I am really wondering why Verizon got an exclusive on the HTC One for Windows. Never on display..

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have went into numerous Verizon stores including the one that I purchased my HTC One for Windows at and there is never a display model of the Windows version to this day. (Or the day before yesterday when I stopped in.) I went to a couple other Verizon stores to see and there weren't any. I went to Costco and stopped at the Verizon kiosk and no Windows One. I went to Best Buy tonight and once again the only phone absent was the Windows One.

Why do I care? Simply because I know if it sells good more developers will come onboard the platform. I can't figure out the end game for Verizon getting the exclusive but I'm sure they have one. Anyone care to guess what that might be? It is just an online selling deal for them they don't care to educate their brick and mortar employees with? I know if it was laying out it would get it's fair share of selections if the sales personal weren't pushing them away with what little some of them know about phones and platforms.

I have had a car phone since mine had a push to talk much like a CB and they weren't cellular. I've had all the platforms and all the major carriers. I've had Palm Pre, Samsung, Apple, the old bag phones and lots of variations of the Android. I even have the new IPhone 6 coming for my other phone number but to be honest about it I really like the HTC One for Windows the best of all of them so far. Maybe it will start to break or something or crash all the time but right now it's just the neatest phone out there for me. I played with the new IPhone at BestBuy tonight and I didn't get that moved. I guess once the other one gets delivered I'll be able to see if anything really moves me. Very nice feel but it was way too similar to my 5s and on the way home I already told my 16 year old if he gets mostly A's on his report card I'll take his 5s and he can have the new 6 plus.

Not blasting Apple at all. They really did a great job and after reading the Steve Jobs biography I really kind of got it and his hatred of Android. I think when Windows figures out who is on their side to help them promote their phones they might get somewhere. It certainly isn't Verizon.

MG..

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The question is why Microsoft, Nokia or any other device manufacturer would agree to an exclusive with one carrier. From the way Verizon handled the Nokia Icon exclusive, I believe (imho) that Verizon did it to kill the phone ...and/or WP8. Get the rights to all the phones, then bury them in a hole somewhere, never put any on display in stores, and have employees scoff at anyone who asks about one -"oh that's a windows phone, we don't sell many of those, they're not popular". That was an exact quote I got from a Verizon employee about the Lumia Icon.
Apple may have made and benefitted from their exclusive with ATT on the very first iPhone, by driving up demand with many waiting impatiently for it on other carriers. This clearly isn't working for WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The question is why Microsoft, Nokia or any other device manufacturer would agree to an exclusive with one carrier.

I don't know, but possibly it's the only way that Microsoft can get a carrier to agree to carry a WP. For instance, maybe Verizon calculated that the Icon wouldn't sell enough to be worth the bother if it were also released as the 930 on AT&T and T-Mobile at the same time, so they told Microsoft that they'll carry it only on the condition that they get 6 months of exclusivity. The sales are low enough that they could also tell Microsoft "take it or leave it; we don't care!"

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have always wondered why Verizon gets any phone exclusively, the seem to always neglect or mess up their"exclusive" phone deals. The Icon has been out long enough, they should have released the 930 version on AT&T, and the HTC One M8 deal should be 1 month, max, and then let the other carriers have it. Why would Verizon even care, it's not like the care about selling these phones.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There's a Verizon store across the street from me. They have it on display. The day it came out they had a huge setup for it. If you want your voice heard, go to verizon's site and complain on their forums or email customer service so they'll know about it.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have always wondered why Verizon gets any phone exclusively, the seem to always neglect or mess up their"exclusive" phone deals. The Icon has been out long enough, they should have released the 930 version on AT&T, and the HTC One M8 deal should be 1 month, max, and then let the other carriers have it. Why would Verizon even care, it's not like the care about selling these phones.

I think maybe you thought exclusive means they put it above the rest of their lineup. They won't do that.

It could be that there wasn't an exclusive at all, but that other carriers weren't interested until they saw how it did on Verizon.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Is on display here also and right when you walk in. I've never been talked down to by staff regarding my questions about or buying any windows phone. Bought an icon on release day and the rep had his own icon. Bought an M8 day after it released and the rep had an iPhone. He said when I asked which phone he used that he just always liked apple and had never tried a WP or android either. As we were checking out my new M8 he got pretty interested actually, admitting it looked gorgeous and was the first time he had ever fired one up. We both admitted it was nice to have so many choices and I went on my way. Anyway, who cares?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
At our local Verizon the phone is actually hidden in the back close to the feature phones. They hadn't sold much from what I understand.

The icon and se are far more prominent in the store surprisingly though.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Went to 3 VZW stores in my area, no WP phones in stock or display. Reps on all 3 stores talked bad about WP and pushed for Samsung. I ended ordering the Icons online. I also visited T-Mo. Same deal. When I asked about why they did not carry much variety of WP the response was "No carrier is getting WP anymore..." amazing!

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
When I bought mine it was 2 days after the launch day, The only HTC One M8 that was on display was the android version. I had to ask if they had the windows version in stock and they had to go in back to look at their stock. I moved from IPhone 5 to the One m8 windows phone. Its now been a month since I had this and all though I have had my problems I think it will be ok. I have also had my problems with the IPhone, and not being an apple - IOS guy sometimes it takes me a long time to figure something out. Its a lot easier for me to figure out a problem on my windows phone. A week ago I did have a problem and went back to the Verizon store to ask a question and they did have the One M8 windows phone on display then and I talked to several employees who also bought one. How ever it seems I always get that sales person who talks windows down and brags up android or apple. Plus the best buy here has 0 windows phones on display. They say they don't sell in our area. I said well I have one and if you don't stock or display them your not gona sell them in this area then. Geez for dumb.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think they have them on Display wherever the market wants them. Cause they don't have 'em on display here either. They do have a few at AT&T and T-Mobile stores, though.

I kinda gave up on going to the carriers though. I have a Microsoft Store close by and just go to them. I have seen the android variant and I think it's a nice looking phone. It feels like the perfect size for one hand use. Not too big or too small.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that it bothers me VZW gets an exclusive device and then they don't promo it.!? You go into a store and there are no displays? If you are getting an exclusive, the marketing i use to be in demanded we push promotions. It should be the same in this case. Higher volume store should have these out in a wp section.

I walked into a VZW store in beaver falls pa in early Aug. The door wasn't even beginning to close behind me when I was approached by an associate and offered help. I asked where the wp were and if they had an icon I could see. He laughed and then scoffed "we don't have those. Why would you want that?" I have to add I got the look from him like I had three heads or something.

I shook my head and walked out. Made it a point to say ill take your lost sale elsewhere.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to post something about this...

I went on a hunt last night to try and find an HTC One M8 with Windows I could play with. I went to 3 Verizon stores, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Staples.

Not only did none of them have it on display - but none of them had it in stock! I asked about buying one and they said it would be a special order because in one sales guy's word "no one really buys them".

wtf...

I actually got some of this on hidden camera haha! Let me know if anyones interested in hearing one Verizon guy's take on Windows Phone...

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to post something about this...

I went on a hunt last night to try and find an HTC One M8 with Windows I could play with. I went to 3 Verizon stores, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Staples.

Not only did none of them have it on display - but none of them had it in stock! I asked about buying one and they said it would be a special order because in one sales guy's word "no one really buys them".

wtf...

I actually got some of this on hidden camera haha! Let me know if anyones interested in hearing one Verizon guy's take on Windows Phone...

Post the vid

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
You Tube it. Maybe it will go viral and you can get either Verizon or MS to address this issue. This affects all windows phones and users!

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Since the phone was in my pocket recording, all I have is the audio - but I will upload to Youtube and post the link here.

I basically asked him if he had any M8s I could play with, and he basically said no one buys them and that they have iphone's and Galaxys I can play with. I then told him I currently had an iPhone (white lie) and I was on AT&T and wanted to switch to Verizon - but I just bought a Surface so I though the Windows Phone would compliment that well to see what his reaction would be. I'll get the video posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb