The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-12-2014 08:22 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    My store only carries Nokia windows phones. We just still the camera. I can even sell a 635 because it is stupid cheap and easier than anything else to use.
    I'd like to see that store of yours :P
    troylytle likes this.
    11-05-2014 06:30 PM
    The start screen is just a advanced desktop. It's got tiles which are basically just active icons that can be resized. Nothing hard about this OS, just laziness and yes a gap of apps which really isn't a issue for me but many want what is comfortable to them.
    11-05-2014 07:17 PM
    All about the Benjamin! There's not a mad rush to get Windows Phones in the USA. No high demand, then no major push from the vendors.
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-05-2014 07:27 PM
    I have two family members who returned their Lumias because they said it was difficult to use. I actually find it easier to navigate than the Androids I've owned. Their is you home screen and you swipe left to get your apps list. Very simply, unlike Android with endless sideways scrolling and static icons. As far as apps, my Lumia 925 have all that I need(banking, sports, messaging etc.) When I purchased my phone from t mobile the guy there was surprised that's what I came there for and they only had one there. I did appreciate the Rep mentioning the 8.1 update coming up at the time. He also mentioned the Developers Preview which made me somewhat pleased with my visit. Before I purchased the 925 at this particular store, I went to the closest TMO store near me. When the guy found out I was there for a Windows Phone and not a Samsung or iPhone he just walked away and literally told me to "look elsewhere".
    11-05-2014 08:03 PM
    Anyone that finds a WP to complicated, also thinks a Keurig is overly complicated, guaranteed. Ignorance is a blissful sleepwalk through life.
    Motto of the common consumer. It doesn't change the outcome though. If the consumer doesn't think it is friendly, they don't buy it.
    11-05-2014 08:46 PM
    Noticed the Poster of this post and I just shook my head and laughed as I am not surprised.

The interface is perfectly fine. While it looks different, a Live tile and resizing it and setting it up on your start screen is no different than setting up a widget on Android. Given the fact that in our store, a lot of Windows Phones owners are senior citizens who are looking for their first smartphone and go for phones like the 520, 530 and 630....just because your family struggles with it(poor them) doesn't mean it is not user friendly.

Exactly I can see someone saying "it is too simple it feels dumbed down" vs "It's complicated to use."
    Anyone who struggles to use a Windows Phone, I have to question what other things they struggle with. We may not have a tutorial but if a tile says "Phone" common sense would tell you that is the phone option. The live tiles are even more self-explanatory in what they do than the Widgets/icons of android.

The only thing I could probably see someone struggling with is the hot mess of our settings menu(I still have a hard time finding certain settings when I need them).
    Superboy Troll is back. Instead of a mature conversation, you attack the individual.

Back on subject...

If the interface is so fine, explain to me why I have yet to find someone who isn't tech savvy find it friendly?

"I" think it is fine. I am not an average consumer though. I have plenty of oohs and ahhhs when people see my phone, until they see what is on my phone. Then is it is, "oh..."
    11-05-2014 08:47 PM
    Superboy Troll is back. Instead of a mature conversation, you attack the individual.

Back on subject...

If the interface is so fine, explain to me why I have yet to find someone who isn't tech savvy find it friendly?

"I" think it is fine. I am not an average consumer though. I have plenty of oohs and ahhhs when people see my phone, until they see what is on my phone. Then is it is, "oh..."
    I wasn't attacking you :) It's no different and Ironic even you claim that when you do the same thing to me everytime I say something about the M8 you don't like or agree with and label someone with a differing opinion and who is vocal about the opinion a TROLL instead of accepting a differing opinion ;) How very hypocritical of you LOL.

Back on topic, of course.....

Idk why you haven't found someone who is not tech savvy who find it friendly. However, I am basing it off of my own sales experience as I have to deal with non-tech people daily basis(much more now due to my internship) and I don't see anyone struggling with Windows Phone anymore than an iPhone or Android

I even managed to convince an android guy at my school to give WIndows Phone a try. He owned a M8 and He likes his phone but he is a bit bothered by various Android annoyances, so I managed to convince him to at least check out the M8.

I don't necessarily think for most consumers the OS is hard or difficult for them or it is not user friendly. Like someone said, it is DIFFERENT.

There is nothing non-user friendly about it. It's easy for someone who has never used a smartphone to adapt, however people who are stuck in an Android or IOS world may find it hard to adapt. It doesn't mean it is not user friendly...it simply means, that we're stuck/trained in our ways.

Lord knows, I struggled with an Android phone recently as I am so hardwired to Windows Phone. I don't necessarily think Android is not user friendly, I simply am Not used to how it is(and I find the OS horrible, but I digress)
    11-05-2014 10:52 PM
    What Microsoft needs to do is to offer "cool" video tutorials for first time users. Not only for the phone but also for their operating systems .These should be built in and could be turned on and off .

When I first got Windows 8 for my pc I was lost. The only tutorial I remember for Win 8 was the arrow pointing at the upper corner to open the charms bar when the UI was installing. Where I got all my training to use Win 8 was on YouTube.

These videos could also cover other feathers: Cortana, Camera, Store, Calender, IE etc.
    They could also be expanded third party app builders to help sell their apps.
    Imagine going to the Windows store and instead of just looking at screen shots of apps you could view videos of them in action a great new store experience.
    I am a older gentlemen and new to smart phones I got my first last April a 520 and now I have a 920.

Keep up the great work here.
    P.S My Android friend hates Cortana.
    11-05-2014 11:07 PM
    Well if you think about there is little to no tutorial system when you start the phone. You have to find your way to the help and tips. It is actually not that easy to learn straight away.
    Agreed. Even a five-step basic tutorial would be good - just the basics like navigating around, consistent UI principles (three dots, panorama layout etc.) and setting up the phone. I taught a friend of mine how to use his Lumia 920 (handed down) for five minutes and he got the hang of it instantly. Once you learn the basics, the rest of the OS (and most apps) have a pretty consistent UI/layout.
    colinkiama likes this.
    11-06-2014 12:02 AM
    I just made a user voice idea to solve this problem Verizon has. Vote here: https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...t-turns-on-for
    11-06-2014 12:20 AM
    I don't. The first couple times someone tries to get their favorite app and its not there...it goes back. That is how most consumers will treat it.

That and the interface isn't very friendly. Nobody in my family (and I have a big family) enjoys using my phone because they find it difficult.
    I do see how clicking on an app/tile that says facebook, whatsapp, internet explorer, calender, office, video/music, store, games would be terribly difficult as when these apps/tiles open you're faced with computer language that beings with the knowledge to the nth degree could only understand. WP and IOS are the 2 most simple OSes right now and your family find it difficult and they're people on here who've boasted about their elders operating the WP OS with ease. Don't get me wrong but honestly to come here and say that your family finds operating WP OS hard, either you're insulting their love lost for anything bar IOS/ANDROID or you're insulting us the readers of your post. Next time just post that your family hates the LACK of apps on WP and then we'll believe the "difficult to operate" sentiments.
    11-06-2014 12:25 AM
    I do see how clicking on an app/tile that says facebook, whatsapp, internet explorer, calender, office, video/music, store, games would be terribly difficult as when these apps/tiles open you're faced with computer language that beings with the knowledge to the nth degree could only understand. WP and IOS are the 2 most simple OSes right now and your family find it difficult and they're people on here who've boasted about their elders operating the WP OS with ease. Don't get me wrong but honestly to come here and say that your family finds operating WP OS hard, either you're insulting their love lost for anything bar IOS/ANDROID or you're insulting us the readers of your post. Next time just post that your family hates the LACK of apps on WP and then we'll believe the "difficult to operate" sentiments.
    Please.

There is nothing I said to insult readers, or my family and friends. They simply see Android and iOS as easier. Sorry you cannot grasp that fact.

So many people cannot see past their own experiences to realize that not everyone else is them. You are a perfect example.

Feel free to disagree, heck even I think its an easy OS. But don't pretend you know what people I know (and you do not) presume to think.

I'll give you a perfect example of what is easier on every other OS out there for most people:

The dialer. The single most important part of the phone. The lack of smart dialing that people are accustomed to is horrifying for any mobile OS in 2014. The WP dialer is altogether unfriendly and borderline hostile.

I personally don't have a problem with WP past the app gap, which is considerable. However, I am not naive enough to think that everyone else feels the same way.

This all falls along the same lines as Windows 8/8.1. I have yet to meet anyone who likes it, and have had many people tell me it is hard to use. I don't have a problem with it; heck I code on it daily and use it more than Yosemite on my Mac. Yet people don't like it. I also run a side business fixing computers, hardware and software. The number one request of Windows 8 users? Make it work like Windows 7. Clearly the tile paradigm is not considered easy or desirable for everyone and the lack of adoption in WP and Windows 8/8.1 speaks volumes about that.
    Last edited by Adrynalyne; 11-06-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    11-06-2014 12:32 AM
    WP is the best OS right now despite what it lacks, anyone ever gave thought to how would ios or android stand up to it if it had everything exhibited by both ios and android at this very moment.
    Last edited by pedmar007; 11-06-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    11-06-2014 12:39 AM
    "Then it is, oh" WTF, are you talking to plants? The only thing right now that anybody can show me on their iPhone or Android device are apps that WP don't have. Open Facebook app I have it, open whatsapp I have it, open YT I have a facsimile that shows the EXACT same vids, open a browser I have it, open a weather app I have it as well, WTF can you show me that I don't already have other than what's not been made YET for the OS. Don't give a shyte what others think about WP as I believe it's the best looking OS right now and to me there's no IOS or ANDROID smartphone that anyone can show me that will have a better visual that MY L920 start screen layout.

Is there anyone else (IOS/ANDROID) that can show me the latest news, email, whatsapp msg, bbm, Facebook update, Facebook msg, twitter msg, missed calls(by name), birthdays, meetings, reminders on calendar WITHOUT TOUCHING THEIR PHONE TO OPEN AN IOS/ANDROID APP?? IS THERE ANYONE!!! Well FYI EVERY WP 8-8.1 OWNER CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lets see:

Trello? Nope.
    Offcial Youtube? Nope.
    Hangouts? Nope.
    Gmail app? Nope.
    Teamwork? Nope
    Trillian? Nope
    Github? Nope
    Chrome? Nope

Thats just off the top of my head for apps I wish I had and used to in iOS and Android.

Is there anyone else (IOS/ANDROID) that can show me the latest news, email, whatsapp msg, bbm, Facebook update, Facebook msg, twitter msg, missed calls(by name), birthdays, meetings, reminders on calendar WITHOUT TOUCHING THEIR PHONE TO OPEN AN IOS/ANDROID APP?? IS THERE ANYONE!!! Well FYI EVERY WP 8-8.1 OWNER CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha, yeah, quite a few Android phones can. Dunno about iOS.

PS- Caps do not reinforce your point.
    Last edited by Adrynalyne; 11-06-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    11-06-2014 12:48 AM
    Lets see:

Trello? Nope.
    Offcial Youtube? Nope.
    Hangouts? Nope.
    Gmail app? Nope.
    Teamwork? Nope
    Trillian? Nope
    Github? Nope
    Chrome? Nope

Thats just off the top of my head for apps I wish I had and used to in iOS and Android.

PS- Caps do not reinforce your point.
    Sadly, don't expect anything Google on Windows Phone for a long time, until both companies get on better standings.
    11-06-2014 12:52 AM
    Sadly, don't expect anything Google on Windows Phone for a long time, until both companies get on better standings.
    Oh I know, and I knew that coming in. I was just giving him examples that he asked for.
    11-06-2014 12:55 AM
    Nobody ask for it but you but it has a high return rate? This guy saw you coming.
    Nogitsune Micah and Cage Ata like this.
    11-06-2014 02:05 AM
    Nobody ask for it but you but it has a high return rate? This guy saw you coming.

I have a friend who is a Verizon Wireless manager. He tells me that more often than not, Windows Phones get returned.
    11-06-2014 07:38 AM
    So it's the same vicious circle. Sales reps aren't incentivised, what ever training they do get, they're not interested in "selling" the product, are ignorant of official apps or excellent 3rd party alternatives, don't educate the customer on WP features. In turn, customers are more likely to return the phone because of the so-called app-gap and/or unfamiliarity with the OS. The carrier is then more cautious about holding any inventory for any Windows Phones. The OEMs/Microsoft then feel obliged to offer exclusivity just in order to get their foot in the door and guarantee a level of stock availability and marketing / promotion. And so it rolls on.
    11-06-2014 08:57 AM
    I don't find WP complicated in the least, however I can understand that there's a lot of people who dislike change that would tend to not want to adopt a UI different from the grid of icons layout they're used to from an iPhone. Look at how many people made a fuss over the start menu being gone from W8
    11-06-2014 09:01 AM
    I have a friend who is a Verizon Wireless manager. He tells me that more often than not, Windows Phones get returned.
    Then your VZ manager friend isn't a very good manager. Education to the customer before and during the selling process would trim down on returns.
    11-06-2014 09:23 AM
    I agree that Windows Phone "could" be the best OS. But it's like the chicken and the egg. You need users to get the good apps and you need good apps to get the users. It's hard to believe that people say WP is harder to use than Android or Iphone. To me, Android has SO many settings and customizations, it's hard to remember where to go for settings sometime. I think people trying Windows Phone find the lack of apps the main issue. We here, know about third party apps that help bridge the gap. But most people don't. And the fact that 8.1 is not on all phones, especially on Verizon, is a negative. Also, why do people who use Android or Apple want to change? Why would they want to change to WP? It just seems like an uphill battle for MS and it's going to be tough to get marketshare and overcome the lead of Android and Apple.
    11-06-2014 09:48 AM
    I have had all 3 OS's. Who ever says WP, Android or Apple is hard to use then you have no business owning a smartphone. Lest take a look at it as a phone first. They all have a icon with a phone in it, thats what you use to make calls. Press it, dial the number and send. Seems simple to me, right. Next you have a icon for messaging. It will have a picture of a cloud/bubble, what ever you want to call it. Press it and text something to someone, Also pretty simple to me. Next you have internet. Now WP is a pic of circle "E", android chrome is a circle with different colors, apple says safari. Now if you own a smartphone I am sure you know which icon will be the internet. Press it and the web opens. Type a address and it takes you to it. Once again pretty simple. Now these are your common features of a smartphone and what is mostly used, at least by me.

Now, lets take a look at the apps, which is why most, if not all people by a smartphone. No matter what OS you have , you will have a app store and I am sure it not had to find the icon for it. Now once you download a app, I am also sure that you know what the icon for that app looks like right, perfect. Open the newly downloaded app and use it. Kinda simple if you as me, on any OS so far. And I will say that this goes for all apps, mail, FB, Youtube, Twitter, etc. They are all apps, coming from the app store. They will have a pic for you to recognize it.

Next is the OS/Phone settings. Now this is where things become a little more difficult. Like I said I have owned all 3, so with that said this what I think. WP 8.0 on my 928 and Icon was pretty simple to find stuff. I have the M8 on 8.1 and the settings have become more difficult and has more user setting than before. Which is expected because 8.1 has more features. still none the less it becoming more difficult to find stuff. Apple was the 2nd easiest. My 4s and 5 had what seem to be the same settings. I would venture to say that its pretty close to WP 8.1 if not even as far as finding a specific setting. Android was the hardest for me. But its expected because it is so feature packed that there is a setting for everyone. I always had a hard time finding some setting. Found myself Google-ing it sometime. Now if you are just a no nonsense smartphone person that just want a smartphone for phone calls, text, couple of apps and a camera, then WP and Apple are for you. If you like all that and are always changing setting or trying some new feature out, etc, then I think Android is for you. Its not to say WP or Apple are lame or something is this department, but if you just set your phone once out of the box then they are easier by far than Android.
    These is what I think of people who say one is easier to use than the other. Your ignorant or you should have a smartphone. Its a phone with icons. You press the icon and it opens up. How hard is that? Also if its not on you home page you scroll to the side till you find it. Pretty damm simple if you ask me.
    11-06-2014 09:58 AM
    It goes back to the whole argument on Windows 8 - its not what they are used to. These are people that aren't exactly "tech" smart. My wife, for instance, is one of those people that Windows Phone would have been perfect for - except she didn't like the interface - she thought it was too busy, and every time she picks up my phone is like......"I never know where the hell anything is on this phone"...........IOS = Idiot Operating System for a reason...............Android is another story - she never used any of the customization, etc. Literally, email, sms and phone, maybe maps, and music.

At the time when I got my Icon, I tried to convince her to get the 928, but she didn't like the interface, didn't want a big screen phone, so what was left was the Iphone 5s. And here we sit, and I have to do everything for her Iphone........the one plus of it all, is that all my paid MS services, we can share because she can just use my log-in on her Iphone. All our pictures upload to the same folder, we share music on xbox music etc.
    11-06-2014 09:58 AM
    It goes back to the whole argument on Windows 8 - its not what they are used to. These are people that aren't exactly "tech" smart. My wife, for instance, is one of those people that Windows Phone would have been perfect for - except she didn't like the interface - she thought it was too busy, and every time she picks up my phone is like......"I never know where the hell anything is on this phone"...........IOS = Idiot Operating System for a reason...............Android is another story - she never used any of the customization, etc. Literally, email, sms and phone, maybe maps, and music.

At the time when I got my Icon, I tried to convince her to get the 928, but she didn't like the interface, didn't want a big screen phone, so what was left was the Iphone 5s. And here we sit, and I have to do everything for her Iphone........the one plus of it all, is that all my paid MS services, we can share because she can just use my log-in on her Iphone. All our pictures upload to the same folder, we share music on xbox music etc.
    My wife is the same way as far as my phone. But she can use the $h!t out of her S5 in every which way. It just different looking and takes time getting use to. Kinda like going from a car to a truck, totally different driving experience.
    11-06-2014 10:04 AM
108 1234 ...