Switching to VZ tomorrow, Icon or M8?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just straight up tell me cause I can't decide. Go!

Icon duh :)
It's the best Overall smartphone...the M8 is nice as well but while there are some good stand-out features in the M8, the Icon is the better phone overall. Plus the Camera is fantastic :)

(though if i were you idk who you are with but i' dislike verizon lol....)
But yeah Icon most definitely over the M8.

I'd also recommend the Ativ SE over the M8. A lot of people are Bullish over HTC's support and while they may support the M8 well, they could also continue to not really fully support the device(they definitely dropped the ball with their previous devices).

A big plus is the Lumia comes from Nokia/Microsoft so it is definitely a larger priority not to mention the software enhancements that Lumia has that extends the OS even more that other Phones do not get. That Nokia Support is great :)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just had an upgrade with VZW and chose the Icon over the M8. Mostly because I love wireless charging and the camera (to me) is a lot better. Also I dont like on screen soft buttons. Id rather them be off the screen built in. Just personal preference. Plus HTC to me needs to prove they will support WP a lot.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why? I dismissed it early on in my research. Overpriced and austere compared to either the Icon or M8 imo.

I chose M8 for a few reasons. The camera quality is good enough for the little I'll use it and it is the latest and greates in all other respects imo. Wireless charging wasn't on my list of things to care about either.
At this point, i'd go for the SE and I dislike Samsung XD
itt has a lot of the same features as the One while coming from a slightly more reliable OEM.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Icon duh :)
It's the best Overall smartphone...the M8 is nice as well but while there are some good stand-out features in the M8, the Icon is the better phone overall. Plus the Camera is fantastic :)

(though if i were you idk who you are with but i' dislike verizon lol....)
But yeah Icon most definitely over the M8.

I'd also recommend the Ativ SE over the M8. A lot of people are Bullish over HTC's support and while they may support the M8 well, they could also continue to not really fully support the device(they definitely dropped the ball with their previous devices).

A big plus is the Lumia comes from Nokia/Microsoft so it is definitely a larger priority not to mention the software enhancements that Lumia has that extends the OS even more that other Phones do not get. That Nokia Support is great :)

Saying the Icon is the better overall phone is just an opinion. A more accurate statement would be the Icon is best for your needs. Both phones have strengths and weaknesses and hands on time in the store is the best way to decide which you prefer.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You know some folks keep harping about HTC reliability of supporting its devices as a legitimate reason to stay away from this phone,but if this was really a legit reason then so would saying that Microsoft itself was guilty of the same thing with its os from all those who bought a Windows7 phone or a 6.0 phones...but the truth is the hardware on this phone is top of the line and won't be left behind for the conceivable future..and HTC has been good on getting updates out and upgrading the phone with a promise of having it available within 90 days of release from the makers....so this isn't really a legit concern anymore..but some type of grudge against HTC....and they're well aware of this.

I would be more worried about the way Verizon's practices of delaying updates for their own devices than of HTC m8..especially now that they are putting many of their updates on the play store now...

I have the Android version of this phone and absolutely love it and know that the WP version will fly beautifully on it.

Personally I would much rather have a phone that excels as a phone,than as a camera with removable storage for my music collection and video games,not to mention offline maps storage space than to be limited to just the internal storage space...to me this is hamstringing it.

There's very good reasons this phone has been given great reviews even with the camera it has.....

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Having not used the M8 for WP yet and only the M8 for Android, I can only give you half an answer, but seeings how I like to pretend I know more then I do, I am all over it...

From what I can gather from your posts, camera performance is not remotely high on your lists. I understand this. For me, I have never changed a single setting except my flash. The only thing i care about is shutter speed, and I never figure that out until I have the thing in my hand. So, why waste your time?

Support: I can honestly say I have had nothing but disappointment and heartache from HTC in this area. I will spare you all my tales of woe, and just say be sure you love the performance of the M8 now. Do not buy it with hopes of improvements. Yes, Verizon is like every other carrier- spotty at best with approved updates. At worst, they hold things up and you will never get them. I do believe the Icon will get better support and more updates based on Nokia/MS past performance.

However, I also feel you just plain like the HTC better from your posts. It is a sexy phone, beyond excellent audio (something I will not comprimise on with my next purchase), and the screen tech is bright enough to burn your retinas. That is a good thing.

You will not go wrong or regret the Icon, which I would most likely choose. It has a vibrant screen, it handles all commands and tools/apps seamlessly, and there have been only very small complaints about it. It has been around long enough if it was going to give a huge set of problems we would know. But I think the HTC is a winner and the ONE series is HTC's best device line since the EVO series. The old 8X has recieved a ton of fan mail on these forums. Again, not a ton of support, but users like it.

I, along with a few others, think the ATIV SE is the most underated WP in the history of the OS. But you are not interested, so I saythat based on where you posted this if you like the performance of the M8, jump on in. If you have ANY doubts, grab the Icon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Saying the Icon is the better overall phone is just an opinion. A more accurate statement would be the Icon is best for your needs. Both phones have strengths and weaknesses and hands on time in the store is the best way to decide which you prefer.

It is an opinion yes but it also has fact with it.....You do not have to debate every opinion I make :)

Fact is that Nokia has proven to be more reliable with their Lumia line that HTC has with their WIndows Phones.....I don't blame just HTC. Verizon and Microsoft have their faults as well.

but I also look at what HTC has done(Aka nothing) over the last 4 years......I also look at the fact that while they do have great features, the phone is your basic windows phone. Yes it has great speakers, IR blaster, SD card support....But With Lumia and the AMber, Black, Cyan updates(not to mention at the time Nokia apps), the software has been extended to be a bit more than just the average windows Phone.

I am not here to debate YET again with M8 owners the same redundant argument. I get it you love your phone....The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Deal with it.
I'd recommend the Nokia Icon as the overall better Windows phone with the Ativ SE(god when did i start pushing Samsung) as a second up. AS said above, if there is any doubt about reliability or support with HTC(which is warranted look at their history with Windows Phone 7 and Windows phone 8), then Nokia at least has proven to be far more reliable.

Fact....No need to debate. Just accept my opinion is different from yours and keep it moving :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say it. You did.
Sarcasm :) I said that since people had such a problem with Non-HTC owners criticizing the device.

I think that would be a stupid rule and censoring users :p

ANYWAY moving along from you and your habit of quoting me to just debate for whatever reason.....

I went to my Local Verizon Store with the boyfriend to get some Accessories and what not, I was actually quite pleased to see some great displays for both the Icon and M8.

The sales guy saw me playing with the M8 and asked was I jumping ship.
I Of course replied back "For an M8? Of course not, don't be ridiculous. But possibly the new iPhone."

We're quite familiar since I used to go in their plenty when I got my 8x and later 928 and then my boyfriend's M8 that he returned for an icon.

I asked him how things were going with the M8. He said for the time being they do sell more Icons but a few people actually have been looking at the Android Version initially only to actually like the Look/Feel of the UI of the Windows Phone Version and have chosen it over the Android version. I t hought it was pretty cool to hear that the phone is actually being chosen over his fraternal twin.

Side-Note: The Poor Ativ SE was off in the corner by itself, lol. I really forgot all about it until i happened to actively look for it. Samsung really does need to bring a GREAT(not just Good) windows phone to the Platform as I do actually like the features(and even touchwiz) on their Android devices more so than the M8, i just hate Samsung hardware(cheap) and their sense of copying everyone it seems.

Apparently that phone is not doing to well and they don't actually carry the SE in store. But good to hear that the Icon(of course) and M8 are doing good saleswise(at least at my store).

mmmuffin

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I went in to Verizon last week to buy the M8, ended up leaving with the Icon because of its gorgeousness! Can't put it down! My husband did get the M8 and is overall happy with it so far.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I went in to Verizon last week to buy the M8, ended up leaving with the Icon because of its gorgeousness! Can't put it down! My husband did get the M8 and is overall happy with it so far.
It really is the best looking Lumia :) I am jealous of my boyfriend as he has what i think is presently the best looking wp device to date(icon) Glad u enjoy yours :)

Jason Stemm

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I can say this because I have actually had both phones. Though my m8 was the android version, I can tell you a few things.
1) build quality on both phones are amazing.
2) sound is good on m8, but not as loud as advertised.
3) HTC has a bad history with WP, I had the 8xt...it was cool at first, but turned out to be a waste of a device. Htc doesn't support WP like Nokia does and will.
4) the Nokia icon's screen is the best of any phone I have owned. Video looks amazing.
5) camera is all Nokia, m8 is not very good at all. Nokia has more features and editing tools that are relevant to everyday use.

Apps advantage goes to Nokia.

I was faced with the same issue as you, and I switched to Verizon to get the Lumia icon. I don't regret it.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
It really is the best looking Lumia :) I am jealous of my boyfriend as he has what i think is presently the best looking wp device to date(icon) Glad u enjoy yours :)

It really is a great looking device! I came so close to getting it too when it first came out. Now I'll wait to see what the 830 looks like.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It really is a great looking device! I came so close to getting it too when it first came out. Now I'll wait to see what the 830 looks like.

Idk if i can downgrade to the 830.....I do want a New Lumia(still annoyed we have to wait possibly to 2015 for a High End Lumia) from a 1520...But if it
1. Has a 5 inch screen similar to the Icon
2. 5 megapixel camera FF like the 730/M8

I just might :)

Right now it is looking like I may be getting the 830 or Iphone 6 so the next week or so is a busy time for me :D

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having not used the M8 for WP yet and only the M8 for Android, I can only give you half an answer, but seeings how I like to pretend I know more then I do, I am all over it...

From what I can gather from your posts, camera performance is not remotely high on your lists. I understand this. For me, I have never changed a single setting except my flash. The only thing i care about is shutter speed, and I never figure that out until I have the thing in my hand. So, why waste your time?

Support: I can honestly say I have had nothing but disappointment and heartache from HTC in this area. I will spare you all my tales of woe, and just say be sure you love the performance of the M8 now. Do not buy it with hopes of improvements. Yes, Verizon is like every other carrier- spotty at best with approved updates. At worst, they hold things up and you will never get them. I do believe the Icon will get better support and more updates based on Nokia/MS past performance.

However, I also feel you just plain like the HTC better from your posts. It is a sexy phone, beyond excellent audio (something I will not comprimise on with my next purchase), and the screen tech is bright enough to burn your retinas. That is a good thing.

You will not go wrong or regret the Icon, which I would most likely choose. It has a vibrant screen, it handles all commands and tools/apps seamlessly, and there have been only very small complaints about it. It has been around long enough if it was going to give a huge set of problems we would know. But I think the HTC is a winner and the ONE series is HTC's best device line since the EVO series. The old 8X has recieved a ton of fan mail on these forums. Again, not a ton of support, but users like it.

I, along with a few others, think the ATIV SE is the most underated WP in the history of the OS. But you are not interested, so I saythat based on where you posted this if you like the performance of the M8, jump on in. If you have ANY doubts, grab the Icon.
Ok, who are you and what have you done with 'Mutt?

Sent from my LG Intuition using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion