No Notification LED...WHY ?

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here something to think about ! the Lumia 925 when charging the phone from a dead battery the start home button use to flash on of as a notification for it . why they never ever used this as a notification LED always stumped me ..

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ms missed out big time with not adding it to the windows logo button, I have seen loads of people saying how great it would have been to have the windows key flash different colours for different things!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had one mobile phone with a notification led, my Sony Ericsson Arc S.

While it was handy to have a led flashing green for text or email, blue for facebook or red for a news flash, I don't really miss this feature now I have moved to a 930.

Notification led is more like a fad like the flashing antennas people used to screw on to there Nokia 5110's back in the day.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Really? In all the years of having mobile phones from different manufacturers I've NEVER had an LED on them. Only ever seen an LED on Blackberry and newer Androids. Can you provide proof?

What you meant to say was "Every landline cordless phone or basestation has and LED or LCD display. That is completely different to having an LED.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of mobile phones models don't have a notification LED. Feel free to produce links etc that prove me wrong.

My Nokia classic "candy bar" 6301 from 2007 had blue flashing LED to remind me of messages and missed calls.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My Sony Ericsson T68i had a green led for network coverage and it turned into battery indicator also and on the other side of it was a blue led to show Bluetooth was on

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
iPhones dont have a notification led, nobody cares. Windows phone doesn't doesn't have a notification led. Everyone loses their mind!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I understand your pain though guys, the notification led was awesome on my blackberry, i set it on blue for facebook, red for bbm and green for whatsapp. Very useful however most of the hardware of the windows phones released don't have a dedicated led however they could use the windows key. But what about the 530, 630 and 730. They will never be able to support an led. Unless microsoft copies the camera flash idea from apple. I hope we see these features in gdr2

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I understand your pain though guys, the notification led was awesome on my blackberry, i set it on blue for facebook, red for bbm and green for whatsapp. Very useful however most of the hardware of the windows phones released don't have a dedicated led however they could use the windows key. But what about the 530, 630 and 730. They will never be able to support an led. Unless microsoft copies the camera flash idea from apple. I hope we see these features in gdr2
that "camera flash idea" is the most annoying thing i've ever experienced when at the cinema for example... a dedicated small led or the windows button as you suggest would be a good idea. I have a 8X and 630 dual sim and even though there would be hardware limitation for the 630, I think if this were implemented then it would probably not be added to all phones, some people will complain but I can't think of another option for those phones

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its a basic feature.
It's a important feature
It's especially important for people who use their phone for business

What's the problem of ms and the oem's ?
Do they think we are all 15 year old and look every 10sec on our phone ?

Do they think it's funny to spent 600$ in a "high end" phone and still miss important calls and emails ?
Personally, I think an audible reminder of missed calls/texts is more important than an LED.
You still have to "look" at your phone, to see the LED flashing (think jacket or pants).
Feature phones, 10 years ago, beeped when you missed a call (sometimes to the point of annoyance).
JJ

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah its a basic feature.
It's a important feature
It's especially important for people who use their phone for business

What's the problem of ms and the oem's ?
Do they think we are all 15 year old and look every 10sec on our phone ?

Do they think it's funny to spent 600$ in a "high end" phone and still miss important calls and emails ?

I want to learn how to see a notification led without looking on my phone!

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you can see a blinking LED even from many meters away and even when just kooking in the general direction of the phone ?
With Glance you have to really look at your phone from close distance.

James Edge

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Back in the '90s, Nokia and Siemens were the only major phone manufacturers that didn't have a notification LED. Although back then it was called a "service light" because it started out as a constantly blinking light to let you know you were within network coverage. It then evolved into a notification LED in the '00s once we had more things to actually be notified of. Nokia added it to some Symbian devices much later.

My Nokia 3220 has NLEDs, was the reason I hung onto it for so long until I got my Blackberry :)

James Edge

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
This looks like one of those cases where Microsoft said "Hey! Look! Apple doesn't have one of those, and their device is really successful, so we don't need it either!" Everyone else has one, and for a reason. It's very useful. Why do you think Nokia added Glance to their devices? People like knowing if they have notifications without touching / picking up their phone.

A notification LED is the only reason I would ever consider a Windows phone without glance, shame the HTC doesn't have one as it's so pretty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss