One M8 for Windows on AT&T

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I decided to take the plunge into the One M8 for Windows on day one of AT&T's release. So far, no regrets.

I traded in my Lumia 1520 in for my Next upgrade, mostly because I've just grown weary of having to use two hands to text, and the swipe/tap issues I've dealt with through 3 1520's. No swipe tap issue to be seen here. The sound is awesome to say the least. And the cliche "seems faster" unfortunately applies here, but it does seem faster in response so far. It's running 8.1 Update 1 out of the box, so it's at least current for a little while.

My only gripe so far is the placement of power button on relation to the volume buttons. I've accidentally taken a couple of screenshots so far. I've seen the reports of a rebooting issue with the Verizon version... I'm holding my breath on that one. Maybe its not as prevalent as the swipe/tap problem. Just my two cents.

Stephen

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope your One M8 for Windows keeps working well for you.

Please keep us posted on how you like it. I always like to see reviews from regular users, not just tech site bloggers. I'd like to hear more from you, since I'm eligible for an upgrade and have AT&T.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for info. Planning on getting Tmobile version tomorrow. Did you get dot view? still trying to decide on that.

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I didn't get shot view, mainly because I like being able to clip my phone to my belt, and a dot view case would prevent that. Fortunately. A good selection of case holster combinations are available due to the popularity of the Android variant. They match perfectly.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My only gripe so far is the placement of power button on relation to the volume buttons. I've accidentally taken a couple of screenshots so far. I've seen the reports of a rebooting issue with the Verizon version... I'm holding my breath on that one. Maybe its not as prevalent as the swipe/tap problem. Just my two cents.

Stephen
So happy other carriers are finally getting this awesome device. Congrats on getting yours. It took me probably all of a day or two to get used to and actually prefer the power button placement on top. Maybe GSM version is different but on verizon version it takes a press of power and vol up to take a screen shot. I would find that pretty awkward to do accidently. As for rebooting I have never experienced it ever. I do however reboot each morning after my phone has been on all nite in night clock mode. Maybe my daily reboot first thing straightens it out for the day.

Thanks for info. Planning on getting Tmobile version tomorrow. Did you get dot view? still trying to decide on that.
​A lot of people in the end decided it seems the dot view case was probably overhyped. For what you get functionality wise you lose in practical use-ability of your phone. Gets in the way when typing anything is a big complaint. Not opening flush with the phone, another. If you decide to go for it just don't pay to much for it as you may decide it's not all that.

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've now had my phone for nearly a week, and so far, I'm not missing my 1520 a bit. This phone is easier to handle, and is just as fast as my old one. As for the screenshot issue I was having, it's just the way by which I hold my phone. I use my right index finger to press the power button, and my thumb just naturally rests on top of the volume up button. It's not really a *problem* per say, but I've adjusted my grip to compensate.

I'm using the Platinum Series phone case & holster, purchased from Best Buy. The phone is exactly the same as the Android version, so naturally the case fits the phone perfectly.

WP_20141112_002.jpgWP_20141112_003.jpg

Pictures taken with the phone are excellent, even if the camera doesn't have the same pixel count as the 1520. It takes acceptable pictures for what *I* want to do with it, which is what counts. If you want a professional picture, use a professional camera. That's my opinion.

As for bugs? Honestly... I haven't found anything that really 'bugs' me so far... my uptime is 5d 1h 15min as of this writing, that's when I turned the phone on out of the box for the first time at the store.

Overall, I'm at the moment very well pleased with my AT&T One M8 for Windows. If I have anything else to mention, it'll be here.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I got mine on Saturday and I have to say, best Windows Phone I've owned, and this is coming from a whole range of Lumias and ATIVs. No more heating problems like the 92x series and no buggy scrolling like the ATIV series. The only BUG that I've found that refuses to sort itself out is when playing music, locking/unlocking the phone after selecting the song will sometimes substantially increase the volume. Boomsound is turned off so I'm not sure what's going on here. It doesn't cause too many problems though, I just adjust as necessary.

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am on Day 6 with mine as well and still maintain it is the best phone I have ever used or owned. The only two things I would change are (just like the EJM said) the location of the power button and lack of wireless charging.

Everything on the phone does what it is supposed to and quickly. It is nice to take pictures instantly and have apps and general UI respond so fluidly. Feels great in the hand, sound is ridiculous, screen is great, you get the point.

No case for me, I like my phones naked :smile:

Schnydz

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Purchased my AT&T HTC ONE last week. Have to agree, best windows phone experience yet. If it only had Qi wireless charge then I would say its pretty future proof for at least the next 3-4 years!

Have experienced zero issues or bugs. No problems with Xbox music or volume. Battery life is extraordinary to say the least. Guess my ONLY hang up is the question of HTCs firmware support. But even then, with such a long history being out in the market with Android I suspect a lot of the firmware and hardware issues have already been hammered out.

I wouldn't think twice about switching up from a Lumia device. No regrets. None!

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been waiting for this phone for months, Going on a week of use and I can say I love this phone, I was worried when I read about the rebooting issue but I have had zero problems with the phone. I will update as time goes by.

xjjon

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know why it costs 70$ more for AT&T version compared to VZ? Verizon sells it for 600$ while AT&T costs 669.99.

higyn

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I got the phone a couple of days ago. Been loving it so far. The only gripe i have is the screenshot issue as well. Guess i'll re-learn to hold my phone when locking it. Pictures are obviously not as good as my old 1020, but they are nice enough, dont eat up all my storage, and the burst modes and re-focusing are a really nice addition.
Over all great phone, i recommend it to anyone looking for a high end Windows phone.

calima20

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I also took the plunge and picked up a M8 for Windows on the first day of launch. This is my first windows phone since windows 6.5 many years ago. I also have no regrets coming from android and iPhone.

I have a phone device on all 3 platforms as well as tablets on each platform. Although I loved my surface tablet I still debated about making the plunge with a windows phone. I am glad I went with my gut feeling and decided that it would work for me. I love the phone and its layout. In my opinion much more appealing than android and iPhone. I like the sleek black background theme as its very easy on the eyes.

The phone connects with my cars sync system flawlessly and every other Bluetooth device I want to pair with. I have had no rebooting or any other issues pop up. I downloaded many of the same apps that I use on the other platforms. There are a couple like Yahoo Fantasy football and Sound cloud that dont have windows apps and I have had no problem with that bing the case. Sound cloud has a mobile web page that is better than an app. For Yahoo Fantasy football I have learned thst I prefer viewing the full website rather than using the app on the other platforms so I knew that on windows it would also be no issue.

I love how my windows phone syncs with all my other window devices!

Everyone seems to knock this phone due to its camera and although it doesn't have the same megapixel capability as other phones..... it satisfies my needs. Takes great pictures for me and for special events I would use a different camera anyways.

In summary, being an avid user under the android and iPhone platforms I am very happy with the windows platform and this phone.

elitejedimaster

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
A further update... I've noticed that at a certain area of my workplace, in a place where no phone I've ever owned has pulled a signal, my One M8 manages to keep a single bar. Enough to send texts to my wife. So add better signal reception to my list of praise. And uptime now stands at 1 week 3 days, 18 hours. Still running off the original boot.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
About a week and a half with this device and still the best windows phone I've owned. My only gripe now is that somehow, the camera lens picked up some kinds of stains that cannot seem to be removed. I've tried wiping with clean cloth, tough and tender wipe, soapy water, nothing is getting these damn stains off. Need to try a lens-cleaning solution or some windex when I get back home from university. It's not affecting the pictures by any means but its a damn eyesore for me, as I need to have my phone completely stain and fingerprint free AT ALL TIMES.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll get back to the States around midday tomorrow, and my first activity (other than leave my bags at home) will be to head to the AT&T store and check out the One M8.

I got the 920 about two years ago, and after a year and a half the screen died. Got a 925 as a replacement device from AT&T (I actually had device insurance purchased, and this was the one time in my life it was useful!). Time for an upgrade though. It's just a shame that there is no new flagship device coming until perhaps Q2 2015. So I'm not sure if I want to do an AT&T Next option, buy unlocked, or do a two year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12