The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-28-2015 04:37 PM
163 12345 ...
tools
    This may sound crazy, but those with reboot problems, do you always close apps when done with them, or just hit the Windows button? I noticed my M8 never reboots when I'm actually using it, so I left some apps running in the background all day today, and so far my uptime is 7 hours. Not sure if this is the answer yet, just trying to correlate information.
    08-26-2014 04:15 PM
    This may sound crazy, but those with reboot problems, do you always close apps when done with them, or just hit the Windows button? I noticed my M8 never reboots when I'm actually using it, so I left some apps running in the background all day today, and so far my uptime is 7 hours. Not sure if this is the answer yet, just trying to correlate information.
    No reboot issues here, but I also rarely ever close apps and just let the OS handle it.
    08-26-2014 05:00 PM
    Well to add to this thread I have now replaced my HTC Windows M8 twice and both times it still reboot's. HTC is no help they just tell you to do a hard reset and all should be ok, there Is no apps on my phone at all and it still reboots the only thing is right about of the box and it still reboots, I love the phone and trying to figure out if it is worth keeping and hoe they get it worked out or just trash it 13 days left on my 14 days =(
    08-26-2014 06:48 PM
    As an 8X owner with a phone that restarts sometimes, this worries me.
    08-26-2014 09:33 PM
    Left messaging running in the background all, day today. 14 hours without a reboot. If you are having reboot issues see if leaving an app running fixes it.
    08-26-2014 10:50 PM
    Left messaging running in the background all, day today. 14 hours without a reboot. If you are having reboot issues see if leaving an app running fixes it.
    i'll try it... but thats just kinda crappy... if this is gonna be something they don't fix until a new model comes out then im just gonna have to get something else... as much as i love the phone. this is a pretty bad bug to have out of the box.

looking at another 7 reboots today.. ill try keeping a text messaging page open and like a clock or something that dosnt use data.
    08-26-2014 11:55 PM
    It has to be an app. I have had this phone for about a week no reboots at all
    08-27-2014 07:32 AM
    I dont have the HTC One M8, I have a Nokia Lumia 928. I've never had the reboot issue until updating to the developers preview WP 8.1 Update 1. If I am not mistaken, the HTC One M8 came with WP 8.1 Update 1.

I believe this is a bug in WP 8.1 Update 1. I never had the problem in WP 8.1.

Hope this helps.
    08-27-2014 07:40 AM
    I know it sounds crazy, but I kept an app running in the background yesterday and so far I've had 24 hours of uptime. Prior to that I had several reboots a day. I don't think it's an app causing this, because if I factory reset the phone and don't install anything I get reboots as well. My guess is there's a bug in 8.1.1 relating to idle state or something like that.
    08-27-2014 08:31 AM
    It's definitely an inconsistent issue (which I guess is a good thing?) I've had no resets the last... 36 hours maybe? I check by looking if a bunch of stuff is open when I hold back... and thus far it's been ok.

Are any of you using the Dot case? I noticed that the only time I was getting reboots was the day it was out of the case.

Perhaps the (hidden) background process required by the case keeps it from rebooting?

I'd test it but I'd rather not have my phone rebooting again lol.
    08-27-2014 09:44 AM
    I broke down and swapped the M8 at my local Verizon store for a new one. So far it's been nearly 24 hours and no reboots.

Edit: I insisted on a new SIM card as well - just to make sure.

Edit2: 22 hours - restarted. :-(
    Last edited by Dewg; 08-27-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    08-27-2014 12:58 PM
    It's definitely an inconsistent issue (which I guess is a good thing?) I've had no resets the last... 36 hours maybe? I check by looking if a bunch of stuff is open when I hold back... and thus far it's been ok.

Are any of you using the Dot case? I noticed that the only time I was getting reboots was the day it was out of the case.

Perhaps the (hidden) background process required by the case keeps it from rebooting?

I'd test it but I'd rather not have my phone rebooting again lol.
    This is correct.... So today.. day 6 of owning the phone is the first day i did not have reboots. Because!!!!!........

I had a text message screen open in the background the ENTIRE day. So... Having dot view for now should solve the issue gonna go pick one up.. refrained from getting one at the start because it doesnt offer the durability i want in a case. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

So to all those with this issue.. Who love the phone and don't want to replace it... Just leave messaging open in the background. this is the longest iv gone without a auto restart.. going on 12 hours now. I will update if it restarts with messaging open. to debunk it... but for now it has somewhat solved it.
    Joseph Do likes this.
    08-27-2014 05:29 PM
    I'm just interested how much you guys that have reboot issues have allowed to run in the background via Battery Saver. I have at least half a dozen allowed background tasks with the various Bing apps, the WPCentral app, FB, Messenger, etc. I also hardly ever close things down.

Reboots without windows open is a problem, but one I understand why they missed. They built WP to manage background tasks and not require you to shut things down so much. They should be aware of issues when only the Start Screen is active, but I wonder how much they test it for that functionality.
    08-27-2014 06:36 PM
    I'm just interested how much you guys that have reboot issues have allowed to run in the background via Battery Saver. I have at least half a dozen allowed background tasks with the various Bing apps, the WPCentral app, FB, Messenger, etc. I also hardly ever close things down.

Reboots without windows open is a problem, but one I understand why they missed. They built WP to manage background tasks and not require you to shut things down so much. They should be aware of issues when only the Start Screen is active, but I wonder how much they test it for that functionality.
    I let everything run in the background under battery saver, but I've always closed apps, on every platform I've had, especially Android. As I mentioned above I left apps running in the background and now my phone has been up for 1 day, 12 hours. I was having several reboots a day when closing apps. Not sure why it would make a difference, but this is obviously an OS bug.
    08-27-2014 09:20 PM
    I let everything run in the background under battery saver, but I've always closed apps, on every platform I've had, especially Android. As I mentioned above I left apps running in the background and now my phone has been up for 1 day, 12 hours. I was having several reboots a day when closing apps. Not sure why it would make a difference, but this is obviously an OS bug.
    It is a bug, but not one they'd test for because it's not how Windows Phone is meant to be used. That's not an excuse because it shouldn't happen and I'll wager it will not in the future because it looks to be easily replicatable. WP7 was my first smartphone and Windows Phone has always just managed the multitasking. In the past, they didn't even let us easily close out other apps easily. You could, but you had to back out of them. MS has always said that their way of suspending apps prevents the problem Android runs into.

Microsoft does need to fix it, but I can also tell you there is minimal difference in battery life if those screens remain open. My main reason for closing a window on the phone is to prevent one I want to hold from becoming #7 and falling out completely. I would like a "hold" function that we can use for important apps running that will prevent that. But the OS doesn't allow true multi-tasking like Android does because it's not necessary on a phone and eats battery. I think that will change in the future on some versions that are configured for a tablet when Threshold hits.
    08-28-2014 07:50 AM
    This is correct.... So today.. day 6 of owning the phone is the first day i did not have reboots. Because!!!!!........

I had a text message screen open in the background the ENTIRE day. So... Having dot view for now should solve the issue gonna go pick one up.. refrained from getting one at the start because it doesnt offer the durability i want in a case. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

So to all those with this issue.. Who love the phone and don't want to replace it... Just leave messaging open in the background. this is the longest iv gone without a auto restart.. going on 12 hours now. I will update if it restarts with messaging open. to debunk it... but for now it has somewhat solved it.
    Same for me now, I leave messaging and the calendar open and my phone hasn't restarted for 24 hours now!
    08-28-2014 08:03 AM
    It appears to be WP8.1.1. didn't happen with WP8.1. I have also noticed that it happens when I create live folders on the start screen. When I removed the folders reboots stopped happening.
    08-29-2014 08:20 AM
    I've stopped rebooting - it's been just over 48 hours. All I did was keep Messaging open in the background (as suggested above) - but I also uninstalled Skype. I read several threads about Skype causing rebooting on older Windows Phones, so I thought I'd remove it to see (I don't use it on my phone - I have a Surface tablet for that).

So far - so good.
    08-29-2014 02:54 PM
    It appears to be WP8.1.1. didn't happen with WP8.1. I have also noticed that it happens when I create live folders on the start screen. When I removed the folders reboots stopped happening.
    The M8 is still running whatever software it came with isn't it? It's only been out just over a week.
    I've not experienced any rebooting tho. Also don't worry about closing stuff either.
    FWIW, I use live folders, still no reboots.
    Interesting about Skype. Makes me want to start speculating if the reboots aren't all connected by one or more suspect apps.
    08-29-2014 02:54 PM
    I uninstalled all my Apps from SD and moved them back to the device memory... No reboot issues since! Anyone want to try and confirm this as a help?
    08-29-2014 03:20 PM
    I didn't think mine did but it does as well every now and then.
    08-29-2014 09:28 PM
    It's probably a WP issue and not device related.. My 920 did that all the time, my 1020 less often but still at least once per day, and so does my 925...
    Negative on that. I owned a Focus on WP day one, and had WP since then across a 900, Titan II, 920, and 925; maybe 10 reboots in those 4 years.
    08-30-2014 01:09 AM
    Well - running an app (Messaging) in the background did the trick. I've been a week now, no restarts.
    09-03-2014 05:15 PM
    Well, I've been running the messaging app in the background and it ran for a good 12 hours but just rebooted itself. If it continues to do this into tomorrow I am switching models.
    09-05-2014 12:24 PM
    I have my HTC One M8 since 8/24/14 no random reboots, except for today and found this thread. The only change to the phone in the last 24 hours is activating the Verizon Messaging service for multiple devices, using Office Lens for the first time, and using Here Maps. I have already used Here Drive+ with no problems with rebooting. Also, my Skype app did update last night so maybe on to something with the Skype app causing problems. I will start with uninstalling the messaging service from Verizon and see how that goes.

Also an edit. I have Nokia 923 and Nokia 822 with no rebooting issues. However, with my experience rebooting issues have been more software/app related than Hardware.
    09-12-2014 09:43 AM
163 12345 ...