HTC One M8 for windows Keeps Rebooting

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I think my rebooting was a app. cause for the 1st 3 weeks I had no rebooting at all, then I had one day of rebooting then Nothing again now for over 8 days. I do not shut off my phone and I have not rebooted it myself. Its been running perfectly. So far since I reinstalled Bing Weather early afternoon it still has not rebooted. Maybe the app just got stuck or hung up on some bad data.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know mine had an issue until I was charging it at my workstation. I really do not understand how people are documenting the number of times for rebooting. Unless you are watching 24/ 7 how do you know it does not have a problem?

You can be reasonably sure that almost none of these people in denial actually have an uptime app on their phone to verify if it reboots. Android reboots, WP reboots. I've not seen iOS reboot, but I wouldn't be shocked if it does. It is how embedded OSes handle critical errors, whether caused by the OS, hardware, or an application installed.

Heck...its how Windows x86 handles it too unless you turn off the reboot option.

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an app installed called WP Uptime. It has the system uptime, the last time it was rebooted, your record uptime, and the record uptime date. My last reboot was 9/19/2014 7:08:41 PM

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a asimilar app. I was referring to those who don't think rebooting is an issue on anything but this phone.

I have an app installed called WP Uptime. It has the system uptime, the last time it was rebooted, your record uptime, and the record uptime date. My last reboot was 9/19/2014 7:08:41 PM

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been reading this thread, but I just wanted to add my two cents since this seems to be keeping some people from buying this awesome phone. I've had mine for about a month now and it's never rebooted. I uninstalled almost all the apps the phone came with when I first turned it on, and only manually downloaded and installed about 10 apps total. One of those is Bing Weather, and it's always worked fine.

I know how frustrating it is to have a PC or phone problem that no one else seems to be able to solve, but please don't be scared away from the phone because of what seems to be at least a somewhat isolated issue. And good luck to everyone who does have this problem! Hopefully it'll be fixed for you all soon!

WPButtcheeks

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been reading this thread, but I just wanted to add my two cents since this seems to be keeping some people from buying this awesome phone. I've had mine for about a month now and it's never rebooted. I uninstalled almost all the apps the phone came with when I first turned it on, and only manually downloaded and installed about 10 apps total. One of those is Bing Weather, and it's always worked fine.

I know how frustrating it is to have a PC or phone problem that no one else seems to be able to solve, but please don't be scared away from the phone because of what seems to be at least a somewhat isolated issue. And good luck to everyone who does have this problem! Hopefully it'll be fixed for you all soon!

I really want this phone but I don't want a repeat of my 928 experience last year, went thru four phones all with reboot issues before I dumped it for a note 3.
Really really want this phone but I don't think I want the headache. Seems to me that it is just an OS issue and that's sad because I really like what Microsoft has going on, just iron out the kinks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I really want this phone but I don't want a repeat of my 928 experience last year, went thru four phones all with reboot issues before I dumped it for a note 3.
Really really want this phone but I don't think I want the headache. Seems to me that it is just an OS issue and that's sad because I really like what Microsoft has going on, just iron out the kinks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Totally understand your concern. I've had mine since release day and never had a spontaneous reboot yet(knock wood). Since no one really knows why some do and most don't but, it is a crap shoot to a certain extent. If 10% were known rebooters and 90% were not id think those were pretty decent odds. Its always something with these phones tho. Since Verizon gives a 14 day no questions asked return policy I would think that would be a good test for reboots. FWIW, my M8 is on 24/7 as I never shut it down EXCEPT, each and every morning when I take it off the charger I reboot it purposely to start the day fresh. I also never overload it with apps. I have one game(scrabble) on it and a few other utilities that I have used on other phones that have never given me trouble. If I do test a new app, which is rare for me, I am fully prepared to monitor its performance and any subsequent possible issues. Anyway, this be my M/O. Works for me and my problems are minimal to non existent. Good luck with your decision.

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If you really want this phone then get it. Its a great phone. I had mine for 3 weeks then it started rebooting but only for 1 day. I have been going for over 10 days with out a reboot now since that happened. I think it was an app hanging up that was causing it. But you can have apps hang up and cause rebooting in any phone, doesn't matter if its android or IOS. I had my iPhone get stuck rebooting once in a while too but it came out of it, Just like this one did. Its a great phone and I love it.

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
On my second m8 now. First one started rebooting after a few weeks, got it replaced. Second one was fine up until today. I was trying to connect to my Bluetooth speaker and it rebooted. :(

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My phone has now been rebooting about once a day. Contacted htc support and they wanted to calibrate the battery lol. That didn't work and then they wanted my original receipt before doing anything. Awesome support...

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Once a day isn't bad. I had about 1 day of rebooting every hour. Since I turned off all apps from running in the back ground then slowly turning on the apps I want to run in the back ground I now have been going for over 24 days with out any reboots. I did how ever reboot myself this morning cause things were starting to run a little sluggish. Same with any operating system, I had to do the same thing when I had IPhone, manually rebooted about every week or two. Probably do the same now, I just wanted to see how long it would go with out rebooting on its own and I guess that problem is solved.

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I was actually using the phone today when it rebooted. The cell signal in the status bar changed to the airplane mode symbol right before it rebooted itself.

epyon9283

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So I got a call last night from someone on the special projects team at HTC. Unfortunately I didn't answer but he left a voicemail saying they were calling me back due to my negative feedback after a prior support request. Apparently they've isolated the cause of the random reboots and are working on a patch with no ETA. It's supposedly caused by a high number of live tiles on the home screen. He said if you limit the number (didn't give specifics) it should fix it for now.

wty47

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had my HTC One M8 for Windows phone for about 2 months and it has been rebooting from one to three times a day. It's annoying but at least it doesn't reboot while I'm using the phone. I performed a soft reset which did nothing to correct the problem and was about to do a hard reset when I read epyon9283's post. As suggested, I reduced the number of live tiles I was using from 11 to 6. No reason for 6 other than that's what I felt I needed. It's been 2 days since I did that and the phone has not rebooted. Reducing the number of live tiles seems to have resolved the rebooting problem, at least in my case. Hopefully, HTC will develop a patch to fix this problem permanently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb