Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

i thought the age of OS hating is gone already. but i find us gone nowhere.
plz stop this.
there are pros and cons for all OSs. can't we think beyond that for making it good.
rather than blaming for lesser apps in the store, try to use more and more and give feedback on those. that will help the developers to create more apps.
all those who blame about facebook / twitter apps, have u gave ur feedback to the developer?

it's just that, we have to accept that there are different people who need different phones. for some OS there are few users, for some, there are many users.
we are smart-phone users, r we really smart enough, not to quarrel / compare / hate different OS and get our work done by whatever means we like?

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

i thought the age of OS hating is gone already. but i find us gone nowhere.
plz stop this.
there are pros and cons for all OSs. can't we think beyond that for making it good.
rather than blaming for lesser apps in the store, try to use more and more and give feedback on those. that will help the developers to create more apps.
all those who blame about facebook / twitter apps, have u gave ur feedback to the developer?

it's just that, we have to accept that there are different people who need different phones. for some OS there are few users, for some, there are many users.
we are smart-phone users, r we really smart enough, not to quarrel / compare / hate different OS and get our work done by whatever means we like?

We should not have to give feedback. I paid for a new phone, not to be MS' guinea pig. If there are missing apps, it's because MS did stupid things in terms of using unpopular mobile technologies (Webkit vs Trident, OpenGL ES vs DX11), forcing devs to use Win8 with 64 bit machines (leaving out a lot of indies and part-timers who have no interest in Win8), not engaging sufficiently with developers, not marketing WP properly, releasing better apps on iOS than WP, releasing crappy experiences like Xbox Music, leaving out basic functionality like proper attachment and file handling... the list goes on and on.

So yes, it is most definitely MS' fault and no user's complaints should be discarded because you and your ilk seem to depend on MS for your livelihood, going by your apologist posts. Are you a shill or just that much of a ******?

I paid for it; I will complain if I find the smallest issue that affects my enjoyment of the device (especially if such is not an issue on another platform).

It's been 4 years. Four. Effing. Years. No more excuses, MS deserves every bit of criticism they get in this regard.

dippy_deep

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I can't compare Android or ios to wp8.1....
WP8.1 lacks only apps in store...
In all other field..its rocking...whether its speed,camera,spam free, piracy free... F*** the world, I'm with WP from start and to eternity...😎

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Having a beta program means nothing. Apple has an iOS beta as well - this does not mean iOS is for enthusiasts.

No, the fact is that WP is still sadly limited in what you can do. Have a Pebble? **** you. WP won't do **** with it. Want to attach a file to a reply email? TROLOLOLOL ***** please. Want to monitor Wifi channels in your house to find an empty one for your wifi? ***** please.

It's definitely not for enthusiasts at this time, at least not my definition of an enthusiast.

iOS Beta is the equivalent of WP SDK, not the Dev Preview.

So I learn something new today that I can only attach limited types of files in the the default email. It means I don't use it as of today. No I don't use pebble. And if you want to push apps, Lumia pureview camera supports DNG files, even desktop adobe supports DNG files coming from 1020.

I never use cloud storage until I got my 1020. I use gmail alot (I have 5 gmail accounts) but hardly use google drive. Even with my iPad I never use iCloud. When I got into WP, the integration with OneDrive made me a fan of cloud storage. That's something.

WP has built-in File Explorer. Adnroid (they say depends on 3rd party). iOS doesn't have it. WP has free Office. Sense such as Battery, Wifi, etc.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

The app story is a vicious cycle -
Lacking apps cause of the low user base.
Low user base cause the store is lacking apps.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for letting me know I can skip this video and this reviewer. In the future you'll be happier if you don't read YouTube comments ;)

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

I like Lisa from MobileTechReview and Boredatwork.
I find that they are more honest and fair in their reviews.
Even though sometimes they do get some facts wrong,
it's not deliberate because of bias.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one. Just who exactly is this Linus person? Except for Torvalds, the only Linus I know of plays the piano for Charlie Brown.

Linus is Charlie Brown's friend with the blanket. Schroeder is the piano player. :winktongue:
But I agree completely, I had never heard of this guy before.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

To be honest the only reason I've got Windows Phone is the price of the device. I didn't want to pay a lot for the iPhone but:

- The hardware in the iPhone is better.
- iOS is better.
- All the apps on iOS are better.
- I still can't work with Facebook (the slowwwww) on WP.
- Twitter on WP is a laugh.
- So is Instagram.
iOS and the iPhone was in the same spot when it was WP's age (not windows mobile). Unfortunately, with the growth and maturity of iOS and Android, WP doesn't have the luxury of having consumer's patience. People know what they're missing now, they didn't back then. And to make matters worse, WP is growing in a much more saturated market where iOS (and Android to some extent) had wide open spaces.

This is why in emerging markets WP is doing a much better job. Folks there don't know what they're missing. They like WP and its UI at face value for what it is and what it brings, without any bias or expectations. That says a lot for WP for what it is and it says a lot as to why the U.S. is the strong hold for iOS.

se7en20

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it's a phone for no one, Linus Sebastian, whoever you are.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

The guy goes too far and you can see he doesn't like the platform from the start. But his comments can't be dismissed. He's right on many things.

First of all, it may be indeed frustrating for some users to arrive from an iOS or Android platform and find no apps from Google except for the Google app. Plus he's a YouTuber so it may be even more frustrating to have to pay to get a more powerful solution.

Second, when he talks about when you click an email in your notification center and then have to exit the app to go back to the inbox, he's right about that sort of thing.

Third, in comparison, the time taken to find a contact and call it is indeed slower on Windows Phone.

Fourth, the fact that you have to press the mic button when using Cortana is a little stupid (I know soon we'll be able to say "Hey Cortana" but not right now.

Lastly, the lack of official apps. If one comes to Windows Phone expecting official apps, that person will be disappointed.

That being said, I believe apps will someday if not disapear completely, be less important. The fact remains that, with HTML5 and responsive websites, they are less and less needed. And that's why it's easy to get around some missing official apps.

On the other hand, some of his criticism are either wrong or just bad faith.

For instance, his comment on buttons not telling you it's been pressed... if you press a button, it moves. Then if the action you called worked... then it's highly probable the button pressing was successful.

His comment on the UI... he just doesn't like it... doesn't make the UI not good, he just doesn't like it.

And the last part where he says it's good for his mom and no one else, holy-contempt Batman!

Anyhow, I still don't understand why these reviewers feel the need to mock either the platform or its users. Criticize, yes. That's how the platform became what it is now (folders, notification center, etc.). But mock? Unnecessary.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however those in a position of giving advice need to be unbias and fair. Unfortunately as good Linus is, he also has a confirmation bias and brand loyalty. Therefore I would always take his phone reviews with a large dose of salt and washed down a large glass of sugar water, if you watch them.

Hence why I have maintained if your going to spend a lot of money on a phone always research, research and do more research. Since it is your hard earned cash your spending not the reviewer's and to buy an item just because a reviewer says it is next best thing since sliced bread is naive and borderline moronic. (On the flip side same can be said about negative reviews) it boils down to this - your needs, usage habits and budget.

I watched the video and I wouldn't be surprised if he spent no more than a few hours with the device.
I mean if he did then he would have noticed that he wouldn't have to pay twice for plex (since he said he used the same account as his 8X), some of the youtube apps are donationware (i.e metrotube), the lack of google apps (which looks like he will never admit) are down to Google not MS. He then has the audacity to complain about not having third party keyboard support and in the next breath says he doesn't use swype anyway when talking about shape writing. Then berates the styling and typography used as confusing and inconsistent, speaking of typography what about the keyboard on ios locked on caps regardless if it is in caps locked or not - Isn't that confusing?

Like other posters said, he bashed MS for not removing malware (when just recently they did just that - Microsoft Removes 1,500 Fake Apps From Windows Store / http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-removes-fake-google-apps-from-windows-phone-store) yet compared to the Google play store it is rife with malware (about which I have yet to see Google wade in and remove them).

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Man that guy is an ***. Looks like he's paid by some angry at MS company.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, click-bait headlines are the norm in the tech industry. Most times when a reviewer uses "everyone" or "no one" or other similar extreme language, it just guts their credibility with respect to the underlying review. WP users, though they may be relatively small in percentage terms, don't need to be saved from themselves by patronizing pundits (or posters).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm a well respected tech personnel too. And I say Linus Sebastian can kick rocks.

Sakitumi

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, click-bait headlines are the norm in the tech industry. Most times when a reviewer uses "everyone" or "no one" or other similar extreme language, it just guts their credibility with respect to the underlying review. WP users, though they may be relatively small in percentage terms, don't need to be saved from themselves by patronizing pundits (or posters).

True and sorry for calling this Linus an ***.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Linus is Charlie Brown's friend with the blanket. Schroeder is the piano player. :winktongue:
But I agree completely, I had never heard of this guy before.

Goes to show you how much I know about Peanuts.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

As I said before thread like this normally end up making reviewer insult because some WP supporter didn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)