So far this is the worst phone I've ever had.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Me too! Great phone!

The only issue I've had is that the ringer isn't all that loud in the pocket. Or at least that's what I thought. Turns out I hadn't thought about how I put it in my pocket. I always put it in there with the screen against my leg. That's fine for phones with top or bottom speakers, not so good at all for the M8 with the front-firing speakers.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Take your phone back already. No one keeps a phone they are having this many problems that no one else has unless they are selling an idea... Not buying.. I have the new Apple Plus w/64. I had a long road trip yesterday with a friend. Other then Google maps just smoking "Here Drive" I played with my HTC One almost the whole time. Of course I'm not over on Apple's forum bashing their new phone. Why if I prefer the HTC One for Windows? It's a very nice phone. I just find the One a bit more eloquent and perfect sized for my hand. The guy I was with freaked out on how well Cortana handled text messages without messing up even his words when he was driving. We were texting back and forth with another group of guys as we met at different hunt sites looking for old coins.

Hi Fadia

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
8. When hooking up phone to my Windows 7 computer it shows in the device manager that there are no drivers found for HTC6995LVW 2 times even throw I have the Windows Phone app for desktop installed and I can view the files in Windows Explorer.

I had the same problem with my phone, it turned out it was my SD card that was giving me errors, try to connect your phone without the SD card if you have one and see if that helps

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
First off, I loved my BlackBerry devices... The Pearl was awesome, the Storm, not so much... lol

That said, looking at these in order... It appears that almost all of them are based on the proximity sensor, or your use of it. From everything you are saying, it sounds like you are physically touching the screen while you are on the phone. If you are touching the screen then have the proximity sensor 'turn off' all sorts of crazy can happen quickly. If you hold the phone about 1/4-1/2" away from your ear and cheek, do the same things happen?

1) This is probably due to your cheek activating a second call...
2) Either a dirty proximity sensor from touching the dirt/grease on your face/ear or a defective sensor - or that screen protector.
3} The last screen bug is a known issue that HTC is working on. They are well aware of the issue and are troubleshooting it.
4) The quick vibrate is the connection notification. If you are connecting (ringing) before you get it to your ear, you should still feel it, but not as much as if it buzzes in your ear.
5) That one I have never heard of, but again, if she pulled the phone away from her ear and deactivated the prox sensor, that would lead to weird things happening. I haven't had that issue at all, but I can imagine that would be terribly frustrating.
6) This is one issue that I just can't imagine. The M8's that I've seen have had the most aggressive vibration settings of any phone I've ever used! Not sure what would cause a weak vibration, but I guess that one is a matter of opinion.
7) Do you have the pocket ring feature turned on? If so, what's the volume level set at for your ringer? Also, did you program your own ringers or are you using the supplied tones?
8) The Windows Phone App would have nothing to do with the drivers for your device. You would need to download the correct drivers from HTC. That said, Microsoft has said multiple times that in order to get the 'real Windows Phone 8 experience' users would have to be on Windows 8. You should still have MTP access no matter what version of Windows you are running.

Again, it seems like 90% of your frustrations with the M8 are based off the way that the proximity sensor is behaving. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I also use a Dot View case, which if you talk on the phone a ton, I would highly recommend getting. You don't even need to 'swipe' to answer, you simply pick up the phone and start talking. It's pretty sweet.

Hopefully you can get things sorted out with your phone. I love my M8, but a defective phone is absolutely the worst to have to deal with. Good Luck!

cookiemonsterMoA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
First off, I loved my BlackBerry devices... The Pearl was awesome, the Storm, not so much... lol

That said, looking at these in order... It appears that almost all of them are based on the proximity sensor, or your use of it. From everything you are saying, it sounds like you are physically touching the screen while you are on the phone. If you are touching the screen then have the proximity sensor 'turn off' all sorts of crazy can happen quickly. If you hold the phone about 1/4-1/2" away from your ear and cheek, do the same things happen?
Thanks for the reply waazzupppp and sorry I have mot replied sooner. Been busy with work. If I pull the phone away from my check 1/4-1/2" from my cheek some times the screen lights up and some times it stays black.
1) This is probably due to your cheek activating a second call...
very possible but when its up to my ear the screen should always be black, correct?
2) Either a dirty proximity sensor from touching the dirt/grease on your face/ear or a defective sensor - or that screen protector.
I doubt that it is this because it happened right after I left the Verizon store when I got my New replacement. I also tried using the phone with no screen protector, with the thin film kind and the Tempered Glass Screen Protector and it still does it.
3} The last screen bug is a known issue that HTC is working on. They are well aware of the issue and are troubleshooting it.
I hope they put out the update soon
4) The quick vibrate is the connection notification. If you are connecting (ringing) before you get it to your ear, you should still feel it, but not as much as if it buzzes in your ear.
I must be fast them :wink: Can it be turned off?
5) That one I have never heard of, but again, if she pulled the phone away from her ear and deactivated the prox sensor, that would lead to weird things happening. I haven't had that issue at all, but I can imagine that would be terribly frustrating.
She was not pulling the phone away from her ear. She was walking towards me and the phone was on her ear the hole time.
6) This is one issue that I just can't imagine. The M8's that I've seen have had the most aggressive vibration settings of any phone I've ever used! Not sure what would cause a weak vibration, but I guess that one is a matter of opinion.
It does vibrate good but when its in the holster I just cant feel it. It most likely me.
7) Do you have the pocket ring feature turned on? If so, what's the volume level set at for your ringer? Also, did you program your own ringers or are you using the supplied tones?
Yes I do have pocket ring feature turned on and the volume level is set to 10 (the highest). I am using the default sound settings.
8) The Windows Phone App would have nothing to do with the drivers for your device. You would need to download the correct drivers from HTC. That said, Microsoft has said multiple times that in order to get the 'real Windows Phone 8 experience' users would have to be on Windows 8. You should still have MTP access no matter what version of Windows you are running.
I contacted HTC and they said they do not have drivers for the phone. I have to get them from windows. sounds like they have no clue.

Again, it seems like 90% of your frustrations with the M8 are based off the way that the proximity sensor is behaving. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I also use a Dot View case, which if you talk on the phone a ton, I would highly recommend getting. You don't even need to 'swipe' to answer, you simply pick up the phone and start talking. It's pretty sweet.

Hopefully you can get things sorted out with your phone. I love my M8, but a defective phone is absolutely the worst to have to deal with. Good Luck!

To everyone else please read all the replies because I have stated that I had the phone replaced already. I also did resets on this phone. ( not trying to sound like a jerk)

Take your phone back already. No one keeps a phone they are having this many problems that no one else has unless they are selling an idea... Not buying.. I have the new Apple Plus w/64. I had a long road trip yesterday with a friend. Other then Google maps just smoking "Here Drive" I played with my HTC One almost the whole time. Of course I'm not over on Apple's forum bashing their new phone. Why if I prefer the HTC One for Windows? It's a very nice phone. I just find the One a bit more eloquent and perfect sized for my hand. The guy I was with freaked out on how well Cortana handled text messages without messing up even his words when he was driving. We were texting back and forth with another group of guys as we met at different hunt sites looking for old coins.
I cant its past the 14 days.

I had the same problem with my phone, it turned out it was my SD card that was giving me errors, try to connect your phone without the SD card if you have one and see if that helps
I will try that thx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Speaking from experience with Verizon on my last go around with them before this one. I had an HTC One M7 and it had a Bluetooth that wouldn't work worth a darn. I have a business and it had to work. I found out that since Verizon doesn't exactly rush out updated software for their phones and HTC had at that point admitted they had upgraded the Bluetooth I went into the store about 3 weeks after buying the phone and told them about my problem. Their online troubleshooters had told me the phone wasn't going to work so I headed back to the store. They told me it was past the 14 days and I just laughed at the guy and told him to get his manager. I told him my findings backed up by two printouts of the problem taken off the web and told him to get me a different phone if they couldn't update the software immediately. He tried to tell me about the 14 days. I told him about American Express and how fast I would stop the charges if they couldn't provide a cell phone that provided a reliable Bluetooth signal to my Jawbone. (A contract is a deal between two people to provide each of them with what the other needs as advertised and they had a phone that wouldn't work on Bluetooth which is pretty old technology. Deal broken by them.)

They had a meeting and I got my first Apple ever. A 5S. Everything is negotiable and your credit card company will stand up for you. Make them keep swapping phones for a while till you get one that works or move on. I have seen nothing in the way of the problems you have had but I'm thinking that you are dealing with the same store and you have 3 or 4 phones that were made one after the other and since Verizon doesn't advertise the phone no one but you is getting them. Call corporate and tell them your situation and get them to send you a new phone from somewhere besides the store. If it's already happened I'm not sure what kind of luck you are having. My phone has been the best one I've had so far in my all around opinion of it. Apple was very reliable (my original 5S) but I prefer the One to my new 6 Plus.

cookiemonsterMoA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I finaly got a chance to try this and still not good. When I look in device manager I get "Other Device " HTC6995LVW twice.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
"Take your phone back already. No one keeps a phone they are having this many problems that no one else has unless they are selling an idea... Not buying.. I have the new Apple Plus w/64. I had a long road trip yesterday with a friend. Other then Google maps just smoking "Here Drive" I played with my HTC One almost the whole time. Of course I'm not over on Apple's forum bashing their new phone. Why if I prefer the HTC One for Windows? It's a very nice phone. I just find the One a bit more eloquent and perfect sized for my hand. The guy I was with freaked out on how well Cortana handled text messages without messing up even his words when he was driving. We were texting back and forth with another group of guys as we met at different hunt sites looking for old coins. "

Can I ask where you are from and why you say google maps smokes HERE maps? I have the exact opposite experience, cause I am forced to use google at work, and when it doesn't work I pull out HERE on my phone it works flawless. I also here very few people complaining of garmin gps which also uses HERE maps as database, unless your just talking features. Did you make sure you downloaded updated maps for your phone? It doesn't do that automatically its something you have to peridiocally go and update. I pull google maps right off their website so its all up to date and it consistently sends me to the wrong place or doesn't have info for newer addresses all the time but HERE maps will beat it on most the time on pure data.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask where you are from and why you say google maps smokes HERE maps? I have the exact opposite experience, cause I am forced to use google at work, and when it doesn't work I pull out HERE on my phone it works flawless. I also here very few people complaining of garmin gps which also uses HERE maps as database, unless your just talking features. Did you make sure you downloaded updated maps for your phone? It doesn't do that automatically its something you have to peridiocally go and update. I pull google maps right off their website so its all up to date and it consistently sends me to the wrong place or doesn't have info for newer addresses all the time but HERE maps will beat it on most the time on pure data.
Here maps is ok IMO, but count me as another who just prefers Google maps. I've used both throughout the southwest and pacific northwest in my travels and I think Google has the edge over Here. One feature of Google I really like is the guidance tells you what side of the road you need to be on for your address. Really helps in a strange place when traffic is busy and roads are crowded. It's the only thing(app) I really miss coming over from android a year ago.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Here maps is ok IMO, but count me as another who just prefers Google maps. I've used both throughout the southwest and pacific northwest in my travels and I think Google has the edge over Here. One feature of Google I really like is the guidance tells you what side of the road you need to be on for your address. Really helps in a strange place when traffic is busy and roads are crowded. It's the only thing(app) I really miss coming over from android a year ago.

Sure but technically HERE has more data its a fact, and they are actually based in the US out of Chicago. I do believe HERE actually used to have that option back when it was on Symbian but got lost in the move, that being said where I'm from and work numbers are on specific sides of the road 99% of the time I mean like North and East are even South and West odd.... .may not be like that everywhere but I drive for a living so its something I use everyday, also google's offline option nowhere near as good as HERE, most people just don't bother to download the hard copy to their phone so they miss out on that. And are you talking about HERE maps or DRIVE they are 2 separate apps dunno why but they are.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
"

Well for one thing I can just move my finger on the map to offer an alternative route and it goes to it. I cannot move a route to save my soul on "Here Drive".

I'm from the Midwestern U. S. also to answer that question.

I have a pretty good bit of information from GM that they are also responsible for my crappy Navigation in my new Chevrolet truck. It appears they wrote the software. It's awful. Can't get an ETA for anything. Never close.

If I'm just missing the boat on using "Here" maybe you can send me to a site with instructions. There's sure nothing intuitive about it.

MG

Last edited:

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Well for one thing I can just move my finger on the map to offer an alternative route and it goes to it. I cannot move a route to save my soul on "Here Drive".

I'm from the Midwestern U. S. also to answer that question.

I have a pretty good bit of information from GM that they are also responsible for my crappy Navigation in my new Chevrolet truck. It appears they wrote the software. It's awful. Can't get an ETA for anything. Never close.

If I'm just missing the boat on using "Here" maybe you can send me to a site with instructions. There's sure nothing intuitive about it.

MG

Well like garmin and the one in your truck they don't get updated unless you manually do it and for cars it can be a huge pain or sometimes you can do it at all they all differ. Sometimes garmin adds in their own stuff. But as far as raw street data like having streets in there that may not be in other gps data HERE pretty much beats everything. I don't really know how intuitive it is compared to google maps, I just use the google website at work and it doesn't have navigation its just maps and compared to the maps on my phone it gets beat constantly. I'm pretty sure HERE drive has options like that though most people wouldn't complain about it at all, but some people get HERE maps and HERE drive confused maps is just that it just brings up map and traffic data, but DRIVE is the navigation, It might be missing a couple features but considered one of the best and then has better data than everyone so I prefer to have the most data and streets over some possible nice features that aren't really needed. But I don't use drive enough to say it has all that usually it picks very good routes compared to other phones that ive compared it to. Supposedly has some of the best most up to date traffic info too compared to others but I believe google does pretty well in both these areas. I just mean I don't think google completely beats it if at all, if anything its a close race on all accounts. But HERE wins out in the offline stuff so if you ever traveled big areas with no cell signal for miles it beats everything.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well like garmin and the one in your truck they don't get updated unless you manually do it and for cars it can be a huge pain or sometimes you can do it at all they all differ. Sometimes garmin adds in their own stuff. But as far as raw street data like having streets in there that may not be in other gps data HERE pretty much beats everything. I don't really know how intuitive it is compared to google maps, I just use the google website at work and it doesn't have navigation its just maps and compared to the maps on my phone it gets beat constantly. I'm pretty sure HERE drive has options like that though most people wouldn't complain about it at all, but some people get HERE maps and HERE drive confused maps is just that it just brings up map and traffic data, but DRIVE is the navigation, It might be missing a couple features but considered one of the best and then has better data than everyone so I prefer to have the most data and streets over some possible nice features that aren't really needed. But I don't use drive enough to say it has all that usually it picks very good routes compared to other phones that ive compared it to. Supposedly has some of the best most up to date traffic info too compared to others but I believe google does pretty well in both these areas. I just mean I don't think google completely beats it if at all, if anything its a close race on all accounts. But HERE wins out in the offline stuff so if you ever traveled big areas with no cell signal for miles it beats everything.

I mentioned "Here Drive" on purpose as I had a feeling you were talking about map details. Pretty worthless when you cannot get the mapping software on "Here Drive" to skip the wrong route no matter how hard you try. Just one turn and the trip fits the 4 hours and 8 minutes the old Garmin has known about for years. Just try and make it take 73 down in Missouri and it will take the longer way around (Highway 13) no matter how you punch it.

Here's a picture of the argument. First up is the Apple showing GoogleMaps overview picture where it shows the route you could choose along with two other alternate routes you can use by dragging your finger to the other road. All three routes are much better then the one HereDrive chooses for you.
6plusGooglemappic.jpg

Now this is the map that HereDrive selects for you showing it pass up the site and then take a highway back towards where it needs to go. And yes I have played with every criteria for road selections I could find. It does match the problems I'm having in my new Chevy truck which they have indicated was supplied by Here. I had to zoom in on this map to show the critical mapping mistake as it tried to angle back towards the route it should have plotted.
HtcOneHereDrive.jpg

My apologies for the dusty phone as I didn't use a flash or anything else to make them look shinier. :)

I think once you see the difference you'll see it isn't much of a contest between Google and HereDrive. And it would make my day for Here to update their Driving program. I am biased against Google but right now they own mapping for cars. Show me something on HereDrive that I can't find anywhere. I've tried inserting things in the route but I am clueless on how to make it work the way I need it to. GoogleMaps is just plain friendly. As far as the update you alluded to the phone as you must know is a mostly brand new HTC One and the truck is a 2015 Silverado so it's not an old map database. Lots of details but no serious programming abilities when asked to figure routes.

MG

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I love WAZE on Windows Phone and also IOS(I used it previously). It will recognizes your routine and able to recommend alternate routes anytime. Plus you can report all kinds of road activity for everyone else to see.

Too bad Google bought them and they will stop supporting the app. Get it while you can.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Me thinks this thread just needs to be closed. It went from someone needing some help to make their M8 work to bashing every possible thing, relevant or not, about anything. VZW customer service, Here Maps, Chevy Trucks even got in on the action I think...

I mean seriously, we have a dude that threatened Verizon with a chargeback due to his Bluetooth headset not working with an Android device - so he got an iPhone? Then the guy that has an issue with Here Maps vs. Google Maps on an iPhone? And the OP that has one of the most defective phones in the history of mankind? Someone stop the madness!

On a side note, to Mallguvner, when I hit map on Here, it gives me three options on almost every route I put in. These are usually shortest, fastest and balanced... I bet your Here is set to balanced or fastest - which is sometimes not faster - instead of shortest.

WP_20141022_10_46_15_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire