Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If this phone sells well, and the fact it's available on most carriers could this become the flagship line of WP much like the Galaxy is for Android, even though Google produces the Nexus?

There's got to be a reason most of the carriers, (ahem Spint) have jumped on adding this phone to their lineups. Maybe they're predicting this phone will sell well.

Move over, Verizon: Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T all to get Windows Phone 8.1 HTC One M8 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

not really lumias will always be the main wps like the nexus androids, M8 might be like the G3 of WPs,some extra features here and there and loss of a few exclusives to lumias just like nexus 5 and LG G2 on android

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nokia had been the dominant Windows phone manufacturer, but I have a hard time considering them the Galaxy of WP when they can't release a flagship on all carriers. If the M8 makes it to all the US carriers HTC will have done something Nokia hasn't managed to do. I will always think Nokia blew it by not releasing the Icon on all carriers.

thing is the carrier system itself is wrong in a way
in india we have an an ala carte sorta system- bring your own phone or buy from carrier(sim unlocked ),your choice of plans etc
all phones get updates as country variants
so unlike the lumia icon and 810 on verizon,all lumias in india(and other countries) got updates

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It actually could, as you should be getting the same phone regardless of carrier and has not been "touched up" to by the carriers. For example, the 830 has a few variants and I am just hoping the carriers can refrain themselves from removing features like disabling FM Radio but I'm not holding my breath.

This is the test case that a lot of users have been asking for, as this should highlight the weakest link in the chain - the store reps. No amount of slide shows and training will over come their confirmation bias. They need to be incentivised to push WP and only then we should see a sharp up take for windows phone in the US.

As right now WP can go one of two ways, up or down...in the US given the impending launch of the 4.7 iphone 6 and iphone 5.5 air. Also the smartphone pie is getting bigger by the month as more users migrate from feature phones to smartphones and for these users devices sub ?70 would sell like hot cakes.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What I'm thinking is that it would be really interesting if average consumers walk into their local wireless carrier store and pick up the HTC One M8 Windows Phone version not actually realizing there's a difference between it and the original Android version. Don't get me wrong, I think that could be a good thing because they might be pleasantly surprised when they play around with the phone and get familiar with the OS. That could be something huge for the platform, especially if enough people not familiar with OSes in general buy it. I hope I'm making sense here... I do see many tech enthusiasts buying it as well, though, those who already know and love Windows Phone. I'm not sure the M8 for WP will become synonymous with Samsung's Galaxy line, though (since there are a billion and then some Galaxy phones on all the carriers), but it certainly can't hurt Windows Phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I will say this though...if we MUST get these Android Rehashes, I'd much Rather have this phone from HTC tbh
Introducing the Newest Member of the HTC Butterfly Family - HTC Blog

It makes me wonder why HTC sticks a 4 megapixel camera in the One series but their Butterfly series has the same Duo camera with 13 megapixels and the same FFC and pretty much is the same exact phone as the M8 just made with Plastic for Japan. I know megapixels are not everything but it really can't be worse than the One M8 camera.

(I just forgot...I actually owned the HTC butterfly when i used Android lol. It was called the droid Dna in the US and I loved that phone. It was the best HTC phone i ever used to date...And i actually like the speakers on it)

This is the kind of thing I mean. HTC is quite able to tweak the ONE M8 to make the Butterfly as a specific variation for certain markets and they could do the same thing for WP(I mean really can those markets really outsell the whole entire world where WIndows phone is sold).

But yeah If we had to have rehashes, I wish we could've gotten the Butterfly series since it actually looks a lot better to me than the One series and I could almost consider stepping down from 20 to 13(definitely not 4) in favor of that FFC :)

I wanted to be sure I said something Positive :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will say this though...if we MUST get these Android Rehashes, I'd much Rather have this phone from HTC tbh
Introducing the Newest Member of the HTC Butterfly Family - HTC Blog

It makes me wonder why HTC sticks a 4 megapixel camera in the One series but their Butterfly series has the same Duo camera with 13 megapixels and the same FFC and pretty much is the same exact phone as the M8 just made with Plastic for Japan.

This is the kind of thing I mean. HTC is quite able to tweak the ONE M8 to make the Butterfly as a specific variation for certain markets and they could do the same thing for WP(I mean really can those markets really outsell the whole entire world where WIndows phone is sold).

But yeah If we had to have rehashes, I wish we could've gotten the Butterfly series since it actually looks a lot better to me than the One series and I could almost consider stepping down from 20 to 13(definitely not 4) in favor of that FFC :)

I wanted to be sure I said something Positive :p

That's actually a nice device. It's too bad HTC isn't even selling this Android version here in the US. I could see this one being popular in both an Android and a WP version if it was sold here.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's actually a nice device. It's too bad HTC isn't even selling this Android version here in the US. I could see this one being popular in both an Android and a WP version if it was sold here.

Same here...I mean the M8 is nice looking and all but the Butterfly series has a bit of personality to its design it seems like....I also think the M8's camera really does work against it and it really does seem like for many people(I know people who of course claim it is suitable for them) they won't even consider this phone(Android or Windows) because of the camera(which i can agree with, same with me).

That's actually perplexing to me and I wish i can ask...it's almost as if they don't have confidence in the Ultrapixel. I mean this is supposed to be the new cool way to take pics so why not keep the same ultrapixel device if the phones are virtually the same. A 13 megapixel M8 probably would have less of a stigma(i know it would with me) than the 4 megapixel M8...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the idea of the M8 becoming a WP version of Galaxy but it will or it should help MS to recognize a design standard that could be used for its own, wait for it, Surface line of smart phones. Still, it is my opinion that Windows Phone be squashed and Microsoft develop the Surface line of smart phones. Mid to High End. Let Lumia remain mid to low end models.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Same here...I mean the M8 is nice looking and all but the Butterfly series has a bit of personality to its design it seems like....I also think the M8's camera really does work against it and it really does seem like for many people(I know people who of course claim it is suitable for them) they won't even consider this phone(Android or Windows) because of the camera(which i can agree with, same with me).

That's actually perplexing to me and I wish i can ask...it's almost as if they don't have confidence in the Ultrapixel. I mean this is supposed to be the new cool way to take pics so why not keep the same ultrapixel device if the phones are virtually the same. A 13 megapixel M8 probably would have less of a stigma(i know it would with me) than the 4 megapixel M8...

I also don't understand why HTC didn't bump up the resolution on the M8 to at least 8mp. I wish they would have kept ois too. But I guess that continues to prove that there isn't a perfect phone. Each and every one of them have weaknesses, we just have to decide which is more important to us.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the idea of the M8 becoming a WP version of Galaxy but it will or it should help MS to recognize a design standard that could be used for its own, wait for it, Surface line of smart phones. Still, it is my opinion that Windows Phone be squashed and Microsoft develop the Surface line of smart phones. Mid to High End. Let Lumia remain mid to low end models.

I actually could get behind that. I definitely would not mind a Surface type of Phone akin to my 1520....and given that the low end Lumia are the most successful, i can see that working perfectly for low/mid end.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Okay. We have all vented about the devices. Now, let us ponder AngrySprintUser purpose for posting this thread:

Could HTC hit it big with the ONE for Windows on all 4 major carriers, fill a void, and become WP's version of the Galaxy line? The dominate name/line of devices?

I love this topic. It brings the business side of Mobile into our threads.

:wink:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay. We have all vented about the devices. Now, let us ponder scottcraft's purpose for posting this thread:

Could HTC hit it big with the ONE for Windows on all 4 major carriers, fill a void, and become WP's version of the Galaxy line? The dominate name/line of devices?

I love this topic. It brings the business side of Mobile into our threads.

Thanks snowmutt, lol. Whenever people say something good of HTC, a few people have to say that "I like Nokia more", etc, which isn't what the op said. :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's something Nokia has never heard of, and I don't think ever will. Since the 900, the 900!!!

Where I live, it's been possible to get every single Lumia on any one of our carriers. ;-)

Nokia has heard all about it.

Still, it's good that at least HTC is getting it right in the U.S. If MS helps market it, I suspect it will become the best selling high end WP in the U.S.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
That depends on whether HTC decides to continue providing hardware upgrades/features to compliment the WP OS. If they do such then it can be especially if the WP8.1/9/THRESHOLD OS is shown to be a very viable OS for consumers looking to change from either IOS or ANDROID. So yes the HTC version of the M8 for android on WP can be like the Galaxy S line, but like I've said it depends on whether they release feature rich hardware to support the OS or if they release hardware to mirror that found on ANDROID first.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What I'm thinking is that it would be really interesting if average consumers walk into their local wireless carrier store and pick up the HTC One M8 Windows Phone version not actually realizing there's a difference between it and the original Android version. Don't get me wrong, I think that could be a good thing because they might be pleasantly surprised when they play around with the phone and get familiar with the OS. That could be something huge for the platform, especially if enough people not familiar with OSes in general buy it. I hope I'm making sense here... I do see many tech enthusiasts buying it as well, though, those who already know and love Windows Phone. I'm not sure the M8 for WP will become synonymous with Samsung's Galaxy line, though (since there are a billion and then some Galaxy phones on all the carriers), but it certainly can't hurt Windows Phone.

You are, but the problems are the store reps here is a typical example:

I went to my local curry's megastore last week (with a neighbour) which has a small section for Phones4u a major retailer for phones. I noticed several users were playing with a windows phone on display, a few minutes later a rep comes up and says something to the users. The puzzled look on their faces piqued my interest further so I left my neighbour playing with the Surface 2, as I walking the rep turns around and does this:

WP_20140822_14_39_03_Pro.jpg

Yes, that is right... he turned the phone off... and along with the 930 on display.

I had started videoing the whole thing as I was approaching the phones4u section (suspecting lies were being told) but the security guard who was near by saw me (since the section is near to the entrance) and made me delete it... apparently there was an incident the past so he tells me without elaborating.

Unfortunately lies were being told, what I heard was "Windows Phone cannot play youtube, doesn't do facebook", before being confronted by the guard. Since I am regular there I didn't get booted off the premises lol (and which is why I complied).

I was able to get away with a quick picture of one of the phones turned off as there was no people in that image.

I am starting to think maybe I should get a memento life camera and send footage of these lying reps to MS.. getting sick and tired of these liars pushing their confirmation bias and own agenda. When they should be assisting the customers in choosing the ideal phone that meets their needs.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I went to my local curry's megastore last week (with a neighbour) which has a small section for Phones4u a major retailer for phones. I noticed several users were playing with a windows phone on display, a few minutes later a rep comes up and says something to the users. The puzzled look on their faces piqued my interest further so I left my neighbour playing with the Surface 2, as I walking the rep turns around and does this:

View attachment 79396

Yes, that is right... he turned the phone off... and along with the 930 on display.

I had started videoing the whole thing as I was approaching the phones4u section (suspecting lies were being told) but the security guard who was near by saw me (since the section is near to the entrance) and made me delete it... apparently there was an incident the past so he tells me without elaborating.

Unfortunately lies were being told, what I heard was "Windows Phone cannot play youtube, doesn't do facebook", before being confronted by the guard. Since I am regular there I didn't get booted off the premises lol (and which is why I complied).

I was able to get away with a quick picture of one of the phones turned off as there was no people in that image.

I am starting to think maybe I should get a memento life camera and send footage of these lying reps to MS.. getting sick and tired of these liars pushing their confirmation bias and own agenda. When they should be assisting the customers in choosing the ideal phone that meets their needs.

Hmm I wonder who is behind this. Someone is spreading lies. Trying to make windows phone stay down.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 79396

What country is this in?

No one including actual law enforcement agencies can make anyone in this country delete anything on your phone...and would be subject to some major fines if they did.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 79396

What Xperia is that beside the Lumia?
And wow that is ridiculous....I always like to play dumb when i go Phone shopping just to see what BS that the sales people push at me.

I remember one of them told me there was no instagram(which at the time WAS true) and i said well i had a friend who said there was better alternative apps for instagram that had more features the android version

to which he was like

"Oh yeah. Don't trust those. They are knock-offs that steal your data. I wouldn't trust the apps not to steal my data."
LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99