Just got the HTC One and so far everything except Office 365 seems to be working fine.

Tap the Office tile, it opens and does a setup asking for my login and password, then it says 'we had a problem' or some such.

I've tried a dozen times and it still won't work. Chatted with MS support and they said download the apps from the store and then to the setup. Problem is I can't find them on the store.

HELP!!

Lloyd

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    08-27-2014 04:28 PM
    Hmmm I have the same issue. I went into Office on the phone. Found Office 365 and clicked on it. I attempted to sign in and received the same issue. But my question what are the benefits of this? I can already access all my docs from OneDrive already. I'm not even sure if this part of Office worked on WP before. Also you can't uninstall the Office apps which is why you won't find them in the store.
    08-27-2014 06:38 PM
    Thanks for the feedback.

I did notice that OneNote was working properly.

And that if I go to OneDrive I can open files there with the proper app. I'm assuming that it is opening with the web version vice what's on the phone but it was sure quick about it.

But if it sets up properly, it is supposed to have an Office Hub which is part of it. Don't know the value of that.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    08-27-2014 06:48 PM
    It appears that if I open a document on OneDrive it is using the appropriate app that is installed in the phone. Can't tell for sure 'cause so much is hidden with the way the OS/UI works.

But I need/want the Office setup to work, otherwise you cannot create a new Office document on the phone. Yeah I know, who the hell wants to with a 5" screen? But still... :)

08-27-2014 07:24 PM
    The office 365 is for business users and not for home, university or personal 365 users.

You just need to use skydrive/onedrive to get to your documents either inside of Office or the app itself.
    Laura Knotek and romant56 like this.
    08-27-2014 08:35 PM
    Where did you get that information? I've searched all over the 'net and even talked to MS and couldn't get any help.

They really should say that somewhere.

08-27-2014 08:48 PM
    Where did you get that information? I've searched all over the 'net and even talked to MS and couldn't get any help.

They really should say that somewhere.

I thought this was common knowledge because your files are not stored in Office 365, it is stored in One Drive.
    08-27-2014 08:55 PM
    I think we're miscommunication.

Office 365 saves the documents in OneDrive. The 5 user Office 365 saves it in personal OneDrive while the business subscriptions use OneDrive Pro or some such.

But on the phone is an Office tile. From everything I read that should open an Office Hub, whatever that is and from there I should be able to run Word or Excel or whatever is part of Office 365 for Windows Phone.

Since it will not allow me to set that up with my valid Office365 login/password, I cannot open an Office app except by opening an existing document on OneDrive. IOW, cannot create an original document.

There is nothing in the documentation for the phone or anywhere else that indicates that I should not be able to do that. And there are posts from some who have done it, but not on the HTC One.

08-27-2014 09:01 PM
    You can create a new document by pressing the plus sign. It will save to your Microsoft account.
    08-27-2014 10:21 PM
    For non-business users, all documents are held on onedrive.com, for business accounts it will be on office365.com.

If you do not have a business account than you can't log into office365 from your phone. There is no need, all office365 does for home, personal and university is by having a link to download the office apps to tablets/PCs.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish by logging into office 365 from your phone for documents when that isn't what it's used for.

I most likely don't understand, or maybe you have a business account and it isn't working.

You should see all your office documents that are saved to onedrive by going to onedrive in your office hub
    lparsons21 and romant56 like this.
    08-27-2014 10:27 PM
    Let me say first that I'm using a Lumia 920, so if your problems are directly caused by running on the M8, you'll see something different than I have. However, if it's not related to the hardware, maybe I can help.

The way you create a new document in the Office hub is to swipe over to the recent page, then tap the + at the bottom. That will bring up the list of blank documents and templates. It should allow you to create new documents on your phone or on any accessible OneDrive even without setting up Office 365. If that's not the case, then I'd say you have an issue you should report to MS. (And yes, I realize you've tried already. Too bad they didn't understand your issue, but maybe the additional info I'm giving you will help you communicate with them.)

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly all I gained by doing the Office 365 setup was that my email account was added to my phone automatically (rather than having to add it manually in my Accounts list), I gained access to my employer's OneDrive (in addition to my personal OneDrive which I had already activated), and I gained access to my employer's Sharepoint folders. These all showed up on the places page once I completed the setup. I think I tried redoing the setup once before I understood that that was everything, an attempt which gave me an error, although I don't know now which error it was. If you have your Office OneDrive showing under places and an entry for opened attachments under email, you may have everything you're going to get. If you don't, I'd agree that you have a reportable problem.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. If not, please post screen shots of what you see in Office, as that will make it easier to help you.
    Last edited by aikidaves; 08-27-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added final sentence
    08-27-2014 10:39 PM
    Aha!! That cleared it up.

Between the two of you it finally sunk in. Very easy and simple to accomplish.

That Office365 setup routine was the confusing part. I did read a lot last night on the 'net and every article always talked about that routine and O365 for business but never actually said it didn't actually work for home.

Thanks guys.

the escape club likes this.
    08-28-2014 07:12 AM

That Office365 setup routine was the confusing part. I did read a lot last night on the 'net and every article always talked about that routine and O365 for business but never actually said it didn't actually work for home.

Thanks guys.

I think it would be wise for MS to tag the Office 365 link as "Office 365 for Business" to avoid the confusion. Part of it is due to the need to have any Office 365 account to edit documents on Android or iPhone, something we've never needed on Windows Phone.
    08-28-2014 07:20 AM
    I think it would be wise for MS to tag the Office 365 link as "Office 365 for Business" to avoid the confusion. Part of it is due to the need to have any Office 365 account to edit documents on Android or iPhone, something we've never needed on Windows Phone.
    Especially for us coming from iPhones. The reason setting up Office 365 made so much sense was that I had to do that on my iPhone. This was just confusion considering the paucity of actual documentation provided with things these days.
    08-28-2014 07:32 AM
    Especially for us coming from iPhones. The reason setting up Office 365 made so much sense was that I had to do that on my iPhone. This was just confusion considering the paucity of actual documentation provided with things these days.
    Understandable and they need to consider that. MS needs to make any transition from another platform as smooth as possible. For those of us that have been on WP for years, Office works just as it always has. It was like that on WP7 before Office 365 was even around, but now Office is multi-platform.

As long as it's communicated properly, the Windows Phone functionality with Office is simple and actually uses the Apple mantra - It Just Works. But people are used to having separate logins. MS needs to better let them know that only one login is needed to use all MS services.
    08-28-2014 07:43 AM
    What do you guys mean office365 Home doesn't work on WP? I have it, and it works. It's been a reaaaaaally like time since I did initial setup though (920)
    08-28-2014 07:54 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm glad that you've got it now. I agree totally with everyone here that better, more accessible documentation from MS would help prevent issues like this. I work with IBM products, and the contrast of MS's meager documentation with the masses of information that IBM provides is always a bit of a shock to me.
    08-28-2014 08:01 AM
    What do you guys mean office365 Home doesn't work on WP? I have it, and it works. It's been a reaaaaaally like time since I did initial setup though (920)
    I don't see in this thread where anyone said it doesn't work. It's just that setting it up on WP doesn't produce the obvious advantages that it does on the iPhone that the OP came from, since WP has alternatives for accessing the Office resources that aren't there in iOS.
    08-28-2014 08:09 AM
    There is no point to set up office 365 home if the MS account for office 365 is the same as the one you set up on your phone because it is already set up. If that makes any sense. :)
    romant56 and the escape club like this.
    08-28-2014 08:46 AM
    There is no point to set up office 365 home if the MS account for office 365 is the same as the one you set up on your phone because it is already set up. If that makes any sense. :)
    Exactly!
    08-28-2014 09:11 AM
    Hrrmmmm
    08-28-2014 10:44 AM
    I've just spent over 2 hours on the phone with both MS and Nokia with the exact same query as the OP had.

Nokia are trying to work it out and are going to call me back.

Being new to a WP I just didn't understand it and whenever I touched on the Office tile on my phone it kept asking me for a login for setup.

After getting off the phone with Nokia, I just started playing around with the phone and half worked it out. Thanks for all the explanations in this thread.

10-19-2014 08:50 PM