Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh i know. I just find humor in the fact that he feels the needs to dispute everything I say hehe.
Actually he was talking about ignoring you....lol

Sd cards,front facing speakers people don't want? You really need to rethink that because the majority of people do.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What I find interesting is that the next iteration of the One should be out in March of 2015..and the rumours for high end lumina are suggesting the same time frame. With the hardware that the m9 is going to have I wonder what the chances will be that HTC will license some of the Lumina software on the new camera that is supposed to be in it ? Talk about a Galaxy killer.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

If the next version of the M8 is released at that time if I use Edge and get the M8 now I'd be in a good spot to get the next version. Hmmm.....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually he was talking about ignoring you....lol

Sd cards,front facing speakers people don't want? You really need to rethink that because the majority of people do.

No sorry they don't.
I'll give you the speakrs things

But the average user does not CARE about an SD Card. Heck, the average user likely has no idea what an SD card is and does. Apple has been for years sellling a device WITHOUT an SD Card LONG before SD cards/Android became a thing and that goes to show millions of people don't care.

I am not saying SD cards are not popular but for the Average Joe, no...the first thing an average user looks for is not an SD card.

That is something that matters to tech enthusiasts more so than Random guy who wants a good smartphone.

As I said I can give you front facing speakers but in this day and age, with the Instagram/Selfie craze, people also want a great camera as well. I have had my android fans hating on me for the fact my phone is better than theirs XD M

But an SD card is not something the MAJORITY of people are wanting. I've worked Retail and I know exactly the type of stuff people generally ask for and an SD card slot is not the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd thing out of their mouth.

1. Is it Fast?
2. Does have a Good Camera?
3. Does it have a lot of Apps.

An SD card slot on the M8 or lacking on Icon....is ONLY a big deal to Tech enthusiast aka the people who whined about the Icon Lacking it and praising the M8 for having it :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
No sorry they don't.

But the average user does not CARE about an SD Card. Heck, the average user likely has no idea what an SD card is and does. Apple has been for years sellling a device WITHOUT an SD Card LONG before SD cards/Android became a thing and that goes to show millions of people don't care.

I am not saying SD cards are not popular but for the Average Joe, no...the first thing an average user looks for is not an SD card.

That is something that matters to tech enthusiasts more so than Random guy who wants a good smartphone.

As I said I can give you front facing speakers but in this day and age, with the Instagram/Selfie craze, people also want a great camera as well. I have had my android fans hating on me for the fact my phone is better than theirs XD M

But an SD card is not something the MAJORITY of people are wanting. I've worked Retail and I know exactly the type of stuff people generally ask for and an SD card slot is not the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd thing out of their mouth.

1. Is it Fast?

An SD card slot on the M8 or lacking on Icon....is ONLY a big deal to Tech enthusiast aka the people who whined about the Icon Lacking it and praising the M8 for having it :)

Everyone I know, including the non-technical ones, likes having an sd card option, and the ones who don't have it wish they did. Where are you collecting your stats about what most people want?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Everyone I know, including the non-technical ones, likes having an sd card option, and the ones who don't have it wish they did. Where are you collecting your stats about what most people want?

1. The fact I worked retail selling phones
2. The fact i tend to also have a lot of non-tech people i associate with/that are getting their first smartphones or just dont care really
3. The fact Apple, who a lot of people to tend to label as the Innovative one(whether it is true or not), sells a product WITHOUT SD card support and if i am not mistaken, Apple's lower memory devices are usually the ones that sell the most anyway.

YMMV but i do have first hand experience with quite a many customers. I am not saying SD card support is not important(personally i don't care. I'd prefer a Phone with at least 32 GB...i had to make do with my 1520 and now with 8.1 I do use SD card. Personally i find SD cards annoying and they get corrupted quite a bit for me) but i am saying it is not one of the things that the average joe goes into a store looking for.

And usually when someone brags about their phone, they don't usually mention anything about a SD card support. They talk about the features of the device(Example: me with my Lumia camera) which is also why I said it is not as important to the MAJORITY as people claim.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
1. The fact I worked retail selling phones
2. The fact i tend to also have a lot of non-tech people i associate with/that are getting their first smartphones or just dont care really
3. The fact Apple, who a lot of people to tend to label as the Innovative one(whether it is true or not), sells a product WITHOUT SD card support and if i am not mistaken, Apple's lower memory devices are usually the ones that sell the most anyway.

YMMV but i do have first hand experience with quite a many customers. I am not saying SD card support is not important(personally i don't care. I'd prefer a Phone with at least 32 GB...i had to make do with my 1520 and now with 8.1 I do use SD card. Personally i find SD cards annoying and they get corrupted quite a bit for me) but i am saying it is not one of the things that the average joe goes into a store looking for.

And usually when someone brags about their phone, they don't usually mention anything about a SD card support. They talk about the features of the device(Example: me with my Lumia camera) which is also why I said it is not as important to the MAJORITY as people claim.

Anecdotal statistics.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No sorry they don't.

1. Is it Fast?

Are you really serious?

This is 2014 not 2004...so just because you are behind times sure as hello..and just because you don't need it doesn't mean everyone else is..heck my 90 year old mother won't have a cell phone without having one or a large amount of internal memory.

Sd cards removes the need for huge amounts of internal memory....which many people want and need.... Wait till you go buy your iPhone with 128 gigs of storage space...then you will see why sd cards are so frigging important..

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
98% of it was made up in his mind.

People hate Android!, carriers hate Android!, satisfaction rate below 30%!..lol. This was the ultimate "I hate Google" rant, and every single bullet point he made was wrong. Awesome post though, I love the enthusiasm.

Yeah, I just pull it out of my rear end. I don't manage business or have access to data with my work - oh wait, I do.

As I stated, people do not have loyalty to Android, they have loyalty to brands. If they had loyalty to Android, Nexus products would sell well. They don't. There's a reason Google doesn't tout Nexus sales. Yes, someone else makes the devices, but if that pure Android experience were a big seller, they would crow. They don't for a reason. Nexus sales are a blip. LG sold far more G2s than Nexus 5s. People are loyal or like the Samsung experience, the LG experience, the HTC experience, etc. Notice how that pure Motorola experience wasn't that big of a story?

For most people, the OS is just the UI they deal with. Geeks love the nuts and bolts, average users don't. Unfortunately for Android, average users often have to do more than they'd like. They have to manage which apps are open. They have to go digging deeply to remove a program. This is where both iOS and Windows Phone are superior, the user experience. In my experience, new Android users require a lot of hours of work just like many PC users do and did. That has been the same on the iPhone in the past too with centralized settings instead of linked settings from an application (such as email).

If you ask someone if they like their Galaxy S3 or S4 or whatever, they will respond positively. Ask them if they like the Android OS running on it and the sample dips because they begin thinking nuts and bolts. They begin thinking about having to actively close apps to save battery, etc. The survey data is clear. People like the brand, hate the OS. That's happened with Windows and still does. Windows 7 scored very highly across the board. Windows 8, not so much. 8.1 scores a bit better - though you always have to break Windows down by user category under 8.

Carriers do not like Android much but they also feel stuck with it. It was initially adopted to give competition to the iPhone, but the expenses have grown. Carriers bear the full burden of testing and deployment generally. Same for OEMs on the equipment. The cost is higher than just patent fees and Google access. Companies like Samsung don't give a lick because they have the capital and push volume. Smaller companies care and carriers care, but they don't have a viable third option to push in the US quite yet. Windows Phone is the closest, but there are smaller gaps in apps and larger gaps in perception. Verizon specifically wanted the One M8 as a piece in the perception battle. I know VZW people that are in management and they would love to see Android reduced because that means their cost is reduced. Microsoft works with them and provides support in deployment and testing. If they have an issue, they can call MS and get someone working with them to resolve it. Often in Android, they have to devise a solution themselves, harass the OEM, or just let it slide if the handset isn't terribly popular. Verizon's Android support cost for a year is well north of a billion. Their iPhone support cost is under $100M and if they extrapolated their Windows Phone costs to scale, that cost would be similar to the iPhone one. When accounting for equal volume, the support for Android costs the carrier five times what iOS or Windows Phone would at equivalent scale.

At present the great hope is that the iPhone 6 launch causes an erosion for Android. Projections indicate the larger screens are likely to cause a substantial increase in sales. The shame is that if Microsoft had played their cards right early by making the OS license fee free, it would have been a two front war against Android. But attacks are still possible in the future. The one to watch is Samsung. There's buzz that they are working at creating their own store for Android and have contacted Microsoft to supply location services and search services if they decide to leave the Google ecosystem. That's why Google has been working to try to placate Samsung. Tizen is a non-starter, but they are looking at options.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you really serious?

This is 2014 not 2004...so just because you are behind times sure as hello..and just because you don't need it doesn't mean everyone else is..heck my 90 year old mother won't have a cell phone without having one or a large amount of internal memory.

Sd cards removes the need for huge amounts of internal memory....which many people want and need.... Wait till you go buy your iPhone with 128 gigs of storage space...then you will see why sd cards are so frigging important..

Pretty sure I never said SD cards were not important. I said for me they do not matter. I am not someone who feels the need to keep a bunch of photos and movies on my phone ALL the time that I am not using :)

Would i take a phone with a crazy amount of memory? Of course. I use a Lumia...the phone's camera does take large pictures :p But i am fine with 32 GB and up until my 1520, I never really needed a SD card.

You're right, it is not 2004 anymore. For better or worse, in spite of the SD cloud, everyone is moving towards a cloud centric management system. Onedrive, iCloud, dropbox, etc etc aka a more modern thing.

Backing up their photos to flicker or similar products.

Streaming their music through Xbox Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc etc

So you're right, it is not 2004. People are evolving passed SD card. It's always fun when my tech illiterate Mom or even my Grandparents asked me, "Are we in the cloud?" :D

Again I never said SD cards are not important...To me they are highly irrelevant provided i have enough internal memory.
I said based on my experience and also based off the Fact that millions and millions of iPhones are sold without one.

It is not the STANDARD and it is usually not the dealbreaker of Average Joe Shoppers.
Again your mileage may very. Oh well :)

I am speaking from past experience of working with MANY customers with phone devices as well as people in my day to day life :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just pull it out of my rear end. I don't manage business or have access to data with my work - oh wait, I do.

As I stated, people do not have loyalty to Android, they have loyalty to brands. If they had loyalty to Android, Nexus products would sell well. They don't. There's a reason Google doesn't tout Nexus sales. Yes, someone else makes the devices, but if that pure Android experience were a big seller, they would crow. They don't for a reason. Nexus sales are a blip. LG sold far more G2s than Nexus 5s. People are loyal or like the Samsung experience, the LG experience, the HTC experience, etc. Notice how that pure Motorola experience wasn't that big of a story?

For most people, the OS is just the UI they deal with. Geeks love the nuts and bolts, average users don't. Unfortunately for Android, average users often have to do more than they'd like. They have to manage which apps are open. They have to go digging deeply to remove a program. This is where both iOS and Windows Phone are superior, the user experience. In my experience, new Android users require a lot of hours of work just like many PC users do and did. That has been the same on the iPhone in the past too with centralized settings instead of linked settings from an application (such as email).

If you ask someone if they like their Galaxy S3 or S4 or whatever, they will respond positively. Ask them if they like the Android OS running on it and the sample dips because they begin thinking nuts and bolts. They begin thinking about having to actively close apps to save battery, etc. The survey data is clear. People like the brand, hate the OS. That's happened with Windows and still does. Windows 7 scored very highly across the board. Windows 8, not so much. 8.1 scores a bit better - though you always have to break Windows down by user category under 8.

Carriers do not like Android much but they also feel stuck with it. It was initially adopted to give competition to the iPhone, but the expenses have grown. Carriers bear the full burden of testing and deployment generally. Same for OEMs on the equipment. The cost is higher than just patent fees and Google access. Companies like Samsung don't give a lick because they have the capital and push volume. Smaller companies care and carriers care, but they don't have a viable third option to push in the US quite yet. Windows Phone is the closest, but there are smaller gaps in apps and larger gaps in perception. Verizon specifically wanted the One M8 as a piece in the perception battle. I know VZW people that are in management and they would love to see Android reduced because that means their cost is reduced. Microsoft works with them and provides support in deployment and testing. If they have an issue, they can call MS and get someone working with them to resolve it. Often in Android, they have to devise a solution themselves, harass the OEM, or just let it slide if the handset isn't terribly popular. Verizon's Android support cost for a year is well north of a billion. Their iPhone support cost is under $100M and if they extrapolated their Windows Phone costs to scale, that cost would be similar to the iPhone one. When accounting for equal volume, the support for Android costs the carrier five times what iOS or Windows Phone would at equivalent scale.

At present the great hope is that the iPhone 6 launch causes an erosion for Android. Projections indicate the larger screens are likely to cause a substantial increase in sales. The shame is that if Microsoft had played their cards right early by making the OS license fee free, it would have been a two front war against Android. But attacks are still possible in the future. The one to watch is Samsung. There's buzz that they are working at creating their own store for Android and have contacted Microsoft to supply location services and search services if they decide to leave the Google ecosystem. That's why Google has been working to try to placate Samsung. Tizen is a non-starter, but they are looking at options.

I can agree with a lot of this. Managing apps is a thing of the past, but the rest sounds fine to me. The big problem is that even though Verizon management is excited about Windows phone that doesn't necessarily translate into sales reps pushing them. I hope the M8 does well and others like LG and Samsung take notice and start making nice Windows phones.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In regards to SD cards, even though the cloud is more important than ever, more manufacturers are going back to SD cards. Both LG and HTC added SD cards to their flagships in 2014 that didn't have them in 2013. Out of the main flagship phones released in the US this year only the iPhone won't have an SD card slot. I haven't kept up with the Moto X successor so I don't know what it's rumored to have.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I apologize to the op for allowing myself to get into another argument with a real hater..it's extremely difficult not to..and I know full well that is exactly why he posts such pure bs every chance he can

It's a real shame that the moderators allow such nonsense to take place..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I apologize to the op for allowing myself to get into another argument with a real hater..it's extremely difficult not to..and I know full well that is exactly why he posts such pure bs every chance he can

It's a real shame that the moderators allow such nonsense to take place..

Yes i am such a hater. I am having a debate and I am not even really Bashing the phone. Even though beforehand I was criticizing the M8 not trolling, I could understand why you and your other friend were getting so bothered. You like your phone.

We're talking about SD cards now and you're getting upset because I said, From my experience, an SD card is irrelevant to me and most average joes i come across :)

Me thinks you should chill out a bit. At the end of the day, We're Windows Phone Fans. I love Lumia and SUpport Lumia/Nokia becuase they earned it. You obviously are liking your M8.

Stop taking EVERYTHING I say as an attack. I'm Critical, I am not trolling :) If HTC can help the platform then good. I suppose it can also indirectly help Lumia. Do I think we need HTC? Nope. We didn't need them the last 2 years and I don't like these Android Rehash crap we're getting.

But at the end of the day, we're both WP users so if you can't stop getting so sensitive that someone criticizes your device, then perhaps you need to refocus your priorities on why you are getting so bent out of shape of a random 19 year old. I like Friendly Debates...But honestly this is getting kind of sad now. People prefer you to be segregated to your sections if you criticize a device.....or people feel the need to call you wrong for wanting a more uniformed approach with Windows Phone(I do not care for multiple OEMs releasing devices because look at the mess Android is) you're selfish and not considerate.

It's really sad and amusing at the same time.

In regards to SD cards, even though the cloud is more important than ever, more manufacturers are going back to SD cards. Both LG and HTC added SD cards to their flagships in 2014 that didn't have them in 2013. Out of the main flagship phones released in the US this year only the iPhone won't have an SD card slot. I haven't kept up with the Moto X successor so I don't know what it's rumored to have.

Yeah they are, that is true. But I said that because people are making it sound like if a phone does NOT have an SD card it is a fail. Which is the overall point i was trying to make. Unfortunately, intelligent discussions can not be had with people to discuss the merit/features without falling into personal attacks and being labeled as a"Haters" or "jealous" :D

Case in point, I brought my Grandpa a lumia 635. He loves the device. He had been using an OLD HTC Amaze(that was one of HTC's best camera phones for Android) that my dad gave him. He knows apps and smartphones pretty well.

He did mention his SD card and I said "Papa, all you need to do is backup the photos to one drive and your PC. That way when you are not home, you can easily transfer files to and from your computer."

He said "Really? I can do that."

I nodded.
He said that is pretty cool. He was under the impression he NEEDED the SD card and to carry EVERY little thing around with him all the time.

I think SD cards serve a purpose...GOing on long trips and needing to watch movies(though to be real that is what my Surface is for). Moving apps to your SD card but then again, if most people are like me, I have plenty of apps/games I never play or haven't played in like a year taking up space.

I don't think a lack of a SD card is a deal breaker PROVIDED the Internal Storage is sufficient enough. Nor do I think it is something MOST users actually care about especially since nowadays they no longer actually give you an SD card. Beforehand on some phones, they had one already installed. Nowadays people have to go out and buy it and we know how cheap people can be lol.

It's like people who say a phone lacking a Removable battery is a fail. No Average Joe cares about being able to swap out their battery. I laugh at people who go on and on about that because features like that(and the SD card) are not stuff average joes care about. My mother is a prime example...She doesnt care about a Removable battery. She brought one of those portable charger things.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think an SD card is a deal breaker either, but they can be a selling point between two similar phones. It's somewhat ironic that more cloud storage options are available now than ever before but there are more data restrictions than ever.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt you'll see anything pureview Licensed to HTC as it'll effectively lessen the superiority that Lumias have anymore then you'll see Beats in a Lumia device. Or Ultrapixel in a Lumia(Spits in disgust)

The problem is that Microsoft has no control over the PureView tech. They just bought the brand. The technology behind the name "PureView" belongs to Nokia. And Nokia will license it to HTC as long and IF they get a licensing request from HTC. And Microsoft will be able to do nothing about it.

Lumias however can only get Beats audio IF Apple licenses it. And we know the chances of that happenig...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that Microsoft has no control over the PureView tech. They just bought the brand. The technology behind the name "PureView" belongs to Nokia. And Nokia will license it to HTC as long and IF they get a licensing request from HTC. And Microsoft will be able to do nothing about it.

Lumias however can only get Beats audio IF Apple licenses it. And we know the chances of that happenig...

Well hopefully Nokia won't be that stupid. I can understand licensing Here Maps to the other OEMs(even if I do not like it) but Pureview has been synonymous with Lumia and that 808 phone(I think).

Hopefully Nokia is not stupid enough to do something like that.....or Microsoft is smart enough to see that that is not a good thing and offers the right price for it. That would probably be the day I no longer support Nokia and drop Windows Phone entirely to be honest :p

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No Micah your a hater and what you post shows it is true.

I don't need to argue real facts from your delusions...because that is entirely the case here,like to your reference to being a troll....or your delusions of the sd cards outside of your fantasy world solely based on your usage of your phone.

Nope..nor will I engage you in any type of debate just SO You can continue to derail another HTC m8 thread, since that is precisely your goals..see you really don't want this phone to succeed,and have proven that over and over,all in the disguise of stating your opinion. The only reason I can figure out is that the moderators here are also Android haters and they too feel as you do about it..otherwise they would have shut you down long ago..and it's strange because I thought this site had rules against doing this very thing...

We are done..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think an SD card is a deal breaker either, but they can be a selling point between two similar phones. It's somewhat ironic that more cloud storage options are available now than ever before but there are more data restrictions than ever.

Ha that's true. Though I usually actually steal my friend's data since he has T-mobile.
I am trying to get my mom to switch to T-mobile since I am going to be transferring to Stanford in Cali so i can get unlimited data BUT she refuses to since T-mo doesn't have the best coverage back home where we live.

(I'm like LOOK LADY, I PAY THE BILL XD....lol) But yeah the irony is not lost on me :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb