The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-10-2016 08:38 PM
43 12
tools
    Lost data again today.

Was playing around with the cellular+sim settings, disabling and enabling roaming, the data connection, mode selection under sim settings. Nothing was helping. What's more frustrating is that MMS was working the whole time (which shows there was at least some data connectivity). Finally I tried cycling the wifi connection and the cell signal shows an airplane icon momentarily before the phone rebooted itself. Awesome.

After the reboot wifi showed as being off but was actually on (showing signal). Even better. I really wish I was within the return window on this POS.

Contacted HTC support via live chat a few days ago and they wanted me to calibrate the battery. Seriously?
    10-16-2014 12:00 PM
    In that you are rebooting when losing data, I am going to point the finger at the tower in your area. I've seen this more than once with other phones when a tower is sending something (I dunno,a dirty signal?) that causes radio interface layers to crash on some phones.

This is a critical error for any cellphone or OS, so it ends up rebooting to restart it. There is no other way to regain signal when the crash happens other than reboot.

A telltale sign is when it goes to airplane mode right before rebooting.

This would also explain why its happening to all of your M8s.
    10-16-2014 07:48 PM
    It isn't a reboot, is that cellular data just stops working. You can have full LTE signal bars, make phone calls and get texts (and MMS) but no internet. It's 100% a bug with this device, not a general cell phone issue.
    10-17-2014 09:24 AM
    It isn't a reboot, is that cellular data just stops working. You can have full LTE signal bars, make phone calls and get texts (and MMS) but no internet. It's 100% a bug with this device, not a general cell phone issue.
    Read his other posts. He does reboot.

Also, I don't have this issue, so if it a bug, you would think it would affect everyone the same.
    Last edited by Adrynalyne; 10-17-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    10-17-2014 09:29 AM
    I manually have to reboot to get data back. The phone doesn't normally reboot itself.

This does appear to be a bug as I'm on both my second phone and second sim with the same issue. I called HTC last night and they wanted to have Verizon re-provision my account (lol) before they'd do anything. Called Verizon who did that and asked me to keep wifi off today to see if the issue reoccurred. It did. I've been without working data for the last hour and a half.
    10-17-2014 03:01 PM
    I got a call from HTC yesterday after tweeting about issue (funny how that works.)

They said (as has been echoed in the reboot thread) that the reboot issue is known, and sometimes affected the data service, but that it self corrected when the phone reset. There is a maintenance update coming soon that addresses the reboot issue but not the data loss issue specifically. But we can hope that they are related and it fixes both.

In the meantime, they are replacing my phone, with a brand new one.
    I had to pay $30 for shipping (including sending mine back once I get new one) which seemed reasonable and better than Verizon's refurb option.

I'll post after testing new device.
    10-23-2014 01:26 PM
    I get this problem on Lumia 630. Restarting the phone (power off and then on) gets it working again!
    10-23-2014 01:28 PM
    I got a call from HTC yesterday after tweeting about issue (funny how that works.)

They said (as has been echoed in the reboot thread) that the reboot issue is known, and sometimes affected the data service, but that it self corrected when the phone reset. There is a maintenance update coming soon that addresses the reboot issue but not the data loss issue specifically. But we can hope that they are related and it fixes both.

In the meantime, they are replacing my phone, with a brand new one.
    I had to pay $30 for shipping (including sending mine back once I get new one) which seemed reasonable and better than Verizon's refurb option.

I'll post after testing new device.
    Sounds like pretty good HTC support to me. So many say otherwise.
    10-23-2014 01:40 PM
    Yeah, but I will say that until I complained on twitter, it was awful. They told me to put the phone in safe mode.

Safe mode.

Lol.
    10-23-2014 03:58 PM
    Glad they are swapping it out for you... I had a mystery thought though... Did VZW have you try manually setting the internet APN?
    10-23-2014 06:28 PM
    No I tried that on my own, but it didn't work.
    10-23-2014 11:53 PM
    No I tried that on my own, but it didn't work.
    Which setting did you use?
    10-24-2014 08:59 AM
    So I got the new device and have used for about a week.

Initially everything was great, no reboots or data loss for a few days.

Then I got both, 2 restarts (one of which was most likely related to syncing Band for the first time) and 1 day where I lost data.

So I guess it's just a bug and we need to wait for an update.
    11-02-2014 10:53 AM
    It's been mentioned having to many live tiles on screen as a possible cause among other things. You probably saw those posts. Just thinking out loud here. That apply at all?
    11-02-2014 11:21 AM
    Hi do you still have the problem? I habe htc one m7 had the same problem and just found the solution. Pls let me know
    12-11-2014 07:45 PM
    The M8 does actually have a "safe mode":

1. Turn the phone off
    2. Turn it back on
    3. As soon as the HTC logo appears, press and hold the "volume down" key.
    4. Keep holding it down until the OS boots. It says "safe mode" in the bottom left corner

I've had three M8's. The first two worked fine, but I returned them because they played up when I flashed a Kit-Kat ROM without upgrading the base firmware. My bad. The third one (which I have now) has the data-loss issue. When I went to return it, the Telstra store (Australian carrier) said it's a known issue and they were waiting to hear from HTC how to handle it. Perhaps it affects a small percentage of handsets? Either way, it's super annoying. I have to put the phone into flight mode for ten seconds to clear it, or disable LTE completely and stick to 3G.

I'm going to try running it in safe mode for a few days and see if that fixes it. Not a long term solution, but would indicate it should be fixable in firmware.
    02-02-2015 09:03 PM
    The switch from Global to LTE and CDMA worked great for me. This had been my biggest issue with the M8, so many thanks for the fix.
    07-10-2015 09:48 PM
    Solved my issue. Keep a strong data connection now
    09-10-2016 08:38 PM
43 12