Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

He was certainly lazy in his review of the M8. That has been well-documented in this thread.

No. Read the explanation below.

Many of the people in this thread find it hard to swallow criticism regarding Windows Phone.

No reviewer in their right mind places Windows Phone on top of his favorite operating system, Linus's criticism will help Microsoft improve Windows Phone.

If you can't handle the criticism that Linus does to each and every device that he reviews, I would recommend looking for some other channel that may sugercoat the shortcomings of Windows Phone and make you think that it's the best out there.

No, it doesn't show quality or respect. You must have low expectations of people if you think respect comes from such things. Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Wanna know what earns you respect with reviews? Lack of bias.

In this review, we certainly can call him lazy. He put no effort into it whatsoever.

He didn't have too put in too much effort into this review, he has already reviewed both the original M8 and Windows Phone in depth before.

This was say a short revisited video of the new Windows Phone 8.1 to see whether he would switch over or not. He didn't.

He still did a lot better job than most people out there, many of which either insulted Windows Phone and never cared to make a review for the phone at all.

1410530134994.jpg

He should've explained why the M8 for Windows review was short, but in his defense he did say and gave a link to his 30 day Windows Phone challenge from last year where he pointed out the good and bad about Windows Phone without being biased.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Linus Sebastian, a well-respected tech personnel on YouTube, says that WP is "a phone for no one

Wow, show a little respect. Watch his video about 1 million subscribers, he explained part of his story.

He is a great reviewer and spends a lot of time doing this for us, not to mention all the PC builds, giveaways, etc.

He uploads videos daily, sometimes more than one. He also runs a channel called "Techquickie" where he explains interesting stuff.

He's not lazy, he's one of the best out there.

hes not even better than the worst,he didnt highlight anything even relevant
his pc stuff is ok but his mobile reviews are vague and un-helpful to many

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Many of the people in this thread find it hard to swallow criticism regarding Windows Phone.

No reviewer in their right mind places Windows Phone on top of his favorite operating system, Linus's criticism will help Microsoft improve Windows Phone.

If you can't handle the criticism that Linus does to each and every device that he reviews, I would recommend looking for some other channel that may sugercoat the shortcomings of Windows Phone and make you think that it's the best out there.

He didn't have too put in too much effort into this review, he has already reviewed both the original M8 and Windows Phone in depth before.

This was say a short revisited video of the new Windows Phone 8.1 to see whether he would switch over or not. He didn't.

He still did a lot better job than most people out there, many of which either insulted Windows Phone and never cared to make a review for the phone at all.

View attachment 80714

He should've explained why the M8 for Windows review was short, but in his defense he did say and gave a link to his 30 day Windows Phone challenge from last year where he pointed out the good and bad about Windows Phone without being biased.

he is majorly biased imho

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 80714

So if he already reviewed the M8 and Windows Phone, then what was the point of his alleged M8 review? To troll? Compare an unbiased review to his and realize just how bad that review was.

A good reviewer points out strengths,weaknesses, comparison to competition, performance, battery life, etc. They don't rant on WP and claim its for no one. If you can't take the time to do it right, don't do it at all.

It doesn't matter if he reviewed the Android version. The phone acts differently and performs differently on WP. There is a reason to do both. Instead he made it a WP rant.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

hes not even better than the worst,he didnt highlight anything even relevant
his pc stuff is ok but his mobile reviews are vague and un-helpful to many

Apart from highlighting the many glaring flaws in Windows Phone, highlighting the great things(Cortana, animations, speed, backup and restore, essential apps are there, snoozing options are great) yes you are right it was *COMPLETELY* irrelevant.

His mobile reviews are pretty great IMO, he criticizes Android devices as well.

So if he already reviewed the M8 and Windows Phone, then what was the point of his alleged M8 review? To troll? Compare an unbiased review to his and realize just how bad that review was.

A good reviewer points out strengths,weaknesses, comparison to competition, performance, battery life, etc. They don't rant on WP and claim its for no one. If you can't take the time to do it right, don't do it at all.

It doesn't matter if he reviewed the Android version. The phone acts differently and performs differently on WP. There is a reason to do both. Instead he made it a WP rant.

If he had studied the Windows Phone variant a bit more in depth and directly compared it to the Android variant, he would have found more sore points.

The Windows Phone version has no support for extended gestures that the Android version has(such as swiping right for Blinkfeed or holding volume button to launch camera directly), it also has no support for HTC Zoes, no support for notification LEDs, no always on listening, no Blinkfeed on homescreen, should I go on?

Secondly the battery life on the Windows Phone version is better primarily because Windows Phone can't do a whole lot in the background, rendering most tasks suspended after they've been exited, another sore point. This has been improved upon in Windows Phone 8.1 but not many apps take advantage of it.

If he had directly compared performance, the Android variant would have most likely come out on top, as the Android variant has faster animations, faster multitasking, etc. Android beats WP in performance, here is proof: http://youtu.be/fkokodBl9jQ

Or he could've compared the HTC Sense UI to Windows Phone 8 UI, here's an example:

1410535524712.jpg

He would've found more and more and more sore points especially because he was giving the review from an Android user's perspective, so you guys are lucky that this "rant" that you call it isn't as massive as it could easily have been.

hey kids heres how Linus Sebastian a rookie at reviewing windows phones atleast,should have reviewed windows phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwDuZ7ATcoM
Fun fact - this reviewer is the most popular reviewer amongst all phone os communities for being unbiased

Fun fact: There is no truth behind your statement.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

ooh someone who hates michael fischer thats something ive never seen before

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

ooh someone who hates michael fischer thats something ive never seen before

Micheal Fisher is one of my favorite reviewers, he has an amazing voice by the way.

MKBHD is also a favorite, so is Austin Evans, Linus and the Verge(they can be biased at times).

But I just wanted to clarify that most of what Linus has said regarding Windows Phone is...true.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

But I just wanted to clarify that most of what Linus has said regarding Windows Phone is...true.
I think most in this thread will agree with you on that. His criticism of Windows Phooe isn't the problem - it's his extended rant about his dislike of the operating system that took up the vast majority of what was supposed to be a phone review. He said very little about the M8, and that's what I, and others, take issue with. I agree with his criticism of the platform; I am disappointed that it wasn't a proper phone review.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Micheal Fisher is one of my favorite reviewers, he has an amazing voice by the way.

MKBHD is also a favorite, so is Austin Evans, Linus and the Verge(they can be biased at times).

yeah right linus is biased as anything with vague "cons"
atleast pocketnow isnt biased and points out proper cons
linus is lazy,hasnt used a windows phone and is a terrible reviewer of phones

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

/facepalm

It was supposed to be an M8 review mot a WP rant.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Apart from highlighting the many glaring flaws in Windows Phone, highlighting the great things(Cortana, animations, speed, backup and restore, essential apps are there, snoozing options are great) yes you are right it was *COMPLETELY* irrelevant.

His mobile reviews are pretty great IMO, he criticizes Android devices as well.

If he had studied the Windows Phone variant a bit more in depth and directly compared it to the Android variant, he would have found more sore points.

Funny thing is I watched his video and WP actually won many of the speed tests. It beat Android in Vine (although he throws an excuse out for that), NetFlix, and in the news app it looked like he had to interact a few time to get the news to appear. So not certain why he's saying the M8 is faster. Also the M8 lags behind his finger just like the 930. Overall, both phones seemed to be pretty fast and fluid with minor speed advantages on both devices depending upon the task.

I also owned an Android phone and you say Android might not get as good battery life as WP because it 'can't do a whole lot in the background'. I'm not sure if that is correct but it could be why Androids seem so drain so quickly. In fact, I ended up turning off most of the background widgets I had just so my phone would *almost* last the day. Having all those extra widgets isn't very useful when you have to turn them off so your phone doesn't die in 8 hours.

Again, get the device that works the best for you. Android is a great mobile OS, as is Windows Phone. Bashing WP needlessly to us won't do you much good unless you have security issues and just need to do it to feel better about your phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Want fair and balanced reviews, no offense to Fox News, read Eric Zeman from Phonescoop. He's always shown WP respect as an OS yet critical of the hardware.
Sent from a Fire Engine Red Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

yeah right linus is biased as anything with vague "cons"
atleast pocketnow isnt biased and points out proper cons
linus is lazy,hasnt used a windows phone and is a terrible reviewer of phones

Please, please, point out some flaws with the review.

/facepalm

It was supposed to be an M8 review mot a WP rant.

Funny thing is I watched his video and WP actually won many of the speed tests. It beat Android in Vine (although he throws an excuse out for that), NetFlix, and in the news app it looked like he had to interact a few time to get the news to appear. So not certain why he's saying the M8 is faster. Also the M8 lags behind his finger just like the 930. Overall, both phones seemed to be pretty fast and fluid with minor speed advantages on both devices depending upon the task.

I also owned an Android phone and you say Android might not get as good battery life as WP because it 'can't do a whole lot in the background'. I'm not sure if that is correct but it could be why Androids seem so drain so quickly. In fact, I ended up turning off most of the background widgets I had just so my phone would *almost* last the day. Having all those extra widgets isn't very useful when you have to turn them off so your phone doesn't die in 8 hours.

Again, get the device that works the best for you. Android is a great mobile OS, as is Windows Phone. Bashing WP needlessly to us won't do you much good unless you have security issues and just need to do it to feel better about your phone.

Please, in that speed test the Android vairant managed to keep up with his finger much better than the WP variant, obviously there is a latency but the lesser the better.

Android also beat the WP device in around 70℅(or more) of the apps, in launching and Android also scrolls faster(just saying).

Battery life depends on the phone, while the OS has a role in it there are Windows Phones out there that are *known* to have terrible battery life(Lumia 930 being one of them). Battery life really mostly depends on the phone you purchased, there are even Android devices out there that last over two days easily.

But to conclude this, he doesn't need to bash Windows Phone just to feel better about his phone. He pretty much has the option to own any phone in the world.

He was an iPhone user prior to having switched, he gave a 30 day test last year to both Windows Phone and Android and he clearly linked them in the video.

He also went on to mention that the M8 was an amazing device, he also gave the link to his full hardware review.

He clearly said that this video to the software, he pointed out benefits and pointed out flaws.

Got a problem with that? He also says at the end "Dislike it if you didn't like it."

Want fair and balanced reviews, no offense to Fox News, read Eric Zeman from Phonescoop. He's always shown WP respect as an OS yet critical of the hardware.

You are implying that Linus's review wasn't fair nor balanced, I would like to see where Linus was wrong to criticize Windows Phone.

The hardware that Windows Phone uses is pretty similar to what Android uses(apart from camera, speakers, etc).

And that is *ESPECIALLY* true when he was reviewing the HTC One M8 for Windows which is almost identical to the Android variant(which he uses as a daily driver).

He works for Google.

No he doesn't. Just because someone points out flaws with any operating system doesn't mean that he works for the competing companies. Please try to put more effort, though and research into your otherwise meaningless comment.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Everyone else: This was supposed to be a review, not a WP rant.

salmanahmad: Yeah, but he made some good points about WP in his rant.

Everyone else: It was supposed to be an M8 review.

Everyone else: He didn't even spend the time to do an unbiased review of the M8.

I think salmanahmad is missing the point here. If he had labelled this as a W{P rant, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. He didn't though.

Whatever you adore about this guy, it doesn't matter. He made a fully biased rant on WP instead of reviewing a device. That is a fact. That is the only fact that matters.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Salman, I wasn't implying anything, I was simply suggesting to those who felt that the review was unfair to read another author. I've never heard of this person so I could care less what he says. Every single OS has its deficiencies and its strengths and it's foolhardy to hang your hat on just one if you're a "respected" journalist. I use that term very loosely since I don't see the most basic rules of journalism being used with any regularity.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

salmanahmad stop defending Linus and Android soo much its really annoying when you try to cover up for Linus and android(linux lol)
every thing has cons ,limitations etc
Linus cannot review phones without bias,his pc stuff may be decent
android has its own limitations and so does wp and ios but we move on and the more i use all my devices the more i realize this

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

as for the op, Linus isnt a "respected" reviewer of phones atleast,maybe his pc stuff which i found to be decent but his phone reviews are very vague and i suggest people stick to pocketnow
i think Linus sebastian's review of windows phones is a review for no one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)