Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Number 4 was fixed years ago but spot on with the other points.

Really? It might have happened to me because I spent a lot of time using Cyanogenmod instead of stock ROM because it actually fixed the stutter considerably. Thanks for the info, though. :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Oh...I know..and was trying to not call anyone out directly on it ,because of what has been said in the past by the moderators here. His post was convenient since I am not on a desktop..

I will say this..to you or anyone else ...

To call a reviewer a liar for something you don't have a dam clue about is wrong. You made a either or statement,not an opinion.

IMHO he did a good assessment of what some of the issues are and did not lie about them. You or anyone here does not have the right to accuse him of anything as a fact unless you or anyone else can provide proof to it.

You may not like or appreciate what anyone else says,but make it an opinion in rebuttals. In other words feel free to give an opinion,but don't state your opinion as facts.

His assessment of the facts are spot on for many people who don't use WP for long periods of time or are used to another platform ...and it is confusing for some of these people why things aren't as easy to what they are used to and makes no sense why they can't have to same ease of use (or functionality if you prefer) and there are plenty of people like these other folks that do use WP all the time that feels the same way.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Either he lied about using WP for a month or he is an id10t. It's one or the other. That is a fact and hence a statement. You cannot claim yourself a technical person and use a simplistic OS and yet be lost in the interface (his comment). This is an impossible situation unless he didn't have it for a month like he claims(a lie) or he truly is lost, which means as a techie, he must be an id10. If he wasn't a tech reviewer,then I would find his confusion understandable.

There is no other explanation, hence it is a factual statement.

His assessment of the facts are spot on for many people who don't use WP for long periods of time or are used to another platform

Yup but he used it for a month, so that pretty much proves my point.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Really? It might have happened to me because I spent a lot of time using Cyanogenmod instead of stock ROM because it actually fixed the stutter considerably. Thanks for the info, though. :)

For me it required a complete purge of contact pics and reassigning new ones.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

That.... sounds like torture omg.

Haha, yeah a little. It was a long time ago though. I'd rate it as bad as when I switched to WP and imported my google contacts. Now I'm scrounging for new pics.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

To anyone who is actually taking this guy seriously, allow me to point out some of the Android issues over the years. Let's do the nitpicking for ourselves too!

1. The back button is broken. It has NO consistency and it's up to the developers who always screw it up. At least you know on WP you can press the back button to the last activity. On Android, some apps close out entirely, or you go back to another app without first going to the home screen. The back button on Android is sometimes like the "button to some activity that you were using some time in the past". No joke.

2. The UI inconsistency. Android's icons aren't all the same size. It annoys me so much how the some icons (like the camera, etc) are smaller than others and it gives the display a very untidy feel. At least all the tiles are consistently sized.

3. List scrolling doesn't remember scroll location. This gives me so much love for WP, I can't even explain. Basically, say you're scrolling a list of apps on the Play Store. You open an app's page, to look through it. You don't like it. You press the back button. The list comes back but instead of being at the location where you tapped, the list it at the very beginning forcing you to scroll all the way down AGAIN. It bugged me to no end. I have never seen this happen on WP, it always remembers list location, and it's just comfortable to use.

4. Google claims to back up your contact pictures along with contacts. But if you do a factory reset or sync your contacts to another device, the pictures that sync are at a pathetically small 100x100 pixel size or something, and opening the picture makes the person unrecognizable. Only if you open the contact and then open the pic does it sync the full-res picture (and sometimes not even then, it didn't work on KitKat for me -_-)

I could go on, but you get the picture, right? This guy is slamming WP for the smallest issues, without giving a thought to the niggles in Android that make the experience annoying. Pathetic.

Every point you made is not the case for all Android phones especially with 4.4.3 or .4 and the improvements made to the app store .

The various niggles as you call them is because of what the various carriers and manufacturers have done to different skins.

The m8 isn't one of these.

Just as Threshold will bring great things to WP...so will the next version Android for those phones,and some will (not anyone in particular here) will always think one of them is the greatest thing since sliced bread ,and others will find something that they don't like.

Both have come so far in making improvements, and yet they both have a long way to go from being perfect for everyone.

I wish that everyone could stop with acting so hurt when they read a reviewer's comments about their favorite platform that doesn't sugar coat obvious facts regardless of what platform is being reviewed.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Oh...I know..and was trying to not call anyone out directly on it ,because of what has been said in the past by the moderators here. His post was convenient since I am not on a desktop..

I will say this..to you or anyone else ...

To call a reviewer a liar for something you don't have a dam clue about is wrong. You made a either or statement,not an opinion.

IMHO he did a good assessment of what some of the issues are and did not lie about them. You or anyone here does not have the right to accuse him of anything as a fact unless you or anyone else can provide proof to it.

You may not like or appreciate what anyone else says,but make it an opinion in rebuttals. In other words feel free to give an opinion,but don't state your opinion as facts.

His assessment of the facts are spot on for many people who don't use WP for long periods of time or are used to another platform ...and it is confusing for some of these people why things aren't as easy to what they are used to and makes no sense why they can't have to same ease of use (or functionality if you prefer) and there are plenty of people like these other folks that do use WP all the time that feels the same way.

I will agree it's harsh to call someone a liar without facts, hence why I never stated such. However we have rights too. We have the right to state an opinion based on what we've seen. We have the right to say it's a poor review by our own metrics.

Fine you like the review, and he does make some valid complaints, but he's most certainly not a very good reviewer in my view. I would prefer for him to say that he found it hard to adapt to the OS, that he was used to the UX of Android, and iOS and struggled to find the way to do things. Then research if he would be right to say something, and clarify he had to research it. That he needed to think differently, which might be good for some and bad for others. What's so wrong about that? He did no research otherwise it would have shown in his review. The evidence is there in his video.

In my opinion someone whom says they're a techie and will be reviewing things should know something about the subject matter. If not, research and make sure they are doing their readers justice. He even said he got frustrated and left the phone for long periods of time. Not sure how that helps him to make a productive review.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Every point you made is not the case for all Android phones especially with 4.4.3 or .4 and the improvements made to the app store .

The various niggles as you call them is because of what the various carriers and manufacturers have done to different skins.

Just as Threshold will bring great things to WP...so will the next version Android for those phones,and some will (not anyone in particular here) will always think one of them is the greatest thing since sliced bread ,and others will find something that they don't like.

Both have come so far in making improvements, and yet they both have a long way to go from being perfect for everyone.

I wish that everyone could stop with acting so hurt when they read a reviewer's comments about their favorite platform that doesn't sugar coat obvious facts regardless of what platform is being reviewed.

Number 1 is definitely still an issue. Back button behavior is not enforced and therefore is inconsistent. That's one of my favorite thing about WP, the back button is predictable.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

That's what I was trying to point. The video that was the basis of this thread had a guy who was completely biased. You are practically saying what I am saying - no platform is without annoyances and problems. It's not about hurt feelings, it's about being objective, and that guy was all "doesn't everything these days?" and what-not. It was a poor way to highlight the problems, even if they are true.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Not liking it is fine. Not knowing what to do as a tech reviewer that had a month with the OS? Not even a little ok.

My wife hates it. So does my daughter. They have trouble figuring it out. Understandable,they had all of 30 seconds and aren't tech reviewers.

Okay...but tell me how anyone can get the dialer to come straight up from the phone tile ? You can't,and neither can any 3 party dialers.

Let's face facts you nor I like anyone to put down our choice of phones or our choices for the platform,but when they are speaking truthfully,the difference between us is being able to accept criticism differently. You've chosen to refute his statements with innuendo by
attacking his character. I look at what they say,and listen when possible to how they say it even if my first impressions is that they are seemingly biased. If it seems overly biased I go back and reread or listen again which I did which is why I have said what I have on this thread.

I know for a fact that we all have a tendency to be biased towards something else ,it's human nature to do this ,but unless you,me,or anyone else takes the time to try to understand what they are reading, from the other person's view,we all can make wrong assumptions

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Thing with the internet and social media....youtube ect...ect ! Is everyone wants to be an expert! I think the best expect is YOU. you know what works,needs ....

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I never give nor gave a damn about what a a tech writer says, has said, or will say about any product. Their opinions don't count, and they never influence my buying choices. I like WP for my own reasons and mine alone. Most of the time, they're biased to the particular OS or device they are using at the time. Compared to iOS and Android, WP is still lacking in a few places but are excelling in others.

Besides, why care about another persons' opinion when you're satisfied with your phone and OS? At this point, it's up to Microsoft to show what WP has.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I never give nor gave a damn about what a a tech writer says, has said, or will say about any product. Their opinions don't count, and they never influence my buying choices. I like WP for my own reasons and mine alone. Most of the time, they're biased to the particular OS or device they are using at the time. Compared to iOS and Android, WP is still lacking in a few places but are excelling in others.

Besides, why care about another persons' opinion when you're satisfied with your phone and OS? At this point, it's up to Microsoft to show what WP has.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, the real world doesn't work that way. There will be people basing their buying opinion on just this review alone. It's sad to say most can't be trusted and have their own personal bias in everything and these people will ultimately sway the masses.

The same happens in carrier stores, the amount of "horror" stories there is astonishing. These same "masses" will often be like, well, these are the experts they know what they're talking about... Reviewers need to be held to a higher level of scrutiny than the average Joe.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site

John rettinger from technobuffalo does a pretty fair job about it as well.
Sent from my...

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

I will skip on the video. But the sentence "A phone for no one" (except a few i may add) has been told by someone else i know during a test we did on some devices in Taiwan, nothing official, just something homemade with friends who didn't know WP and we let them test my device and a few rare ones people own here. They managed to keep everyone unhappy for one reason or the other; missing apps, missing sharing functions, missing integration, missing choice in the way you set default apps etc.. The happiest bunch seems to be english-speaking users from UK, USA and a few other countries. All the others have an "enthusiasm curve" which fades pretty quick then return to other platforms.
WP Is not only unable to attract crowds. That can be fixed with marketing. What's worse is that once users try it, often they go back and complain, which feeds a cycle where other potential users don't even consider it (I see a similar trend for Battlefield 4 in the field of videogames.....EA is giving it away for free for a few weeks to test....some people tried it and they didn't even manage to start the game in some cases) and users churn, churn, churn. That CAN'T BE FIXED with marketing. You need substance for that so users stay.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

He also says that the phone is perfect for beginners like parents but for teenagers and power users it sucks.
That's funny considering everyone I talk to who don't like WP (yet have not used it) always point out that WP is "too confusing" or "too busy" or "there's too much going on" on the screen. The guy is just another non-tech ******, nothing more.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Reviews are always subjective and not objective. If he didn't like it, that's fine, it's not his cup of tea. They're people that will love it that's for sure. Of course a reviewer should always have the facts straight with the product he or she is reviewing. He's pretty popular in Canada in the PC Enthusiasts section since he used to work for NCIX (Netlink Computers) and did these videos as his job.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

That's funny considering everyone I talk to who don't like WP (yet have not used it) always point out that WP is "too confusing" or "too busy" or "there's too much going on" on the screen. The guy is just another non-tech ******, nothing more.

Honestly, I think its funny he said that because the people I do know that have it are all power users.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's a very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

mjl6pi.jpg

tumblr_mt2qair1Mh1rnr47go1_500.gif

Developers are don't find the need for wasting their time on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

I have no idea how MS is going to penetrate the market even further. Future is not looking god for windows phone at all.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Sadly is a cold hard truth that Windows Phone is still not very well received by consumers in the mobile market. Here's are very good example of why apps are not coming to Windows Phone.

http://i60.tinypic.com/mjl6pi.jpg

View attachment 80143

Developers are just not finding the need for wasting more of their time investing on a platform which has merely 5% of the market shares. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone as a mobile platform is excellent. But most consumers don't find things like tiles based Start screen interesting. to them, the whole tile concept is like a high mess. They will rather prefer to use static icons or the out-of-place looking widgets. They just hate to see chess-board looking Start screen.

I have no idea how MS is going to penetrate the market even further. Future is not looking god for windows phone at all.

Developers said the same about Android once vs. iOS. I wouldn't write WP off yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb