M8 for Windows or wait for Moto X+1?/Iphone6

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Debating on whether I should pickup the W8 now or wait to see what the Moto X+1 and iphone 6 have in store..

Had a HTC 8x / Nokia L928 previously, moved to Moto X. I'm happy but have been keeping up with WP waiting for an excuse to come back.

​Thoughts?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't hurt anything to wait. I'm very interested in the M8, but I'm going to wait until the phones you mentioned are out for sure.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd say get the M8. It will do you no good to constantly wait for everything. Trust me, because them the M9 will come, or the Note 4, or anything really. If it suits you, buy it now. Just my opinion.

arbelnox

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
M8 is definitely a great leap device from your last Windows phone. But if you are a happy Moto X user, then I would strongly suggest you to wait for Moto X+1 confirmation in given period set by your own. While at the same time also have a look on what Nokia is going to offer in year 2014 flagship devices.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd say get the M8. It will do you no good to constantly wait for everything. Trust me, because them the M9 will come, or the Note 4, or anything really. If it suits you, buy it now. Just my opinion.

In less than two months the iPhone,moto x successor and the Note 4 will be out, so I don't see why waiting is a bad thing unless the op is pretty much set on a windows phone.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
In less than two months the iPhone,moto x successor and the Note 4 will be out, so I don't see why waiting is a bad thing unless the op is pretty much set on a windows phone.

Because in 2 months, another new phone is coming out, then two months later, ANOTHER new phone will be coming out, and on and on and on. It's useless to just sit and wait forever.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Because in 2 months, another new phone is coming out, then two months later, ANOTHER new phone will be coming out, and on and on and on. It's useless to just sit and wait forever.

True for most times of the year but not for now. In less than 2 weeks we'll have seen the new iPhone, Note, Moto X, Lumia and Sony Z 3. And all of them will be out long before Christmas.

It's not like MWC or CES where phones are announced who come out 6 months later, if ever.

Buying now would not be wise.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
There is always something right around the corner. Its not like phones get slower when something new comes out. So if someone likes what they see, there is no reason to wait.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
If I like the Note3 I probably also like the Note 4. In 3 weeks there won't be a Note 5 around the corner.
So there is a good reason to wait, if only to buy the existing phone at a lower price, thanks to the successor.

Especially if you rock a Moto X at the moment which is fully capable to serve all of your needs.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
If I like the Note3 I probably also like the Note 4. In 3 weeks there won't be a Note 5 around the corner.

This is true, for you. It is natural for us to use our own applied logic when giving advice to others, but that is why the advice is inherently flawed.

I had a Note 2, then a Note 3. I could have waited for the Note 4, but I decided I wanted a change of scenery and a departure from Android jank. My mind wouldn't have changed when the Note 4 comes out, so there was no drawback to getting the M8 especially since we know WP is less reliant on heavy handed hardware to perform well.

Two totally different outlooks, and neither of them are wrong. I am just saying, there is always something around the corner, especially when you skip around with different brands like you did. The only time something new isn't around the corner is when you stick with a particular brand and line of phones such as the Note devices.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't hurt to wait. There's been some chatter that Moto will also be offering Windows Phone versions of many of their devices once Lenovo fully takes over. Lenovo has been very interested in making both kinds of handsets and sees offering two experiences on the same hardware is beneficial.

I don't see Samsung doing that, though there are still indicators that a new WP handset is coming from Samsung and a Note style may be a variety. Same goes for the LG G3. LG has a device out there and I've heard a VZW friend say it's the G3 with Windows that should launch by October across carriers.

By Christmas season, there will be more phones for Android, iOS, and Windows. Many Android handsets will have Windows options or direct equivalents (like the ATIV SE, which is not too far off the S5 spec - though it didn't launch everywhere).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Having a 1020 and itching to get a newer device, I would agree with the ones suggesting to wait...at least a few weeks. There are so many huge announcements expected with great successor phones...its not like the m8 will be gone in a month or so.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not arguing this part of your post

There is always something right around the corner.

I'm arguing this part:
Adrynalyne said:
So if someone likes what they see, there is no reason to wait.

There are are a couple of reasons why someone would wait right now. A phone he likes now will not be slower but maybe cheaper. Most of the year there is only the abstract fact that something might come soon, now we are sure that they'll announce and shop a lot of new stuff within the next few weeks.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not arguing this part of your post

I'm arguing this part:

There are are a couple of reasons why someone would wait right now. A phone he likes now will not be slower but maybe cheaper. Most of the year there is only the abstract fact that something might come soon, now we are sure that they'll announce and shop a lot of new stuff within the next few weeks.

I already saw it as cheap, but fair enough :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I say to wait is because in a month all the big manufacturers will have released their flagships for the year. Normally I don't suggest waiting because as others have said there's always another phone on the way, but right now is probably one of the few times waiting isn't a bad thing. Personally I'm interested in seeing the iphone 6 and the Note 4. If neither of those catch my eye I'll probably get the M8.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait for the iPhone 6 over the m8 personally. I am looking at it to be my new phone when they announce it.

I already got the M8, but the iPhone would not even be on my radar unless they support microSD, which I find unlikely. That's where the iPhone will never catch up - Apple wants to force people into their licensed peripherals. I've run into so many people with broken charger issues and problems due to a lack of using standards.

corn_chowder

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the replies. the Moto X second gen left me pretty underwhelmed in terms of specs. M8 is looking more attractive by the day - although the Sony Z3 is looking like a serious contender now. Will wait to see what apple has in store for us next week :)

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What ever you do buy it off contact.

After looking at what's coming out this year, there's nothing that can intice me enough to buy a new phone.

Having the m8 has been a great experience for me, but I am excited for what is going to be available for the m9 in March of next year.

There is nothing wrong with waiting if you are undecided right now, but if you want a really great phone right now go for the m8 it's simply gives you the best WP over all with a 5" screen... And the m9 if built to the rumored specs will run circles around anything coming out in the fall including the iPhone... but that's just how I feel...

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon