Could the M8 become WP version of the Galaxy?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
IOS won't be going anywhere, anytime soon, nor will Android. I can see WP going away as we know it though, especially if Microsoft doesn't start make some fundamental changes in the os.

I know that doesn't sit well with you or any other hater of the other platforms, but minute increases of market share is not enough to sustain the platform.

Apple has realized this fact, and has started changing the way it does things allowing the user choice while keeping the os secure. Microsoft doesn't have a choice but to follow a suitable path if it wants to see it's sales grow exponentially.

I know that you and others will argue that this isn't necessary, but 85% of the world says that it is.

It won't matter how many apps that the store has, if the functionality of the most wanted apps aren't there so a good user experience isn't there.

I truly like WP and want to see it flourish but forcing developers to utilize the IE and Xbox engine, as well as keeping the rest locked down is not going to convince people to invest in it as much as the other platforms.

When small things bug people enough over time, they start looking for a replacement phone. Companies have to go outside of their normal control groups to see what people think and want. Apple did this, and also listened to its customers.. and the changes are coming. Watch how many units are sold as a result of this.

Microsoft did a great thing getting this phone onto the platform, but it alone is not enough to make a great difference.

I fully understand that many people hate to see Microsoft change and become more Android or Apple like, but the sad reality of this is that is exactly what the vast majority of people want.....

Ask yourself this.... How hard would it be for Microsoft to allow different browser and music and video player engines extentions to function properly and still keep it sandboxed and the same for the ui.... A simple little bit of freedom of choice for the customer can pay back huge dividends.

Purest will hate it of course, that is to be expected, but as long as it allows you to choose and still keep it as you like it, to criticize the changes and do something childish like leaving the platform is counter productive to the platform as I have seen some here post.

I look forward to seeing some changes take place as long as they at least have the forethought to leave the descion to the customer on utilizing it.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

- I don't hate other platforms. I'm actually moving to Android by the end of this year, so I'm most definitely not one of those "WP only". I do hate iOS but I hate Apple in general, I know my opinions about them are completely biased and I am the first one to admit that. =P

But believe me, here at WPCentral, you directed your speech at the LAST person which would be within that depiction of WP-fan. lol
I've been harshly criticizing Microsoft's shortcomings for years when it comes to Windows Phone (to the dismay of a couple of people around here who hate to read criticism towards Microsoft) and for one I'm among those who WANTS Windows Phone be more like Android.
I would like Microsoft to remember what they have with Windows. Android is nothing more than Windows on a phone. The philosophy is the same, the freedom is the same. The fact that Microsoft locked everything up is one of the reasons I was so disappointed with WP. And I'm not at all happy, for example, with their latest decision of trying to shove Bing down the throats of everyone they can by making it the only search engine on IE.

I am among those who actually agree with everything you wrote =P

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No, MDMcAtee, YOU are the one who needs to do research.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-appl...-have-evolved-in-the-21st-century-7000032953/

TL;DR while Microsoft and Apple have diversified their portfolio, Google is, and will in the foreseeable future, continue to be a one-trick pony.

Really... You might want to research this a little further... Google has bought over 21 companies this year that isn't about phone revenue..

While no doubt that the Lions share of money comes from ad revenue, looking at all they own now and what they are moving into says that they aren't a one trick pony any longer. http://www.businessinsider.com/google-acquisitions-2014-1

Also they have bought over 160 companies according to Wikipedia..

So.. No... I'm not wrong at all.... but with the Nest aquasition I sure bet Apple wished they were....

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Really... You might want to research this a little further... Google has bought over 21 companies this year that isn't about phone revenue..

While no doubt that the Lions share of money comes from ad revenue, looking at all they own now and what they are moving into says that they aren't a one trick pony any longer. http://www.businessinsider.com/google-acquisitions-2014-1

Also they have bought over 160 companies according to Wikipedia..

So.. No... I'm not wrong at all.... but with the Nest aquasition I sure bet Apple wished they were....

Pardon my ignorance here but what in the hell does that have to do with what I said? I don't care if Google bought 5,000 companies. All of their acquisitions hasn't helped their dire dependence on ads. I mean, ok, fine, their total revenue from ads has gone from 97% to 93%, but that doesn't make Google = ads any less true. Google may have acquired 160 companies, but how many of them generate any sort of meaningful profit for the company? The answer is pretty much none.

So yes, for the foreseeable future, Google is a one-trick pony. Being a "one-trick pony" doesn't mean that they literally do one thing, it means that their profit only comes from pretty much one place, which it does, so they are.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
- I don't hate other platforms. I'm actually moving to Android by the end of this year, so I'm most definitely not one of those "WP only". I do hate iOS but I hate Apple in general, I know my opinions about them are completely biased and I am the first one to admit that. =P

But believe me, here at WPCentral, you directed your speech at the LAST person which would be within that depiction of WP-fan. lol
I've been harshly criticizing Microsoft's shortcomings for years when it comes to Windows Phone (to the dismay of a couple of people around here who hate to read criticism towards Microsoft) and for one I'm among those who WANTS Windows Phone be more like Android.
I would like Microsoft to remember what they have with Windows. Android is nothing more than Windows on a phone. The philosophy is the same, the freedom is the same. The fact that Microsoft locked everything up is one of the reasons I was so disappointed with WP. And I'm not at all happy, for example, with their latest decision of trying to shove Bing down the throats of everyone they can by making it the only search engine on IE.

Holy cow..

My apologies for my short sitedness. I do wish the phone apps for this site catch up to the desktop view soon.. It's very hard to distinguish between things here.

I have been critical of all of the platforms and have been scolded several times about it too, but have always tried to give credit where credit was due as well.

The issue I have with the fanatics of any platform is dealing with the misinformation that gets reguritated as facts, especially when it is so easy to show the truth about it. Just like the truth about the camera on this phone.

Hopefully this phone will enable the other oems to start considering other flagship phones to WP.... It really needs it

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance here but what in the hell does that have to do with what I said? I don't care if Google bought 5,000 companies. All of their acquisitions hasn't helped their dire dependence on ads. I mean, ok, fine, their total revenue from ads has gone from 97% to 93%, but that doesn't make Google = ads any less true. Google may have acquired 160 companies, but how many of them generate any sort of meaningful profit for the company? The answer is pretty much none.

So yes, for the foreseeable future, Google is a one-trick pony. Being a "one-trick pony" doesn't mean that they literally do one thing, it means that their profit only comes from pretty much one place, which it does, so they are.

No.. If their revenue comes from more than one source, which it does, then they are not a one trick pony. Like I said the lions share does come from it... but at least try to be accurate in describing the company.

Here... Go see exactly how much they made from other sources
http://investor.google.com/earnings/2013/Q4_google_earnings.html

How many millions does it take for you to consider it meaningful?

I wished I made that much $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No.. If their revenue comes from more than one source, which it does, then they are not a one trick pony. Like I said the lions share does come from it... but at least try to be accurate in describing the company.

Here... Go see exactly how much they made from other sources
http://investor.google.com/earnings/2013/Q4_google_earnings.html
I wished I made that much $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Maybe I'm not explaining my point the right way. Let me put it another way.

If you were to come up to me and ask me "If Microsoft ends up having to give Windows away to consumers due to pressure from Google's free to license ChromeOS, how will they stay profitable?" then I would answer something like "Azure, enterprise, etc...".

Now if, in turn, I came up to you and asked "if Google's ad revenue starts to take a serious hit due to obvious trends of per ad revenue sinking like a rock, and Google, like many other sites who try to operate solely on ads, finds the ad business only a tiny fraction as profitable as it once was, how will they stay profitable?", what would you say? Keep in mind that profit and revenue are two different things. Ok, go!

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Who cares? One of the most valuable companies in the world is a one trick pony.

Does that make them anything less? Nope.

By the way, your Windows analogy sucked. That's not where MS makes the bulk of their revenue.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Who cares? One of the most valuable companies in the world is a one trick pony.

Does that make them anything less? Nope.

And what happens when that one business is threatened? The whole thing comes crumbling down.

By the way, your Windows analogy sucked. That's not where MS makes the bulk of their revenue.

Actually, the fact that Microsoft doesn't get the bulk of it's revenue was my entire point lol. It proves that they're NOT a one-trick pony and can continue their business if one of their most profitable parts goes down.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyways...... Back on topic.

Op, I think that this phone is too close to the M9 to become the "Galaxy". If the M9 comes to all carriers and the Lumia 940 doesn't, the yes, it could.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Op, I think that this phone is too close to the M9 to become the "Galaxy". If the M9 comes to all carriers and the Lumia 940 doesn't, the yes, it could.

For that to happen that implies
1. Windows Phones themselves are going to become way more popular than they are now...and I mean an OS you hear everyone talking about and recommending

2. That then implies that the Majority of the current userbase(lumia) will then suddenly migrate over to a Non-lumia device. Given how most of us are dedicated and support Nokia/Lumia/Microsoft Mobile, I SERIOUSLY don't see that happening.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact. You have lumia loyalist, such as myself, and HTC is going to have actually convince us as well as New Customers to the platform, that they are worth an investment and even if M8 goes to multiple carriers, I can't see it making a HUGE difference really. No hate, No disrespect, I just don't because the majority of the windows phone fans are loyal to Lumia...most people are waiting for a "better" Icon or a 1020 replacement or the 1525 and those are the devices they want. I am one of them.

(I am basing this off the Articles on WPC)
So Htc has to somehow prove to be a better alternative to Lumia....and despite a minority raving about it(Yes it is a great phone), they still have a long ways to go before they can be considered the galaxy of anything.

Let HTC be HTC. They do not need to be the Galaxy or Lumia. They need to be competent, properly support and market the device and reliable and FIX their reputation that they have presently.

Because as it stands, the M8 is more a phone for those who complain about the Icon/930 or 1520 or the Anti-Lumia crowd(I notice many people hate the Lumia Brand nowadays simply because they are tired of Lumia being the most popular lol)and not something game changing where we can say it is industry leading(it has a few features Lumia lack but it is not a game changing WP device as much as people want to make it out to be and aside from its excellent battery life, as I said before, it's still a typical windows phone just with a few perks. Same with Lumia and it's cameras).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
IOS won't be going anywhere, anytime soon, nor will Android. I can see WP going away as we know it though, especially if Microsoft doesn't start make some fundamental changes in the os.

I know that doesn't sit well with you or any other hater of the other platforms, but minute increases of market share is not enough to sustain the platform.

Apple has realized this fact, and has started changing the way it does things allowing the user choice while keeping the os secure. Microsoft doesn't have a choice but to follow a suitable path if it wants to see it's sales grow exponentially.

I know that you and others will argue that this isn't necessary, but 85% of the world says that it is.

It won't matter how many apps that the store has, if the functionality of the most wanted apps aren't there so a good user experience isn't there.

I truly like WP and want to see it flourish but forcing developers to utilize the IE and Xbox engine, as well as keeping the rest locked down is not going to convince people to invest in it as much as the other platforms.

When small things bug people enough over time, they start looking for a replacement phone. Companies have to go outside of their normal control groups to see what people think and want. Apple did this, and also listened to its customers.. and the changes are coming. Watch how many units are sold as a result of this.

Microsoft did a great thing getting this phone onto the platform, but it alone is not enough to make a great difference.

I fully understand that many people hate to see Microsoft change and become more Android or Apple like, but the sad reality of this is that is exactly what the vast majority of people want.....

Ask yourself this.... How hard would it be for Microsoft to allow different browser and music and video player engines extentions to function properly and still keep it sandboxed and the same for the ui.... A simple little bit of freedom of choice for the customer can pay back huge dividends.

Purest will hate it of course, that is to be expected, but as long as it allows you to choose and still keep it as you like it, to criticize the changes and do something childish like leaving the platform is counter productive to the platform as I have seen some here post.

I look forward to seeing some changes take place as long as they at least have the forethought to leave the descion to the customer on utilizing it.

I am not leaving the Platform because I don't get my way. If I leave, it's because Apple commits to what I want. I want a Company who actually believes in their product and has the balls to push forward and go on and try something new even if it is not the popular idea and mentality. Several times Microsoft has had some good ideas(and not just WP related but Windows 8 related, Xbox related) and instead of being confident and properly marketing and explaining, they instead let bad press drown any potential positives and then it becomes universally panned.

(Windows 8 could've been handled MUCH better if Microsoft themselves actually presented the OS and the new UI much better than just throwing it out there like they did and expecting people to adapt as well as bring 8.1 features into 8 to begin with.)

I don't mind a Different Browser. I am used to IE but I am open to other Browsers. I don't mind a new Music/Video player engine.

What I do mind is the fact that those of u s who came tot his platform for what it offered in 7 and 8 are now slowly losing that in 8.1 because they are trying to be like someone else instead of just being unique.

I am a Purist yes. I am against Android apps coming to WP. I want dedicated apps, even if they are ports, i don't want to be running dual OS and I don't want anything related to google on my phone.

It's why I prefer Unique designs or at least lesser known designs, instead of getting the M8 months later(when it feels like an afterthought).
I am open to a Microsoft with Apple Mentality, I am against a Microsoft with a Google Mentality.

For the average consumer, it is not the fact they have more "Freedom" on Android. Most of my android friends that left IOS for Android left because

1. The iPhone's design is boring
2. They wanted a bigger screen

Not the lack of freedom(considering those who really want said freedom, usually jailbreak anyway lol) but because they simple got bored with the iPhone and these are the same people who will be going BACK to iPhone due to its larger size. Everyday users don't care about the OS being open/free like Android.

I don't hate other platforms either, I just dislike Google....I love IOS's ideology. I am trying to adjust to a life without tiles but i am so used to my tiles that it feels weird to consider using Static Icons on IOS(or if i was dumb enough to go back, Android).

I do not want Windows Phone to be like Android. Android is a mess that google is trying to reign control back into.

I am not here for the M8. I am not here for the Ativ or any of those WP OEM as I deem them to be lessers and irrelevant.

However, what I love about Windows Phone is simple. It doesn't matter what Phone I get, I get the same features and OS. No unnecessary customization. No Oem butchering and bloatware BS(I dont want to DISABLE like on android, i want to uninstall completely like WP/IOS).

People say they want the hardware and be able to choose the OS.

I've chosen my OS(Windows Phone).

I want to choose between an Exceptional Camera or a Great Camera and Phablet(1020 or 1520 or Icon/930).

OR
If i want Music Centric and SD card support but a Subpar Camera(M8)

Or
An All Around Device...Jack of All trades(I just realized that is what Samsung's are): Ativ.

Give me a better OS with Industry leading Features instead of playing catch up with half-baked features(Notification Center).
As i said before, take an Apple Approach with the OS

While doing the Android thing and whoring yourself out with tons of devices, even if it means we get 2nd hand rehashes like M8 and other devices, and be WINDOWS PHONE. Remember who you were in 7 and 8(and even to a much lesser extent, Kin). As i said in another thread, it's strange how Microsoft had some game changing features with Microsoft Kin(the Kin studio and the Spot) and some creative aspects to the OS like Hubs only to butcher them and become a copycat basically and then on top of that didn't even copy it properly, just threw it on the OS just to say "We have it too."

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
And what happens when that one business is threatened? The whole thing comes crumbling down.

Actually, the fact that Microsoft doesn't get the bulk of it's revenue was my entire point lol. It proves that they're NOT a one-trick pony and can continue their business if one of their most profitable parts goes down.

And yet, Apple thrives as a one trick pony.

It's not about having your eggs in many baskets. It's about having a golden egg. This idea of being a one trick pony as being bad is kinda funny. Especially when its ad revenue, when a winning strategy for any company is marketing and what are ads? Yup.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

With the variety of phones being released with the Lumia name it's going to be difficult for HTC to get the "Galaxy" title for Windows phone. I see a lot of Samsung's approach in the way Nokia/Microsoft is releasing phones. If Nokia can ever release a flagship phone on all carriers at the same time they might be able to take the title for good.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
With the variety of phones being released with the Lumia name it's going to be difficult for HTC to get the "Galaxy" title for Windows phone. I see a lot of Samsung's approach in the way Nokia/Microsoft is releasing phones. If Nokia can ever release a flagship phone on all carriers at the same time they might be able to take the title for good.

Variety is less important. When people think Galaxy, they think of two series: The S series and the Note series (mostly S). The outliers for lower end and such are not part of that image, even if they share the name.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Variety is less important. When people think Galaxy, they think of two series: The S series and the Note series (mostly S). The outliers for lower end and such are not part of that image, even if they share the name.
That's like saying that all of the variety in Android is less important and when people think Android, they think Galaxy S.

Fact is that while Samsung sell quite a many of their Galaxy S/Note series, their lower and mid range devices are still just as important as well.
Samsung didn't just get it's dominance solely with the S series or Note Series.

I agree with Scott, that I can definitely see Lumia/Nokia doing a lot of Samsung related things.
Samsung has a large variety of devices from the S Series(9xx line) and the Note Series(1520) and Galaxy Zoom(1020). Not to mention the other vast and cheap looking devices Samsung has released.

What Microsoft/Nokia NEED to do is release that killer Lumia. No compromises...If people whine about an SD card, let it have an SD card slot. Let it have that great camera as always with a FASTER time(of course i don't mind and as I said, i'd sacrifice speed for a much better camera). Give it the most recent processor so the ones whining about the major difference in 801 vs 800 can be happy. And give it a new design.

Let that be the flagship and release a Mini-version with the same exact specs in the 4.5 inch range for those who complain about anything higher than 4.5 inch and release them both to all carriers.

There is your galaxy of windows phone...Nokia Lumia already has the growing fanbase and dedicated fanbase(HTC does not have this fanbase) and all that is needed is the killer device. An all kill.

To Quote most windows phone fans, most want a Lumia with Killer Features and until then they will settle for M8 or others(Which is generally what i've read...I'll get the M8 for now and when a High end Lumia comes, I'll be back.)

But at least we have the 520/521 and now the 630/635 carrying the bulk of the weight for the time being, which no other OEM is doing and as good as the lower end phones may be they don't have the brand loyalty of Lumia.

Which is why M8 can't be the galaxy of WP...It does not have the brand loyalty currently. If anything, the M8 will hopefully help repair HTC's image/reputation in the WP community.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia certainly has the brand recognition, but exclusives are their downfall. What they should have on all carriers is the 1520 for the phablet class, Icon for the high end phone and the 630/635 for the low end. These moves would put the Lumia series in a spot where they probably couldn't be challenged in the WP world. As it is there is an opportunity for HTC, Samsung or another carrier to take the top spot. However it falls out should be interesting to watch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss