Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Well we will see how well it does and what folks who actually buy it feels about it in a few months.

You can moan and groan about it till the cows come home all you want,but regardless of the numbers Samsung galaxy line has produced,this phone has still garnered more praise and accolades than they have by the majority of people who have used them.

Personally I think it's a real shame a few people here have to go to great lengths to put this phone down anytime it is discussed. If they dislike the phone SO Dam much why in the blue blazes are they constantly running it down on this forum? Why don't they just go hang out with the lumina fanatics and stay there?

Fanboyism can cloud people's judgement. I've never been brand loyal and never will be. As much as I am a WP fan now, if iOS presents itself better to me, in my opinion, then I'll head over just as fast as I ditched that OS for WP. I saw WP and just felt it was a great OS for me.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I still have a difficult time equating the Nokia name with Galaxy. It may be the face of windows phone, but at this point in time that really means very little. I also never hear about Nokia phones or cameras except for on forums. Windows phone needs more apps and more phones need to be sold regardless if they are Nokia, HTC or Samsung so more developers will bring their apps to windows phone. At this point it is very difficult in the US for any manufacturer not named Samsung or Apple, even though I don't consider either of those to make the best phone in any class except for the Note series.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well we will see how well it does and what folks who actually buy it feels about it in a few months.

You can moan and groan about it till the cows come home all you want,but regardless of the numbers Samsung galaxy line has produced,this phone has still garnered more praise and accolades than they have by the majority of people who have used them.

Personally I think it's a real shame a few people here have to go to great lengths to put this phone down anytime it is discussed. If they dislike the phone SO Dam much why in the blue blazes are they constantly running it down on this forum? Why don't they just go hang out with the lumina fanatics and stay there?

Nobody is putting your Phone choice down nor should we stay segregated to our sections. I am sorry if you can't handle a discussion with actual criticism about your device.

i used to be a diehard Android fanatic(before i realize the OS kind of sucked) and I loved HTC devices. In fact the same reasons I buy Nokia(the camera) were the same reasons I've brought the Android Models. I had the Evo when it FIRST came out and that was one of the most talked about phones at the time(had to unfortunately subject myself and my family to the torment of Sprint. I feel there may be some resentment there from my mom :D)

If we're talking as fans...I'd actually Prefer Lumia to be our line exclusively for Windows Phone(or maybe a Surface line). i"d prefer an apple like mentality. Simply speaking, I like what apple does with their OS. They make their OS as well as the hardware the compliments it. There is no need for fragmentation really and the hardware is fantastic and compliments the OS.

I like the fact that they make their services the best for their products. I don't like Google and I do not like Google's methods and I wish Microsoft would set itself up as a Premium OS vs the free for all that is Android.

That's me speaking as a ******....I also really wouldn't mind if it was HTC as a secondary alternative.

However speaking as a non-fan and someone being objective, the M8 is not the device to save us all or to take the platform new places. I am sure it'll do decently and that'll do great for the platform overall. But people need to learn to accept the criticisms of their device and stop taking it to heart as if someone spit in their face or slap their kid or something lol.

It doesn't matter how much praise the M8 has gathered, it has barely been enough to at least get HTC back in a positive direction for Android.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
1. Okay and the HTC M8 for windows is not the most talked about device. Keep in mind these are features that already existed on the Android device LMAO aka these are features that are not surprising in the least since wait for it...

The Phone is dated.

[/B]

LOL, not as dated as the 930 that just released.

ALso proving my Point, Nokia didn't have the marketshare either for WIndows Phone. You forget HTC(and Samsung, LG and Dell) were the big boys of WIndows Phone.

Nokia INHERITED most of the market share. When everyone else mostly jumps ship, its easy to get majority market.

2. The HTC 8X was not a low end device......You sound ridiculous. The 8x was every bit as High End & a flagship(it WAS the flagship actually for Windows Phone 8 since it had the signature tag with it) as the 920 and Ativ S were.

Step back, take a deep breath, and think like a consumer. It released when Android was already playing with quad cores. Consumers don't know that WP doesn't need as high end hardware, and salespeople don't educate them. A customer asks, which is faster? The salesperson points at the higher specced device, EVERY TIME. It WAS a low end device.

You are being absolutely ridiculous with your negative nancy attitude.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I still have a difficult time equating the Nokia name with Galaxy. It may be the face of windows phone, but at this point in time that really means very little. I also never hear about Nokia phones or cameras except for on forums. Windows phone needs more apps and more phones need to be sold regardless if they are Nokia, HTC or Samsung so more developers will bring their apps to windows phone. At this point it is very difficult in the US for any manufacturer not named Samsung or Apple, even though I don't consider either of those to make the best phone in any class except for the Note series.

I actually think Apple makes great hardware. Unfortunately, Samsung whored itself out and it got that success. I personally think Sony or HTC should be the standard of quality for Android phones(I loved my Xperia X10 and Xperia play when i had android).

I hear about Nokia cameras all the time. I love when people come up to me and ask
"IS that a WIndows Phone?" Or "That pHone is Huge." or "Is that the phone from the commercial?"

(I am like a walking advertisement since my phone is always in my hand(1520 and prior to that 1020). So i hear about it. Not to mention, I hear about it on Blogs and I see Lumias(the occcasional 8x) on tv shows i watched.

Nokia is a common sight on MTV's Teen wolf and they are almost always using the camera :)
Fanboyism can cloud people's judgement. I've never been brand loyal and never will be. As much as I am a WP fan now, if iOS presents itself better to me, in my opinion, then I'll head over just as fast as I ditched that OS for WP. I saw WP and just felt it was a great OS for me.
I am actually planning to do the same myself tbh :) I love my Lumia and it'll still be with me but i am actually strongly considering a dual OS set up with IOS

(I'll just use my Lumia as a camera lol). It's not me speaking as a ******, It's me speaking as someone who actually sorts of WORKS in this type of stuff.

It's kind of my job(well one of them) to know this stuff and perception. Not to mention, I am the demographic that WIndows Phone is trying to target the most yet has a harder time doing so.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually think Apple makes great hardware. Unfortunately, Samsung whored itself out and it got that success. I personally think Sony or HTC should be the standard of quality for Android phones(I loved my Xperia X10 and Xperia play when i had android).

I hear about Nokia cameras all the time. I love when people come up to me and ask
"IS that a WIndows Phone?" Or "That pHone is Huge." or "Is that the phone from the commercial?"

(I am like a walking advertisement since my phone is always in my hand(1520 and prior to that 1020). So i hear about it. Not to mention, I hear about it on Blogs and I see Lumias(the occcasional 8x) on tv shows i watched.

I think Samsung makes pretty good hardware also, it's their software I don't care for. If you're holding a 1520 in your hand I certainly expect people to take notice because of the size. My wife gets the same reaction with her Note 2. In regards to the 8X, it definitely was a high end windows phone when it was released, but in reality it wasn't as good as the Note 2 that launched a few weeks later or the Galaxy S3 other than being really smooth.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Nobody is putting your Phone choice down nor should we stay segregated to our sections. I am sorry if you can't handle a discussion with actual criticism about your device.

i used to be a diehard Android fanatic(before i realize the OS kind of sucked) and I loved HTC devices. In fact the same reasons I buy Nokia(the camera) were the same reasons I've brought the Android Models. I had the Evo when it FIRST came out and that was one of the most talked about phones at the time(had to unfortunately subject myself and my family to the torment of Sprint. I feel there may be some resentment there from my mom :D)

If we're talking as fans...I'd actually Prefer Lumia to be our line exclusively for Windows Phone(or maybe a Surface line). i"d prefer an apple like mentality. Simply speaking, I like what apple does with their OS. They make their OS as well as the hardware the compliments it. There is no need for fragmentation really and the hardware is fantastic and compliments the OS.

I like the fact that they make their services the best for their products. I don't like Google and I do not like Google's methods and I wish Microsoft would set itself up as a Premium OS vs the free for all that is Android.

That's me speaking as a ******....I also really wouldn't mind if it was HTC as a secondary alternative.

However speaking as a non-fan and someone being objective, the M8 is not the device to save us all or to take the platform new places. I am sure it'll do decently and that'll do great for the platform overall. But people need to learn to accept the criticisms of their device and stop taking it to heart as if someone spit in their face or slap their kid or something lol.

It doesn't matter how much praise the M8 has gathered, it has barely been enough to at least get HTC back in a positive direction for Android.
Then why do you constantly come on this forum and post against the device? Your always trying to derail any discussion about them, and are constantly dissing them... It's getting really old.

It's not about discussion with you and these phones, it's always about you not liking them and putting them down. The only thing that you do is critize the m8 every chance you get and the moderators needs to stop this.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL, not as dated as the 930 that just released.

Nokia INHERITED most of the market share. When everyone else mostly jumps ship, its easy to get majority market.

Step back, take a deep breath, and think like a consumer. It released when Android was already playing with quad cores. Consumers don't know that WP doesn't need as high end hardware, and salespeople don't educate them. A customer asks, which is faster? The salesperson points at the higher specced device, EVERY TIME. It WAS a low end device.

You are being absolutely ridiculous with your negative nancy attitude.

1. You're missing the point. I never said the 930 isn't dated...Spec wise the M8 and 930/Icon are both fine simply because Specs don't matter as much on WP like they do on Android(all the more reason I laugh when people go crazy because the M8 is the faster phone with a slightly higher processor. Like that REALLY matters on windows phone XD)

I said it's features are dated. If you're going to quote me, quote the entire post. The M8 for windows is a fantastic device for WIndows Phone yes but it is dated nonetheless simply because We've already seen this device when it was just called "The All New HTC ONE M8"....for android. It is slightly worse because it then does feel like an after thought for Windows Phone.

2. I love how people try to discredit Nokia's success in WP...let's not forget that presently WP would be dead(and HTC likely wouldn't have brought the M8(nor Samsung's rebadged galaxy turned ativ line) to WP without Nokia helping the success :D

In that case, Samsung Profited off of Android Manufacturer's ineptitude with Android...Motorola was beating the Droid Line into the ground and then releasing half-baked devices like the Motorola Atrix(and let's not forget those horrible phones like devour and the backflip...idk what motorola was thinking. Idk what I WAS thinking buying the backflip), HTC was releasing way too many phones and unable to actually keep up and support them leaving a lot of people on dated software with no plans to ever upgrade them, Sony was struggling majorly with their Xperia X10 line, and LG was just there.....

So samsung profited off the slowness and stupidity of the other OEMs. All the Manufactures jumped ship from Windows Phone...leaving Nokia to get the marketshare.

First of all it didn't inherit anything :D you can't just inherit Marketshare(unless you buy into it like Microsoft has done with Nokia). They still had to earn it regardless XD And they did :D They just lacked less competition(much Like Samsung lacked much competition) and by the time the other OEMs decided to stop being fools, it became a tough battle because Samsung had become de facto.

3. If we're thinking like a consumer...since I work with Retail/Marketing

"Hey so I want a phone with a really good Camera. I am heavily into Instagram, Vine, Flicr and facebook. What kind of phones do you suggest?"

More importantly, they'll look at the Specs of each phone

"Wow this phone has a 4 megapixel camera? But this one has a 20."

OR in favor of HTC

"I like listening to a lot of music on my phone and i want something that sounds good when I dance but nothing apple."

What average consumer do you know that goes in saying "I want a phone with a Quad Core processor."

Going off your earlier logic the average person doesn't know what a Quadcore is nor do they know if their phones use the latest one or what the latest one does.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Then why do you constantly come on this forum and post against the device? Your always trying to derail any discussion about them, and are constantly dissing them... It's getting really old.

It's not about discussion with you and these phones, it's always about you not liking them and putting them down. The only thing that you do is critize the m8 every chance you get and the moderators needs to stop this.

The moderators need to Censor people from criticizing the device?

I wasn't derailing the thread. The question was could the M8 become the Galaxy of WIndows and I gave my opinion. I am sorry if that doesn't gell with you but you really should stop calling for Moderators to do something about people giving their opinions about a product :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
More importantly, they'll look at the Specs of each phone

"Wow this phone has a 4 megapixel camera? But this one has a 20."

yeah and the people I know say, "well I already have a camera so that doesn't matter to me.

What average consumer do you know that goes in saying "I want a phone with a Quad Core processor."

Going off your earlier logic the average person doesn't know what a Quadcore is nor do they know if their phones use the latest one or what the latest one does.

None. They ask for whats faster and the salespeople tell them the quad core phone. I never said they ask for a quad core device or know what one is. Go read it again.

Anyway, I am done arguing with you. You are so biased you can't see past ermagahd, the camera sucks! The phone is dated because we have seen it before in Android! (We will give Nokia a pass for the Icon/930 though!)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ultra pixel, which is pretty good in my opinion having taken a few shots.

Also, here's the issue with that scenario.

"I want the one with the 20mp camera"

"It's a Verizon phone"

"Oh I'm with T-Mobile, nevermind."
So what will your excuse be then if when the 1525 is released on T-mobile

THat's cute....except you're missing the point :)
Even though the Icon/1520 are not available on all carriers, beside any phone, most people are automatically going to assume the higher megapixel is better. And int his case, rightfully so. I'd recommend an alternative.

I owned a M7 briefly....I was stupid last year and used android priior to my 928 :p Ultrapixel IS good......and I sure with the Duo camera it is lovely on the M8. However, I noticed them and I am willing the best it still the same, the fact of the matter is if i take a picture and I wanna crop, someone telling me "Oh it is a good camera as long as you don't zoom/crop" is not good enough to me.

If i was a sales person, I'd probably likely direct them towards a Sony Phone then on T-mo which also has 20 megapixels :D
(And for Windows Phone, it'd be a 925)

Speaking of Sony, Sony is probably one of the few manufacturers I'd actually respect coming over to the WP side and definitely more comparable imo with the Lumia Line.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
yeah and the people I know say, "well I already have a camera so that doesn't matter to me.

None. They ask for whats faster and the salespeople tell them the quad core phone. I never said they ask for a quad core device or know what one is. Go read it again.

Anyway, I am done arguing with you. You are so biased you can't see past ermagahd, the camera sucks! The phone is dated because we have seen it before in Android! (We will give Nokia a pass for the Icon/930 though!)

Generally speaking, let's be real...if they ask for a fast phone they will likely push them towards ANdroid anyway and not windows phone :) We know how sales people are with Windows phone.

if the customer insists on Windows Phone, usually the Sales person will push them towards Lumia :) I remember when I actually brought my 8x orgiinally prior to having a 920, at the time i had no clue what was better and the Sales guy said nokia was the more popular of the two and he liked it and its camera and pushed me towards it :)

You forget we live in 2014 nowadays and now the early 2000s or late 1990s. People don't just walk around at parties with two cameras anymore. When you go to concerts, it is mostly cellphones you see in the air recording and taking pics.

So No Most people aren't going to say "eh, I already have a camera"...they're going to be looking for the best camera to get them on IG, Vine, and FB faster and easier :)

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So what will your excuse be then if when the 1525 is released on T-mobile

THat's cute....except you're missing the point :)
Even though the Icon/1520 are not available on all carriers, beside any phone, most people are automatically going to assume the higher megapixel is better. And int his case, rightfully so. I'd recommend an alternative.

I owned a M7 briefly....I was stupid last year and used android priior to my 928 :p Ultrapixel IS good......and I sure with the Duo camera it is lovely on the M8. However, I noticed them and I am willing the best it still the same, the fact of the matter is if i take a picture and I wanna crop, someone telling me "Oh it is a good camera as long as you don't zoom/crop" is not good enough to me.

If i was a sales person, I'd probably likely direct them towards a Sony Phone then on T-mo which also has 20 megapixels :D
(And for Windows Phone, it'd be a 925)

Speaking of Sony, Sony is probably one of the few manufacturers I'd actually respect coming over to the WP side and definitely more comparable imo with the Lumia Line.

I'm not really sure what you mean as far as me making excuses. You said what if, which means it's not possible at this moment. The M8 will be available to most carriers as the Lumias are not, they are exclusive. Their audience is limited. There is no Lumia phone that's the face of WP.

Look we are not trying to discuss the specs of this phone vs phone X. The bottom line is, they release another Lumia, with great specs and even better camera, it will be to a very limited audience because of the exclusives. People will not generally switch carriers for a phone. The M8, which has so far gotten very good reviews, and the camera is not the deal breaker, will be available to most of the carriers. With that being said, IF this phone sells well, IF, and HTC starts releasing them to all carriers, then could this phone possibly be the "Galaxy" of the WP line? As mentioned, Lumia does not have that phone yet. If the 1525 is released will it go to one carrier or all?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung makes pretty good hardware also, it's their software I don't care for. If you're holding a 1520 in your hand I certainly expect people to take notice because of the size. My wife gets the same reaction with her Note 2. In regards to the 8X, it definitely was a high end windows phone when it was released, but in reality it wasn't as good as the Note 2 that launched a few weeks later or the Galaxy S3 other than being really smooth.
Why exactly are we comparing it to the Note 2 though :p They server 2 different niches though.

I usually get noticed for the size of it(lol) but it always makes me feel good to hear someone say "Is that a Windows Phone?"

I always get someone asking to hold it and are going "Wow! That phone is huge."
Even the valet at the restaurant I had take a picture of me of the other day for my birthday was like "Wow, this phone is crazy!"

But it shocked me when the waitress actually recognized it as a Windows Phone. I was like "GIRL! You just earned yourself a few more dollars for being cool like us WP kids."(i didnt really say that :p)

I dont think Samsung's hardware is good. It feels Cheap. HTC hands down is better made than Samsung's Mess. Even before WIndows Phone, i had a Few galaxies and the hardware just feels cheap. It doesn't feel like a premium product.

For Android I'd go
Sony > HTC > Motorola > LG > Samsung

For windows Phone
Nokia > HTC > Samsung

Ironically enough if i did switch to Android, I'd probably actually get an M8. But probably a Sony.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well this thread has gone in the exact same path as the "I love my Icon but" thread. I guess it's time to unsubscribe from this one.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The moderators need to Censor people from criticizing the device?

I wasn't derailing the thread. The question was could the M8 become the Galaxy of WIndows and I gave my opinion. I am sorry if that doesn't gell with you but you really should stop calling for Moderators to do something about people giving their opinions about a product :)

If it's just a once or twice occurrence then no,but with you it's not just a once or twice occurrence,it's on every thread about this phone your posting on.

You are constantly posting negative things when uncalled for,and going further than just giving an opinion.

You think you have some type of right to constantly try to derail threads or get an argument started under the guise of stating an opinion and you don't.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro