Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
..and I don't think its "just" an Android vs. WP difference. Android has been plagued for the last year or so with Google services that will hang in the background, especially location services. It just eats the battery alive.

Google keeps issuing fixes, but the problem still rears its ugly head.

My Note 3 could make it to the end of the day. My M8 with the same usage made it 41 hours before dying, 36 of those on LTE.

I don't have a problem with location services killing my battery on my G2, but poor reception at home and work hurts it pretty bad.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will become the Galaxy of WP. I think it will be the HTC of WP just like it is the HTC of Android. First, this is their first offering in a long while so it will take people a little time to give it a chance over the many Lumia models already available. But the fact that it is premium, new, and highly capable gives it the same leverage it has in the Android market. Simply put, its a very competitive device to the king of WP which is Lumia right now. But for any Windows Phone fan and loyalist that hopes or is looking for this phone to fail that's very unfortunate. Looking at the big picture we need to hope this phone flies off the shelves. This is not a Nokia Lumia race only. This is a Windows Phone race and we are WAYYY behind the other guys. So I hope the One gives people a chance to appreciate something besides a Lumia and enjoy the experience that is WP8.1.1. We need this phone to succeed as well ever other Windows Phone device regardless of the OEM.

Oh I am not rooting for the phone to fail, though I am not going to be surprised if it does Moderately or not that great and then watch HTC go back to the same tricks they did before. I am well aware that this phone can help the platform. And I will find humor in these arguments M8 fans used against me if HTC pulls it same tricks and then half does the support for this phone.

(it'll be interesting if the only main support/advertisement this phone gets is not for the M8 for windows itself....but only through the Android version. As in, that 3rd wheel friend who just tags along that you don't want to leave out. That's actually one thing i think will happen. The M8 windows will be treated as an after thought and having to ride on the android coattails. Have we've seen any advertisements WITHOUT the Android version with it?)

Which is why I said many times before, I am not against the device(I used to be an HTC ****** XD) nor am I against what it stands for. I am also not one to point out the shortcomings & Flaws of the device either. I do it with any device...be it an HTC, Samsung or a Nokia.

For example, I think Nokia/Microsoft are ridiculously stupid for not adding a FFC into the 530 or 630 series(especially 630). A phone that can compete with Android's Moto X/E and yet it lacks things like a FFC. That is ridiculous. No Selfies, No Skype calls, etc etc.

I'm also one of the people who would love to see a new Lumia Design. While I am not bothered by the designs(they do keep them fresh enough where they are marginally different but the same at the same time), I would like a new design at the same time. I am critical of Lumias and the software...I love my 1520 but i wish i can do more with it. It is a Phablet in size yet in all intents & purposes, it really is just a slightly bigger 920 with a crapload more power and a much better Camera.

(I do love the 930's design and which i could get it).
I can go on about Nokia's Criticisms :) But if it makes the M8 sensitive ones feel better about themselves.
1. I like the fact it has a 5 megapixel FFc....that alone makes it a plus in my book(Though Lumia 730 is supposed to have that, so ehh)

2. I actually do like the speakers(I enjoyed them on my M7) and it does make dancing easier without needing my headphones.

3. It's a very attractive device(Way better than anything Samsung does and it is better than some Lumia designs...I don't think it looks better than a 930 but it is more attractive visually than my 1520).

4. I actually like Blinkfeed :)

5. I like the Cortana integration.

So see I can say positives about the device. People need to learn the difference between HARSH CRITICISMS and Outright bashing :)
And more importantly, people truly need to stop being so sensitive.

IT...IS..A...PHONE.

But i agree with you. It'll be the HTC of WP....the question is...Will this be the HTC of the past which actually can then call itself a true competitor and alternative to Lumia or is this the present HTC which is always playing for 3rd or 4th place.

Personally I'd rather see HTC do better than Samsung.

Fair game considering that you are in an M8 forum insisting on discussing other devices just so you can bash. Your intentions are quite transparent.

My intentions, i thought were to give my opinions of the Phone and if would be the Galaxy of Windows Phones :D Funny how you, someone ive never met or spoken to seems to know me and my intentions better than I do. It's kind of scary in a way :)
What's pathetic is you coming into the M8 subforum making nothing but bad comments about the phone. So you're either jealous that you don't have one, or insecure that an awesome new HTC phone has come along and stolen Nokia's thunder. I think it's both.

Yes my Security in myself is tied up into my choice of phones. Because you know, my phone is my life and if Nokia lumia is not top of the line then life is not worth living. I've been crying myself to sleep everyday since the M8's release. Because I am insecure :D

(that's sarcasm btw)>
Do you really have any idea how ridiculous you sound right now lol. You're not even discussing the phone(which is the actual topic) but me now because you can't make an argument that actually has a stable foundation without making personal attacks. :) I mean i am not offended(i am actually amused at this reaction). Like legit laughing.

In my defense, when I initially replied I actually wasn't aware it was the M8 forum. I saw the title and just replied(I don't look at Subforums unless i specifically need to go to that subforum). it wasn't until the angry replies of the village people, that i realized what forum it was in.

Perhaps WPC should add a rule...if you don't own the device, you shouldn't reply in it :p

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a problem with location services killing my battery on my G2, but poor reception at home and work hurts it pretty bad.

It might just be certain phones. A friend of mine had the same issues I did with the Note 3. I don't know what the pattern is, and that is probably why Google is having a lot of trouble tracking it down. It took a turn for the worse after 4.4.2.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm very excited about what Google is doing with android L. If I was on AT&T I would get a Nexus or Google play edition phone just for android L.

I haven't paid much attention to Android L except a thread where people pointed out some WP similarities or whatever. Android is just not visually appealing to me in the least. I am definitely looking at Apple though.

I actually do like IOS 8 and if the video of the new iPhone is legit, I may be willing to downgrade from 6 inches to 4.7 :)
For me, I want a Phone that can keep up with me.

I don't necessarily care about apps. When I briefly used Android again in 2013 when i had the 2013 htc one, i had all these apps but it was like "Okay...So what?"

I think WP dulled my need to download tons and tons of apps.
But i do want a software that can actually keep up with me and it doesn't feel like it is holding me back or an after thought. Apple's IOS 8 is very different for me and I am accustomed to WP way of doing things.

But i have some time left to understand it.
Unfortunately, Apple and the iPhone is what I wish my Lumia with Microsoft could be. And sadly that doesn't look to be the case.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll have to disagree :) Most people i know or come across generally know my phone as a Lumia Windows Phone. AS I said before, Common people aren't as ignorant/stupid about tech nowadays. They may not know what this feature means or that feature but my mother is on Windows Phone and she can definitely tell you the difference between Android and Windows Phone(She complains about it not being able to do things android can do) and she is not that bright when it comes to tech. LOVE YOU MOM<3 My friends recognize Lumia as windows phone because the first thing they say "It doesn't have a lot of apps. I hear that OS lacks this or that app." Perhaps in other countries such as India, does Nokia's name hold more power but here in the US, the Lumia Brand Name is what matters more and from my experience it does go with Windows Phone more so than Nokia(Most people don't call their phones by the OEm name.....Most people refer to it as Lumia 1520, One for WIndows, Iphone 5s, Galaxy S5, etc etc)
Lumia is synonymous of Nokia. Not Windows Phone. Common people don't have a clue about the OS they have on their phones. They know the phone's brand (because it's written there) and they know the name of their phone. If you say "Galaxy" people will think "Samsung". If you say "Lumia" people will think Nokia (actually often people don't think anything because Nokia phones are generally treated as "Nokia" and not by any other branding names like "Lumia"). If you say "iPhone" people think "Apple".
Only we, who like this stuff, associate phones with operating systems. The vast majority of consumers doesn't. Which is why Samsung is so comfortable with pushing Tizen forward. They know the vast majority of their user base will probably not even notice it's a different OS if all looks similar to TouchWiz.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that this is windows phone and the 801 really does not matter in most cases except to say "I'm first."

Didn't htc also announce a 64 Bit android phone...that android presently doesnt really support? But it is a First...
(I'll give HTC credit where credit is due...they are usually the 1st in a lot of things with Android but then unfortunately someone else winds up outdoing them(Samsung) by doing the same thing, but better and fully fledged".

I think my 1520 uses an 800? My friend now has an M8 which after various issues with it, he is returning for an Icon tomorrow, and side by side, the ONLY noticeable difference i see is the camera speed(LOL). Everything else is pretty much the same.

Then your argument about the HTC One being dated is an absolutely ridiculous statement since its specs isn't dated nor is the technology or hardware of the One. Where did you come out with such conclusion then?

I don't know where you're going with this but the One is definitely not dated.

The 64 Bit OS is not dated either, it's ahead of its time. I do not see anything in your reply that would support your statement of the HTC One being dated.

I like Nokia better but there is nothing wrong in acknowledging the competition. Had I not bought the 1520 a month ago, I would've gone with M8 for Windows. The camera of the 1520 is great but honestly, I'm not into photography and the 4 MP cam would suffice.

Yup, the 1520 uses the 800. Still, the processor is a hair dated than the M8.

I use the 1520 and it's a great device. Fantastic actually, the best phone I ever had but the M8 is a monster sans the camera. Definitely not dated and definitely a worthy competitor.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Then your argument about the HTC One being dated is an absolutely ridiculous statement since its specs isn't dated nor is the technology or hardware of the One. Where did you come out with such conclusion then?

I don't know where you're going with this but the One is definitely not dated.

The 64 Bit OS is not dated either, it's ahead of its time. I do not see anything in your reply that would support your statement of the HTC One being dated.

I like Nokia better but there is nothing wrong in acknowledging the competition. Had I not bought the 1520 a month ago, I would've gone with M8 for Windows. The camera of the 1520 is great but honestly, I'm not into photography and the 4 MP cam would suffice.

Yup, the 1520 uses the 800. Still, the processor is a hair dated than the M8.

I use the 1520 and it's a great device. Fantastic actually, the best phone I ever had but the M8 is a monster sans the camera. Definitely not dated and definitely a worthy competitor.

Sigh. I love how people literally focus on that one sentence but not the actual section it was apart of and the response it was to.

I said the Phone is dated because the person was talking about a flagship needs to be the most talked about device or whatever. In fact i'll just copy & paste what i said....

"1. Okay and the HTC M8 for windows is not the most talked about device. Keep in mind these are features that already existed on the Android device LMAO aka these are features that are not surprising in the least since wait for it...

The Phone is dated.

Meaning these are features we have already heard about and seen months ago when the original was released. I never said the Lumias were not dated either and i wasn't trying to make the Lumia sound better. I simply said the M8 for WIndows is dated since we already knew about these features when the phone was announced back in March.

I said that because i said it i is not the most talked about device......and even more so, after next week, it won't be discussed that much since Apple is going to own September with the iPhone release.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Sigh. I love how people literally focus on that one sentence but not the actual section it was apart of and the response it was to.

I said the Phone is dated because the person was talking about a flagship needs to be the most talked about device or whatever. In fact i'll just copy & paste what i said....

"1. Okay and the HTC M8 for windows is not the most talked about device. Keep in mind these are features that already existed on the Android device LMAO aka these are features that are not surprising in the least since wait for it...

The Phone is dated.

Meaning these are features we have already heard about and seen months ago when the original was released. I never said the Lumias were not dated either and i wasn't trying to make the Lumia sound better. I simply said the M8 for WIndows is dated since we already knew about these features when the phone was announced back in March.

I said that because i said it i is not the most talked about device......and even more so, after next week, it won't be discussed that much since Apple is going to own September with the iPhone release.

They might have taken it out of context, but including the context didn't change the meaning, LOL.

Perhaps WPC should add a rule...if you don't own the device, you shouldn't reply in it :p

Anyways....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They might have taken it out of context, but including the context didn't change the meaning, LOL.

LOL interpret it as you must...you love hitting that quote button just to quote me :p :) I know what i meant :D
(The 930 is dated...which is why i laughed when your buddy above said i was insecure about this phone stealing the 930s thunder...I'd hope so seeing as the phone was initially released in Feb-april lol)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
LOL interpret it as you must...you love hitting that quote button just to quote me :p :) I know what i meant :D
(The 930 is dated...which is why i laughed when your buddy above said i was insecure about this phone stealing the 930s thunder...I'd hope so seeing as the phone was initially released in Feb-april lol)

My buddy eh? I have no buddies in the WP community. In fact, unless people came from Android ICS and back, they don't even know of me. Which I prefer, because I've retired from doing that stuff.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

The Phone is dated.

That is not the meaning of dated.

I didn't read your whole post? Can you re-read my post and see what I have left out? I've said something about your ridiculous "dated" rant. I answered the 64-bit part and I answered the Lumia 1520 is an 800 part.

What have I left out? I think I'm not the one having reading problems here. Did you mean the phone is nothing revolutionary? Maybe that's the statement you wanted to say. Maybe you took the term "dated" out of context too?

The meaning of dated is releasing a phone in 2014 with a Tegra 3 processor, a 5 MP camera and a 1000 mAh battery with iOS 6, WP7 or Android Jellybean.

The HTC One has a Snapdragon 801 Processor, a 4MP ULTRAPIXEL (not gonna lie, it's underwhelming and mostly a gimmick but it's different technology than we're used to), a MicroSD Card slot up to 128GB and a very decent battery with the modern design of HTC Phones.

Also, this runs WP8.1 out of the box.

I'm sorry if I have taken it out of context but your meaning of "dated" isn't what it is.

PaulMilbank

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If they could just start releasing these phones outside of the US, I would be so happy. I know NZ is the arse end of the world tech wise, but still. :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]I think the OP has a great point about the availability of a particular device on all major US carriers making it popular as a flagship model.

Android devices made by HTC and Motorola were initially carrier exclusives, mainly for T-Mobile (HTC Dream, aka G1) or Verizon (OG Droid).

The Galaxy line from Samsung was the first Android line that wasn't carrier exclusive, which really helped it become popular.

If all of the major US carriers get the M8, that could make it a popular Windows Phone.

I don't think comparisons between the M8 and various Nokia devices (all of which are carrier exclusives at this time) is the topic of discussion here. Comparisons of different devices, even if they are all Windows Phones, would be more suitable as a separate thread in the Phone Wars forum.[/WARN]

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay. We have all vented about the devices. Now, let us ponder scottcraft's purpose for posting this thread:

Could HTC hit it big with the ONE for Windows on all 4 major carriers, fill a void, and become WP's version of the Galaxy line? The dominate name/line of devices?

I love this topic. It brings the business side of Mobile into our threads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss