10-15-2014 11:30 PM
32 12
tools
    I'm seriously laughing at Superboy here... As someone that has more Windows Phone's than I know what to do with, I feel like I can answer this one a bit more than the next guy...

So, OP, here you go...

1) Yes, the One gets VERY hot when doing something that is processor intensive. One of the draw backs to going Quad-Core and speedy. Fortunately, the back of the device (being all aluminum) works almost as well as a heat sync does on older computers. Yes, the body gets hot, but it keeps the innards a bit cooler. I've not really noticed the heat doing basic things like you mentioned, but more during extreme gaming and such, it gets downright hot.

2) The feel of the One is probably the biggest reason I want to keep it. The smooth metal finish is just awesome. I hate it when I cover it with my Dot View case, but I do that to show off Cortana. The swipe down to access her really impresses a ton of people for some reason. I also have a gel case for it that covers it nicely and protects the camera a bit more by propping it off the ground a bit higher.

3) The Camera - the first question I have is if you are using the HTC App or the MS Camera App. If you are using the stock camera App, try shooting with a Lumia and the stock App as well. The pictures turn out about 5% as good as they do with Nokia Pro Cam. Nokia tweaked the firmware and their camera App to make the most of the camera. The M8 is the same way - firmware and camera Apps were tweaked, but not the standard Windows Apps. If you aren't using the HTC App, you aren't using the Duo Cam and the features that work with it. For even more proof of the firmware changes, you can try ProCam out and see that the flash doesn't quite work right. Again, an HTC edit to the firmware to make their App better.

Here's where the real problem lies though... You went into a store wanting an Icon. You were told you couldn't get one. You settled on something else that wasn't really what you wanted and left. The only solution for this is to return the M8, because nothing that anyone tells you will make you happy with the choice that you did not want to make.

So, return the M8 and order the Icon from Amazon - Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia Icon, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories - before they sell out. Just make sure that VZW gets your upgrade back in the system when you return the M8.

I hate to see an unhappy M8 user go without a fight, but I'm happier to see an iPhone user come to Windows Phone and get the device they really want.
    10-15-2014 12:08 PM
    Ativ(original), Ativ Odyssey, Ativ Neo, and Ativ SE.....not to mention their original Windows Phone 7 line-up :)
    Samsung is mediocre and not someone I'd choose personally but they have had way more consistency and have added a bit more to their windows phone(I seem to remember them adding a few features such as Folders before it became apart of the OS and supposedly Samsung did it better than Lumia). Samsung didn't just DROP or take a break.

I don't personally like them but I do respect them enough to give praise where praise is due...even if it is very minute.
    I support any OEM who has done something useful for the platform. I'll recommend Lumia to anyone because of this but because the Icon is not easily gotten, I will recommend the SE over the M8 hands down :)

When HTC actually earns back some of the respect they lost in the WP7 and the 8x eras, then i'd recommend them.
    has nothing to do with my "bias", it has everything to do with the fact that HTC has burned a lot of users. A fact that M8 owners try to either ignore or make excuses for :)

"They didn't have MS giving them money to pay them like Nokia."

And yet they were here long before there was a lumia and look at them now :D 3rd place on the the 3rd place OS lol
    Samsung has only made Windows Phones as a way to appease Microsoft for their android licensing costs, which is why the coincidently decided to use Nokia as an excuse to not pay right as their cell phone business began to sputter (take look at their recent earnings). They also haven't put an ounce of effort into it, as they are basically repurposing old android hardware instead of creating a unique phone or, even better, just throwing their current flagship out there with Windows Phone. There support is no better than HTC for Windows Phone, and they may even be worse for Android.

You're not doing anyone any favors recommending Samsung, especially on Verizon, especially when there is a new flagship that is actually getting broadly released. We're not talking GSM phones here, we have to deal with Verizon (which sucks) AND Samsung (not known for timely updates). At least Microsoft has a TON of leverage on HTC and they seem to be working very closely to make the M8 awesome (evidence: HTC dot cover getting more updates, Windows Phone tailored to work with it).

At least we have a chance of getting 8.1 on the Icon, and already have it on the HTC One m8

PSA - Don't Install windows 8.1 on the Samsung ATIV SE on Verizon
    Adrynalyne, scotiez and cbreze like this.
    10-15-2014 02:01 PM
    Sorry for any conflict that arose. No, I do not know Superboy. I am not sure where the issue came in from about the phones? I did take up on the advice that was given and I visited our local At&t store. They only had the green 1520 in stock. I thought that to be a bit ostentatious, so I passed on it. I decided to take M8 back, and decided on the Samsung Note, when I discovered that they did have an Icon in stock after all at this store and were still selling them.

Now am the proud owner of an Icon and already enjoying this phone. I think the M8 was a nice product and I even woke up this morning enjoying it a bit better than i did yesterday. But for me, I just couldn't fully enjoy it and I didn't want to settle for less. I also checked the Samsung windows out and that was pretty nice. It's good that there are 3 great choices for those of us who want a little variety in our mobile life. I am just glad I am on Edge. Faster upgrades means I might get an HTC next time. Out the door and 3 hours later, the Icon is wowing me away.
    xboxonthego3 and waazzupppp like this.
    10-15-2014 03:14 PM
    Having 8.1 official is good but I don't necessarily consider that a pro seeing as that is why we have the dp and I see no difference in my 1520 with 8.1 official vs my bf icon with dp. Difference is I have cyan and he doesn't lol :)
    And from our eexperience, battery life is excellent(though I have a stronger battery than he does) on the icon.
    SLightly faster is subjective to most and most Lumia owners have no issues with speed and the only real noticeable difference is not the os itself but in the camera apps but id take slower for a much better camera vs a faster camera with crappy quality.
    Most of htcs plusses are subjective and truthfully don't make it a better device :)

Now the speakers and SD card definitely are plusses though the speakers are a gimmick to me :)

Man, you are relentless I'll give you that much.
    10-15-2014 05:40 PM
    I'll disagree that the speakers are gimmick... They really do sound great and making watching media a ton of fun on the M8... That said, if you don't do much gaming, music or movie watching on the phone, they aren't useful. That's different than a gimmick item though.
    Mallguvner likes this.
    10-15-2014 05:48 PM
    The speakers are great. Best gimmick ever! I would have a tough time deciding on my next phone as great speakers are now a requirement. Gimmick or not they make the whole experience much more satisfying. My icon's speaker sound quality while ok, really left something to be desired after being spoiled by my M8. :)
    10-15-2014 09:56 PM
    Temporarily closed for review.
    10-15-2014 11:30 PM
32 12