09-13-2014 01:21 PM
161 12345 ...
tools
    Thing with the internet and social media....youtube ect...ect ! Is everyone wants to be an expert! I think the best expect is YOU. you know what works,needs ....
    Adrynalyne and rdubmu like this.
    09-07-2014 05:15 PM
    I never give nor gave a damn about what a a tech writer says, has said, or will say about any product. Their opinions don't count, and they never influence my buying choices. I like WP for my own reasons and mine alone. Most of the time, they're biased to the particular OS or device they are using at the time. Compared to iOS and Android, WP is still lacking in a few places but are excelling in others.

Besides, why care about another persons' opinion when you're satisfied with your phone and OS? At this point, it's up to Microsoft to show what WP has.
    09-07-2014 06:16 PM
    I never give nor gave a damn about what a a tech writer says, has said, or will say about any product. Their opinions don't count, and they never influence my buying choices. I like WP for my own reasons and mine alone. Most of the time, they're biased to the particular OS or device they are using at the time. Compared to iOS and Android, WP is still lacking in a few places but are excelling in others.

Besides, why care about another persons' opinion when you're satisfied with your phone and OS? At this point, it's up to Microsoft to show what WP has.
    While I agree with you wholeheartedly, the real world doesn't work that way. There will be people basing their buying opinion on just this review alone. It's sad to say most can't be trusted and have their own personal bias in everything and these people will ultimately sway the masses.

The same happens in carrier stores, the amount of "horror" stories there is astonishing. These same "masses" will often be like, well, these are the experts they know what they're talking about... Reviewers need to be held to a higher level of scrutiny than the average Joe.
    09-07-2014 06:34 PM
    John rettinger from technobuffalo does a pretty fair job about it as well.
    Sent from my...
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 06:50 PM
    I will skip on the video. But the sentence "A phone for no one" (except a few i may add) has been told by someone else i know during a test we did on some devices in Taiwan, nothing official, just something homemade with friends who didn't know WP and we let them test my device and a few rare ones people own here. They managed to keep everyone unhappy for one reason or the other; missing apps, missing sharing functions, missing integration, missing choice in the way you set default apps etc.. The happiest bunch seems to be english-speaking users from UK, USA and a few other countries. All the others have an "enthusiasm curve" which fades pretty quick then return to other platforms.
    WP Is not only unable to attract crowds. That can be fixed with marketing. What's worse is that once users try it, often they go back and complain, which feeds a cycle where other potential users don't even consider it (I see a similar trend for Battlefield 4 in the field of videogames.....EA is giving it away for free for a few weeks to test....some people tried it and they didn't even manage to start the game in some cases) and users churn, churn, churn. That CAN'T BE FIXED with marketing. You need substance for that so users stay.
    09-07-2014 08:28 PM
    He also says that the phone is perfect for beginners like parents but for teenagers and power users it sucks.
    That's funny considering everyone I talk to who don't like WP (yet have not used it) always point out that WP is "too confusing" or "too busy" or "there's too much going on" on the screen. The guy is just another non-tech fanboy, nothing more.
    09-07-2014 08:33 PM
    Reviews are always subjective and not objective. If he didn't like it, that's fine, it's not his cup of tea. They're people that will love it that's for sure. Of course a reviewer should always have the facts straight with the product he or she is reviewing. He's pretty popular in Canada in the PC Enthusiasts section since he used to work for NCIX (Netlink Computers) and did these videos as his job.
    09-07-2014 08:43 PM
    That's funny considering everyone I talk to who don't like WP (yet have not used it) always point out that WP is "too confusing" or "too busy" or "there's too much going on" on the screen. The guy is just another non-tech fanboy, nothing more.
    Honestly, I think its funny he said that because the people I do know that have it are all power users.
    Karthik Naik and BobLobIaw like this.
    09-07-2014 08:49 PM
    Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's a very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

tumblr_mt2qair1mh1rnr47go1_500.gif

Developers are don't find the need for wasting their time on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

I have no idea how MS is going to penetrate the market even further. Future is not looking god for windows phone at all.
    09-07-2014 08:54 PM
    Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's are very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

http://i60.tinypic.com/mjl6pi.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mt2qair1Mh1rnr47go1_500.gif 
Views:	111 
Size:	805.8 KB 
ID:	80143

Developers are just not finding the need for wasting more of their time investing on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

I have no idea how MS is going to penetrate the market even further. Future is not looking god for windows phone at all.
    Developers said the same about Android once vs. iOS. I wouldn't write WP off yet.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 08:58 PM
    Developers said the same about Android once vs. iOS. I wouldn't write WP off yet.
    It was only between Android and iOS at that point of time. Things are very different now. Is there really another room for a 3rd mobile OS? Are developers really going to spend the same amount of efforts on the 3rd mobile OS which cannot even hit like 20% till now?? Doubt so. Some examples are how Instagram is still stuck forever in its BETA and Flipboard is like taking ages to be launched on Windows Phone.
    09-07-2014 09:01 PM
    Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's a very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

http://i60.tinypic.com/mjl6pi.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mt2qair1Mh1rnr47go1_500.gif 
Views:	111 
Size:	805.8 KB 
ID:	80143

Developers are don't find the need for wasting their time on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

Honestly, the start tile menu is one of many things keeping me on WP lol. Battery life, the interface/ui. I just love it all I can't imagine being on any other platform. I previously owned an android smartphone which was full of bugs and issues, weak battery life, very little customizability in many fronts. It was overall a very stale experience. Just my personal experience. WP for the win end of story good night. x3
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:08 PM
    Even for reviewers that absolutely love Nokia phones, things like missing apps ultimately make them unable to recommend them.

09-07-2014 09:11 PM
    Well that's one reason low end Lumias are popular first phones in emerging third world countries. If you've never heard of a certain app or just don't use it at all, would you care? I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp or Snapchat so I wont miss them. I mainly use Kik Facebook and Skype, and I can get all three right here so I'm perfectly fine with the lack of apps. Better a good working few, than several million malware or junk apps.

If a future update allows custom Font use in like settings/start menu etc. I would use Chopin Script or Halo style. Id have absolutely no reason on earth to swap out of WP.
    Karthik Naik and jlzimmerman like this.
    09-07-2014 09:18 PM
    Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one. Just who exactly is this Linus person? Except for Torvalds, the only Linus I know of plays the piano for Charlie Brown.
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 09-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    09-07-2014 09:23 PM
    there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

Michael Fisher from Pocketnow.

You're welcome (:
    Legoboyii, Karthik Naik and neo158 like this.
    09-07-2014 09:24 PM
    I have never heard of this guy before nor do I care about his opinions. All I care is I prefer WP to android, I can form my own opinion and I don't need someone to tell me which phone is not for me.
    09-07-2014 09:35 PM
    Does anyone remember the late '90s Apple messaging when Steve Jobs returned to the company?

"Think Different"

Sometimes it just isn't about features, or apps, or versatility or pervasiveness (all of which the PC had), but things that just appeal to certain people. It could be that Windows Phone is being different for the sake of it, and that's a very good thing. Will it result in massive market-share or even mindshare? Nope, but Microsoft's done a lot to cement a fairly firm and permanent position in the mobile world, no matter how hard some try to willfully ignore it or burry it.

Now it's up to Microsoft to identify and nail the next big wave.
    Legoboyii and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-07-2014 09:37 PM
    Does anyone remember the late '90s Apple messaging when Steve Jobs returned to the company?

"Think Different"

Sometimes it just isn't about features, or apps, or versatility or pervasiveness (all of which the PC had), but things that just appeal to certain people. It could be that Windows Phone is being different for the sake of it, and that's a very good thing. Will it result in massive market-share or even mindshare? Nope, but Microsoft's done a lot to cement a fairly firm and permanent position in the mobile world, no matter how hard some try to willfully ignore it or burry it.

Now it's up to Microsoft to identify and nail the next big wave.
    I like how you think 😉
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:41 PM
    I like how you think
    I like what you see :D
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:56 PM
    If you want an honest review buy it yourself and test it. Only morons blindly buy based on the opinions of others.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    Karthik Naik and Dk92 like this.
    09-07-2014 10:44 PM
    Temporarily closed for review.
    Guytronic and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-07-2014 10:45 PM
    This thread is now open again.

Friendly reminder folks.........
    [INFO]
    P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

[/INFO]

If additional moderation is needed, the thread will be closed.

[WARN]Discuss the content of the video and the reviewer, not other members of WPCentral.[/WARN]
    09-07-2014 11:02 PM
    It was only between Android and iOS at that point of time. Things are very different now. Is there really another room for a 3rd mobile OS? Are developers really going to spend the same amount of efforts on the 3rd mobile OS which cannot even hit like 20% till now?? Doubt so. Some examples are how Instagram is still stuck forever in its BETA and Flipboard is like taking ages to be launched on Windows Phone.
    Lets hope so. Lack of choice sucks.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 11:38 PM
    Apart from the apps situation & the T9 calling.... I don't agree with anything else he mentioned.

He says he used the phone for a month & doesn't even know how notifications work, nor how to use the contact list. Seems biased
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-07-2014 11:43 PM
161 12345 ...