09-28-2014 10:55 AM
46 12
tools
    The fact is, you posted a thread titled " should I buy a HTC?"....

Either you wanted an honest answer. Or more likely, it seems as though you were phishing for praise. I offer none. HTC has proven miserable with quality of materials and blocking SW updates for superior devices is an abysmal show of poor form.

So if I answered your question, please thank me. If all you were doing was trying to elicit good marks about OM8FW, then please know failure like the company which manufacturers that device.
    I got an update today.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-25-2014 12:19 AM
    If you read the title it doesn't say "Should I Buy a HTC..." it says "Should You..."
    I appreciate the honest answer but bloating your answer with general truths isn't getting anywhere, haha. EVERY device EVER made has issues. There has never been a perfect phone. Consumers may go "this is the perfect phone" but the next person goes "too easily broken. Not good enough camera. Stupid screen. Don't like the platform. Too heavy. Too big. Etc."
    The Samsung Galaxy S5 has sold over ten million units. You think that's a perfect phone? Every phone has issues.
    09-25-2014 05:29 PM
    I did get one and couldn't be happier.
    I agree. I am loving mine.
    09-25-2014 05:42 PM
    Quick fix: Stop dropping your phone.
    Dropping one's phone can, often times, be just an accident. No one drops their phone on purpose. At least, not anyone in their right mind. With that said, I think people just need to be more aware and alert of what they are doing with their phones and not handle the phone nonchalantly. When you hold it, hold it tightly, not loosely. Or, just put it in your pocket, yet be aware that it's there before you do possible damage to it.
    Last edited by Jimmie Lee; 09-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    09-25-2014 05:56 PM
    Dropping one's phone can, often times, be just an accident. No one drops their phone on purpose. At least, not anyone in their right mind. With that said, I think people just need to be more aware and alert of what they are doing with their phones and not handle the phone nonchalantly. When you hold it, hold it tightly, not loosely. Or, just put it in your pocket, yet be aware that it's there before you do possible damage to it.
    True, but if you find yourself judging glass thickness because you keep dropping them so often, it might indicate a problem somewhere ;)
    09-25-2014 07:58 PM
    If you read the title it doesn't say "Should I Buy a HTC..." it says "Should You..."
    I appreciate the honest answer but bloating your answer with general truths isn't getting anywhere, haha. EVERY device EVER made has issues. There has never been a perfect phone. Consumers may go "this is the perfect phone" but the next person goes "too easily broken. Not good enough camera. Stupid screen. Don't like the platform. Too heavy. Too big. Etc."
    The Samsung Galaxy S5 has sold over ten million units. You think that's a perfect phone? Every phone has issues.
    By half-truths, you must be referring to opinions. But here's an undisputable fact, the Nokia Lumia ICON has zero issues. You should buy a Nokia Lumia ICON. I should buy a Nokia Lumia ICON. We should all buy Nokia Lumia ICONs.
    mark233 likes this.
    09-25-2014 09:25 PM
    By half-truths, you must be referring to opinions. But here's an undisputable fact, the Nokia Lumia ICON has zero issues. You should buy a Nokia Lumia ICON. I should buy a Nokia Lumia ICON. We should all buy Nokia Lumia ICONs.
    Please.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...rebooting.html

http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...-button-update

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Noki...s/td-p/2556990

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Noki...s/td-p/2429926

Indisputable fact?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/

PLENTY of issues threads in there, just like ANY OTHER PHONE.

Stop spreading nonsense. We have no need for cheerleader theatrics.
    Last edited by Adrynalyne; 09-26-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    cbreze likes this.
    09-25-2014 11:39 PM
    +925 for sarcasm ... I chortled ;)
    09-26-2014 05:28 AM
    I've had mine since first week it was offered by Verizon.

It's OK... actually better than OK. But I would not go as far as to say GREAT!

If I had it to do over again, I would still get it. Here are the things I don't like:

1) The camera does not appear to be everything people seem to be claiming. I am seeing poor color, and poor focusing. When trying to take pictures of products to show to customers, for example, I will ALWAYS start with HTC One. But often, I will not be happy with the pictures, and end up breaking out the iPad 3.

2) The sounds/notification are a bit of a problem. If I have it in my pocket, it is often hard to hear. I also have the vibration set, but it only vibrates once, and very briefly at that. So I do miss calls, texts, etc. (But the good news is that it does not bend! )

3) The touchscreen is SUPER sensitive. Scrolling though a list, like on HTC Blink (a poor substitute for Flipboard, by the way), I will often find it thinking I have touched the the link, when I did not. Of course, some will attribute this to "stupid user", but I've been using touchscreen devices daily for many years... I'm quite familiar with how to use them.

These are all annoyances to which I will learn to adapt... or learn to ignore.

I like the phone.
    09-26-2014 01:18 PM
    Can't recall a better , more stable device than my M8 in years anyway. This is what my icon should have been. I'd recommend it 100% to anyone. Unless your wanting a phone for a camera, (then icon is for you) you can't go wrong.
    09-26-2014 02:08 PM
    If you are talking about the device itself, it's a spectacular one. Arguably the best Windows Phone out there.

Comparing it to it's Android sibling however and it stands barely any chance, just my opinion.

Great device nonetheless.
    09-27-2014 07:10 AM
    Of course the Nokia Lumia Icon has issues. Just like every phone. Ever.
    But like I said-a phone can be perfect for one person, and not good enough for the next. If you think the Icon is perfect, great! But it does have issues. It could've been a whole lot better.
    09-27-2014 11:13 AM
    If you are talking about the device itself, it's a spectacular one. Arguably the best Windows Phone out there.

Comparing it to it's Android sibling however and it stands barely any chance, just my opinion.

Great device nonetheless.
    I think the Windows version is better, personally. Putting the platform aside, the Windows version has a better battery and is a little bit more efficient. And I think Windows just looks more at home on the One M8 than Android.
    09-27-2014 11:14 AM
    I think the Windows version is better, personally. Putting the platform aside, the Windows version has a better battery and is a little bit more efficient. And I think Windows just looks more at home on the One M8 than Android.
    Ha, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.
    09-27-2014 11:37 AM
    Obviously I won't make fun of your choice, no doubt Windows Phone is a beautiful OS and it looks great on the M8.

The reason why I said the Android version was better because HTC Sense and the apps IMO just looks better on the M8, Sense was "made" for the M8.

Add to that the fact that the Android version supports extra gestures such as holding down the volume button to open camera, HTC Zoe, Blinkfeed a swipe away, better notification toggles, the better looking keyboard(IMO), and overall the better update cycle.

1411835781969.jpg

Now look at the above photo and tell me which looks better? Sense feels like to me it was made for the HTC One, whereas Windows Phone is the same experience throughout most devices.

And as far as performance goes, I've seen a few speed tests and Android came out on top against Windows Phone, while battery life is technically better on the WP variant but that's because the WP variant simply can't even do a fraction of what the Android variant can.
    09-27-2014 11:37 AM
    Obviously I won't make fun of your choice, no doubt Windows Phone is a beautiful OS and it looks great on the M8.

The reason why I said the Android version was better because HTC Sense and the apps IMO just looks better on the M8, Sense was "made" for the M8.

Add to that the fact that the Android version supports extra gestures such as holding down the volume button to open camera, HTC Zoe, Blinkfeed a swipe away, better notification toggles, the better looking keyboard(IMO), and overall the better update cycle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1411835781969.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	82628

Now look at the above photo and tell me which looks better? Sense feels like to me it was made for the HTC One, whereas Windows Phone is the same experience throughout most devices.

And as far as performance goes, I've seen a few speed tests and Android came out on top against Windows Phone, while battery life is technically better on the WP variant but that's because the WP variant simply can't even do a fraction of what the Android variant can.
    To each their own but I prefer the look of WP.

As for performance, android is the only OS that has managed to make it nearly impossible to keep up a constant frame rate.

So you can have your benchmarks. I'll take my real world performance.
    09-27-2014 01:45 PM
    To each their own but I prefer the look of WP.

As for performance, android is the only OS that has managed to make it nearly impossible to keep up a constant frame rate.

So you can have your benchmarks. I'll take my real world performance.
    I was talking about real time:

The constant frame rates can be sometimes a problem but yeah they'll be locked at a consistent 60 FPS in Android L. :)
    09-27-2014 02:21 PM
    I was talking about real time:

The constant frame rates can be sometimes a problem but yeah they'll be locked at a consistent 60 FPS in Android L. :)

They made that claim with Jellybean too. Until they prioritize the UI, it aint happening with any real consistency.

Interesting video. Of course you chose a faster SoC in the M8. Lets not skew things though ;)
    09-27-2014 02:26 PM
    They made that claim with Jellybean too. Until they prioritize the UI, it aint happening with any real consistency.

Interesting video. Of course you chose a faster SoC in the M8. Lets not skew things though ;)
    They actually have managed to get rid of most(if not all) performance issues after the constant updates.

Since Android L will also make ART runtime, I imagine a lagless UI and this time they are trying very very hard for the consistent 60 FPS.

Plus the Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 and HTC One M8 have pretty similar CPUs, but the GPU of the M8 is stronger not that it is relevant here because app start up is more Dependant on Cpu.
    09-27-2014 02:34 PM
    They actually have managed to get rid of most(if not all) performance issues after the constant updates.

Since Android L will also make ART runtime, I imagine a lagless UI and this time they are trying very very hard for the consistent 60 FPS.

Plus the Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 and HTC One M8 have pretty similar CPUs, but the GPU of the M8 is stronger not that it is relevant here because app start up is more Dependant on Cpu.
    Considering that the GUI and applications are GPU accelerated in both OSes, yeah it does make a difference. Not to mention that the 801 has a faster memory controller and the CPU is a little faster, which is what we saw in the video. Not majorly different, but different enough to see the difference as you saw.

Dalvik wasn't causing the FPS issues in Android, you know that right?

I am not new to Android, so I am very familiar with the updates.

Note 3
    Droid Maxx
    Note 2
    Droid DNA
    Galaxy Nexus
    Droid Incredible 2
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Galaxy S
    Droid Incredible
    Droid 1

Nexus 7(2012)
    Nexus 7(2013)
    salmanahmad likes this.
    09-27-2014 02:40 PM
    I believe Windows is quite simply more efficient than Android. It's why the performance is the same around the board. You can use the Nokia Lumia 520 and get better performance than you would in most mid-range Android devices.
    Yeah, Windows doesn't have as much going around but it's darn impressive that Microsoft managed to make such a solid platform. Windows Phone 9 may change that, of course, but right now you get more consistent performance on a Windows phone, budget or flagship.
    09-28-2014 10:55 AM
46 12