11-25-2014 07:33 PM
136 12345 ...
tools
    Honestly speaking I'm all for Windows Phone growth. One of my cousins who has been an iPhone fan for as long as I can remember is thinking of trying an entry level Windows Phone, and if he likes it, he'll buy a higher end one.

When I mentioned the pros and cons, I never left out the fact that Windows Phone has a significant app gap, and the quality of existing apps wasn't so great either. This is something that is crucial to tell someone thinking of moving to Windows Phone, especially if you work *RETAIL.*

I can see why Windows Phone appeals to people, it's beautiful.

But no matter how big of a supporter I am of Windows Phone, I would still have shown the customer the Android version and told him the benefits.

To put this simply, HTC is trying their best to make the best possible Android device, but not the best Windows Phone.

The Android variant has tons of features, that you should've told the customer about, that the Windows Phone version doesn't. To name a few it has a camera shortcut(using the volume key), extra screen gestures, an LED notification light, Blinkfeed a swipe away, and the upcoming M8 Eye update to enhance things further. There is also Zoe support, HTC RE support, and split capture. There's tons more.

Plus if the customer did like a phone that was colourful, he would have been dissapointed with Windows Phone anyways. The Metro UI apps that come bundled with the M8 for Windows version are either black or white whereas the Android HTC Sense apps have a lot more color.

Honestly the only reason I would've gone the extra mile to promote the Windows Phone variant would be because it *currently* has better battery or if the customer was a die hard Windows Phone fan. I can barely find any other reasons.

While the customer may be to blame, you are somewhat guilty as well.

No offence but this is my assessment of the situation.
    i would never label you as a windows supporter at all going by your previous posts...
    11-11-2014 11:27 PM
    In the US, Apple has all the mindshare.
    This is not a good sign for the quality of minds in the US.
    11-12-2014 03:46 AM
    i would never label you as a windows supporter at all going by your previous posts...
    I may not be as die hard of a supporter as some of you are, but there are things that Windows Phone excels at and I'm willing to admit them.

It's a nice OS that should grow, but anyone who buys one should be told what he's getting into.
    11-12-2014 03:49 AM
    I may not be as die hard of a supporter as some of you are, but there are things that Windows Phone excels at and I'm willing to admit them.

It's a nice OS that should grow, but anyone who buys one should be told what he's getting into.
    i havent seen you say anything nice about windows phone yet...
    im willing to admit both the pros and cons of each os
    11-12-2014 04:14 AM
    i havent seen you say anything nice about windows phone yet...
    im willing to admit both the pros and cons of each os
    That's not entirely relevant here.

I just gave my own opinion on the guy's situation, and unless you have any logical objections with what I've said, I see no reason why me liking Windows Phone or not plays any role here.

It was just a simple suggestion, the person who came into the shop liked "colours" and I'm damn sure that if he hadn't used Google services, he would have been tired by many of Windows Phone's black or white apps anyways.

I have a friend that owns an HTC One M8 and every other day he tells me about a new feature that he discovered, or he brags about the gestures.

The most recent update he got has had him jumping, the M8 Eye experience which Windows Phone will not receive soon(if ever).

Honestly, even if I did like Windows Phone, I would've recommended the customers to get a Lumia instead or if really really like a colorful OS and he liked the way the M8 looked, he should've gone with Android.
    11-12-2014 04:59 AM
    ^^i dont quite agree
    you said he'd get bored with windows phone's "white and black" apps
    i think he'd get even more bored with stock androids lacklustre UI which is also all black,before you say he can use another launcher,he had no clue the M8 windows wasnt android i highly doubt he would know much about phones except that he prefered google services
    also it has been proven that the M8 windows experience as a phone is better than the android one in the camera,battery life,optimisation and exclusive apps department which is ironic given the exact same hardware and "superior" android
    also critisizing windows phone app UI colours isnt exactly a win for android,given that android L and iOS 7+ have adopted the very design elements now which wp7+ brought forth
    11-12-2014 07:31 AM
    ^^i dont quite agree
    i think he'd get even more bored with stock androids lacklustre UI which is also all black,before you say he can use another launcher,he had no clue the M8 windows wasnt android i highly doubt he would know much about phones except that he prefered google services
    also it has been proven that the M8 windows experience as a phone is better than the android one in the camera,battery life,optimisation and exclusive apps department which is ironic given the exact same hardware and "superior" android
    also critisizing windows phone app UI colours isnt exactly a win for android,given that android L and iOS 7+ have adopted the very design elements now which wp7+ brought forth
    How much do you know about the M8 good Sir?

The M8 doesn't run Stock Android, it runs HTC Sense. And this is the kind of black and white apps I'm talking about:

Android Lollipop borrows more from HTC Sense then it does from Windows Phone or iOS, get over it.

And you clearly seem to be reading the wrong sources, while battery life may have been better on the Windows Phone department, camera features, optimisarion and exclusive apps are indeed more in number on Android.

To name a few things, optimisation is definitely guaranteed on the Android version more as HTC has tweaked and tailor made everything suited for the M8 for Windows by HTC Sense, Blinkfeed is a swipe away. There are tons of gestures for when the phone is off. The camera can be opened from volume key(you can't do this on WP).

Exclusive apps and services are for sure better on Android.

The M8 for Android camera supports Zoes, split capture, then comes the Eye experience update.

The HTC Zoe app also isn't available on Windows Phone, nor is the HTC RE app.

What exclusive HTC apps are you talking about that are only on Windows Phone?
    11-12-2014 07:55 AM
    ^again untrue
    you dont seem to understand that HTC Sense is a modded stock Android UI and is often called "the other nexus" or "nexus experience"
    Android L wasnt copied off HTC Sense as you like to think
    ohh and the remote on the windows phone M8 seems more defined than the all white android one
    oh and with windows phone,the camera key doesnt NEED to be opened with the volume key because most WPs have a dedicated camera button
    also whats "superior" android with not enough juice on the move ?
    Android L is more of a launcher change than structural
    proof-android has reached what i like to call the "symbian-point" aka a standstill
    Windows Phone and ios are still implementing newer features such as OTG etc and still have better battery life etc
    http://bgr.com/2014/08/25/android-vs...ne-htc-one-m8/
    11-12-2014 08:08 AM
    ^again untrue
    you dont seem to understand that HTC Sense is a modded stock Android UI and is often called "the other nexus" or "nexus experience"
    Android L wasnt copied off HTC Sense as you like to think
    ohh and the remote on the windows phone M8 seems more defined than the all white android one
    oh and with windows phone,the camera key doesnt NEED to be opened with the volume key because most WPs have a dedicated camera button
    also whats "superior" android with not enough juice on the move ?
    Android L is more of a launcher change than structural
    proof-android has reached what i like to call the "symbian-point" aka a standstill
    Windows Phone and ios are still implementing newer features such as OTG etc and still have better battery life etc
    http://bgr.com/2014/08/25/android-vs...ne-htc-one-m8/
    Copying, and taking inspiration are two different things. There are elements of HTC Sense that Material Design borrowed from, but that's another discussion. Not relevant here.

HTC Sense is a modded, maybe not as heavily modded as TouchWiz, but nonetheless modded version of Android. HTC actually optimised it instead of just slapping the Windows Phone everyone else has on their M8 for Windows version.

Again you have a constant habit of deviating from the topic at hand. I'm not talking about other Windows Phones, I'm talking about the M8 specifically which does *NOT* have a shutter button and opening the app on Android is quick and easy with a volume button tap, nothing like this can be found on the M8 for Windows version.

Again I did admit that battery life was possibly the only place where the M8 for Windows may be better, but tests on Gsmarena found that the M8 for Windows could be in a way cheating the battery tests because it has lower brightness than the Android variant.

You have also failed to show me even one exclusive app by HTC on the Windows variant that the Android version does not have despite your big claims.

Lastly OTG is totally irrelevant, Android has had it for years. But that's not relevant at all the topic.
    11-12-2014 08:56 AM
    Although i dont want to get into the back and forth of what you guys are arguing, you point out that WP generally dont need the volume shortcut to open the camera since they normally have a dedicated button which is true, the original poster was referencing the m8 specifically which sadly for WP does not have this button, hence their being no 'quick' launch for the camera even though the android m8 can use the volume shortcut. Personally I find it annoying that one version can do it and another cant, along with a lot of the gestures, etc. I know some of this is built into the OS, but its frustrating regardless when you feel like you are missing features on what in theory are 'identical' phones
    11-12-2014 08:57 AM
    otg was first seen on symbian not android
    your claims arent quite true im sorry to say
    dont be naive and believe in gsmarena
    im better off with mobile nations and pocketnow reviews because they arent biased and actually take pains to test phones
    fyi about HTC apps,the htc camera app etc are actually more optimised and have more options than android version
    as for M8 camera launch button , i dont think you have heard of the very very well built Lumia line up which actually has this camera button
    android L is a ripped off design,alot of ios 7,Bb10 and wp mixed in there
    as for HTC not modifying windows phone for the M8,its a good thing because guess what its small differences which will make this platform
    all iphones UI looks exactly the same,all android phone UI looks exactly different causing differences in opinion etc
    windows phone offers different stuff where needed not like touchwiz etc which are shoved down the users throat if they want a samsung and so on
    also refrain from pathetic personal attacks ,by accusing of deviating threads, on me or others in the other thread
    11-12-2014 12:05 PM
    otg was first seen on symbian not android
    your claims arent quite true im sorry to say
    dont be naive and believe in gsmarena
    im better off with mobile nations and pocketnow reviews because they arent biased and actually take pains to test phones
    fyi about HTC apps,the htc camera app etc are actually more optimised and have more options than android version
    as for M8 camera launch button , i dont think you have heard of the very very well built Lumia line up which actually has this camera button
    android L is a ripped off design,alot of ios 7,Bb10 and wp mixed in there
    as for HTC not modifying windows phone for the M8,its a good thing because guess what its small differences which will make this platform
    all iphones UI looks exactly the same,all android phone UI looks exactly different causing differences in opinion etc
    windows phone offers different stuff where needed not like touchwiz etc which are shoved down the users throat if they want a samsung and so on
    also refrain from pathetic personal attacks ,by accusing of deviating threads, on me or others in the other thread
    Bringing OTG was irrelevant in the first place, and I never claimed that Android had it first either I said that Android has had this feature for a significant time period. But that doesn't make it any less irrelevant.

Also constantly bringing up the Lumia lineup has no relevance either, we are strictly discussing the M8(for Android and Windows) and you continuously fail to admit that Windows Phone has barely any support for the gestures that the Android variant has.

You just keep saying that the Windows Phone version has more camera features and more exclusive apps, with zero evidence to back up your claim.

If Pocketnow is your cup of tea, here's an image right from Pocketnow, the Android variant clearly has the upper hand in camera features:

Android variant ^

Windows variant ^

Do you need any more evidence?
    11-12-2014 12:22 PM
    you obviously havent heard of photosynth
    you havent heard of optimisation,i never said the app looked different
    as for gestures,android<<<<<<<<<<<<BB10 for gestures so stop acting like android is some saintly phone os
    if you call that evidence,ill call my laptop a shoe
    11-12-2014 12:26 PM
    you obviously havent heard of photosynth
    you havent heard of optimisation,i never said the app looked different
    as for gestures,android<<<<<<<<<<<<BB10 for gestures so stop acting like android is some saintly phone os
    if you call that evidence,ill call my laptop a shoe
    Clearly pointless arguing with you. If Windows Phone doesn't have one feature, you'll say Symbian has it. If I talk about some other, you'll say Blackberry has it. Then I'll talk about something else and you'll drag in every OS known to mankind.

Basically you'll talk about everything except the relevant topic being discussed.

Continue doing what you seem to have been doing for as long as I can remember.
    BatteryLife likes this.
    11-12-2014 12:29 PM
    ^^^yeah and you keep living on in that dream world where android "invented" everything
    psoham777 likes this.
    11-12-2014 11:43 PM
    You just keep saying that the Windows Phone version has more camera features and more exclusive apps, with zero evidence to back up your claim.

If Pocketnow is your cup of tea, here's an image right from Pocketnow, the Android variant clearly has the upper hand in camera features:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...0ccec6942b.jpg

Android variant ^

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...e8ea0db28a.jpg

Windows variant ^

Do you need any more evidence?

Yes, M8 does lack some exclusive Lumia apps. Nokia camera isn't there but there's something known as proshot(equally good). Photosynth is good for taking panoramas(3d images etc)
    If there's 1 thing that no OS can beat Windows, then its camera features, there are a ton of videos on YouTube which say that.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-13-2014 12:30 AM
    Yeah you really should stop spreading false bs lol most lumias have glance
    I was thinking of mew phones released this year. Only ONE phone has it.
    11-13-2014 04:52 AM
    thanks for your misinformation
    fyi only 930 and 630,730 dont have it anymore
    Um...so all the phones but one don't have it. Thanks for playing
    11-13-2014 04:54 AM
    TBD I like Sense Colours and I do think WP devices would be better served with a dash of colour
    ^^i dont quite agree
    11-13-2014 04:55 AM
    Yes, M8 does lack some exclusive Lumia apps. Nokia camera isn't there but there's something known as proshot(equally good). Photosynth is good for taking panoramas(3d images etc)
    If there's 1 thing that no OS can beat Windows, then its camera features, there are a ton of videos on YouTube which say that.
    We are strictly trying to talk about HTC exclusives here. Photosynth may be a good replacement but there is no replacement for split capture or HTC Zoe.

There is also no support for accessories like the HTC Re.

And the recent Eye experience update, which a friend showed me today has some features such as face combining or face swap and some other things and it has got him jumping.

All in all the M8 for Windows was definitely not the best effort HTC has made, but a lot of that can be blamed on WP limitations.

TBD I like Sense Colours and I do think WP devices would be better served with a dash of colour
    No point of arguing with him.
    11-13-2014 07:32 AM
    Um...so all the phones but one don't have it. Thanks for playing
    which is why choice exists
    no one is forcing you to buy a $1000 phone just because you have $1000 in your pocket,you buy according to your needs
    11-13-2014 11:58 AM
    We are strictly trying to talk about HTC exclusives here. Photosynth may be a good replacement but there is no replacement for split capture or HTC Zoe.

There is also no support for accessories like the HTC Re.

And the recent Eye experience update, which a friend showed me today has some features such as face combining or face swap and some other things and it has got him jumping.

All in all the M8 for Windows was definitely not the best effort HTC has made, but a lot of that can be blamed on WP limitations.

No point of arguing with him.
    its just sad and lame when people like you spread misinformation on any thread which praises WP,iOS,BB10
    good luck with that attitude
    no point in arguing with you
    if you hate WP so much dont come here and post nonsense and use personal attacks on other users like me,Psoham777 etc
    no one is forcing you to come here or buy a WP
    11-13-2014 12:00 PM
    windows phone literally invented colours in their UI,infact it didnt even have wallpapers etc before 8.1
    nearly every app has colours except for music and a few more apps
    11-13-2014 12:01 PM
    its just sad and lame when people like you spread misinformation on any thread which praises WP,iOS,BB10
    good luck with that attitude
    no point in arguing with you
    if you hate WP so much dont come here and post nonsense and use personal attacks on other users like me,Psoham777 etc
    no one is forcing you to come here or buy a WP
    I don't think I've ever spread misinformation about any OSes, I've had to deal with a lot of your false accusations(with no evidence) though.

windows phone literally invented colours in their UI,infact it didnt even have wallpapers etc before 8.1
    nearly every app has colours except for music and a few more apps
    Windows Phone invented colours in their UI.

Nice. So I'm pretty sure every OS that came before it was black and white?
    11-13-2014 12:33 PM
    My thread has turned into a fighting thread :( GOSH! Where's the Love.

JK :P I am just glad it is not me and my bestie AD fighting this time ;)
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-13-2014 04:24 PM
136 12345 ...