Battery comparison HTC M8: Android vs Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why I couldn't find anything about this in the forums but guys at Slash Gear have managed to get both, Android and Windows Phone versions of the HTC M8, and they're doing a very interesting comparison regarding their battery life.

So far Windows Phone performance is terrific, I believe this kind of news should get more exposed.

Source (in case you missed the link above): HTC One M8 Windows vs Android Battery Wars - SlashGear

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Not at all surprised tho as my WP M8 seems to have excellent battery life over any android I've owned. Thanks for posting.

Johntee540

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up the phone last Friday. I loaded up a bunch of new music I wanted to get caught up as well as several TedTalk; Wait Wait Don't Tell me; Radio Lab; and Prairie Home Companion Podcasts. Monday I drove to TN and back from Washington DC. Listened via Bluetooth connection with my car to all my music and most of the podcasts. About 900 miles and 14 hours and the battery still had 49% on it even after several phone calls during the trip. I hope the battery continues with this kind of performance. - JT

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why I couldn't find anything about this in the forums but guys at Slash Gear have managed to get both, Android and Windows Phone versions of the HTC M8, and they're doing a very interesting comparison regarding their battery life.

So far Windows Phone performance is terrific, I believe this kind of news should get more exposed.

Source (in case you missed the link above): HTC One M8 Windows vs Android Battery Wars - SlashGear

Though it's nice that the Windows Phone variant handles the battery better, it's probably because Windows Phone suspends most background tasks and applications.

Plus maybe just maybe, the extra gestures on the Android variant could also be taking up more battery(could be)

But I'll stay tuned to this test.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Though it's nice that the Windows Phone variant handles the battery better, it's probably because Windows Phone suspends most background tasks and applications.

Plus maybe just maybe, the extra gestures on the Android variant could also be taking up more battery(could be)

But I'll stay tuned to this test.

Agreed, I believe a fair test would require multiple scenarios involving using applications or browsing the internet, streaming video. I find WP8.1 does a good job while in idle state conserving battery, but once in use the battery drains pretty quickly. Nonetheless its nice to know the phone can go idle for a long period of time.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, I believe a fair test would require multiple scenarios involving using applications or browsing the internet, streaming video. I find WP8.1 does a good job while in idle state conserving battery, but once in use the battery drains pretty quickly. Nonetheless its nice to know the phone can go idle for a long period of time.

Plus the fact that widgets on Android do take up more battery than live tiles, primarily because live tiles refresh every 30 minutes(unless a notification comes through).

Plus apps on Windows Phone can technically run under the lockscreen, however can't fully function in the background.

Plus HTC One M8 will be getting a boost in battery by about 30 to 40% when Android L arrives.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Funny test...

The problem with it is the Android phone isn't set up to do the same thing as the WP.

Turn off the background task,run the battery savers that each have and then compare them. Then try each with the extreme battery mode...

I've used my phone a lot today,including using turn bye turn maps calls text utube browsing..still at 60% with it off the charger for 16 hours..so it's all in how it's set up to run..

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line is it lasts longer than any android I've ever used. The reason why doesn't concern me much. My M8 has excellent battery life and I chuckle when I read people complaining about no wireless charging. I used that alot with my icon. With my M8 I don't need to charge but once a night. This is truly one sweet device. I have to work at it to get the battery down.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I took this screen capture after I posted prior not bad for a Android phone ehh..

Attachments

• 13820.jpg
    13820.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 17

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
My brother and I use our phones in similar ways, so the one real life comparison I can make is after 9 hours for each. His was at 67% and mine at 83%. Both are good numbers, but I know how impressive the M8 is after using the 928. That phone would be done to 40% or less after 9 hours.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would think that they will be very close if both are set up the same.

One must realize however, that there is only one configuration where the setup is 'the same', which is when we have no apps installed on either and all background tasks deactivated on both. In such a configuration both devices will exhibit similar battery life. It's just that such a test is completely useless, because that isn't how our devices are actually used. We own smartphones to run apps...

As soon as you install apps, even if they are the same ones, that is when differences in battery life become apparent. The delta will vary, depending on which apps are installed. Furthermore, depending on the apps used, the delta might be very small or gigantic.

Android gives apps the ability to run whenever they want for as long as they want. If you use such apps, you must pay for that ability with battery power. Simple as that.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
True but initial settings for both have to be able to operate the same way.

Background task can be set to shut down in closing in each..same for the way synchronization is done.

Each have battery optimization and each must be approached the same way otherwise any"testing" is skewed and giving false sense of superiority..

In other words each must be setup the same way initially..Then each aspect can be tested individually .

Just because a WP m8 does something automatically,doesn't mean that the Android version is worse off just because you have to tweak a setting that just makes it easier on setting up the phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Background task can be set to shut down in closing in each..same for the way synchronization is done.

I see what you are saying.

The question is whether that approach accurately represents how people use their devices. I suspect that for most it does not.

In a way, there is no perfect battery test, except the one you do yourself, with your own devices, setup the way you use them, because any change to apps used or battery settings really can make a big difference.

I question the usefulness of tests like the one mentioned by the OP, simply because they don't mention any of this. They don't state how the devices were setup, nor do they provide any analysis of the results. Pretty amateurish if you ask me.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I see what you are saying.

The question is whether that approach accurately represents how people use their devices. I suspect that for most it does not.

In a way, there is no perfect battery test, except the one you do yourself, with your own devices, setup the way you use them, because any change to apps used or battery settings really can make a big difference.

I question the usefulness of tests like the one mentioned by the OP, simply because they don't mention any of this. They don't state how the devices were setup, nor do they provide any analysis of the results. Pretty amateurish if you ask me.

The controlled tests are largely meaningless. I'd be interested in someone carrying a fresh One M8 for Android for a week with their normal usage and apps then following that with a One M8 for Windows the next with their normal usage and comparing the battery life.

Offhand, I would say that the One for Windows will do better on battery for the average user because the average Android user does not manage their open apps very well and Windows Phone is set up to require little or no management. A power user will have a different experience because they are more likely to manage the apps.

It'd be interesting just to see an average user use both and report battery findings.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The controlled tests are largely meaningless. I'd be interested in someone carrying a fresh One M8 for Android for a week with their normal usage and apps then following that with a One M8 for Windows the next with their normal usage and comparing the battery life.

Offhand, I would say that the One for Windows will do better on battery for the average user because the average Android user does not manage their open apps very well and Windows Phone is set up to require little or no management. A power user will have a different experience because they are more likely to manage the apps.

It'd be interesting just to see an average user use both and report battery findings.

I think you're underestimating the average Android user these days.

Battery management has been on the forefront of discussions with everyone on Android because of how bad it's used to be. You just have to look in the app store for how many battery apps there are there.

The manufacturers have gotten much better in past year for this,as well as the os being able to take advantage of the latest chipset out.

While I agree with you that WP is easier to the uninformed,I also know that Android on my m8 can be very frugal too. That's the difference between platforms..one has to be in control,the other let's you decide for yourself....lol

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you're underestimating the average Android user these days.

Battery management has been on the forefront of discussions with everyone on Android because of how bad it's used to be. You just have to look in the app store for how many battery apps there are there.

The manufacturers have gotten much better in past year for this,as well as the os being able to take advantage of the latest chipset out.

While I agree with you that WP is easier to the uninformed,I also know that Android on my m8 can be very frugal too. That's the difference between platforms..one has to be in control,the other let's you decide for yourself....lol

I don't think Android is as frugal. My main comparison is my brother's Android M8 and I get better battery every day so far - and by pretty large margins. There are still underlying issues on Android that make it the biggest battery hog of the three mobile OSes. That's not to say it's bad, but it's management of apps make sit so. And this is largely because Google can't get apps to mostly hibernate when not on screen. They've reportedly attempted to get it to work that way and haven't been able to implement it.

The M8 gets great battery life either way, but the Windows Phone version is staggering to me. Clearly better than real world usage against someone running the same phone with Android.

I also would say that you overestimate most Android users. I hear nothing but complaints of how terrible Android's battery life is and what a pain it is to have to manage apps all day or find an app that can do it effectively. It's a shame MS is in their current position in mobile, because I have yet to talk to a single average user that actually likes Android, they just feel like they have no choice other than Apple. Microsoft needs to make sure they know they have a choice and the more who choose Windows Phone, the more there will be no app complaints outside of the Google stuff, but Google will be Yahoo in five years anyways. Their per ad revenue is in steep decline and if you thought they were intrusive before, wait until they are trying to prop up their quarterly reports by getting even more invasive.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Except it's not just about uninformed vs informed. I don't want to have to micromanage my apps in that way. It's a chor that shouldn't require a human brain to involve itself with such menial tasks. I don't want every new app I install to be a potential battery killer if not configured correctly.

I also think you are overestimating the average smartphone user (not just Android user) :) At least in my experience, most couldn't be bothered to even look at battery settings. For most, if it doesn't work reliably out of the box, the product is poor or buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)