HTC One M8 for windows Keeps Rebooting

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My 14 days ended yesterday, but planned on keeping my M8 anyway. However, mine did start the rebooting thing, recently. I turn my phone off when I go to bed. One night, I did, set it aside and laid on my pillow. Then, I saw the light come on, as the phone was rebooting. At first, I wondered if I had held the power button too long, causing it to reboot, but I don't think I did. Then, yesterday, I plugged it up to recharge after I let it die completely. I didn't use the usb cable that came with the phone. I used a different one. As soon as the phone came on after I plugged it in, I started to play music on it, then it rebooted again. I did this, at least, three more times and it kept rebooting as soon as I started to play a song. Then, I decided to use the usb charger cable that came with the phone, and it didn't reboot after that. Other than those two incidents, my phone does not reboot at all throughout the day when I am using it or when I just have it sitting around somewhere not being used.

Last edited:

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine pointed me to an app I didn't know existed: Field Medic. I've been running that all day. So far, no issues have arisen but if they do again, I should be able to capture some additional details. I don't have enough posts to share the link, but it's worth looking for.

bajabenedik

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my fourth HTC One M8 Windows Phone in one month with each having the same random rebooting problem. I haven't found any rhyme or reason behind the reboots. Some of the things I've tried so far with no luck in fixing the reboot problems follow:
- Hard reset on each phone
- Hard reset without installing any additional software
- Formatting my SD card
- Removing my SD card
- Keeping an application open in the background
Like I said I've tried all of the above and each phone continues to randomly reboot. I've talked to Verizon more times than I care to remember and they said they've opened up a trouble ticket with HTC. I'm actually on the phone with Verizon and HTC at the same time with them trying to figure out what is causing this issue. I will update as I find out more.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had it happen in awhile now, have Skype installed and haven't done anything special. Stopped using case most of the time as well. Who knows lol.

Noremacam

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello all, I have another theory(though I don't own this phone yet, but tomorrow :-D). If it's happening while sitting in your pocket, or while charging, then it might help to look at what the phone does while idle, like syncing accounts. So maybe we should look at what kinds of accounts we're syncing: gmail, outlook, contacts, calendar, etc. Maybe some users have special characters in some calendar event that it can't handle, or special characters contact name/fields. Maybe something chokes it up during sync services that it wasn't expecting.

ShannyMan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
After collecting a ton of Field Medic data, I've learned that I don't know how to interpret the reports! But the problem seems to appear and disappear upon the installation and uninstallation of the Bing Weather app, as someone else has also mentioned. When the app is installed, it also stopped happening when the phone is in airplane mode (likely a check for internet connection prevents the app from doing anything else).
If anyone has experience reading those Field Medic/Performance reports, I would be very interested in learning. Thanks.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how to do a soft reset. Nor do I know what all will be affected by it. BW crumbs?:)
Vol down and power, press together till the screen goes dark and vibrates. BW = Bing weather.
A soft reset is a step above a simple reboot. If your phone is running fine you wont notice any difference as it doesn't delete anything, not like a hard reset which deletes you back to factory fresh settings. I usually do a soft reset if I'm unfortunate enough to have some app issue after I've removed the offending app. Generally I do it a couple of times a month on average anyway. Just a way to houseclean. I also reboot each morning as part of starting my day. I never have issues with my phones either so maybe I'm onto something.:wink::smile::smile:

bajabenedik

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So I talked to HTC today about this issue and they said they have nothing on record of this problem. They gave me three options of trying to get this fixed and each option has me paying out of my own pocket to ship it to them where they will fix the problem and send the phone back to me. I told them I was not keen paying out of my own pocket for shipping to have them fix their phone which is buggy. Not sure how I'm going to proceed at this point. Does anybody know when the Nokia Lumia Icon phone will be getting the WP8.1 update?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So I talked to HTC today about this issue and they said they have nothing on record of this problem. They gave me three options of trying to get this fixed and each option has me paying out of my own pocket to ship it to them where they will fix the problem and send the phone back to me. I told them I was not keen paying out of my own pocket for shipping to have them fix their phone which is buggy. Not sure how I'm going to proceed at this point. Does anybody know when the Nokia Lumia Icon phone will be getting the WP8.1 update?
Since it would seem a lot more M8 owners do not have this issue than have it , it makes one wonder if its not software related and by that I mean some software that was installed after the phone was fired up for the first time. If I were having this problem I'd be looking at apps or anything else I've installed since I got it. I'd probably just do a hard reset and use the phone bare bones without anything outside installed at all. Some are saying Bing Weather could be an issue, I'd uninstall that one first. SD card? Another thing to consider. Bad Sim? Try a new one, free at Verizon. Lots can be done before giving up. Don't wait on the icon for the official 8.1 as you could be waiting quite awhile from the looks of things. Maybe it was a bad batch from HTC and theres no fixing it, who knows for sure? But HTC wont admit to anything that is for sure. If you've already tried the hard reset then you've done a lot to try a fix, if not try it, can't hurt. BTW, if you take it in to a Verizon store and tell them about it they'd probably say hard reset also. Good Luck

bajabenedik

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Since it would seem a lot more M8 owners do not have this issue than have it , it makes one wonder if its not software related and by that I mean some software that was installed after the phone was fired up for the first time. If I were having this problem I'd be looking at apps or anything else I've installed since I got it. I'd probably just do a hard reset and use the phone bare bones without anything outside installed at all. Some are saying Bing Weather could be an issue, I'd uninstall that one first. SD card? Another thing to consider. Bad Sim? Try a new one, free at Verizon. Lots can be done before giving up. Don't wait on the icon for the official 8.1 as you could be waiting quite awhile from the looks of things. Maybe it was a bad batch from HTC and theres no fixing it, who knows for sure? But HTC wont admit to anything that is for sure. If you've already tried the hard reset then you've done a lot to try a fix, if not try it, can't hurt. BTW, if you take it in to a Verizon store and tell them about it they'd probably say hard reset also. Good Luck

I've already done everything you've suggested. The one thing I'm trying now is to leave the messaging app open in the background to see if the random reboots quit. I've talked to Verizon more times than I care to remember and they know I've tried several hard resets to no avail. They are as stumped as I am.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh, wow. Frequent reboot issues? Just as I was eyeing on this phone to somewhat play with before (hopefully not) replacing my 1020. I really do hope the future unlocked international version will solve this issue.

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine has not rebooted in over 4 days now. The only thing I have done is turned all my apps off so they don't run in the back ground. I only have Cortana, Music, and my Calendar apps running in the background. Plus I leave open my calendar and music app. I have not used the Bing weather app since I turned it off from running in the background. I have been getting my weather from NOAA over internet explorer. I have that pinned to my start screen. I am not sure if the weather app was the one causing the reboot but I didn't like that app anyway. Most of the time it was very inaccurate and didn't update the tile like it should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad