Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. People still tend to beleive that WP is best trough Nokia devices (including me), because of prejudice. I beleive One is great device but has a lot against it. First, it came right after L930 launched globaly and lots of people signed their contracts for two years. As for new WP users... I don't think lots of them is willing to buy that expensive device to try something new.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think if the Icon would have been released on all carriers it could have been the "Galaxy" of Windows phone, but as much as I love the M8 I don't see the WP version being a big seller, but I hope I'm wrong.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. It is actually coming to all carriers as well. I think this is the first windows phone to actually do this lol.

Well.. There is the HTC 8X it was on Verizon, at&t, tmobile. And sprint had the 8XT a very similar model to the 8X. It seems HTC does a better job at getting it's device across the carriers. Which is good news. :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
As long as it supports the developer preview program, I don't care if it blows up in popularity or not.

I kinda like not having the same phone everyone else has.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Anything is possible......but it has to do well enough for HTC to see it.

I believe that if HTC releases their next flagship at the same time that they release it in Android should be a clear indication of dominance for the platform.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Lmao that's funny. But no.

Pretty sure Lumia already is the galaxy of windows phone considering how much like galaxy is synonymous with android,Lumia is synonymous with windows phone.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Pretty sure Lumia already is the galaxy of windows phone considering how much like galaxy is synonymous with android,Lumia is synonymous with windows phone.

Galaxy is synonymous with Samsung, not Android. I don't know anyone who thinks Android when they hear Galaxy. They think Samsung. When they hear Samsung, they think Galaxy. Those same people don't know what OS they are running. They are like...its that Droid OS, right? They don't actually know what Android is. They know Touchwiz, and thats it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy is synonymous with Samsung, not Android. I don't know anyone who thinks Android when they hear Galaxy. They think Samsung. When they hear Samsung, they think Galaxy. Those same people don't know what OS they are running. They are like...its that Droid OS, right? They don't actually know what Android is. They know Touchwiz, and thats it.

We must live in different areas.

Originally when Droid Came out with Verizon, everyone referred to ALL ANDROIDS as droid :)

WIth Galaxy being the de facto brand, when people think Android...they think Galaxy.
This is not the mid 2000s where people are stupid and dont know what they are buying.

I really wish people would stop trying to act like the average joe is stupid and incapable of knowing anything. They are less likely to know that the UI on a Galaxy Phone is called touchwize.

When people think Android, they think Samsung?
They go Samsung. Samsung Galaxy is Synonymous with Android.

It's why there are several articles i've read about how Samsung actually could be a THREAT to Google itself based on the Brand Identity of Galaxy. SO yes Galaxy is nowadays thought of as Android. Based on Samsung's Great marketing efforts.

People don't automatically go
"Oooh is that the Water Proof Phone?"- Sony

"is that that phone with the Always on"- Moto X

"Is that the All new HTC ONE M8 with those cool speakers?"- M8

LOL given Samsung's Dominance in the android arena, yes it is safe to say that Samsung Galaxy is the face of Android(much like Droid used to be?)
It doesn't matter anything about what OS, UI, or any of that random stuff that doesn't matter.

When People see Android...they usually see Galaxy.

When People see Windows Phone...They almost always see Lumia.
(It's even worse on Windows Phone since the Niche is so small and Lumia dominates to the point that Samsung and HTC are highly irrelevant at this point and time. My friend didn't even know Samsusng Made Windows phones lol).

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy is synonymous with Touchwiz, period. People don't know the underlying OS.

You take away the touchwiz, and people don't recognize it anymore. This is why Samsung is playing with Tizen. They have a familiar look which will make it easy to transition, if they can get a decent ecosystem going.

I never said people are stupid, I said they don't know. Ignorance != stupidity. You are right, they don't know its called Touchwiz. They think Touchwiz is Android, which is my whole point.

I know a lot of people with Galaxy devices, and they don't know the OS. They know touchwiz. They know its something called Android, or Droid, or something, but they don't actually know Android. They automatically think back to a crayola UI and think that is Android. That is all they know. How do I know this? I've brought Nexus devices to them and they are like...what software is that?!?!?! That is the difference from Lumia. Everyone knows what that software is. Anyone who actually knows Android? They know Galaxy is not synonymous with it.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia had been the dominant Windows phone manufacturer, but I have a hard time considering them the Galaxy of WP when they can't release a flagship on all carriers. If the M8 makes it to all the US carriers HTC will have done something Nokia hasn't managed to do. I will always think Nokia blew it by not releasing the Icon on all carriers.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Nokia had been the dominant Windows phone manufacturer, but I have a hard time considering them the Galaxy of WP when they can't release a flagship on all carriers. If the M8 makes it to all the US carriers HTC will have done something Nokia hasn't managed to do. I will always think Nokia blew it by not releasing the Icon on all carriers.

Good point....

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

But which Lumia though. The problem is, there's so many models out there exclusive to different carriers, there isn't one Lumia that's really considered a flagship. Hell even in these forums people are arguing with Lumia model is really a flagship.

The Galaxy is sold to all carriers, and this is the first real flagship style WP that will be available to most carriers and not some exclusive 9XX model like the Lumias.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
But which Lumia though. The problem is, there's so many models out there exclusive to different carriers, there isn't one Lumia that's really considered a flagship. Hell even in these forums people are arguing with Lumia model is really a flagship.

The Galaxy is sold to all carriers, and this is the first real flagship style WP that will be available to most carriers and not some exclusive 9XX model like the Lumias.

Good point....

While releasing on all carriers would be amazing, people keep saying that and yet it also doesn't matter. When People think Android, it usually is Galaxy before anything else and the same with Windows Phone and Lumia.

Lumia presently is the face of WIndows Phone(Which makes it all the more reason it is stupid that Microsoft is delaying any major lumia releases in favor of this phone).

Even with HTC M8 being released on all carriers for Android, it is a flagship nonetheless for HTC but it still has yet to achieve any major success really(i mean it has but not really)

If we are to go by the top5
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsungs-smartphone-market-share-takes-nosedive-q2-2014

HTC is nowhere to be found in the top 5(neither is nokia but that's apparent) despite them always releasing their phones on every carrier, So i am not sure why people gripe about the Lumias not being released on all Carriers at the same time.

Yes it could sell more...OR it could sell the same amount it does now just spread across more carriers. You never know.
it sounds better to say that At&t sold 1 million Lumia 920 vs 330K for Att 270K for Verizon, 250K for Sprint and 150K t-mobile

Personally Idc about Exclusives....I chose the carrier who best supported my platform(At&t) of choice. I got every single Lumia that has mattered(excluding the 900) . I am okay with the fact that the Icon is on Verizon.....They deserve a flagship lumia since we had the 1520. Now if Verizon starts getting the exclusives, I may be p'od then.
So yeah it'll be awesome to release on all carriers at once(So people can stop whining about this phone not releasing and how that somehow spells bad for Nokia lmao) but it is not indicative to continued success.

Let's not forget...the HTC M8 is on all carriers and also still isn't the preferred handset(Samsung, Sony, LG and MAYBE motorola have it beat. Let's not also forget that Blackberry is also available(or was) on All/most carriers and that didn't do anything to increase its success,

Also let's not forget, speaking of Galaxy, Samsung actually had a similar track record with their Galaxy Series. The first & second generations were variants. At&T got the Captivate, T-mobile got the Vibrant, Samsung got the epic and Verizon got the fascinate.
(At&t got the 920, T-mo got the 925 which later also went to At&t and Verizon got the 928...Sprint got nothing sadly).

Then 2nd Gen Galaxies got even more crazier with their variants and releasing multiple variants for various countries(just like 2nd Gen Windows phones). Lots of models were exclusive to one carrier.

It wasn't until Gen 3 with the Galaxy S3 and late S4 and S5 that Samsung begin doing global releases WITHOUT variants.
So yeah if anything, Nokia is on a similar path with Windows Phone just like Samsung is with Android hence my opinion it is the Galaxy of WP.

For HTC to be considered Galaxy of anything It first needs to
1. Manage to outsell the Leader...which it has proven unable to do so far on WP and Android
2. Become the Mascot/Face of the OS....Didn't the 8x have the "Signature" tittle with it. Little good that did and those phones actually looked better than the 920. People simply just didn't want it lol
3. Become the De Facto Standard

Samsung and Nokia both do that on that their respective platforms....and if Samsung ever manages to be of some use to the platform, it is completely game over for HTC and a threat to Lumia as well :p

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
While releasing on all carriers would be amazing, people keep saying that and yet it also doesn't matter. When People think Android, it usually is Galaxy before anything else and the same with Windows Phone and Lumia.

Lumia presently is the face of WIndows Phone(Which makes it all the more reason it is stupid that Microsoft is delaying any major lumia releases in favor of this phone).

Even with HTC M8 being released on all carriers for Android, it is a flagship nonetheless for HTC but it still has yet to achieve any major success really(i mean it has but not really)

If we are to go by the top5
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsungs-smartphone-market-share-takes-nosedive-q2-2014

HTC is nowhere to be found in the top 5(neither is nokia but that's apparent) despite them always releasing their phones on every carrier, So i am not sure why people gripe about the Lumias not being released on all Carriers at the same time.

Yes it could sell more...OR it could sell the same amount it does now just spread across more carriers. You never know.
it sounds better to say that At&t sold 1 million Lumia 920 vs 330K for Att 270K for Verizon, 250K for Sprint and 150K t-mobile

So yeah it'll be awesome to release on all carriers at once(So people can stop whining about this phone not releasing and how that somehow spells bad for Nokia lmao) but it is not indicative to continued success.

Let's not forget...the HTC M8 is on all carriers and also still isn't the preferred handset(Samsung, Sony, LG and MAYBE motorola have it beat. Let's not also forget that Blackberry is also available(or was) on All/most carriers and that didn't do anything to increase its success,

Also let's not forget, speaking of Galaxy, Samsung actually had a similar track record with their Galaxy Series. The first & second generations were variants. At&T got the Captivate, T-mobile got the Vibrant, Samsung got the epic and Verizon got the fascinate.
(At&t got the 920, T-mo got the 925 which later also went to At&t and Verizon got the 928...Sprint got nothing sadly).

Then 2nd Gen Galaxies got even more crazier with their variants and releasing multiple variants for various countries(just like 2nd Gen Windows phones). Lots of models were exclusive to one carrier.

It wasn't until Gen 3 with the Galaxy S3 and late S4 and S5 that Samsung begin doing global releases WITHOUT variants.
So yeah if anything, Nokia is on a similar path with Windows Phone just like Samsung is with Android hence my opinion it is the Galaxy of WP.

For HTC to be considered Galaxy of anything It first needs to
1. Manage to outsell the Leader...which it has proven unable to do so far on WP and Android
2. Become the Mascot/Face of the OS....Didn't the 8x have the "Signature" tittle with it. Little good that did and those phones actually looked better than the 920. People simply just didn't want it lol
3. Become the De Facto Standard

Samsung and Nokia both do that on that their respective platforms....and if Samsung ever manages to be of some use to the platform, it is completely game over for HTC and a threat to Lumia as well :p

1. No it doesn't. How do i know this? Because the GS1 made waves and they didn't have majority market back then. Instead, it needs to be the most talked about device.
2. They didn't want it because it released as a low end device with an OS nobody used. Brand had little to do with it.
3. Indeed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
1. No it doesn't. How do i know this? Because the GS1 made waves and they didn't have majority market back then. Instead, it needs to be the most talked about device.
2. They didn't want it because it released as a low end device with an OS nobody used. Brand had little to do with it.
3. Indeed.

1. Okay and the HTC M8 for windows is not the most talked about device. Keep in mind these are features that already existed on the Android device LMAO aka these are features that are not surprising in the least since wait for it...

The Phone is dated.

People speak about Lumia's Cameras constantly(920, 925, 1020 of course and the 1520

More importantly, people discuss the support of Nokia and are even jealous that Nokia is exclusive to WP(except for the Brief stint with X series).

It is the most talked about OEM/brand for WIndows Phone.

So thank you for proving that point for me.

ALso proving my Point, Nokia didn't have the marketshare either for WIndows Phone. You forget HTC(and Samsung, LG and Dell) were the big boys of WIndows Phone.

Nokia came in after HTC released devices like the Radar, HD7, Trophy, Titans 1 and 2(and whatever Samsung, LG and Dell's models were called) with ONE device(900) and that's when things changed and that was exclusive to Att :D And thus became the most talked about device(Prior to that was the 800) and then later the 710 and this was way before phones like 920 and beyond were announced.

(Which is exactly what Samsung did with Android....HTC used to be the De facto Standard with Android).
How do I know this? Because i actually did used to be an android ******/HTC ******.

Phones like the Droid Incredible series(I wish they'd make a Droid Incredible for WP), Evo Series, and Sensation line...Not to mention their Desire line. Samsung actually was hated due to their horrible Behold series and then the GS1 changed everything(Much like the 900 changed everything).

So in a way, history has repeated itself for HTC.
2. The HTC 8X was not a low end device......You sound ridiculous. The 8x was every bit as High End & a flagship(it WAS the flagship actually for Windows Phone 8 since it had the signature tag with it) as the 920 and Ativ S were.

Brand had everything to do with it.....People simple didn't want HTC phones. Keep in mind this is also a company who is notorious for not properly supprting their phones and only recently begin getting better with(Let's not list the numerous HTC devices that have not gotten proper support on Android and even their WP devices such as the Titan II). So yeah Brand had something to do with it.

It's also why so many people wanted MS to get Nokia's NAME and keep it on Lumia because they feared without Nokia branding, Windows Phones sales may suffer.

As far as the OS nobody wants...that's subjective. In most cases, it never really is the hardware or the OS itself. I usually hear 8 times out of 10, people don't want the OS because of the apps or low quality/features. The other 2 times it is generally someone who flat out hates the OS(which in their defense Pre-WP8.1 was kind of lame).

Hence why I tell people>..the amount of OEMs embracing WP is good but it doesn't matter as long as the app gap exists and the quality sucks compared to their IOS/Android counterparts. I honestly believed if all things were equal with WP with the apps, Nokia alone could be perfectly fine(provided they released their devices). But when you get half-baked apps or none at all, the OS suffers. Not because of a lack of choice.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well we will see how well it does and what folks who actually buy it feels about it in a few months.

You can moan and groan about it till the cows come home all you want,but regardless of the numbers Samsung galaxy line has produced,this phone has still garnered more praise and accolades than they have by the majority of people who have used them.

Personally I think it's a real shame a few people here have to go to great lengths to put this phone down anytime it is discussed. If they dislike the phone SO Dam much why in the blue blazes are they constantly running it down on this forum? Why don't they just go hang out with the lumina fanatics and stay there?

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Yes but once again, which Lumia? There isn't that one Lumia that everyone thinks about when thinking about WP. If the 930/Icon had been released to all carriers then I would say that phone, but each carrier carries a completely different Lumia model

That's because Galaxy is the main phone for all the Androids, but WP does not have a "Galaxy" phone yet because of the exclusivity. There isn't that one Lumia phone. Just because HTC can't catch the Android market, doesn't mean they can not with this phone. Mind you the OP is a hypothetical, not a prediction..

Strictly talking about WP though since no one phone has really taken the reigns like the Galaxy did with Android. Once again if the 930/Icon had been released to all carriers that probably would've been the phone, granted it lacked features the M8 has that people wanted, like SD slot.

Good memory there, but if the M8 doesn't take that role which Lumia will if MS keeps making them exclusive?.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo