New M8 Owner, bit disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gramt Scorpio

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Windows Phone but not to the forums. I have been viewing as a guest and finally decided to officially join after I purchased my first windows phone yesterday.

I've been following this platform as long as it has been in existence. My fiancee had one of the first Windows Phones, the HTC surround and has had many more like the focus, Radar, and mostly all the major lumia devices. At the time, I was curious but not enough to leave Android and now apple.

Until yesterday. My iPhone 5 glitched out on me and it was time for a new phone so I decided I'd give windows a try. Most apps I need are already here or there are wonderful alternatives, so I am not to bothered for missing a game or two. It'll mean I may become a bit more useful in my time besides playing candy crush lol. I go to the store to purchase the Icon and I immediately get pushed towards apple/android products by my customer service helper. I make it clear, I am there for the Icon. My Fiancee is a huge fan of Lumia and I am blown away by the quality of their hardware and excellent camera and I've heard spectacular things about Nokia products.

I discover that the Icon is no longer being sold. The store was out of stock and would not be getting anymore. He then tried to push me towards a few android devices, but I was dead set on Windows Phone. So i winded up leaving with the HTC One M8 for Windows.

Beautiful device, Excellent hardware, and I enjoyed the speakers. But about 6 hours later, I found myself frustrated. It is a bit hot to touch for various activities as simple as Skype Calls. I am not a fan of how it feels in my hand for long periods of time and this camera....makes me long for my iPhone 5.

We had a dinner to celebrate my fiancee's promotion and while the pictures are passable enough, it was annoying. Having to retake several photos because it was grainy or not enough light so the photos were dark. Maybe good enough for instagram, but not something I'd want to send to my friends and save to Flickr, tumblr and my other social networks where I am used to having a great camera phone.

My Fiancee pulled out his Lumia 928, and the pictures blew me away with the quality and I was left disappointed with my phone. Aside from amazing speakers, I am left underwhelmed by this phone. I read that HTC has shaky support with windows phone and having been burned by HTC in the past, it makes me wary.

It's not a bad phone but I am just not immediately amazed with it as I expected. This is such a wonderful Operating system but I really wanted an Icon and I am left settling for this phone to experience Windows Phone.
I'm considering returning it. Will there be any other Windows Phone from Nokia released soon? Is the Samsung phone a good device? If not, I am contemplating getting the new note.

This is a very nice looking phone with nice speakers but I am not impressed beyond that :/

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
You can still purchase the icon from the Microsoft store for Verizon, just the stores are stopping sales, so get it while you can, I agree the Nokia experience is the best for windows phone, I love my 1520 hardware and the icon is the same pretty much. I also believe you can still get on Amazon mobile for Verizon as well, you would need to first make sure it's available and if so return your current phone while in the return period, our see if they can get one shipped in from another store.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe pick up a Lumia 822 on eBay for little money and give it a try. It's now inexpensive Windows Phone goodness. No harm done if you want to upgrade from the 822.

I'm waiting and hoping for the next generation of amazing Windows Phones. (I guess, we are always going to expect something better than what we currently have.)
Best Wishes.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL careful you may not get the best answers here in the M8 forum(I'd have posted this in the Icon :p)

But in truth, if you can find an Icon online...I'd try and get it. I am sure they are relatively cheaper used :) You shouldn't settle if that isn't the phone you want and I'd hate to lose a Windows Phone owner for settling.

My boyfriend and a friend both brought M8 and later returned them for Icons. Most m8 users will try and spit out some excuse that its camera is good enough for social networking and all that and perhaps it is.

But if you need to make excuses for what is an obvious weakness, that is kind of sad in my opinion :)

The M8 is a good phone, however, as you said above HTC has shaky support when it comes to Windows Phone and really up until last year, they had shaky support even with their android devices.

I personally will recommend Lumia devices to everyone I can since Lumia devices make up 95 percent of the windows phones and it comes from a well-respected OEM who has done a lot for the platform and is now owned by Microsoft.

It's unfortunate you wanted the Icon and had to settle.

However, you should check out the Samsung ATIV Se. It's like the best of the best...It has SD card, IR blaster, and a very beautiful screen with a much better camera than the M8 :) It's no Lumia and I am no fan of Samsung but I now am pushing Samsung to my friends and family and anyone I can who are on Verizon.

Also if you are not tied to a carrier and you want the best phone and the Icon's big brother, come on over to At&t :) The Lumia 1520 is a beast and aside from lacking a few features like the Gimmicky speakers and the 801 processor(Which really doesn't matter in most cases....), it is the best phone we have.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is shafting Lumia owners and we're stuck with the M8 for now as our flagship. Sucks, I know but hopefully the wait is worth it.

Also if you're stuck on Verizon, I believe they are getting the Lumia 730/830...I am not sure which one. if it is the 830, the Lumia is already getting great reviews if WPC is to go anything off of

(Of course, WPC also is trying to make the M8 camera sound like it is on the same level as Lumia...so ehhh :p)

Overall my advice is...Return the M8 and get the Samsung Ativ S. You're already considering a Note so you may as well get the Samsung Windows phone if you like the OS.

OR

Switch Carriers, if it is feasible and get the Lumia 1520 or Lumia 1020 from Att :)

But i'd take that M8 back and not settle for pretty but less :p

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This situation makes me wish Microsoft were a little more of a maverick. Verizon stopping sales? Announce that you can still get the Lumia icon in Microsoft stores, oh and they come unlocked, and with Cyan pre loaded. And if you already have an icon bring it by a Microsoft store to get it updated to the latest OS and firmware.
Microsoft should be out there supporting their customers picking up that ball Verizon dropped and running with it. They are flagship customers, treat them that way and win PR.

Gramt Scorpio

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I really enjoy these speakers on this phone. Never seen speakers this nice on a phone but this is not much to keep with the device as I am not happy overall with it. Just...content but missing more it feels like.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I really enjoy these speakers on this phone. Never seen speakers this nice on a phone but this is not much to keep with the device as I am not happy overall with it. Just...content but missing more it feels like.

Come join us on the Lumia side, we're cool! JK :)

In all seriousness, the M8 is a nice phone. Very nice. I think the speakers are its best feature :)
However, with that said, HTC is just not a trustworthy OEM for me and a lot of people on this site. They have left owners hanging in the Windows Phone 7 days which was only 2-2.5 years ago. They did very little with their 8x line. They released it and that was that. Zero marketing. Zero anything to make the phone feel like a unique windows phone experience.

it's actually kind of pathetic when you think about it....Samsung and HTC were the first Windows Phone OEMS and were beaten by Nokia, though Samsung does make some efforts and at least attempts to do some small things for their customers.

Keep in mind, if you decide to stay with the M8, you're choosing an OEM that still treats its customers like a 2nd class citizen. Android will be its prime focus.

This is quite obvious by their recent announcement of the desire eye thing for Android. No mentions of Windows Phone.
In fact, this could have been something that they could have brought to windows phone to achieve the same acclaim that Nokia received with the 1020 and now with the 730(even though HTC did it first, nobody is really praising HTC for the FFC).

Who knows if we'll see a Desire Eye for Windows and if we do, it'll probably come out months later :)
Your best bet is just to return it and jump to another device :D

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't sound very good at all. Are samsung phones really good? How long have you been with Windows Phone, Superboy?

Uhh I flirted around in the WP7 days but I became a ****** in 2012. My very first phone was the HTC 8x actually :)
I loved it then....it was such a pretty phone. I had it in Red and the California Blue color.

However Nokia support and cameras were all the rave so I switched to t-mobile(broke contract) and I switched and got the Lumia 810. Tbh, that was a meh phone and then I later switched to ATT(I broke contract with T-mobile) I got the Lumia 920.

First in red....then in yellow and later I got the Lumia 1020 and later in 2013, my 1520 :) Somewhere along the way I also got the Lumia 928 :p

My first phone I've ever kept for a year ever is my lumia 1520. I've had different colors but I have kept the same model for a year which is a miracle for me :D(I have owned at least 30 different android phones lol).

Lumia and Nokia/Microsoft earned my respect and it is why I can easily recommend it to people because the support is great and the reputation that they have earned from their owners :) Simply the best experience and the majority will tell you the same.

Switch if you can to another carrier and if not, go Samsung :D

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Every phone has it's strengths and weaknesses. Obviously, the M8 has a weak camera. But... the battery life is outstanding, much, much better than the Icon. It has the microsd slot, a better front facing camera, is slightly faster in performance, and has 8.1 official. I've had both and am using the M8 now, but either is a excellent phone.

Bowlegz

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Every phone has it's strengths and weaknesses. Obviously, the M8 has a weak camera. But... the battery life is outstanding, much, much better than the Icon. It has the microsd slot, a better front facing camera, is slightly faster in performance, and has 8.1 official. I've had both and am using the M8 now, but either is a excellent phone.
I hear a lot of hate towards the M8, but it really is a fine device. It may not have a great shooter but it is good enough for most things, it's hella fast, and also a supermodel. But preference is key, if it ain't for you then it ain't for you.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Having 8.1 official is good but I don't necessarily consider that a pro seeing as that is why we have the dp and I see no difference in my 1520 with 8.1 official vs my bf icon with dp. Difference is I have cyan and he doesn't lol :)
And from our eexperience, battery life is excellent(though I have a stronger battery than he does) on the icon.
SLightly faster is subjective to most and most Lumia owners have no issues with speed and the only real noticeable difference is not the os itself but in the camera apps but id take slower for a much better camera vs a faster camera with crappy quality.
Most of htcs plusses are subjective and truthfully don't make it a better device :)

Now the speakers and SD card definitely are plusses though the speakers are a gimmick to me :)

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
If you use the microsoft camera app instead of the HTC one you'll have better photos, the key difference is that the m8 doesn't have the optical image stabilization that the lumias have, but the m8 takes pictures 100 times faster than the lumias.

Htc has been very flaky on support and although i've been in communication with their dev team regarding these camera issues (all fixable via software update) there is no time frame for when they will release an update. Also third party camera apps like the Proshot and oneshot do not work correctly with the m8 because of a needed firmware update to allow things like AF lamp, Exposure and iso settings to actually be set by microsoft API. (devs are aware of this and said they are fixing, not holding breath) The icon is a great phone but it lacks cyan and you will definitely miss windows phone 8.1 vs 8.

People here will tell you that the cyan firmware update with 8.1 doesn't matter but it makes a huge difference.

I came from a lumia 928 and it was an amazing phone. Best flash of any phone i've ever used. It will be incredibly hard for any phone to top that, but i've been ok with the m8 camera quality so far. I avoid the htc camera and I just have to take 1 or 2 more pics to get the shot exact.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones, but using the m8 until Cyan or Denim come out for the Icon to fix all the problems. The m8 is much faster, runs much cooler and gets better battery life than my Icon with 8.1 dp, but lacks the great camera. It's just about what trade off you can stomach, but if you really want a great camera, consider returning the m8 and upgrading to the Icon through Microsoft or Verizon's phone support (I was told they still sell it over the phone when I called to inquire about retirement). Just know that the Icon isn't without its problems, whether it is terrible Wi-Fi on 8.1, getting very hot with any network intensive tasks, or just generally poor battery life.

Also, for the person recommending Samsung ATIV SE, please stop doing that. It may be a a hybrid between the s4 and s5, but Samsung's support isn't very good (no better than HTC), it was specially designed for VZW (m8 releasing to all carriers shows better commitment from Microsoft and HTC) and it has major problems with the developer preview (see the forum). I'm not pushing HTC, but definitely dont go Samsung until Microsoft wins their lawsuit against them for not paying android royalties

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Totally agree.
I have updated from the Icon and I love this phone.
Both are great phones but if you depend on your phone for great pictures then the Icon or any Nokia phone will more than likely out perform the M8.
Battery life for me is much better on the HTC doing the same things that I did on the Nokia. Could be the lack of Cyan (I did have the DP loaded) but skimming through the 930 forums seems battery life was still mediocre with Cyan.

Anyways to each their own. Obviously do your research of the pros and cons of each Windows phone before hand. Camera didn't bother me much on this phone and every other spec was fine with a plus on the SD card support and great front facing speakers. I played with the Samsung and didn't really care for the Windows button. Everything else was fine with it though with a really nice screen display.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Having 8.1 official is good but I don't necessarily consider that a pro seeing as that is why we have the dp and I see no difference in my 1520 with 8.1 official vs my bf icon with dp. Difference is I have cyan and he doesn't lol :)
And from our eexperience, battery life is excellent(though I have a stronger battery than he does) on the icon.
SLightly faster is subjective to most and most Lumia owners have no issues with speed and the only real noticeable difference is not the os itself but in the camera apps but id take slower for a much better camera vs a faster camera with crappy quality.
Most of htcs plusses are subjective and truthfully don't make it a better device :)

Now the speakers and SD card definitely are plusses though the speakers are a gimmick to me :)

The speakers are a gimmick to you?? You've obviously never listened to them. Is it because your favorite phone doesn't have them? Sometimes I think you have more then one ID on here from the looks of some of the posts.

Are you the appointed M8 for Windows basher on here? Why do you just sit on this forum? Is there nothing going on with your favorite phone on it's own forum? I am thinking I'd almost rather find another forum.

Curious minds just want to know...

MG

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
IInstead of debating me perhaps you should focus your attention on preventing a user from going android....which is also something they said(and why I suggest the icon).

I am not like you. If Android suits someone better, they should go to it. Let the user make their own decision. Same with phones.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I feel for you. I have the 928 and have been thinking about swapping out devices. I was thinking about the M8, but after a lot of what I have read, I don't want to give up the quality of the camera on the 928. (I take a lot of low light photos)

I just checked and you can still get the Icon on Verizon for $99 through Amazon. Oddly enough, Verizon Online still lists the 928 for sale, but no Icon.

Good luck!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not like you. If Android suits someone better, they should go to it. Let the user make their own decision. Same with phones.

It's definitely obvious we're not alike. I don't feel the need to argue with someone who says something negative about my phone of choice lol

From what I gather the op seemed to want feedback. They said to consider the note so I suggested if they like the os then give the se a try. Lol wasn't trying to force anyone on anything lmao

I feel for you. I have the 928 and have been thinking about swapping out devices. I was thinking about the M8, but after a lot of what I have read, I don't want to give up the quality of the camera on the 928. (I take a lot of low light photos)

I just checked and you can still get the Icon on Verizon for $99 through Amazon. Oddly enough, Verizon Online still lists the 928 for sale, but no Icon.

Good luck!

And that's what I don't get. The icon gets discontinued but the se and 928 are still around lol. And they sold the 8x for quite sometime, I believe into 2014. I would love to know their reasoning for doing so but we msu never know sadly. If you go icon, I hope you enjoy it. I am like you, I couldn't give up the quality :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077