Battery comparison HTC M8: Android vs Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No doubt about HTC One M8 being a superb device but the user interface of Android is no way laggy nor unfriendly, and I can't believe how you haven't met someone that doesn't love Android, because I meet such people everyday.

Google doesn't push out ads on my Nexus 5, and is working on resolving the issues that people have with it. If you've ever picked up a recent Android device, apart from the Samsung ones, you'll see that Android isn't laggy.

Battery life has remained a concern for some people and Google plans to resolve that as well in Android L, with Project Volta and the ART runtime.

The reason why the Windows Phone variant had better battery is because it doesn't allow apps to do much(if anything) in the background, you mostly have to keep an app open to do trivial things like sending a photo or video, whereas all this happens in the background on Android.

The way Windows Phone saves battery made it very frustrating for me to do more than one task at a time.

You are wrong about a lot of what you say.

actually ive had my nexus 5 freeze up and lag on me more times than my 720
also both are running latest consumer builds on their respective Os's
the nexus 5 has ART enabled in place of dalvik and battery life also is still bad
i personally dont like androids UI,its unnecessarily complicated and you need to rely on third party stuff more often than on WP

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay folks, not that the debate isn't interesting, and not that I wouldn't have a lot to add myself, but to what extent Android is or is not open source, what the term and practical use of being "open" even is, and what it actually means to be an Android device, rather than an Android derivative, isn't the topic here.

[WARN]The topic here is: battery life for the HTC One (m8) models.[/WARN]
Feel free to create a new thread if necessary, but let's get this thread back on track. Thank you.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The reason why the Windows Phone variant had better battery is because it doesn't allow apps to do much(if anything) in the background, you mostly have to keep an app open to do trivial things like sending a photo or video, whereas all this happens in the background on Android.

The way Windows Phone saves battery made it very frustrating for me to do more than one task at a time.

You are wrong about a lot of what you say.
Apps can stay in the background doing tasks like uploading/downloading etc. in WP8.1. (They don't even need to stay in the multitasking screen for that) What you are saying is about WP8.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It is true...you only have to use their services if you are running their variations of THEIR os...and as I said before..to be able to utilize their applications....

Open source is just that..Open..all of the various versions that they have developed needs their services..but..it's not the only way.

Agreed. OpenSource is a big part of the way things are moving, not only in the mobile technology world but also in telecommunications and IT environment services. Opensource by any means isn't a negative in my books, i actually consider it a positive...if utilized properly, which in my field i've experienced can work both negative/positive. I honestly do not consider Google any 'worse' than Apple or Microsoft, even if some believe their motives for this business are purely Ad revenue generating data ( honestly believe this applies to all 3). I agree with the point that mass market wise, people do not want to micromanage their mobile phones ...i know i certainly dont. But even with WP, im micromanaging to achieve reasonable battery life....its frustrating. I know many will disagree with me but you know what, at this point im so fed up with WP and how it keeps me guessing myself...i would rather have Androids tools to help me investigate my application/process problems than taking guessing with WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Apps can stay in the background doing tasks like uploading/downloading etc. in WP8.1. (They don't even need to stay in the multitasking screen for that) What you are saying is about WP8.

And how many apps take advantage of the new API? Very few apps...

actually ive had my nexus 5 freeze up and lag on me more times than my 720
also both are running latest consumer builds on their respective Os's
the nexus 5 has ART enabled in place of dalvik and battery life also is still bad
i personally dont like androids UI,its unnecessarily complicated and you need to rely on third party stuff more often than on WP

I'll just say this, the Lumia 520 and 720 have identical hardware and the 520 was slow and nowhere near my Nexus 5, but if you want to continue this discussion, message me.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
And how many apps take advantage of the new API? Very few apps...

I'll just say this, the Lumia 520 and 720 have identical hardware and the 520 was slow and nowhere near my Nexus 5, but if you want to continue this discussion, message me.

You're really comparing the speed of a 520 to a Nexus 5????? :eck:

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
He was, not me, I just shared my experience.
This is my last post on this as it seems a lot of Android people have crossed over to WP to quazi troll, but he said that his Nexus freezes up and lag more than his 720. Pretty sure he wasn't saying his 720 is faster than the Nexus, just that the OS seemed more stable. You then proceed to say that your Nexus 5 is faster than a Lumia 520? A Lumia 520. The CHEAPEST Lumia they make. If your Nexus 5 isn't as fast, then there's something seriously wrong. By the way, there's a difference between stability and being fast. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos