[M8] Overheating issues?

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing something similar but the only difference is my phone will not continue to drain but instead restart itselfs which seems to fix the issue. No skype, no dot view, no wifi, no anything really.

Had the phone about 5 weeks now, at first happened once or twice a week I would catch it. Phone would get hot, drain around 7%, then restart itself. Now though its happening 3-4 times per day, for no reason. I literally just was checking my battery level (64%) put the phone down, then saw it restart and now I'm at 58%. Annoying to say the least, losing 15-20% a day for nothing

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is the wifi sense issue. Last night I went to my cousin's house and though she has wifi I didn't have her password or bother with trying to connect to her wifi. Don't need it. It still got hot in my pocket throughout the party. Like it was trying to constantly search for and connect to wifi. Wifi was on, but sense and all those features were turned off. Guess I have to be more mindful, until they fix it.

I myself am having similar overheating issues as of late, and I just got this phone. I do not have developer preview and have had this phone only for about two weeks. I have noticed a couple instances revolving around WI-FI connectivity situations that I think the phone is over-heating. I'm going to check the WI-FI Sense settings tonight, turn it off and report back if that fixes it for me. Another time when the phone got really hot, I noticed it was attempting to connect with my college's WI-FI unsuccessfully. The fact that re-booting the phone does not help makes me more inclined to believe it is related to automatic WI-FI connectivity settings. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It happened twice for me that I know of so far. Before and after the latest update. I am not on DP too. The second time was after I just used Waze. I checked and the app has been shut down too. My only fix is to restart the phone. I have to keep an eye out again when it happens in the future to see what app is running.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
3 things that helped me (not sure which one but I did all 3 at the same time desperate to find a solution).
1. Unpinned Cortona. (this helped on my icon with DP at one point)
2. Turned off WIFI and WIFI sense. I only turn on WIFI when I really need it then I turn if off again.
3. The main thing that may have helped is only charging with the phone charger that came with the phone. As I stated above I mixed chargers that I had from my old icon and 928, and verizon generic wall and car chargers. One time my phone overheated and drained from 40 percent to beyond the dead while idle for an hour or two and I used the HTC charger ever since and I have never again had that issue.
I also download WP Uptime to keep track of my reboots since it would happen quite often when I was away.

I am not saying any of these are facts just some things to try or test out.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
3 things that helped me (not sure which one but I did all 3 at the same time desperate to find a solution).
1. Unpinned Cortona. (this helped on my icon with DP at one point)
2. Turned off WIFI and WIFI sense. I only turn on WIFI when I really need it then I turn if off again.
3. The main thing that may have helped is only charging with the phone charger that came with the phone. As I stated above I mixed chargers that I had from my old icon and 928, and verizon generic wall and car chargers. One time my phone overheated and drained from 40 percent to beyond the dead while idle for an hour or two and I used the HTC charger ever since and I have never again had that issue.
I also download WP Uptime to keep track of my reboots since it would happen quite often when I was away.

I am not saying any of these are facts just some things to try or test out.

After playing around with my WI-FI settings for a bit, I am happy to report that it has not even gotten warm once since I turned off WI-FI sense and WI-FI altogether. Today I am experimenting with only connecting to my home WI-FI (still keeping WI-FI Sense off).

@drufranco, in response to your post I have never used different chargers and I still had overheating issues, so from what I can narrow down I'm almost certain these overheating issues are largely tied to something with WI-FI configurations. (By the way the overheating occurred for me before and after the latest HTC update that I received from Verizon). Cortana has never seemed to be an issue for me either.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Had this happen one time, after I enabled wi-fi sense. Drained the battery in a couple of hours. Turned wi-fi sense off and only connect on my home network, and it hasn't happened since. Eight hours on battery with (admittedly) light usage, and battery typically shows 80 percent or better, and never seems to get warm.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Had this happen one time, after I enabled wi-fi sense. Drained the battery in a couple of hours. Turned wi-fi sense off and only connect on my home network, and it hasn't happened since. Eight hours on battery with (admittedly) light usage, and battery typically shows 80 percent or better, and never seems to get warm.

For a couple days after disabling WI-FI sense, the battery easily lasted me a couple of days. Today however, even with WI-FI sense and WI-FI turned off (slated to turn back on in four hours) my battery suddenly dropped from 40% to 0% in less than a couple of hours. I can't seem to find any consistency with it. The phone just decides to get really warm and the numbers just start ticking down. I haven't started any new app or anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think is if something WI-FI related is still activated depite my having tunred WI-FI Sense etc... off. When it warmed up and started draining today I was at a restaurant that has free WI-FI, but that shouldn't have changed anything because my WI-FI was even turned off.

Has anybody had any luck changing settings for something other than WI-FI?

*Update: For some who have asked I obtained my phone through Amazon for Verizon Wireless as my carrier. Once more again today my battery quickly began to deplete itself, this time despite the fact that my WI-FI was turned off all day. This problem persists despite having turned off all background applications. Battery Saver is providing no helpful information and according to its metrics only 10% of my battery should have even been used. Oddly enough it seems like it can't even accurately predict my battery's life span. The predicted remaining time was wildly oscillating while my phone was warm and the battery was draining. My college roommate and I both bought this phone about the same time and we have similar set-ups but he has not had any overheating or battery drainage problems, I beginning to wonder if these are just a couple of bad phones. Although, I have also heard of some battery drainage issues on the Android side with this phone (but it seemed to be tied to Skype?) I did notice that if I put my phone into airplane mode, I believe the rapid drainage stopped, and the phone cooled off. Once I turned cellular service back on it started draining again though. Not really sure what else to do, except maybe stop by a Verizon store or chat with HTC support.

Last edited:

ames_not_james

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank god I found this forum; I've been dealing with this issue ever since I got the phone in October. The store actually gave me a new one!
In my experience, it was the dot case. The phone would warm up with moderate use and around 30% battery (or maybe that's when I noticed it), the charge would plummet and take a good 3 to 4 hours to fully recharge. Ridiculous.
I stopped using the case and so far, everything is normal.

Carl Smith4

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Got rid if the dot view case and turned wifi sense of and had not had the problem in many weeks. However the problem seems to have returned with the recent update of Facebook.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I contacted HTC support. They asked me to reset the battery contacts by doing the following:

"We're going to reset the battery charging logic on the device. This essentially resets the way the phone and battery communicate, and can help resolve issues like this. To get started, make sure the phone has been charging for the last at least 10 minutes with no interruption and with the phone off. If so, make sure the phone is plugged in and turned completely off. Then you will press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power buttons for a full two minutes. Makes sure all 3 are held in the entire time. Once finished, let go and see if it powers up on it's own. If not, go ahead and attempt to manually start it back up with the power button.

After doing so, please charge the phone fully and run the phone a couple of hours to see if it improves, if the issue persist, please do not hesitate in get in touch with us."

After that, I used it for a few days and overheating issue came back. Called HTC today and they will replace my phone. Hopefully its a phone defect. I am on Verizon, btw.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I contacted HTC support. They asked me to reset the battery contacts by doing the following:

"We're going to reset the battery charging logic on the device. This essentially resets the way the phone and battery communicate, and can help resolve issues like this. To get started, make sure the phone has been charging for the last at least 10 minutes with no interruption and with the phone off. If so, make sure the phone is plugged in and turned completely off. Then you will press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power buttons for a full two minutes. Makes sure all 3 are held in the entire time. Once finished, let go and see if it powers up on it's own. If not, go ahead and attempt to manually start it back up with the power button.

After doing so, please charge the phone fully and run the phone a couple of hours to see if it improves, if the issue persist, please do not hesitate in get in touch with us."

After that, I used it for a few days and overheating issue came back. Called HTC today and they will replace my phone. Hopefully its a phone defect. I am on Verizon, btw.

Wanna know why I think that was BS? You cannot charge a Windows Phone and have it remain off.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thats correct. I just did it anyway, but without the phone plug in. The reset battery icon still show up though - lighting with gear icon.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you experience the overheating, please contact HTC. They replaced mine, and my new one doesnt have the problem, plus the battery last way longer like it suppose to. Definitely a manufacturer defect.

Carl Smith4

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes I agree. I tried everything and the problem would still occur randomly. Verizon replaced my phone and I have had no issues so far.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My replaced HTC started overheating again after 1 week of use. It has happen twice in the last few days. Drained my battery in an hour. I have to bring a battery pack daily now which is frustrating. My Icon is coming to replace this phone.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My replaced HTC started overheating again after 1 week of use. It has happen twice in the last few days. Drained my battery in an hour. I have to bring a battery pack daily now which is frustrating. My Icon is coming to replace this phone.

Sorry for your bad luck with the HTC. Mine has not had any of the overheating that you have experienced. The Icon is a great phone.

Schmitty63

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so after owning for 2 months with no issues whatsoever, mine started overheating and draining battery Monday. I have made no changes to my usage patterns, added apps or uploaded DP. I have to shut down the phone for a few minutes and then restart and it will cool down but if I start using for any reason, starts to heat up again. Frustrating as I love this phone. Guess I'll be heading to Verizon this weekend.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so after owning for 2 months with no issues whatsoever, mine started overheating and draining battery Monday. I have made no changes to my usage patterns, added apps or uploaded DP. I have to shut down the phone for a few minutes and then restart and it will cool down but if I start using for any reason, starts to heat up again. Frustrating as I love this phone. Guess I'll be heading to Verizon this weekend.

Did you check for recent updates to your Apps... Ever since they started allowing Auto-Updates to the Apps, I've had to watch all my devices for strange behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire