Hello All, I have some questions, many Ive asked before in comment threads, but I feel it would be beneficial to put them all in one place, not only for my benefit, but also for those with the same or similar questions.

Since the U.S. will likely not see the Lumia 930 surface on AT&T, and this fall brings a large number of people with Lumia 920s to an update period, I think some things need to be answered and set straight. Personally I have been waffling, do I get the HTC One M8, or do I hold off? I am certain I am not alone with this deliberation.

Does/Will the M8 support Voice activated Cortana such as the 930 or capable Lumia phones with Denim?

Ive heard that the M8 uses the volume rocker as a camera button, does this extend to the Windows phone Version as well?

Camera Quality, how does it compare to my Lumia 920s Pureview Camera with OIS? The low mp count scares me, even though I understand they are larger pixels.

Developer Preview, will continued support exist for it? Or is there risk that MS will make that a Lumia only kinda thing?

HTC Support history (This is a big one, and especially speculative, I understand), since it seems there were problems with rolling out WP8.1 to the HTC 8X/S, was that something contained to that platform for a reason? Will the M8 risk a similar fate?

Qi Charging. Is there any-way to add Qi capability to the phone? Ive seen some images of some tacky looking glue on coils which obscure the usb port when installed.

What would you do.? Wait until Springs MWC, and see what new things are to be offered, then wait for AT&T to get the devices to their line up? Get the HTC M8 and put up with the above concerns? Or step down to the 830, and yes, I do consider the Lumia 830 a step down from my 920. (Cant remember, does the 830 offer Hey Cortana and easy-add qi charging?)

If I think of anymore questions, Ill add them as needed, or try to consolidate others questions as well up here.

Thanks!

IL
    weaksauce27 likes this.
    10-14-2014 09:52 AM
    830 will have Qi, (unless AT&T reverts to form), but not "Hey Cortana", which requires the 800 level processors.

Camera looks to be good on the 830, maybe slightly improved, though it won't take advantage of the high res Denim/Lumia Camera advancements.

Also, from the pics I've seen, it looks like too many design languages thrown in a blender at once. Blech.

Certainly seems like the M8 cam is good enough...but having the 928 and now Icon those extra megapixels can make a difference when cropping down. Depending on where you put mobile photography, it might be a pain point.
    10-14-2014 10:02 AM
    Does/Will the M8 support Voice activated Cortana such as the 930 or capable Lumia phones with Denim?
    Yes, it is a 8.1 OS feature not device specific.

I’ve heard that the M8 uses the volume rocker as a camera button, does this extend to the Windows phone Version as well?
    No dedicated camera button that I am aware of, have to use onscreen button.

Camera Quality, how does it compare to my Lumia 920’s Pureview Camera with OIS? The low mp count scares me, even though I understand they are larger pixels.
    Camera is decent for everyday shots - if your an average user it will be just fine.

Developer Preview, will continued support exist for it? Or is there risk that MS will make that a Lumia only kinda thing?
    Yes, it will be available. OS not device specific

HTC Support history (This is a big one, and especially speculative, I understand), since it seems there were problems with rolling out WP8.1 to the HTC 8X/S, was that something contained to that platform for a reason? Will the M8 risk a similar fate?
    Nullified by DP

Qi Charging. Is there any-way to add Qi capability to the phone? I’ve seen some images of some tacky looking glue on coils which obscure the usb port when installed.
    Unknown - but the M8 does not have the guts for it - It would have to be a case with the Qi built in, that also plugged into the phone - so this option isn't looking good.
    10-14-2014 10:03 AM
    With that many reservations about the M8 I'd say to just stand fast until something that meets more of your needs comes about. The M8 is an awesome device, but it's not for everyone especially if wireless charging and megapixels are your thing.
    10-14-2014 10:06 AM
    With that many reservations about the M8 I'd say to just stand fast until something that meets more of your needs comes about. The M8 is an awesome device, but it's not for everyone especially if wireless charging and megapixels are your thing.
    I can overcome wireless charging, even though I do love it. And the megapixel thing is just a number, seems from a coworker with his Android that the images are on par to my phone.

I just don't want to regret my purchased phone a year into a2 year contract. My l920 left me with out regrets, and it feels good. :) but I'm also a tech junkie. And wouldn't mind an 'upgrade'. :)
    10-14-2014 11:56 AM
    Regarding wireless charging I found with the ICON it came in handy simply because the ICON went thru battery so fast, a couple mid day boosts were needed. With the M8 I only need to charge by plug in at night so Qi charging is irrelevant IMO. Regarding the camera the ICON camera is definitely top notch and takes great shots. My M8 camera also takes great shots when outside in good light which is where 99% of my pics happen anyway, so the cam def depends on your needs. As for being able to rouse Cortana by saying "hey Cortana", yikes who the F needs that? People who say "hey Google" already look ridiculous as it is. I'm fine with a long press of the search button to get cortana. The M8 as is, is such a smooth running device with such excellent battery life I wouldn't care if it never got an update, its great as is, just my .02 as I know everyone else drools over updates and scrolls thru forums daily looking for signs or info on the next one. As the poster above stated the M8 is definitely not for everyone, but I love mine and am very happy with it. Runs circles around my old ICON which I also loved.
    10-14-2014 12:02 PM
    That's interesting to hear, since the 930 would be an arguably similar device to the icon.
    10-14-2014 02:20 PM
    That's interesting to hear, since the 930 would be an arguably similar device to the icon.
    Yikes, my bad. Thought you were comparing getting the icon.
    10-14-2014 02:38 PM
    I came over from the M7 Android and do have a second phone line with the new Apple 6 +. To me if you are already happy with the amount of apps available at the Windows Store I can't think of a reason to not have it since you said you were happy with your friends M8 photo's. It's an awesome phone and it has better resolution then the best Apple. It uses 2/3 of the battery in a day and I'm constantly on mine reading news, checking color weather radar, emails, etc. I have had battery back up cases on all my phones for several years now and this one doesn't need it. It also actually feels like a luxury item. I will say the glass screen protector I got from Verizon is starting to show it might come off. Steer clear of that. I'll return to the cheap screens as it appears to only have a 30 day warranty for it's $24 price tag. I bought the I-Blason rubbery feeling case as it's too nice of a phone to leave unprotected. Cortana and it's sound speakers make it something you'll most likely never regret.

Good luck with a tough decision.. I'd go pick it up and play with it in a store comparing it to the other choices. It's just made really well. Speaking of AT&T, what have you heard for the timeline on them getting it?

MG
    10-14-2014 08:39 PM