1 Month on and Loving this Phone...RIP Icon

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I would hardly call the updates for the 8X a "debacle". And as for them releasing an android phone with WP on it, no problem here. This phone is very different from the run of the mill Nokia due to its amazing hardware. Also, they should be commended for releasing a flagship with 32gb AND micro SD that's not 6+ inches (1520). As for your point of Samsung vs. HTC, most would agree HTC makes the better device but Samsung spends billions on marketing, hence everyone has a darn Samsung. Not being as successful as your competitors doesn't mean you make bad products. See: Windows Phone ;)
Yeah I call users being unsure if their phone would ever get officially updated or not a debacle :) thankfully they supposedly will eventually get the official updates.
And those run of the mill nokias are what the masses and majority have and are calling for...hence the disappointment for the lack of one presently :D

While ssome are calling for the SD card most want 925, 1020, and 1520 successors :p there is also a reason why manyandroid fans won't a real Nokia android with pureview ;)

There is no need to commend HTC for not making a phablet windows phone as if a phablet is a con. I applaud Nokia for being the first to make it and even a year later the 1520 is used as a benchmark for up to date phones such as iPhone 6, 6+ and various android phones...very rarely do most reviewers
(non enthusiasts sites) reference the m8 besides a passing mention. In fact, wpc is really the only site I see trying to make sure HTC stays mentioned in the news lol.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
While ssome are calling for the SD card most want 925, 1020, and 1520 successors :p

Source? More made up statistics?

very rarely do most reviewers
(non enthusiasts sites) reference the m8 besides a passing mention. In fact, wpc is really the only site I see trying to make sure HTC stays mentioned in the news lol.

Unless you are on an MS or WP enthusiast site, you won't see any WP mentioned until it comes to taking pics. Thats it. M8 is no different. 1520 gets compared because its a frigging huge phone. If it weren't, it wouldn't even get a mention vs. iPhone6.

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Source? More made up statistics?

Unless you are on an MS or WP enthusiast site, you won't see any WP mentioned until it comes to taking pics. Thats it. M8 is no different. 1520 gets compared because its a frigging huge phone. If it weren't, it wouldn't even get a mention vs. iPhone6.

Agreed.

matfantastic

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I call users being unsure if their phone would ever get officially updated or not a debacle :) thankfully they supposedly will eventually get the official updates.
And those run of the mill nokias are what the masses and majority have and are calling for...hence the disappointment for the lack of one presently :D

While ssome are calling for the SD card most want 925, 1020, and 1520 successors :p there is also a reason why manyandroid fans won't a real Nokia android with pureview ;)

There is no need to commend HTC for not making a phablet windows phone as if a phablet is a con. I applaud Nokia for being the first to make it and even a year later the 1520 is used as a benchmark for up to date phones such as iPhone 6, 6+ and various android phones...very rarely do most reviewers
I think the majority of users don't buy phones based on updates. I certainly don't. While its nice to get updated software / bug fixes, I buy phones based on what they are, not some potential software update down the line. I admit amongst enthusiast sites like this my opinion may not be the dominant one, just how I feel.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think the majority of users don't buy phones based on updates. I certainly don't. While its nice to get updated software / bug fixes, I buy phones based on what they are, not some potential software update down the line. I admit amongst enthusiast sites like this my opinion may not be the dominant one, just how I feel.

I would agree for the most part. I think past practices by the phone maker (HTC, Lumia) play a factor in some minds. I had an 8x and had no complaints. It didn't get the updates as much but it still worked fine. It drowned in my sink so I went for the M8. I love that phone and didn't look at the potential update future when I made my choice. So, I guess you and I are in the same boat.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm so furious with AT&T (imagine that) right now that I'm considering either the SE or the M8. It's nice to know from actual users that the camera is not that bad. I learned my lesson with the Dell Venue Pro: it don't matter how beautiful the phone is, if the camera sucks - don't get it. For the life of me I can't figure out this notion of buying devices with the expectation of future updates. If it works for you NOW, what's the problem? Can anybody here honestly say they've had their devices long after the contract expired?

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the phone is gorgeous but I'll stick to Nokia/MS until other OEMs prove they fully support windows phone. I own an HTC 8X btw and I love it very much but it had issues that were software related that never got any attention.

stonetipapps

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by a Verizon store the other day and checked one out. It's a really nice phone. If it had the equivalent of SensorCore I'd consider replacing my Icon with it...so frustrating being dependent on VZW to upgrade firmware. It should be the customer's prerogative. If *somehow* the device then caused problems with the carrier's network they could just block it.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've had a icon since it came out and just got a M8 yesterday. Just a few things I noticed.

The power button on top is a bummer, but it has double-tap!!

No camera button, but with double-tap, you can open the camera very fast by putting it in the notification bar.

Sound, of course is great.

Fast! I don't know why, but things are much snappier on this phone than the Icon. Webpages, apps, camera are all super fast. Maybe the 801 processor.

Love the size and thinness.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I switched over yesterday from the Icon to the M8...

The M8 is a very and I mean very nice phone. I do like it a little better than the Icon but am having some animation shuddering at times. Not sure why but it only happens when using the back arrow. For instance if I am in Outlook and use the back arrow to exit out I get some shuddering on the home screen as the transitions fade..

Other than that, the phone is awesome!

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

The M8 is a very and I mean very nice phone. I do like it a little better than the Icon but am having some animation shuddering at times. Not sure why but it only happens when using the back arrow. For instance if I am in Outlook and use the back arrow to exit out I get some shuddering on the home screen as the transitions fade..

Are you using Microsft's Live Lag Lockscreen Beta?

It can cause that.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Haha me too, switched last night after researching all day. Gotta say I love this phone more than my icon which I thought would be impossible.
The fit is perfect in my hand and the sound is amazing.
Great to be aboard the HTC forum side now!

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Have had this phone since the release, I will say I miss my old icons screen quality. The screens on lumias just pop cause of the clearview tech. Also it was better in sunlight as well. Other than that this phone is better by far. All I use the camera for is social media do it works great for me. Best part imo is the speakers. They are loud enough for me to hear while I am showering, which is impressive.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Have had this phone since the release, I will say I miss my old icons screen quality. The screens on lumias just pop cause of the clearview tech. Also it was better in sunlight as well. Other than that this phone is better by far. All I use the camera for is social media do it works great for me. Best part imo is the speakers. They are loud enough for me to hear while I am showering, which is impressive.

Its the difference between lcd and amoled, in the way the screen "pops" on the Icon. What is clearview?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Its the difference between lcd and amoled, in the way the screen "pops" on the Icon. What is clearview?

They obviously mixed purview and Clearblack up.....sigh.

The Screen Quality on the Icon is amazing. I actually miss that screen quality on my 1520. I was spoiled by my 1020's(the 2nd best Windows phone after the 1520) but couldn't sacrifice the bigger screen and quadcore :D

dawizel56

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I returned my Icon also yesterday and Edged up to the HTC One for Windows. Brought the Dot Cover too and let me tell you it's a sweet combo. I wanted a Windows phone with the OFFICIAL 8.1 update, which my Icon NEVER got. The HTC One feels great in the great and it does NOT cut into my fingers like the Icon did. I was told that the Icon would have support for ISIS payment system. Never got it. Didn't have glance or double tap to unlock, hell my 920 had those, but I waited and waited for the official update to 8.1 and Cyan and then to Demin, but after Verizon stopped selling it it was an easy decision. The HTC One does not have wireless charging but it does have support for SD Cards up to 128 GB, It HAS 8.1 update, It HAS double tap to unlock. It does not have 4 mics but it does have BoomSound speakers. I has the Snapdragon 8.01 chip too saw for me it was an nice upgrade.

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Haha my bad I meant clearblack** the polarized layer on the screen, my favorite feature of the lumias.. Also does anyone have problems with screen too close to the edge of the phone? cause your hand rests on the touch screen, causing phantom touches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre