Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The damage is already done, this thread can't undo whatever he have said. So maybe this thread can be deleted?

Maybe he did all this so he can be famous among WP fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

I tried to watch the review, but he has a voice and appearance made for print reviews... made it through and wow... I guess I don't really understand why he even bothered. It's ALWAYS THE SAME with these guys: they are invested in the Google ecosystem, and thus WP is a non-starter for them. His criticism of the keyboard is bizarre, and he refused to use the "swipe style" keyboard. Basically everything he complained about was puzzling to me.

His review was made by someone who should use Google phones.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

As I said before thread like this normally end up making reviewer insult because some WP supporter didn't like it.

Yeah I mean its not like the reviewer didn't know some of the stuff he was spewing,made sweeping generalizations by attempting to speak for everyone, and didn't even review the phone but instead made it a WP app store and shortcomings rant.

No, that couldn't be it at all.

It was just WP fans hating on his M8 review, which wasn't even an M8 review.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To be honest the only reason I've got Windows Phone is the price of the device. I didn't want to pay a lot for the iPhone but:

- The hardware in the iPhone is better.
- iOS is better.
- All the apps on iOS are better.
- I still can't work with Facebook (the slowwwww) on WP.
- Twitter on WP is a laugh.
- So is Instagram.

So, compared to that. We can pretty much say Windows Phone is not for someone in particular. The social-media bloke would get iOS. I've got some thoughts of by purchase. It's not been a success. I'd save some more money next time ....

I get the comments about app quality, but may I ask which WP you are comparing the iPhone to?

It was just WP fans hating on his M8 review, which wasn't even an M8 review.

Yeah he barely even mentioned anything M8 specific.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

I get the comments about app quality, but may I ask which WP you are comparing the iPhone to?

Probably a bottom of the barrel Lumia. Not a real shock iPhone hardware is better. You get what you pay for.
Maybe that is why u like WP better than iOS. I'm not a social networking fanatic.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Most "tech tips" writers are not very technical, and their respect comes from people who don't know any better. I've never heard of this guy until today.

I couldn't care less what a tech tips writer thinks. I also don't value blogger opinions. Just ignore them and go for what you like.

Look at Molly whatever her name is talk about an air head,

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I would LOVE to see T9 calling. It wouldn't be hard for them to implement and the keypad already has void space above it for the suggestions to appear.
It's still somewhat bizarre how in his video he goes to the contact book. I put my important contacts on speed dial. Or use cortana and specify who to call. Still, they need to add T9. More features/choice is ALWAYS a good thing, especially if they are optional!

I would also love to see some kind of setting that lets you choose the keypad as your default screen when opening the phone app. Ideally you'd want the phone app to open to your chosen 'default screen'. and then you could for example swipe left for the contacts. or right for speed dial. swiping is easier than pressing a button.

The guy is a bit daft for complaining that hitting the back button after linking directly to an email via the notification list. As others have stated here, if you want to browse multiple e-mail you tap the name of the app instead of a particular email. This way the user can choose to view one email or all of them.

His points about the UI are... well just opinion. Headers are kind of big compared to the smaller text but it's not really a valid criticism; some will like it, some won't. He also complains that the IE address bar suggestions pane takes up too much of the screen. Never had a problem with this tbh. It goes away once you've typed in your website and hit return.

I majorly disagree with his point about the system needing third party keyboard support. Why? Our keyboard is fine already.

To be honest the only reason I've got Windows Phone is the price of the device. I didn't want to pay a lot for the iPhone but:

- The hardware in the iPhone is better.
- iOS is better.
- All the apps on iOS are better.
- I still can't work with Facebook (the slowwwww) on WP.
- Twitter on WP is a laugh.
- So is Instagram.

So, compared to that. We can pretty much say Windows Phone is not for someone in particular. The social-media bloke would get iOS. I've got some thoughts of by purchase. It's not been a success. I'd save some more money next time ....

Please stop talking nonsense. You actually think iPhones have better hardware? Let me humour you.

LEFT SIDE: Lumia 930 ----- RIGHT SIDE: iPhone 5S

1080x1920 @ 441 ppi ---- 640x1136 @ 326 ppi
AMOLED ----- IPS LCD (OLED has better blacks)
20 MP camera ---- 8 MP camera
Optical IS ---- Digital IS
Quad Core 2.2 Ghz ---- Dual Core 1.3 Ghz
2 GB RAM ---- 1 GB RAM
2420 mAH battery ---- 1570 mAh battery

Right. So with the iPhone let us summarise; you pay a premium price for the apple logo and brand. What you get for that premium price is laughable hardware specs compared to the competition's similar price point. It's like buying designer shoes or jeans. It's a case of 'more is less'. If you're content to buy something with outdated hardware at a premium price because it has a logo of a half-eaten apple on the back, with half a day's battery life, be my guest. While you're at the wall outlet, everyone else will be still using their phones. GG. Maybe you'll even squint at a few football games on that tiny 4" screen?

"- All the apps on iOS are better." - Right, this is you just trolling us now, since WP has some fantastic apps on it. I'll go on enjoying myTube, nextgen reader, Weather Flow (best looking weather app ever!), HERE Drive+ (free satnav FTW!), Foundbite, Lumia Beamer, Lumia Camera, 6snap, 6tag, etc.

"- So is Instagram." - So what? 6tag is better than Instagram's official app on ANY OS. When will people learn you don't HAVE to use the official app, why would you when a free third party app is superior? Try 6tag then come back and complain about instagram, yes?

Your other points are valid. Cannot argue with your opinion that 'iOS is better'. Sure, I disagree but your opinion is your opinion.

Still, if you really only bought a WP because you couldn't afford an iPhone, let me tell you something. iPhones are horrendously overpriced. For the same money you could get an Android that does as much as the iPhone and more with far better hardware specs.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

finally a person who doesnt like WP much but whose points still make sense !!

I love WP. I don't love how Microsoft/Nokia (repeat MICROSOFT AND NOKIA) are managing the whole platform. This goes from slowness, lack of APIs, lack of global outreach, ignoring power users (IE those who spend more for devices), terrible online service, terrible local service, terrible support in physical stores.
Don't mistake my negative comments for hatred. There isn't any. I am overall a happy Microsoft user (this includes countless mice, keyboards, webcams etc. not just software). I just don't find the way Windows Mobile was let to die (they could have changed kernel and just port the concept over with tiles too rather than starting from scratch with these results), and the way a promising yet unfinished and unpolished platform like WP is let to die with all those potentialities. I think this better explain my take. I do admit my comments are sometimes unpleasant for fanboys or happy users who can't see the same issues others see. But, leaving fanboys aside (i think fanboys contribute to users leaving a given platform and are detrimental for the ecosystem), i think that if i am able to understand that some users are happy about the OS, others should be able to understand some others (power users spoiled by other OS' and in need of a change in particular), may not have the same take on it.

I just don't have ****** syndromes.....i buy a product and it must work as expected. If it does..you get praise..if it doesn't you get negative comments. I understand some users are happy. I respect that, i always did. However, that's not so for others. I expect the same respect in return. I don't type in blogs for fun. I do it to A) Make others aware of issues and B) let manufacturers understand we're not all lobotomized by marketing and tribal divides between OS where unconditional love brings the brain to blindly accept anything as "fantastically good" or "different".

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

A lot of us are disappointed by MS's decisions lately, especially the slow update cycles, lack of news, lack of quality with certain apps - still waiting for gapless playback on music app! - and overall slow support. Some OS elements are great, but some STILL lack polish - for example the fact I cannot share a document from the e-mail client. I can only do it the other way around; from the office client. This is just unintuitive.

It's really disheartening. You'd think with such a large dev team they could whack out these features urgently and get them out in time for Denim. HOWEVER I have a strong hope that they'll sort their **** out and start working on these things!

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

A lot of us are disappointed by MS's decisions lately, especially the slow update cycles, lack of news, lack of quality with certain apps - still waiting for gapless playback on music app! - and overall slow support. Some OS elements are great, but some STILL lack polish - for example the fact I cannot share a document from the e-mail client. I can only do it the other way around; from the office client. This is just unintuitive.

It's really disheartening. You'd think with such a large dev team they could whack out these features urgently and get them out in time for Denim. HOWEVER I have a strong hope that they'll sort their **** out and start working on these things!

It's exactly my feeling. I have been on Microsoft since the first Windows, learned through the often friendly community (unlike the Linux one) to manipulate the OS and make what i want of it. Did the same with WinMobile when others were still playing with dumb phones and even thinking they were cool while for me the only idea of a fixed unchangeable OS was boring. Then was forced onto Android and i even liked it for a while, much less over the last two years or so. The platform was unripe but promising and it did keep its promise...in less than one year Android was good to go and functional enough to make me work. Today it's entirely functional and it really makes you work.
People like me are caught in a dilemma. They can't stay on an ecosystem that works like Google (just look at this Infected Android phones now outnumber infected PCs on mobile networks | WMPoweruser to understand why i want to leave + all the rest Google is doing to make professionals run) and when they want to jump on WP or BB they can't find devices (small screens for BB, unripe OS and lack of apps for WP) they can actually use.
Here explained the reason of my complaints. I have to stay where i don't want (Android) because what i want (and want invest into) refuses my money and refuses to give me what i want.
It's incredible for a profit-oriented corporation to have willing people who want but can't buy their devices because their OS lags behind and is slow paced in how it develops.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

i also see his videos,he is very biased and pro-android and ios,he cant review phones without bias
there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

linus is finding excuses to put down windows phone rather than faults
he said ms didnt remove 3 scam swiftkey apps which wasnt malware but doesnt critisize google plays attrocious malware ridden store
also his statement-"what doesnt these days" is just lame imho

i would have understood if his "cons" made sense but these were just vague,its like meh i can do this with my android/ios as though quality never even mattered
haha, you're talking about Michael Fisher (Fischer?) of pocketnow. Great reviewer indeed.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

i thought the age of OS hating is gone already. but i find us gone nowhere.
plz stop this.
there are pros and cons for all OSs. can't we think beyond that for making it good.
rather than blaming for lesser apps in the store, try to use more and more and give feedback on those. that will help the developers to create more apps.
all those who blame about facebook / twitter apps, have u gave ur feedback to the developer?

it's just that, we have to accept that there are different people who need different phones. for some OS there are few users, for some, there are many users.
we are smart-phone users, r we really smart enough, not to quarrel / compare / hate different OS and get our work done by whatever means we like?

Well, we are not bashing Windows Phone here because THIS IS a Windows Phone forum.

As for feedback to the developers, I have an excellent example here:
mjl6pi.jpg

Pardon me, but the real cold fact that the most of the developers don't give a hoot about Windows Phone form other platforms. Indeed there are different people who need different needs, but that is also covered by Android already. We are seeing bunch of variants from high end to low end budgeted Android phones as well.

We are not quarreling here but we can't avoid the comparisons in this very tight mobile market competitions. People tends to use whichever platforms which are more popular because they know app supports will be there. Likewise for developers, the more consumer based of that platform, the merrier. But did Microsoft really sit down and think why this platform is still not picking up speed till now? Do consumers really dare to think differently like someone mentioned here? No!

Just take a look at the apps we have till date. Yes, we have some big titles already. But are they really well polished? Instagram still in BETA? Facebook app are full of bugs and so non-standard as compared to its counter-part versions. Whatsapp is looking so weird with all the speech bubbles having the SAME theme color as well as its HUGH fonts on bigger models like 1520. Facebook Messenger just updated with the capability of adding text / free draw sketches with its latest version on iOS and Android, and when was the last update on Windows Phone?

I have been with Windows Phone for quite some time since the age of Windows Phone 7. I have seen how the platform grown. But until now, I'm still see the Resuming.... thingy whenever I unlock my phone with the app running behind the lock screen. Lots of changes happened on Windows Phone, but basic stuffs like app switching and multitasking are still not improving much even for WP8.1.

Indeed there are pros and cons for all OSs. But as consumers, they will look for the platforms with more pros than cons.

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Although I like WP but his video for me is ok as he's pointing out what WP lacking... of coz "a phone for no one" is totally bs... :p

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

you keep forgeting that WP and symbian have always had the best battery life etc thats because they are well optimised for background tasks whereas a realtime os like BB10 has worse battery life but fast performance similiar for ios and android but minus the realtime multitasking

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I understand that this guy is well-respected amongst some communities, but there's a lot about his opinion that makes it clear this will appeal to no one but the tech scrubs who; instead of gaining individual understanding, simply imp whatever they hear.

He notes the accuracy of the keyboard, has no delay in bashing it for the lack of third-party keyboards... without even highlighting the fact that Windows Phone has the capability of swipe-based input.

He judges a Microsoft platform based on competitor apps with no discernible assessment of what alternate services exist. You don't have to give some knockoff/third-party Google Maps app a chance, but do realize services such as HERE Drive+ exist... which brings a lot to the table that GMaps doesn't.

I will give him credit for vocalizing that he was once corrected, but there's many more corrections to his train of thought that need to be made to definitively say he's ready to judge the platform.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I can't compare Android or ios to wp8.1....
WP8.1 lacks only apps in store...
In all other field..its rocking...whether its speed,camera,spam free, piracy free... F*** the world, I'm with WP from start and to eternity...😎

Speed? "Resuming" ;) But in other words you're quite right yes.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

I know that commenting on YouTube comment section will most likely be dismissed as a ****** rage. While I am a Windows Phone fan, and my first smartphone ever was Lumia 920, I really want to let the community know how other platform user and enthusiast think of this platform if you guys did not already know.
I have subscribed to Linus Tech Tips' YouTube channel for a while now and do agree with most of his opinions. But this review for HTC One M8 for Windows is just slap in the face for me, a windows phone user. The video: search for Linus HTC One M8 with Windows Phone 8.1
This makes me think. Why, why is this platform on such a huge back foot compare to iOS and Android? The fact is that Windows Phone 8.1 doesn't attract any smartphone users of other platforms. From its already bigger but still not big enough app store, to lack of support from Google and Apples, the chore to switch from Android or iOS proves to be impossible at this day and age.
This also makes me angry. I feel like as if I am a absolute moron for using Windows Phone at all. The comment section of this video, while defense for Windows Phone are present, it is composed mostly scoffing and insulting statements against Windows Phone users.
I can't thank Linus enough for how fair he is considering he is a Android user. While he does give credit where credit is due, (Cortana implementation, Windows services, etc.) this video proves that Microsoft really needs to step up the development of this platform in order to win over more market share....

I subscribed to him, and I seriously agree with most of what he has said. He gave Windows Phone a fair try last year and Android as well(he was an iPhone user prior to this).

He has been using Android since last year, he didn't move to Windows Phone or iOS after that. His claims are very logical and I think he is one of the best technology reviewers out there.

i also see his videos,he is very biased and pro-android and ios,he cant review phones without bias
there is another reviewer who looks a bit like robert downey jr,cant remember his name but ive seen 2-3 of his phone reviews and he is the best reviewer ive seen imho,he isnt biased towards any platform

linus is finding excuses to put down windows phone rather than faults
he said ms didnt remove 3 scam swiftkey apps which wasnt malware but doesnt critisize google plays attrocious malware ridden store
also his statement-"what doesnt these days" is just lame imho

i would have understood if his "cons" made sense but these were just vague,its like meh i can do this with my android/ios as though quality never even mattered

Windows Phone is often praised by fanboys like you for having a Store with zero scam apps and zero fake apps, plus Microsoft has a much more rigorous app testing system, and no refund system either. So he wasn't wrong when he insulted Microsoft for not having removed the Swiftkey clones.

The cons he has pointed out make sense.

iOS appeals to users for it's simplicity, your grandpa will figure it out, your parents will, etc.

Android is known for having a decent amount of simplicity while also having a possibility for a lot of customization.

No idea what WP is targeted for though or what it does much better than Android or IOS.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I understand that this guy is well-respected amongst some communities, but there's a lot about his opinion that makes it clear this will appeal to no one but the tech scrubs who; instead of gaining individual understanding, simply imp whatever they hear.

He notes the accuracy of the keyboard, has no delay in bashing it for the lack of third-party keyboards... without even highlighting the fact that Windows Phone has the capability of swipe-based input.

He judges a Microsoft platform based on competitor apps with no discernible assessment of what alternate services exist. You don't have to give some knockoff/third-party Google Maps app a chance, but do realize services such as HERE Drive+ exist... which brings a lot to the table that GMaps doesn't.

I will give him credit for vocalizing that he was once corrected, but there's many more corrections to his train of thought that need to be made to definitively say he's ready to judge the platform.

its ok if someone hates WP or finds a few faults which are geniune, this guy was more "meh my android/ios also has it" sorta attitude and doesnt give credit where due,instead he criticises WP over vague issues like a fake app(4 actually) which on android is a huuge mess comparatively(literally million fake apps of the same name etc)

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

salmana,

my family had 0 wp experience and picked it up easily; just as easily as they could pick up an iphone. it's really not that confusing an os, and it's been very well recieved as a 'first smartphone' for people. indeed, a lot of reviewers to this day still recommend wp as a great 'first smartphone'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion