Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I hate to break this to you,but Google's ad revenue isn't declining,but increasing...Look at their quarterly earnings report for the last 2 years...

Secondly, widgets aren't last century..and is preferred by a larger margin than tiles.,just as the desktop is preferred over the metro ui,most every poll has shown this.

Being able to change the look to any way a person wants is one of the most versatile things all Android users appreciate,even to look like a WP ui if wanted.

Yes..wishful thinking of Android going away is what you are saying about this...because Microsoft can't or won't allow the very things that the majority of smartphone users wants,and that is freedom of choice...when you limit people what they can do with their phones,it drives people away after the newness has worn off...and that is one of the biggest reason Android market share keeps increasing,because even the cheapest Android phone can be changed to the owners wishes....even if the same exact apps were on both...

Does having the HTC m8 on WP make a difference...sure it does.
But there needs to be more than just the one...and fundamental changes need to be made in the os as well to really make the platform shine...and this doesn't include Xbox or internet explorer...The majority of the people in the world don't own a game console and Microsoft lost the browser wars long time ago..and was forced to unbundle it on the desktop..forcing every browser and music player to use both is self defeating..since there are better alternative apps..but that's for another discussion....

I for one am glad that the m8 is a legitimate WP now...and it's time for all the other companies to step up to the plate and bring their latest and greatest to the platform...and hopefully Microsoft can learn from their mistakes..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I Really Wish People would stop going on and on about the M8 and putting it higher than it is....

Has nothing to do with jealousy/hate and not even about the Camera. The Icon & M8 are both great devices but at the end of the day...the M8 being on every carrier does not mean sales will increase(Sure didn't help Blackberry) but at the same time it is STILL a Windows Phone. The M8 for Android is not exactly a top seller(that likely goes to Samsung, Sony, Motorola and LG then HTC). So why do people think the Windows Phone Version would be any different.

It'll sell likely the same as any Lumia High End Model(And perhaps less since Lumia is generally the De Facto Standard when it comes to High End).

I am not dissing the phone. I am stating more or less fact...at the end of the day the M8 is just another Windows Phone. Yes it has the cool speakers and SD card support but that doesn't matter really. Dot View is a gimmick(one i really can't see the hype for)....The Ir Blaster is not that special.And the amazing battery life is great but if that is the case, then the Droid Maxx devices with the 24+ hour would've been outselling other devices.

Even a Lumia with a 41 megapixel at the end of the day do not matter.

I asked my friends tonight at Breakfast for their opinions on Windows Phone and this is what they said

1. Instagram sucks on it.
2. Youtube sucks on it.
3. I can't use Google Plus(the poor souls)
4. Skype is weird
5. It lacks such and such game
6. I cant check my bank on it since there is no app
7. Kik sucks(it really does)
8. I can't Vine Message on Vine

Very rarely do I hear people go on and on about Customizing the device. If Windows Phone starts letting OEMs butcher the OS, I am out. I do not want that because HTC, Samsung and other OEMs will throw their BS crap UI/tweaks on it. I am fine with Blinkfeed on an HTC Device....But i dont want them to have the ability to make Blinkfeed replace Windows Phone UI(even though they look alike).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is....it doesn't matter what cool features it has...The M8 is not going to save us nor is it a start to something different.

Until we get the Apps we need and get them to have the same features....Wp will suffer greatly.

We already have started building an Army on the low end....keep doing that. Release Better devices. We need a Moto E/G device....the 530 and 630 are not that. Thankfully, those other lesser brands are making more comparable devices to compete.

The M8 is a good device, yes but it still lacks various things just as a High end Lumia Might.
It's time to stop matching Spec to Spec.

What we need is something Game Changing. Windows Phone needs to stop playing catch up. It doesn't need to copy what google does and Open the OS up(Because Google now is trying to reign in that openness and make it more uniform with Android L).

It needs to CATCH up and then Set its own trend.

As I said before...Be apple. Not google.

Regardless of what people say about Apple, I get excited for apple announcements because they do introduce some cool things. I like the fingerprint scanner.

I liked Siri when it was first announced....we got Cortana and it is great but by now it is nothing special.

It's why I am considering going to Apple fully because I love Windows phone but Microsoft is chasing the wrong philosophy....If anything it needs to take the best of Apple and Android.

Until Microsoft stops playing catch up and starts putting Pressure on Google/Apple to catch up to them.....Until we get the Apps on par with everyone else....Microsoft will be in the place it is.

More importantly, the M8 likely will not be the galaxy.

if An Army of Lumias can't do it worldwide, the M8 from HTC who literally is nowhere as powerful as they were before can't do it. It doesn't matter what Manufacturer releases what android flagship on Windows Phone....

The Problem is not the hardware...... It is and always has been the App problem and the Perception the OS is weaker than the others and until that gets fixed, no there will be no Galaxy type devices.

Until OEMs actually do something with their Windows Phone and make it known they make them, we'll be where we are.
But i'll give HTC Credit. Perhaps they are actually doing something different this time around.

I still think Lumia is where WP truly shines and I support Windows Phone Lumias over anything else...But this is the first time I've seen HTC give Front Focus to a WINDOWS PHONE product.

Still...they have a lot to prove to me(and many others) who do not believe in them. But this does make me happy to see that unlike usual, the M8 for windows is not being hidden in a submenu.
http://i.gyazo.com/4c36e1e40b60d55268a1171c14b4fa7e.png

Some Ideas for Microsoft:
1. My favorite Android Device was the Xperia play. I could play Playstation games on it with an actual Playstation controller sliding out for the phone.
Xperia-PLAY_Black_CA02_screen2.jpg

I'd love to be able to play Xbox Games(I mean actual Xbox Games) on my Phone.

make a Lumia with this capabilities....Throw Halo on it and I am sure fanboys will kill to get it. Or perhaps Titanfall or something. Idk...but create something like that.

2. Another Android Device I liked that was before its time...the Kyocera Echo.
72429582-kyocera-echo.jpg
I loved the Dual Screen and how it expanded the OS and you can have to apps running side by side. I could be on youtube in one screen and in the other screen have text messaging open. With Windows Phone 8.1 a device like this could be amazing.

I'll give Android one thing. The OS is awful to me and unattractive but so many innovative designs and experiments come from Android.

I don't want rehashes of Android phones like M8. I want to see OEMs take a risk on Windows Phone. I want them to release a Windows Phone device and then do the opposite and release it on Android.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I hate to break this to you,but Google's ad revenue isn't declining,but increasing...Look at their quarterly earnings report for the last 2 years...

Didn't say ad revenue, I said "per ad revenue". That means the dollar amount per ad is in decline - and sharply. They are having to push more and that is actually causing a lot more annoyance on web sites. I know their quarterly reports quite well. The dam is going to burst in the next year and Google will tank in a panic and lose a significant part of its market cap. I saw Apple's dip a few years ago coming - this will be much bigger because Google has no hardware sales to prop itself up. When it hits decline, it will keep declining.

Secondly, widgets aren't last century..and is preferred by a larger margin than tiles.,just as the desktop is preferred over the metro ui,most every poll has shown this.

Very rarely do I hear people love widgets. They know them, they don't love them. Whether they are last century or not is irrelevant anyways. The whole point of that marketing campaign is to slag on something and create the idea that they are archaic. If you begin to create that idea, you can foster it and attempt to shift perception and cause rebellion against the widgets, etc.

Every poll has shown that Metro is well liked on touch and not well liked on traditional PCs. Windows 9 will fix that and also create something new that Android won't do - a synergy between tablet, phone, and laptop that has yet to exist. The idea of having contextual apps that detect your input device and use the proper UI for it is coming to Windows only and Microsoft is testing new APIs that will allow for Modern UI development on the desktop that can adapt to touch. Office will move to the Modern UI entirely in the future BUT will be able to operate in a window on a machine with a Desktop AND adapt its UI to the mouse/keyboard or the touch interface.

Being able to change the look to any way a person wants is one of the most versatile things all Android users appreciate,even to look like a WP ui if wanted.

I've never heard anyone say they like it. They hate that there is no predictability from phone to phone. Which Android? HTC's skin? Samsung's? I find it hilarious to watch people who are use to one manufacturer try to figure out how to use another OEM's device and how there is no consistency. Most people DON'T customize their phones. Enthusiasts do and they make up a small fraction. Less than 1% root their phones or do much with customization outside of folders and wallpapers.

Yes..wishful thinking of Android going away is what you are saying about this...because Microsoft can't or won't allow the very things that the majority of smartphone users wants,and that is freedom of choice...when you limit people what they can do with their phones,it drives people away after the newness has worn off...and that is one of the biggest reason Android market share keeps increasing,because even the cheapest Android phone can be changed to the owners wishes....even if the same exact apps were on both...

Android violates intellectual property and is built on theft. Google is being assailed in many countries for their violations and being threatened with being shut down - and it appears that will only pick up. It also needs OEMs. These nice little start ups like One+One are going to get sued to Kingdom Come and not be able to afford the legal costs because of all the intellectual property Android has stolen.

Android market share increases because people feel they have no choice other than Apple. Customer satisfaction for Android is below 30% right now in the United States. People HATE Android. HATE it. Battery life is terrible. Performance is worse. Most people don't have high end handsets and it doesn't perform well when it's on midlevel hardware. The current data suggests that only Congress is less popular than Android, but people feel stuck with it. I have yet to meet a single person who loves it that is not a super duper tech geek and I meet smartphone users everyday. I'm serious about that. Not a single person outside of uber geeks has said they like it. They like their Galaxy, but they dislike this or that - all bits of Android.

Want to know the thing they hate most? The thing that Windows Phone can do that Android or iOS cannot? The One M8 for Android on Verizon will not allow you to delete the Verizon apps or the HTC apps on the phone - well, not very easily. Certainly an average user can't. The iPhone is similar. Good luck deleting NFL Mobile or My Verizon. Yet that operating system that apparently doesn't allow choice, Windows Phone, lets you delete anything you want that is not core to the system itself. And Microsoft, those backward thinkers, designed a system where they HOST specific apps for the OEM and the carrier that only those users can get. Google Play doesn't do that. Neither does the App Store. How backwards, giving users choices about what they install or wish to uninstall.

Why doesn't Android let you do that? Oh sure, and unmodified version would - though if you go with the Google Nexus style you even get microSD disabled in many areas - that's on Google's spec. Is that giving users options? I have yet to see a single off the shelf Android device that would let me install everything on SD, yet my backwards Windows Phone can do that. Sure, I could root the dang thing, but average joe isn't doing that.

How much do you think the average user HATES that they can't choose where to put their music or games or apps? Yet every off the shelf Android I have ever played with is so inconsistent on that storage. People really don't like that.

Does having the HTC m8 on WP make a difference...sure it does.
But there needs to be more than just the one...and fundamental changes need to be made in the os as well to really make the platform shine...and this doesn't include Xbox or internet explorer...The majority of the people in the world don't own a game console and Microsoft lost the browser wars long time ago..and was forced to unbundle it on the desktop..forcing every browser and music player to use both is self defeating..since there are better alternative apps..but that's for another discussion....

They lost the browser wars? Seriously? The most comprehensive measurement worldwide for usage indicates that IE sits at nearly 49% and Chrome at 15% - even accounting for Android handsets. You can use Wikimedia's measurements if you like, but those are largely rigged by how Google has gotten Chrome to report. It is far less used than you think, even on Android handsets where Firefox is used more than you think.

I love how Google's PR machine works to convince ya'll that they are in a stronger position than they are. Yet the paid metric I use is more comprehensive. Indications over the past month actually show that Firefox is likely to turn around and retake Chrome in the next six months, putting Chrome back into a distant third, even with all those Android handsets.

I for one am glad that the m8 is a legitimate WP now...and it's time for all the other companies to step up to the plate and bring their latest and greatest to the platform...and hopefully Microsoft can learn from their mistakes..

I think they are learning. They need to take a comprehensive approach. At least they have a diverse business model. Other companies are not so well off. If Apple's iPhone margins take a hit, they remain profitable but their value will sink.

Again, Google is the company in real trouble. They are now looked at suspiciously and more negatively than ever. People are more concerned about them gathering data on them than ever and metrics also indicate active use on their services such as Gmail is bleeding a bit - people are not using their Google accounts as actively. The last quarterly report showed per ad revenue continuing to decline in a big way and smaller gains. The negative is around the corner.

Will Google be able to do anything to prop themselves up? A couple negative quarters where they are going backwards and the press will circle like vultures. And if the stock declines, will people begin to move their data, their browsers, and even their phones away from them? Android Open Source is already outpacing the Google bundle of Android and that will accelerate, but the key is to be there to pick up the slack.

I know the carriers really don't like Android. It costs them a lot in support because they get none from Google. Many open source people may say "that's great", but from a company bottom line it is not. Long term, I expect Android to pull a Linux. The lawsuits and decline will cause Google to dump Android development and basically completely release themselves from responsibility. This will cause a massive drop in funding for development and greater fragmentation. Some OEMs may pick up the pieces themselves - Samsung in particular. Yet it will eventually become the enthusiast OS as Google declines and becomes a shadow of their current selves. Companies like Google do not survive long term as big players. Never had and never will. That's why they have been so desperate to try to find other places to profit, but they have only found failure. Even Android has been a bomb for them apart from the data they've acquired from it to push ads. Google Play is a small revenue generator and Google services fees aren't enough to cover the usage cost.

When ad revenue starts it's decline in the next year, it's going to be a roller coaster ride to the bottom for Google. You've been warned. The Google Bust is coming. Be prepared.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
^^ but also very interesting :)

98% of it was made up in his mind.

People hate Android!, carriers hate Android!, satisfaction rate below 30%!..lol. This was the ultimate "I hate Google" rant, and every single bullet point he made was wrong. Awesome post though, I love the enthusiasm.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

People hate Android!, carriers hate Android!, satisfaction rate below 30%!..lol. This was the ultimate "I hate Google" rant, and every single bullet point he made was wrong. Awesome post though, I love the enthusiasm.

It doesn't even matter when prefaced by this:

I Really Wish People would stop going on and on about the M8 and putting it higher than it is....

Has nothing to do with jealousy/hate<snip>

Its just another Micah post that hides M8 bashing inside of other posts. He undermines his own points with personal bias. My first thought is he would fix his problem by not reading an M8 forum, but anyway...

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't want rehashes of Android phones like M8. I want to see OEMs take a risk on Windows Phone. I want them to release a Windows Phone device and then do the opposite and release it on Android.

I rather see excellent hardware have multiple OS choices when considering buying. I should not have to be locked down to an OS to enjoy a particular phone. I am not asking for dual boot phones, but the ability to chose the OS I want with the phone I want during a purchase. To wish against such a thing is anti-choice and rather selfish.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess I must be one of the only people in the country that enjoys android. If I get the M8 for windows it won't be because I dislike my android in any way. Actually I would be losing functionality, apps and app quality by moving back to windows phone. The main attraction the windows version of the M8 has for me is battery life plus I enjoy the platform.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Interesting.

What I can report from my local Verizon store is that many reps are actively recommending Windows Phone becomes of the One M8. Almost all of the reps switched their phones over this month to the M8 and they weren't forced to do so by VZW either.

The few times I went into a Verizon store I knew exactly what I wanted and requested it. Not giving the salesman any chance of trying to talk me out of it. When I went in to get the M8 he got the phone and started the "you know there are no apps on Windows phone" speech. I snapped back at him and he shut up and apologized. If I wasn't in a hurry to get to work I would have requested to see a manager I was so pissed.

I must have missed this thread. Didn't even see it until today. Took awhile to read as well. However, if you skip over Micah's post it only takes about have the time.

Anyone back on topic. I don't know if the M8 can become WP version of the Galaxy. However, I listen to Windows Weekly all the time and when the Android M8 came out, Leo Laporte said (almost weekly) that only if WP 8 was on the M8, it would be a great phone. Who would have known? Now its here. Time will tell how well it will do.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't even matter when prefaced by this:

Its just another Micah post that hides M8 bashing inside of other posts. He undermines his own points with personal bias. My first thought is he would fix his problem by not reading an M8 forum, but anyway...

I rather see excellent hardware have multiple OS choices when considering buying. I should not have to be locked down to an OS to enjoy a particular phone. I am not asking for dual boot phones, but the ability to chose the OS I want with the phone I want during a purchase. To wish against such a thing is anti-choice and rather selfish.

you really love hitting the quote button on me don't you JUST so you can speak to me<3 Cute.
Perhaps you should read the rest of the post instead of quoting parts of the post, K?

or better yet ignore me and don't quote me<3

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
you really love hitting the quote button on me don't you JUST so you can speak to me<3 Cute.
Perhaps you should read the rest of the post instead of quoting parts of the post, K?

or better yet ignore me and don't quote me<3
I read it, but it doesn't matter. It's like people who say "no offense but..."

They say that because they intended to offend. It doesn't matter what they say next. You are no different. You meant what you said.

Don't like me quoting you? YOU could ignore me. The "reply with quote" feature is not the "reply with quote except for Micah" feature.

It's hard to take you serious when you post things like wanting people to stop saying great things about the M8. You undermined your whole post from there on out.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

They say that because they intended to offend. It doesn't matter what they say next. You are no different. You meant what you said.

Don't like me quoting you? YOU could ignore me. The "reply with quote" feature is not the "reply with quote except for Micah" feature.

It's hard to take you serious when you post things like wanting people to stop saying great things about the M8. You undermined your whole post from there on out.

I have to say some of Micah's points were valid once you get past the initial disclaimer.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I would agree that most android users don't customize their phones like those that post on forums, but I don't think the dislike towards android/Google is that bad. Most people seem fairly satisfied with their phones, or at least the people I know.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have to say some of Micah's points were valid once you get past the initial disclaimer.
The disclaimer didn't need to be made to make valid points. The post stands alone without it, and especially without it being bolded. I think intentions were pretty clear on that one.

I would agree that most android users don't customize their phones like those that post on forums, but I don't think the dislike towards android/Google is that bad. Most people seem fairly satisfied with their phones, or at least the people I know.

The majority of Google hatred comes from two main camps:

The highly technical
The paranoid that believe everything they read

Those are not majority groups (nor does everyone from each group dislike them), so no, the dislike is not that bad, and marketshare of Android and popularity of Google is proof of it.

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Very true. You have to give these folks credit for their creative writing skills, or pity them for being so biased that they actually believe their own delusional rants.....lol

What I find interesting is that the next iteration of the One should be out in March of 2015..and the rumours for high end lumina are suggesting the same time frame. With the hardware that the m9 is going to have I wonder what the chances will be that HTC will license some of the Lumina software on the new camera that is supposed to be in it ? Talk about a Galaxy killer.

Micah wants WP to be more Apple like,well that's cool , but since the largest iPhone won't be out till then...they are becoming more like HTC already is and how Microsoft is going to be releasing their best in the spring. Smart move really since that is income tax return time...and all the other flagship phones are old news by then ,get the kiddies mid or low end phones for Christmas and Mom and Dad gets their own new flagship phone then after Christmas is paid for not to mention giving all the tech sites something to write about all spring and summer to write about.

How's that for marketing.....yessirree it's going to get very interesting I do believe .

We will see how HTC handles the firmware updates to this phone especially with the Denim implementation. If they get on it quickly and push it out fast then while this phone won't take the Galaxy's place or the Lumina's title but will certainly be the One to usher in a new era for WP..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I never said people should stop saying great things about the M8. Praise it all you want.
I said i wish people would stop acting l like the M8 is a game changer.

At the end of the day it is a Windows Phone.
Nobody cares that it has an SD card slot, IR blaster or Front Facing Speakers that the Lumia lacks anymore than people care that it lacks a 20-41 megapixel camera(though now 830 even beats it and it is mid range lol) .

It's still a windows phone and no different really from any other windows phone and it is not going to be the phone that saves us or helps the platform majorly simply because as long as the stigma of Windows Phone lacking apps and features exist, the platform will suffer.

As I said above, it's not about wanting Lumia only devices.
I applaud Lumia for what they've done....

They Brought the World's first High Res Cameraphone in the Lumia 1020(and that 808 phone).
They Brought Windows Phone's first phablet in the 1520.

But i want a Surface type design now and I want phones that are made for Windows Phone. Unique Designs akin to 8x...Something unique and fresh.
Not just another Lumia(though i certainly have no problem with the Lumia line...it's what i support) and not android rehashes.

It has nothing to do with being selfish(that is BS). It's me as Windows Phone fan believing we deserve something besides gradual evolutions(Lumia) and Second hand rehashes(M8).

Please stop telling me what MY INTENTIONS are and what MY THOUGHTS are and Motivation are. You do not know me and if you can't have a conversation and a friendly debate without telling me what I, the person who feels said way, feels then you really have no need to speak to me unless you wanna defend your precious device.

If you pay close enough attention, I was critical above and now of Both Lumia and the M8 :)
At the end of the day, I support Lumia devices over all Windows phone...i refuse to buy anything else that is not Lumia presently. Because HTC has done nothing to deserve my money nor have they done much for this platform.
But....I can acknowledge and attractive device in the M8.

But as I said before the epicness of Lumia and the Lovely features of the M8 are not what is going to help this platform and as long as as Windows Phone lacks apps, M8 will never be the galaxy of anything.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why would an HTC phone get Denim?

It's made specifically for Lumia devices.....lol.

Also isn't Spring also the time when Samsung announces their Galaxy Devices. I seem to remember the Galaxy S5 being announced close to the time as the original M8.

And won't the larger iPhone becoming next week at their Apple announcement?
I seriously doubt you'll see anything pureview Licensed to HTC as it'll effectively lessen the superiority that Lumias have anymore then you'll see Beats in a Lumia device. Or Ultrapixel in a Lumia(Spits in disgust)

But i don't see why HTC can't eventually bring 4K to their M8......I have heard that the Video Quality IS better on the M8 than it is average shots for Camera.

And yes you're right...I want an Apple Approach.

Or at least an Android/Apple Hybrid.

High End Lumia with the best specs

High End Lumia with Phablet specs

Mid Range Lumia 830

and Low end Lumia 630

Release them all Globally....and i'd be happy :)

Very true. You have to give these folks credit for their creative writing skills, or pity them for being so biased that they actually believe their own delusional rants.....lol

What I find interesting is that the next iteration of the One should be out in March of 2015..and the rumours for high end lumina are suggesting the same time frame. With the hardware that the m9 is going to have I wonder what the chances will be that HTC will license some of the Lumina software on the new camera that is supposed to be in it ? Talk about a Galaxy killer.

Micah wants WP to be more Apple like,well that's cool , but since the largest iPhone won't be out till then...they are becoming more like HTC already is and how Microsoft is going to be releasing their best in the spring. Smart move really since that is income tax return time...and all the other flagship phones are old news by then ,get the kiddies mid or low end phones for Christmas and Mom and Dad gets their own new flagship phone then after Christmas is paid for not to mention giving all the tech sites something to write about all spring and summer to write about.

How's that for marketing.....yessirree it's going to get very interesting I do believe .

We will see how HTC handles the firmware updates to this phone especially with the Denim implementation. If they get on it quickly and push it out fast then while this phone won't take the Galaxy's place or the Lumina's title but will certainly be the One to usher in a new era for WP..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers