HTC One M8 for windows Keeps Rebooting

pusta

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I did a restore and brought back most everything from my 928 (except the Nokia apps). No reboots, but would be more than happy to share app lists if that would help you eliminate some. Are you installing the apps in the system storage or on SD? I've seen phones have reboot issues when apps are stored on microSD.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your app list I would be grateful. I am storing apps on the microsd by default, and even went and purchased a new SD card to rule that out. Maybe the os/apps just don't like that functionality just yet. If I can't rule out an app I will try storing them all on phone.

chinniSubhash

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
What's the class of SD card u have inserted? Always use class 10 SD card in wp8.1. And also may be an app is causing this issue. So check the latest app u installed after which this issue started and uninstall it

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
it happen to my L620 when it was still new, itsl just reboot randomly , i thinks its with the OS, but after a week or 2 its not occuring anymore.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
If you wouldn't mind sharing your app list I would be grateful. I am storing apps on the microsd by default, and even went and purchased a new SD card to rule that out. Maybe the os/apps just don't like that functionality just yet. If I can't rule out an app I will try storing them all on phone.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there's an app that does not like being on the SD card. Most of them probably have no issue, but there could be one that may not like it. The first culprits I'd suspect are those that have not been updated in awhile. I don't know if there were any tweaks made when they supported SD card loading of apps in 8.1.

I've only had my phone for a day, but during that time it has not rebooted on it's own. I also have a Class 10 SD Card where my music and podcasts are stored. I'd guess that the rebooting problem presents itself early, so I'll wager that I'm not having it. So here's my full app list for comparison - but these are all in the phone's memory:

7 Minute Workout
7-Minute Workout
AFR
Alarms
Amazon App
Amazon Kindle
Analog Clock Tile
Audible Audiobooks
Backgammon Pro
Battery Saver
Bible
Bing Rewards
Bing Translator
Calculator
Calculator^2
Calendar
Camera
Coca-Cola Freestyle
Cortana
Data Sense
Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Disney Expedition
Facebook
Files
Finance
Financial Calculators
Flashlight-X Pro
Flixster
FM Radio
Food & Drink
Games
Health & Fitness
Help + Tips (beta)
HERE Drive+
HTC Blinkfeed
HTC Camera
HTC Photo Edit
HTC Sense TV
Hulu Plus
Internet Explorer
Jack of Tools Pro
Jetpack Joyride
Last Pass
Linked Inbox
Maps
Messaging
Messenger
Metrotube
Microsoft Solitaire Collection
Music
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
News
NFL Mobile
Office
Office Lens
OneDrive
OneNote
PDF Reader
People
Periodic Table Pro
Phone
Photos
Podcasts
Preview for Developers
ProShot
Reading List
Settings
Shuffle Party
SkyMap
Sports
Storage Sense
Store
Temple Run 2
Travel
Twitter
Verizon Messages Settings
Video
Video Highlights
Voicemail
Walgreens
Wallet
Weather
Weather Radar Live
Wikipedia
Wordament
WP UpTime
WPCentral
Yivosoft Recorder

pusta

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, Mr MacPhisto, I appreciate the time you put in to type that out. I move all apps to the phone minus Plex, Audible and a few games, we'll see how it does today.

With 32gb of phone memory and a sdcard slot why would you need to put any apps on a SD card?

One reason is Plex. I sync a lot of video content from Plex because I fly a lot, and it doesn't give you the option to save to the SD card, in face the app recommends moving to the SD card to save content there. Same deal with Audible. But mostly, when I set up the phone it asked me if I wanted to save everything there. I said yes, because why not? :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Am I reading this correctly? Apps are causing the reboots? For a minute there I thought I was on TreoCentral and reading about the same issues with PalmOS. Too bad the fix isn't as easy as it was for Treos. This is one case where it would have been useful to have a desktop sync program if the solution is to reset and start fresh.

Noremacam

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I had a samsung class 10 microsd card in my galaxy s4 that caused android to crash and burn, wouldn't surprise me if a flawed microsd card causes windows reboots. The best test to see if it reboots with no microsd card inserted at all.

pusta

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think ::fingers crossed:: I found a winner. The reboots started again this morning after configuring some apps, and I believe I narrowed it down to Facebook Messenger. It seems to happen when I log in and pin it to the start screen. I uninstalled the app entirely and no reboots since.

Ironically, if this is the cause, Facebook Messenger does even allow you to install to SD Card :)

pusta

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a samsung class 10 microsd card in my galaxy s4 that caused android to crash and burn, wouldn't surprise me if a flawed microsd card causes windows reboots. The best test to see if it reboots with no microsd card inserted at all.

I tried both a SanDisk and Samsung card in two different phones with same result, this is definitely app related.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why are apps even allowed to do enough to bounce the OS? Shouldn't the app simply crash and toss us back to the Start Screen - or the tile simply switch to static instead of live (if the live features are crashing).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a cheap Android phablet (Blu Life View 8) that is presently at 816 hours of uptime.

Your tablet is just getting warmed up! My Nexus 5 is currently at 1,315 hours and counting.

As to the rebooting problem in the OP, my gut feeling is that it's app related as others have said. Are your apps installed to the SD card?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Your tablet is just getting warmed up! My Nexus 5 is currently at 1,315 hours and counting.

As to the rebooting problem in the OP, my gut feeling is that it's app related as others have said. Are your apps installed to the SD card?

Dude, I got a Yugo and you have a BMW. You BETTER be way ahead of me! :cool:

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Bummer - mine just restarted. 2 days, 4 hours. It was in my pocket, asleep. I just felt the buzz when it bounced.

Penguindrunk

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
so i actually exchanged my phone after 3 days for another m8 because it crashed about 12 times in 3 days... only to have the SAME thing happen with my replacement... So im going to test uninstalling specific apps and find out if it helps. Starting with facebook messenger.

MSFT really needs to fix this though... major bummer to lose functionality ..

Joseph Do

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me, trying to figure out which app could cause this. Someone said it was Facebook Messenger, but I don't have that one my phone. Please let me know if anyone finds the one causing the problems!

pusta

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I originally thought it was Facebook Messenger, but after 5 hours of uptime it rebooted again. I'm basically uninstalling one app at a time until I figure this out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon