[M8] Overheating issues?

slamo27

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. Had this phone for about 2 months (all updates installed). Randomly heats up while in use or not in use (and screen is off) and kills battery extremely fast. Currently factory resetting. VZ version.

Schmitty63

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Went to the VZW store few weeks back , changed some settings and was ok for awhile, but now it does it every time I send or receive a text. A TEXT!!??
When I went to VZW store earlier this month they told me they had not heard of issues with these phones heating up and couldn't find anything inline about it. Really?

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Nothing ended up working for me. I forgot to update that I ended up getting a new HTC One M8 unit. Because I had insurance through Verizon they replaced it for free and I have not had a single issue with my new unit. Hope everyone else has had their problems resolved!

Schmitty63

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Nothing ended up working for me. I forgot to update that I ended up getting a new HTC One M8 unit. Because I had insurance through Verizon they replaced it for free and I have not had a single issue with my new unit. Hope everyone else has had their problems resolved!
I did the same. No issues with the second phone after 2 months so far.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The heating issue has returned for me and at first I thought it was an Awesome Lock problem. Disabled that, and seems to help a bit. Now, whenever I put on Dot View case it heats up bad. So turned off Dot View and no case. I also unpinned Cortana. After researching this issue I think it has to do with the qualcomm chip inside as other devices have similar issues with heating. This will not be on the HTC m9 but it could also be related to wifi/signal issues. Even without wifi on I sometimes get very sporadic LTE signals but roaming is off.

I also have found the original charger that came with the phone, though the charger i was using was from my old phone HTC 8X. So that shouldn't matter right?

Pretty much the worst phone I've ever used and will not go back to HTC once I pay it off. This is a new device, after cracking the screen.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I too am having the overheating issues with my HTC One M8 running Windows 8.1 Update 2. I do use the dot view case, but it doesn't seem to make much difference on or off. Cortana is not pinned and Wifi Sense is off. The battery completely drained in about 8 hours of light use (ie. No phone calls, a few text messages and occasionally check email or Facebook). Even plugged in to the wall using the cord that shipped with the device, the phone was getting really warm and seemed to stall at 47% charged. The only thing that has worked to get over that 47% hump is turning Wifi completely off.

Even setting the phone near an AC vent while charging doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Super frustrating! I plan on contacting HTC soon, but if anybody has any other suggestions I'd be happy to listen.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had the phone? Have you tried both a soft reset, followed by a hard reset if that did not resolve the problem?
I have the One M8 from Verizon and there have been no overheating issues. If you try both the soft and hard reset and have not resolved the problem, then I would exchange the phone, because I think that would mean there was a hardware issue.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had the phone for almost a year now and have tried both a soft and hard reset. The soft reset seems to help for the short term, but it doesn't resolve the problem long term. Fortunately it looks like Verizon might be letting customers out of existing contracts soon, so I might see if I can take advantage of that and get a lumia of some sort.

David Winner

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone still on this thread. I've bene having this problem with this phone for over a year now. I have had multiple replacements from Verizon. Clearly this is an OS problem. I am running windows 8.1.1 on my phone, and it is defiantly a signal issue. I haven't had any success pinning down exactly the scenario, but it is very aggravating. Anyone have any more clues?

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
reading all these post, it seems to me like it is a Verizon problem and not the OS or HTC. If it was the OS or HTC people with the phone on AT&T and T- mobile would be having the same problem and 99% of these posts are Verizon, I've never had an issue with my Windows M8 on AT&T.

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone still on this thread. I've bene having this problem with this phone for over a year now. I have had multiple replacements from Verizon. Clearly this is an OS problem. I am running windows 8.1.1 on my phone, and it is defiantly a signal issue. I haven't had any success pinning down exactly the scenario, but it is very aggravating. Anyone have any more clues?

Part of it might be the Verizon network for sure, but I don't think it is the OS. Since experiencing the issues on my HTC One M8 with Verizon I have switched to a Lumia 735 and have not had any battery drain issues. Both running Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
reading all these post, it seems to me like it is a Verizon problem and not the OS or HTC. If it was the OS or HTC people with the phone on AT&T and T- mobile would be having the same problem and 99% of these posts are Verizon, I've never had an issue with my Windows M8 on AT&T.

Not sure it is a VZW problem as I have an M8 on VZW and no overheating problems.

mho1988

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had an HTC One M8 for a little over a year now and started having overheating problems at some point in July. I followed all of the advice on both this forum and others and found that nothing worked. At the time I didn't have any games and the only apps I had on the phone were productivity apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, One Note, Reader, Adobe PDF, etc.). After unsuccessfully solving the problem through doing a factory reset I went to Verizon and they sent me a new phone. The same problem reappeared the day I took the new phone out of the box. I took it to Verizon yet again and, hot enough to cook an egg on, they took it back and swapped it out yet again. The third phone had the same damn problem, too.

I don't recall why, but at some point I decided to turn off my cellular data and found, much to my surprise, that the overheating stopped completely. These days I keep it off almost all the time and only turn it on if I'm in an area without WiFi and need access to the internet. Another unintended but positive side effect of turning off the cellular data is that the battery life has lengthened considerably. In the past on days where there was no overheating the battery would barely carry me to the end of the day (and that was only doing some mild internet browsing on news sites and some limited text messaging). These days I can get two full days of use even with a decent level of usage that includes internet browsing, text messaging, playing Halo: Spartan Assault for ten to fifteen minutes per day, playing Tetris Blitz for roughly the same amount of time, and listening to music (stored on the phone) or the FM radio at volume of 11 to 16 for an hour or so.

Turning off the cellular data does not hinder your ability to send or receive text messages, though Cortana and speech-to-text will not work without cellular data enabled. GPS will still provide you with your location and you can still follow directions to a destination, but you generally cannot enter new destinations that are not already stored in your phone. If I need to go to a new place I usually enable cellular data, locate the place I want to go, get directions, and then turn off the cellular data. My phone currently runs Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 which permits the pinning of individual settings to the home screen. I went to the settings menu, tapped and held "Cellular + SIM" and pinned it to the start. If I absolutely need cellular data it's only two taps away if you're already at the home screen, three taps if you're not. See the screenshots I attached to this post. My phone's default language is Chinese, so apologies there, but the settings are in the same order and the functions are the same regardless of language.

I have no clue if this "fix" will work for other people, but this overheating issue seems to be relatively common and the fact that HTC has not yet fixed it is absolutely ridiculous.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151102_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20151102_0003.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I love my M8. Got it in June but now it's been over heating for over a month. :( Yeah turning off the cell does stop it from overheating and it will cool down. I usually do it whenever I feel it get hot but it's so random! Why does this happen and will Windows 10 fix it? I just don't understand how I could go with all these months and finally get it? There has to be another fix somehow...

mho1988

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't recall where exactly I saw this, but I saw somewhere that the overheating is a product of the phone trying to secure a strong data connection. Oddly enough, a few weeks ago the overheating on my phone stopped completely even with the cellular data enabled. Truly a mysterious phenomenon....

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Ok so it's still overheating and getting real bad. Turning off the data helped at one point but now it still overheats. Even when I reset it can possibly overheat. Anyone figured out a real fix besides hard resetting or replacement? Would Windows 10 Mobile fix it?

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
well I can say this- I have been on W10 since October and no over heating one time. Also, though, off cell service (its not my main driver since then either). But I do use it every day on WIFI. When I was on cell service I was having the over heating problem at least once a week.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
So even when on cellular and on W10 you were getting overheating issues? I do noticed if I put it in the fridge it cools it down quickly and stays like that for a bit. I would go W10 but still no update from Insteon and I would hate to loose my IR.

Schmitty63

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
So, after owning for almost 2 years mine has started overheating anytime I send or receive a text. Basically have to restart in order to cool it down after every text use. Annoying as hell. I've done one hard reset to no avail. I haven't added any apps either, still running the same ones for over a year. Is it just not ageing well? I'd hate to get rid of it as there is nothing in the current windows phones available on Verizon that I care to change to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett