Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sony's M2, their new mid-range offering. They've also released the M2 Aqua, which sports IP68, meaning, it's waterproof up until around 2m.

i'd love to see a water proof Lumia(or windows phone). I mean granted I dont have a major need for it but it could be fun on a Lumia to take pics under water.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I wonder who is behind this. Someone is spreading lies. Trying to make windows phone stay down.

I have yet to see an unbias sales rep in a phone shop.

What country is this in?

No one including actual law enforcement agencies can make anyone in this country delete anything on your phone...and would be subject to some major fines if they did.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Happened in Currys, major retailer in the UK and well If I had made a scene it could have resulted in a store ban :eck: as i was recording people without consent according to one of my cousins (he works at Smyths and used to work at Currys prior). One of the reasons why Google glasses never took off other than the insane price.

What Xperia is that beside the Lumia?
And wow that is ridiculous....I always like to play dumb when i go Phone shopping just to see what BS that the sales people push at me.

I remember one of them told me there was no instagram(which at the time WAS true) and i said well i had a friend who said there was better alternative apps for instagram that had more features the android version

to which he was like

"Oh yeah. Don't trust those. They are knock-offs that steal your data. I wouldn't trust the apps not to steal my data."
LOL

I believe that is the Sony M2?

I tried the dumb approach but the lies... are just too insulting lol not to mention the countless strong armed pushes you get into signing up to deals just so they can meet their quota.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You are, but the problems are the store reps here is a typical example:

I went to my local curry's megastore last week (with a neighbour) which has a small section for Phones4u a major retailer for phones. I noticed several users were playing with a windows phone on display, a few minutes later a rep comes up and says something to the users. The puzzled look on their faces piqued my interest further so I left my neighbour playing with the Surface 2, as I walking the rep turns around and does this:

View attachment 79396

Yes, that is right... he turned the phone off... and along with the 930 on display.

I had started videoing the whole thing as I was approaching the phones4u section (suspecting lies were being told) but the security guard who was near by saw me (since the section is near to the entrance) and made me delete it... apparently there was an incident the past so he tells me without elaborating.

Unfortunately lies were being told, what I heard was "Windows Phone cannot play youtube, doesn't do facebook", before being confronted by the guard. Since I am regular there I didn't get booted off the premises lol (and which is why I complied).

I was able to get away with a quick picture of one of the phones turned off as there was no people in that image.

I am starting to think maybe I should get a memento life camera and send footage of these lying reps to MS.. getting sick and tired of these liars pushing their confirmation bias and own agenda. When they should be assisting the customers in choosing the ideal phone that meets their needs.

That story just makes me sad. :unhappy: That is just plain wrong. WTF???

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i'd love to see a water proof Lumia(or windows phone). I mean granted I dont have a major need for it but it could be fun on a Lumia to take pics under water.

Maybe when waterproofing becomes more mainstream you'll see one (aka "when Apple does it").
Or better yet, if Sony does what HTC did and starts releasing Xperia phones with WP in them. That would be awesome and better than having Microsoft Mobile doing anything =P

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

What I can report from my local Verizon store is that many reps are actively recommending Windows Phone becomes of the One M8. Almost all of the reps switched their phones over this month to the M8 and they weren't forced to do so by VZW either.

One reason is because they think Cortana is beyond cool. I showed them the new folders feature in 8.1.1 and how easy it was to use and they were wowed. Most are tired of Android and iOS, but they felt that the One M8 finally made WP8 a legit thing to recommend.

I have asked my local reps about sales and they have each said "exceeding projections by a wide margin". I heard the same from my VZW corporate sales contact pretty much. VZW has already ordered a second run of the M8 for Windows from HTC and apparently the HTC contacts are very happy with the performance of the limited release. LG is watching with interest - and I've heard that even Samsung is as well. I never thought it possible, but Samsung has begun doing market research of Galaxy for Windows against the ATIV name - so it may actually be possible that we may see a Galaxy for Windows. It looks like if you offer an option on the same phone, people will often choose the Windows variant.

Verizon also found that the "for Windows" badge is a much better tag than "Windows Phone", so I think that movement towards Windows badging as Threshold approaches will further help.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.

What I can report from my local Verizon store is that many reps are actively recommending Windows Phone becomes of the One M8. Almost all of the reps switched their phones over this month to the M8 and they weren't forced to do so by VZW either.

One reason is because they think Cortana is beyond cool. I showed them the new folders feature in 8.1.1 and how easy it was to use and they were wowed. Most are tired of Android and iOS, but they felt that the One M8 finally made WP8 a legit thing to recommend.

I have asked my local reps about sales and they have each said "exceeding projections by a wide margin". I heard the same from my VZW corporate sales contact pretty much. VZW has already ordered a second run of the M8 for Windows from HTC and apparently the HTC contacts are very happy with the performance of the limited release. LG is watching with interest - and I've heard that even Samsung is as well. I never thought it possible, but Samsung has begun doing market research of Galaxy for Windows against the ATIV name - so it may actually be possible that we may see a Galaxy for Windows. It looks like if you offer an option on the same phone, people will often choose the Windows variant.

Verizon also found that the "for Windows" badge is a much better tag than "Windows Phone", so I think that movement towards Windows badging as Threshold approaches will further help.

I don't get it, why did the m8 pull them over and not the L930 or something? What does it have that is so spectacular?

MaC121

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't get it, why did the m8 pull them over and not the L930 or something? What does it have that is so spectacular?

The name. More people know what the HTC One is. A lot of people who aren't mobile enthusiasts have no idea what a lumia is.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

What's spectacular..?

When taken as a whole package....The whole phone is and as the other manufacturers realize the importance of this platform,more will follow....

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Cortana is one. The Icon did not come to Verizon with 8.1. The One M8 is the first phone they have in store where they can try out Cortana without going Developer Preview.

The brick thing is another. I actually think they will also recommend the 830 if they get it because it is thinner and lighter for a good price. I've heard VZW is getting them and the price is around $350. They are getting more and more customers on EDGE who are now conscious of the price of the phone. The 830 would be about $12 less per month on EDGE than the S5 or the One M8. It's also cheaper than the S4 or the new or old iPhones. So it's thin, probably has a good sized battery, and is more than adequate for most people. I actually think the 830 could be a big phone IF they can get it on the carriers.

However, the One M8 is a halo device. It helps HTC sell more handsets, but also gives the platform credibility with a direct comparison. What if Windows gets better battery life on the same hardware consistently? That's an advertizable selling point. Indeed, if MS can get the metrics on that and have them independently verified, I would create an if I were them. Show Android and iOS users wandering around, trying to find plugs while the Windows user just uses their phone with no worries. If the One M8 consistently does better in battery life, there's no reason why that can't be done.

The One M8 got Windows Phone attention. It also showed a company bringing a flagship Android device over. I believe LG will be doing that soon too - and LG also could bring some cheaper handsets over and if those are faster and get better battery life than their same, exact Android conterparts - well, the argument makes itself. I see very little loyalty to Android or even to Google IF you can provide alternatives AND give people an easy way to move.

I also think Microsoft intentionally is focusing on low and midrange because they know that if where the war will be won and market can be gained. Here in the States, contracts are going to become a thing of the past. That's devastating to a company like Apple. Imagine if they have to sell their iPhone for $100 less per just to maintain sales (and probably for more if pricing gets aggressive). Right now, they thrive on subsidies from big cell providers. But let's say they have to sell a new iPhone for $100 less. Notice how iPad sales are diving while Apple tries to force the high price point in a competitive market. $100 less per iPhone on 30 million in a quarter means $3 BILLION less in revenue and cuts profits from around $8B to $5B. Lower prices in a more price conscious market as contracts fade favors Microsoft IF they market appropriately and get the designs right. Mass market will be lower price, not the higher price M8 as nice as it is. I pay $30 a month for mine on EDGE. Many people will not and if the 830 comes in at $18 a month for the same duration, that's tempting to a lot of people.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
It's going to take more than any one phone to do what the op is asking about.

It's going to take Microsoft to change not only their outlook on the os,but how they spend their their money.

Until they realize that the Xbox mentality is one of the main reasons for disliking the platform for many people,things won't really change,same for Internet Explorer.....

It's not just loyalty to Google that makes Android the #1 selling platform,it's giving people a choice of all kinds of different devices along with how and what they want on their phones that does this,then having the applications available and the means to enable them that does as well as innovation.

If a camera was the deciding factor,or music and video players,or just security...It would be different,but it's not nor has ever been just one thing...

This phone is a good start,as well as bringing other flagship phones to the platform,but without the fundamentals that Android offers,it will only languish.

No one thing or one phone will ever change this. It has to be taken as a whole package if Microsoft truly wants WP to make significant inroads for the market share.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All the more reason that Microsoft needs to adopt an apple method. I honestly can't see Microsoft hitting google level.

As far as the m8 I really don't want this phone to become our mascot or even Lumia for that matter. While I do think Lumia hardware is the overall full package with more features the average user cares about, the fact of the matter is the low end is where Lumia excels so leave Lumia for low mid range.

Make the surface brand into something akin to the iPhone and iPad and utilize your strengths with Xbox along with taking pureview technology and other Nokia elements and create a surface phone.

It doesn't need to copy google to become the galaxy so much as be a viable alternative.

Sigh if only i could talk to whomever the heck is in charge of windows phone. I certainly wouldn't let some of the stuff we have now to get released.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It's going to take more than any one phone to do what the op is asking about.

It's going to take Microsoft to change not only their outlook on the os,but how they spend their their money.

Until they realize that the Xbox mentality is one of the main reasons for disliking the platform for many people,things won't really change,same for Internet Explorer.....

It's not just loyalty to Google that makes Android the #1 selling platform,it's giving people a choice of all kinds of different devices along with how and what they want on their phones that does this,then having the applications available and the means to enable them that does as well as innovation.

If a camera was the deciding factor,or music and video players,or just security...It would be different,but it's not nor has ever been just one thing...

This phone is a good start,as well as bringing other flagship phones to the platform,but without the fundamentals that Android offers,it will only languish.

No one thing or one phone will ever change this. It has to be taken as a whole package if Microsoft truly wants WP to make significant inroads for the market share.

I find few that are loyal to Google. They use it because it's there. Had MS gotten WP7 out a bit sooner and more complete while going with the $0 license fee then, they may have seen a surge. They are late to adapting their model.

You do have to attack Android head on, at the same time Android has issues that drag it down. The key is growing the marketshare consistently and eroding Android's. I look at Android as a dead end and a platform that no one will likely use in five years IF things are managed correctly. Even Samsung in all their might would prefer to drive volume through a $0 license and $0 patent fee setup that Windows Phone now offers. They don't need to pay Google for services. They don't need to pay Microsoft or others for patents because they are protected under MS' umbrella. The key is getting to a point where Samsung, HTC, and others will back off on Android gradually because WP is picking up the slack, but that will not happen overnight.

Google is in terrible shape in some respects. Android without Google is growing faster than their locked in version and IF it does ever occur that handset makers are not dependent on them a dumping lawsuit that will cost them billions and billions would ensue.

MS' approach is getting right. Midrange and low range, targeting new smartphone users. If your numbers grow, the apps will grow and the gap will become zero.

They also are moving to encourage ALL apps, Android, iOS, and WP to be made in .NET so they are quickly able to compile for whichever OS. They are working on moving developers over and they do have a HUGE advantage here because the Android and iOS tools are very outdated. I have talked to no developers that would refuse developing in Visual Studio for all platforms if it worked well for them. Microsoft is actively recruiting Android and iOS developers to begin a shift to Visual Studio and providing some help IF they are going to use that same development to focus on universal apps in Windows.

Marketing is where they need to push and also where they need the most help. I've already pointed to battery life ads. Ads can be made also highlighting self expression with a slogan such as "Windows - Because you're more than just a grid of icons". You can also make fun of Android and iOS for using interfaces that are "so last century". Take jabs at your competition. Be cheeky. If you are confident in the user experience, the whole point is to just get people to use your product.

Conversion is another point. They need Apple and Google converters that are nearly seamless. To the extreme, you can attempt to even move someone off gmail and completely into the MS universe. Data migration from iCloud or Google Drive to OneDrive. App matching AND credits for apps purchased on the other platform. They could really use some competition to YouTube as well - so it may not be a bad idea to try to buy Vimeo and integrate it while working to make it better than YouTube across all devices. Be smarter with the ads and work to minimize data usage over mobile connections.

There isn't one phone that will change the tide. They need a full strategy to attack and get others on board with them. Part of this is making sure their experiences are excellent - and they've done a poor job of that so far with things like Xbox Music, etc.

I believe with the right mode of attack, Google will be in worse shape than Yahoo is now within five years because they sold people on a "free" OS that they knew wasn't free. They are in trouble anyways. Historically companies that are reliant on ad revenue without creating product (so TV networks don't count nor do ad agencies) always stumble long term. 95% of Google revenue is from ads. Their per ad revenue is in decline, so they can only make up by pushing more and more ads. Microsoft actually now collects more per ad than Google because they are more effective in generating clicks through Bing. Let's consider what happens if advertisers can make more by letting MS handle online ads through websites. As contracts expire, hits are made to Google. They've already lost some big contracts. They are likely to lose even more.

The key is having a competent strategy and executing it well - but it has to be a big picture strategy that hits several points.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12