So far this is the worst phone I've ever had.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Me thinks this thread just needs to be closed. It went from someone needing some help to make their M8 work to bashing every possible thing, relevant or not, about anything. VZW customer service, Here Maps, Chevy Trucks even got in on the action I think...

I mean seriously, we have a dude that threatened Verizon with a chargeback due to his Bluetooth headset not working with an Android device - so he got an iPhone? Then the guy that has an issue with Here Maps vs. Google Maps on an iPhone? And the OP that has one of the most defective phones in the history of mankind? Someone stop the madness!

On a side note, to Mallguvner, when I hit map on Here, it gives me three options on almost every route I put in. These are usually shortest, fastest and balanced... I bet your Here is set to balanced or fastest - which is sometimes not faster - instead of shortest.

View attachment 85372

That's dialogue box you showed is worthless for any route changes such as the one showed in the pictures. Be assured that it was the first place I turned to in an attempt to get a better route. Please grab data off the maps in my pictures and show us how to correct the route with your dialogue box. If there's something I missed besides your dialogue box I sure welcome the learning experience. I was even hoping someone might have an online place that gave instructions to Here Drive.

Sounds like you have a problem with getting what you paid for and having the guts to ask for it. Also sounds like you're adding up my contributions as a complete problem to your thinking of your phone. Contact GM. Your hero app "Here Drive" is the culprit. That's the only reason Chevy got into this thread.

If you got a phone for your business and it didn't work and you were under a contract you don't suppose you're entitled to a phone that works? The Bluetooth really didn't work on the M7 in many cases before HTC fixed it. I'm a full time repairman at my business. Bluetooth isn't a luxury. It's a necessity. Verizon wasn't willing to update it. Have you ever heard of Verizon not updating something? Research it. I guess maybe we're supposed to be silent and eat the bad phone and above all not comment on it??? The guy supposedly has had the worst run of phone problems in history. Verizon should fix it. My opinion only. Keep it to myself???

Maybe I should go elsewhere if fan boys control the group think here. No problem by me. If a moderator contacts me and thinks that I'm not a fair guy with fair opinions I'll leave. No problem. I see guys on here bashing the phone all the time and they don't even have the phone.

So instead of asking someone to close the thread why don't you post a few pictures showing others that I was mistaken about Here Drive and quit assuming I didn't play with all of the settings in an attempt to get it to choose an alternate route. Did you look at the route above? I put enough information on it for anyone that knows more then I do about Here Drive to get it to do the proper route if that's even possible which I don't think it is. Send me a message for the actual starting and ending points and I'll be happy to let you teach me. Be warned though. Here Drive likes to back track and eat up the clock.

MG

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if that came across to rude, but we really don't need anymore of the "so-and-so is better than x" threads. We have way too many of those lurking around here already.

Since I have no idea where you are going, I can only base it off what I can map... So, for example... I started in 98272 and went to Woodland Park Zoo.

Image one is Drive set to FASTER ROUTE - option one in my image in the above post...
wp_ss_20141024_0001.jpg

Image two is Drive set to SHORTER ROUTE - option two in my image in the above post...
wp_ss_20141024_0002.jpg

And an FYI, I do use my phone for business. I know how important it is, but when I get a new phone, I take a week and make sure that that lifeline is exactly what I want it to be, before the return period is over. If I was having serious issues with Bluetooth connectivity - even with my laptop - I would return it after a few days. If it randomly dropped calls, it would be gone. Same thing with data connection issues.

As far as closing this up, my point was this thread was becoming a bashing section about things that had nothing to do with the M8 and that was why I thought the MOD's should jump in before it became a bashing thread. But since that has passed... Let's try and help a bit more...

As far as the truck goes, if you haven't done so, download the new maps. GM is always releasing updates for your GPS system in the vehicle - just like Here Maps updates the maps on our phones. You can download the newest maps here - GM Onboard Navigation - if you haven't already.

From your device, try opening the routes from Here Drive instead of Here Maps - then select the route change. Google allows for redrawing routes based on finger sliding but Here does not, nor does Maps (Bing Maps). Maps and Here only allow for reroute after turning or based on route preference changes - which if you know the freeway that cuts across the middle of your image, you can take it and it will reroute you - offline. Google doesn't have that option since the area you traced is too large to offload.

Hopefully you can figure out a solution that works for you and get rolling with it and again, sorry if that came across to harsh.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I took it as rude and sorry if I came back a bit strong. I don't have any time right now to play with it but will later on tonight. If I see something to look at I'll be tickled. I will message you my co-ordinates to see if there's something I'm missing if it seems you're on to something. GM has been of no help with updates just blame. You won't find me on the Apple forum so don't take the picture of the IPhone wrong. I know what it can do but I've always been a Windows guy. I bash things that don't work at times a little too aggressively I'm sure. Just me being me. I don't sit on the fence well at all. Either your best friend or your worst enemy.

I really want Windows to fix it here. Even if they just get to be a better player in the phone market we'll all win from the competition.

cookiemonsterMoA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Well lets add one more thing to the list. I was on the phone searching for something on the web. I locked the screen and put it back in the holster. maybe 30 min or so went to use the phone and now its DEAD. Cant power it on at all.

Also thx for hijacking the thread. :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I am not really believing your story.

Too many things go wrong for you and its every single device replacement. So either you are sabotaging them or you are making things up.

Just my opinion, but none of it adds up.

Last edited:

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well lets add one more thing to the list. I was on the phone searching for something on the web. I locked the screen and put it back in the holster. maybe 30 min or so went to use the phone and now its DEAD. Cant power it on at all.

Also thx for hijacking the thread. :)

You could start another thread just like the other two here already bashing the phone... Your credibility is probably at zero by now and no one would answer it this time so the chance of having your "complaint factory" being hijacked isn't so much... (I heard Samsung going to online forums trashing HTC in all sorts of ways..) You don't think???

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-fined/

cookiemonsterMoA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I am not really believing your story.

Too many things go wrong for you and its every single device replacement. So either you are sabotaging them or you are making things up.

Just my opinion, but none of it adds up.

well you don't have to believe me but all these things do happen and have happened when im on the phone with Verizon and HTC. You can believe what you want I really don't care.

cookiemonsterMoA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
You could start another thread just like the other two here already bashing the phone... Your credibility is probably at zero by now and no one would answer it this time so the chance of having your "complaint factory" being hijacked isn't so much... (I heard Samsung going to online forums trashing HTC in all sorts of ways..) You don't think???
My credibility is zero because I have legitimate problems. I started this post and if I want to add another problem to my list I feel I can. So I guess my wife and I live on another planet because we have problems with the phone. So you mean to tell me you never had 1 of these problems when some are known problems.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
well you don't have to believe me but all these things do happen and have happened when im on the phone with Verizon and HTC. You can believe what you want I really don't care.

I know you don't care, it wasn't my intent to make you care in the first place. Look at the logic in this:

You claim that no matter how many replacements you have:

The proximity sensor malfunctions.
Vibrate is very weak.

Do you know what the chances are that this would happen to every replacement, and to two people who know each other? The vibrate is subjective I know, but when people can HEAR my phone vibrate from across the room, its not what I call weak. Maybe your pockets are padded.

As for the proximity sensor, what you describe is a bad one. That is fine, but you claim it happens to your wife too, and your replacements. Yet, other people do not have these issues and even if they did, the chances of having it on a replacement are very, very low. Yet somehow you and your wife manage to defy laws of probability. You also deny that it is how you are using it (yet Ive seen proximity sensor malfunctions with my wife because of how she uses it, holding it away from her ear).

The Windows issue? I am sorry, but its either a PC issue or a user issue. It is not the phone's fault. My knee jerk reaction to that is that either you have apps installed on the sd card (in which case removing the sd card and plugging in should detect it), you are using the cable it didn't come with, or you are plugging it into a usb3 port. USB3 ports, despite the standard calling for backwards compatibility, isn't always so.

You said 21! days ago that you thought about going back to your Droid 3. Instead, you have continued to complain. A sane person would have moved back to the Droid 3, because at least it works for you, while constantly hounding Verizon and HTC for a different device (yes they will do that with persistence).

Now you are adding issues instead of being proactive.

This is why I no longer believe the story. You aren't getting a solution, you aren't finding others with the issue other than your wife, and you are just piling on additional issues instead of moving to another device like you said you were thinking about 21 days ago.

Side story:
My sister in law has inherited several of my smartphones over the years. At one point, she killed 3 of them within a short period, all with the same issue: they stopped charging. No water damage, etc. She pointed the finger at me, but then she got another device elsewhere and killed it too.
Turns out her charger was frying the usb ports. The point of this story is that just because we don't think we cause the issue, doesn't mean we didn't.

My wife has inherited two Note devices from me. Both of them have proximity sensor issues with her turning on and allowing her cheek to end the call. As it turned out, it was due to her not laying the phone flat against her ear because it interfered with her hearing aids (she has been 50% deaf almost her entire life). She blamed the phone until I showed her. Now she uses a wallet case that she can close and keep talking to people. Problem solved.

If these issues are real, you really need to consider the idea that it is caused with how you are using it. It is always easy to point fingers at everyone and everything but ourselves.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
So you mean to tell me you never had 1 of these problems when some are known problems.

Which ones?

The driver issue is known across Nokia devices too, but is rare, which implies there is another source for the issue.
Vibration? Subjective.
Ringtone? Solved by using a louder one.
Conference call issues? Haven't seen or heard of them.
Battery died in 30 minutes? Was it because the battery was at 10% with the screen on when you put it in the holster?
Proximity sensor issues? All phones have them, when a user uses the phone not as intended, or has a defective one. In which case a replacement takes care of it. The chances of truly having bad proximity sensors across three phones and two people who know each other and live together is insanely unlikely. Nobody else is reporting this issue. Do you not find that odd?

I want to add another problem to my list I feel I can.

Absolutely. Just understand your credibility starts dropping because nobody simply continues to add on issues with a device without resorting to using another device. If you can reproduce these issues to Verizon, while they are there, and they cannot fix them with replacements, they are going to let you into another device. Especially if it happens to two people.

21 days of zero solutions...why are you still on this device? It doesn't make any sense.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
He's still on the device because he paid '$600' for the blasted thing. Sure you can talk the '$100' contract price instead, but honestly, he paid VZW a crap ton of cash for the phone and it should work right. I've tried walking through him through the basics, but I think his particular store had a bad run of M8's with faulty prox sensors. It happens and most of Cookie's issues seem to be based on sensor errors, so I'm putting that out there.

Now it's up to VZW to step up and take care of him. If they don't, I think he should take that M8, and his lines and cross over to T-Mobile. That's the only 'pain' that VZW feels. If they continue to bleed customers, maybe they will take care of things like this instead of dragging them out past the return period and then sticking you with the issue. Remember when return periods were 30 days and there was no restock fee!?

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
He's still on the device because he paid '$600' for the blasted thing. Sure you can talk the '$100' contract price instead, but honestly, he paid VZW a crap ton of cash for the phone and it should work right. I've tried walking through him through the basics, but I think his particular store had a bad run of M8's with faulty prox sensors. It happens and most of Cookie's issues seem to be based on sensor errors, so I'm putting that out there.

Now it's up to VZW to step up and take care of him. If they don't, I think he should take that M8, and his lines and cross over to T-Mobile. That's the only 'pain' that VZW feels. If they continue to bleed customers, maybe they will take care of things like this instead of dragging them out past the return period and then sticking you with the issue. Remember when return periods were 30 days and there was no restock fee!?

Hence why I mentioned that he should be talking to Verizon. They are not going to to keep him in a phone that is broken. Let him show them that it is broken, let them replace it and see that it is broken, let them see his wife's phone is broken. Instead it seems like he is just adding to the laundry list. That doesn't help anything whatsoever.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
True that it may not help, but it may be helping him keep sane while dealing with he goobers at VZW.

I remember my Moto Q issue when I upgraded to a Vista laptop... I went first to Verizon and made sure that the device was going to work with a new OS. They said it wouldn't be problem. Then after it didn't sync anymore, I called Verizon support who said it was a Windows issue and to call MS support. MS said to call Motorola, it was their issue. Then Moto told me to go back to VZW. It was a nightmare! Verizon wouldn't even budge when I got Microsoft and Moto to tell them that the phone isn't compatible and the Verizon tech was mistaken.

Finally after taking my laptop, phone and cables in to a VZW store, plopping them down on the support desk and saying - fix this... The tech said he couldn't get it to work and the store gave me the best smartphone they had at the moment - the BlackBerry Pearl. No charge and no extensions.

matty032

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
I got the misses the M8. Best phone she, or I have had period. I could upgrade my X8, to the M8. But kinda waiting on MS to see what they come up with, since buying out Nokia. Can't decide, grrrr
Sent from my Windows Phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99