Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Liu

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

I know that commenting on YouTube comment section will most likely be dismissed as a ****** rage. While I am a Windows Phone fan, and my first smartphone ever was Lumia 920, I really want to let the community know how other platform user and enthusiast think of this platform if you guys did not already know.
I have subscribed to Linus Tech Tips' YouTube channel for a while now and do agree with most of his opinions. But this review for HTC One M8 for Windows is just slap in the face for me, a windows phone user. The video: search for Linus HTC One M8 with Windows Phone 8.1
This makes me think. Why, why is this platform on such a huge back foot compare to iOS and Android? The fact is that Windows Phone 8.1 doesn't attract any smartphone users of other platforms. From its already bigger but still not big enough app store, to lack of support from Google and Apples, the chore to switch from Android or iOS proves to be impossible at this day and age.
This also makes me angry. I feel like as if I am a absolute moron for using Windows Phone at all. The comment section of this video, while defense for Windows Phone are present, it is composed mostly scoffing and insulting statements against Windows Phone users.
I can't thank Linus enough for how fair he is considering he is a Android user. While he does give credit where credit is due, (Cortana implementation, Windows services, etc.) this video proves that Microsoft really needs to step up the development of this platform in order to win over more market share....

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

i also see his videos,he is very biased and pro-android and ios,he cant review phones without bias
there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

linus is finding excuses to put down windows phone rather than faults
he said ms didnt remove 3 scam swiftkey apps which wasnt malware but doesnt critisize google plays attrocious malware ridden store
also his statement-"what doesnt these days" is just lame imho

i would have understood if his "cons" made sense but these were just vague,its like meh i can do this with my android/ios as though quality never even mattered

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Most "tech tips" writers are not very technical, and their respect comes from people who don't know any better. I've never heard of this guy until today.

I couldn't care less what a tech tips writer thinks. I also don't value blogger opinions. Just ignore them and go for what you like.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

The guy is entitled to his opinion. Buy what you feel like! Rely on your own judgement. No big deal.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

I don't respect him due to this profile pic imitating Steve Jobs.

Screenshot%u00252B2014-09-07%u00252B07.14.40.png

Attachments

• stevejobsbig.jpg
    stevejobsbig.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 58

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I don't follow LinusTechTips but I watch a lot of his pc case unboxing and reviews. His review of windows phone is not really extensive and based on it he never really get how to use a Windows Phone. I agree with poor quality of some apps and lower volume of app selection. But other than that I don't agree. He keeps inserting youtube even though he already know Google doesn't support the platform. I use myTube, and I don't pay it to enjoy it. One thing I am really annoyed is when he make a conclusion that the platform is not for enthusiasts which is totally not true.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

One thing I am really annoyed is when he make a conclusion that the platform is not for enthusiasts which is totally not true.

In that I can code apps I need vs. crying over them missing, I'd agree with you.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

Michael Fisher of Pocketnow
apparently he's the only reviewer you can trust nowadays

thanks for the OP for letting me know which reviewer NOT to look up for :)

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Yea I watch Linus for his computer related videos. He's biased to Android and iOS, and the only reason he reviewed it is because he already has the Android One M8.

If you want unbiased reviews on phones then PocketNow's Captain2Phones is the one to watch.

asmat_1991

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site

There are hundreds of YouTube videos or channel which trashes Windows Phone but hey! we all have our own free will to choose what we want I never knew of LinusTechtips and whenever I see a biased reviewer I just don't care enough to waste my time in thinking about it, I know I enjoy being a WP user and that's all I care about.
PS: Michael Fisher is really nice reviewer and so is the channel Pocketnow.

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I don't respect him due to this profile pic imitating Steve Jobs.

View attachment 80081
That's pure audacity. How dare he imitate Jobs? After reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, I have grown immense respect for Jobs. He was a genius without inventing anything. He was the greatest CEO and a wizard of the tech industry. He saved Pixar studio that led to great animation films like toy story.

I love WP and I don't care about what biased ignorant people say. Everyone is entitled to have their opinions.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
A slap in the face for a WP user.

Sometimes that is exactly what is needed to wake people up who otherwise wouldn't accept the reality of the situation.

I really enjoy my m8 as it is on Android and have to agree with almost every fault he gave about the os.

My first major gripe when I got my 1520 WP was the dialer and the keyboard. It is the 2 main things people use on their phones and until Microsoft changes them it will be a death by small annoyances that will continue to kill the os.

Microsoft has a lot of good in its os, but he has highlighted a number of growing problems because they haven't gotten what is obviously wrong with it corrected with the time they have had to do so.

Many people here either makes excuses for this or are so biased themselves that they refuse to acknowledge the problems are real outside of their own personal usages or are oblivious to them all together , then get upset when these faults are pointed out.

WP has to improve on every aspect to really compete with IOS or Android. If they can't even get the basic functions correct, it's no wonder that reviews like this one is made.

It may indeed be a slap in the face to anyone, but ask yourself if it is intended to be a insult or a wake-up slap. If you are insulted by it... perhaps you need to reexamine your own reasoning behind the causes.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

A slap in the face for a WP user.

Sometimes that is exactly what is needed to wake people up who otherwise wouldn't accept the reality of the situation.

I really enjoy my m8 as it is on Android and have to agree with almost every fault he gave about the os.

My first major gripe when I got my 1520 WP was the dialer and the keyboard. It is the 2 main things people use on their phones and until Microsoft changes them it will be a death by small annoyances that will continue to kill the os.

Microsoft has a lot of good in its os, but he has highlighted a number of growing problems because they haven't gotten what is obviously wrong with it corrected with the time they have had to do so.

Many people here either makes excuses for this or are so biased themselves that they refuse to acknowledge the problems are real outside of their own personal usages or are oblivious to them all together , then get upset when these faults are pointed out.

WP has to improve on every aspect to really compete with IOS or Android. If they can't even get the basic functions correct, it's no wonder that reviews like this one is made.

It may indeed be a slap in the face to anyone, but ask yourself if it is intended to be a insult or a wake-up slap. If you are insulted by it... perhaps you need to reexamine your own reasoning behind the causes.

I think you need to learn the difference between an opinion video and a wake up call.

You could tell that he gave it all of five minutes when he couldn't "figure out" what to do with the tiled interface. I was the same way until I truly gave it a chance. I guess he was expecting a toy instead of a tool. Which leads up to another discussion for another time where the OS caters to a different type of usage.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think you need to learn the difference between an opinion video and a wake up call.

You could tell that he gave it all of five minutes when he couldn't "figure out" what to do with the tiled interface. I was the same way until I truly gave it a chance. I guess he was expecting a toy instead of a tool. Which leads up to another discussion for another time where the OS caters to a different type of usage.

No.. not really. It is a wake up call from him and if anyone including you gets insulted by it then it is exactly as I stated.

The man used the phone for a month, and has issues with it. I used my WP for 6 months and had the same issues, and even more than what was pointed out.

The phone is great, but the os has issues with it for many people.

Sometimes the truth hurts to hear it from other people. Either learn from it, and accept it, or continue to be upset by it.
His conclusion about it mirrors what many have said about it. If his conclusion differs from yours, that is fine, but to be upset about it calls for a reexamination of your views about why you are upset in the first place.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Michael Fisher is the best phone reviewer on YT

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Everyone check out SomeGadgetGuy. He is awesome and is very interactive with the community. Amazing videos AND fun!

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

No.. not really. It is a wake up call from him and if anyone including you gets insulted by it then it is exactly as I stated.

The man used the phone for a month, and has issues with it. I used my WP for 6 months and had the same issues, and even more than what was pointed out.

Sometimes the truth hurts to hear it from other people. Either learn from it, and accept it, or continue to be upset by it.
His conclusion about it mirrors what many have said about it. If his conclusion differs from yours, that is fine, but to be upset about it calls for a reexamination of your views about why you are upset in the first place.

His conclusions mirrors what every other non-WP blogger parrots about WP. He claims he used one for a month but if he doesn't really know what to do with the interface when first presented to him on the M8 then there are two and only two possible reasons: he lied and had it in his possession for a month and wasn't using it, or is a tech *****.

I can recognize shortcomings, and WP has plenty. I also recognize bias and BS when I hear it too. Mixing the two doesn't make it a good review. Show the shortcomings, but keep stupid bias at home.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

We WP users have so much time that we bring opinion of those people(which most of we don't know). about WP.

and at the end we end up making bad mouthing on that person or website.

It's their opinion. Let them have it. You can't force people to like WP.(anyway he is from YouTube(Google) & he has right to do make fun or say whatever he want to say about WP just like MS have right to do bad mouthing on Google (Scroogle). )

Here in WP 95% users are Google & Android hater.

Their are even WP websites which do same with competing OS.(like Android,iOS)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

We WP users have so much time that we bring opinion of those people(which most of we don't know). about WP.

and at the end we end up making bad mouthing on that person or website.

I would have respected his piece if he didn't know. Did he not claim he used it for a month? Either he is lying about using it or ran into an id10t error..

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Not even close to a good review. The guy obviously wasn't trying to use the phone, and didn't look to learn all the different aspects. He quickly put down areas where Windows Phone was in parity with his possible favoured devices, he didn't know how to navigate the OS competently. Quite shocking someone whom considers themselves an enthusiast, and writing about Technology is unaware of key things. Guys like this, highly viewed by those that don't know better? Is never good.

Also many of his complaints were valid perhaps for "him" but he believed it was fine to say it as if it was very "anyone". Swype keyboard... Okay Swype isn't there, fine. Why not even try to use the Wordflow keyboard? He admitted he never did. He complained about "scam" apps, but they're there on Google's Play store too. Talk about a double standard. Then the email thing. He didn't understand a basic principle of the UI. Showing to me he probably never spent "real" time with the OS. You tap the application icon to open the app, and not the email. You press the actual email header to open that email. What's so hard about that?

Apps, yes that is a problem but he lost all his creditability to me. Another so-called tech person that will be ignored by me from now on.

Funny the Google fans believe custom keyboards was first ever on Android. *shakes head*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb