01-27-2017 09:12 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    Anyone else have issues with their m8 overheating? It drains the battery super fast, and it just started after the first "critical update," and my device is running developer preview. I have narrowed the cause down to either the Skype app or the Dot View case, possibly both. I'm thinking the update causes the software to not interact good with the case. Idk, I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
    11-17-2014 09:29 AM
    Not I, I am three updates in.
    11-17-2014 09:38 AM
    Do you use the dot view case or Skype?
    11-17-2014 10:08 AM
    Negative.
    11-17-2014 11:29 AM
    I'm wondering why you have DP on the M8 since it already comes with 8.1.1?
    11-18-2014 08:45 AM
    I'm wondering why you have DP on the M8 since it already comes with 8.1.1?
    DP code = newer than 8.1 Update. DP has some performance updates, and little things like scheduling update installation times, and a battery saver live tile.
    11-18-2014 11:14 AM
    I'm on the Developer preview as well. I don't use the dot view case, I do use skype occasionally and I have this overheating/battery drain issue. This started happening sometime fairly recently as I've just started noticing this. It sort of seems like this happens when I get a text message. Not sure. I'll see if uninstalling skype helps.
    11-19-2014 07:41 AM
    So it seems that the DP is at the root of this (from the sample size of five people).
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    11-19-2014 11:09 AM
    I have developer preview and up to date on updates, I have never had a issue with overheating.
    11-19-2014 11:18 AM
    Last week my phone was really bad about it, and after I took off the dot view case and uninstalled Skype I have had it do it once. Prior to removing the two (and it started when I downloaded Skype) it would just randomly get super hot in my pocket and when I would pull the phone out it would be almost dead. Also, I take the dot view case off a lot when I am at home, and I would notice that when I put it in the case, it would start heating on up
    11-20-2014 07:49 AM
    So it seems that the DP is at the root of this (from the sample size of five people).
    No, I'd say Skype.
    11-20-2014 08:12 AM
    I also have the M8 and am on the DP (and installed all the latest updates), however even using Skype heavily for both work and pleasure as well as having the Dot View Case I can say that I do NOT have any issues with the device heating up or random battery drain.

Had the device since it launched on AT&T on the 7th and haven't had a single issue with it yet
    11-20-2014 08:23 AM
    I too have the M8 and running the DP and I have no heating issues, I have Skype installed but no Dot view case.
    11-20-2014 09:15 AM
    Last night I, I reset my phone and restored from backup. No overheating/batter drain yet.

--a
    11-20-2014 12:15 PM
    I have an M8, dot view case, NO developer preview and I have Skype but I never have used it on this phone. My phone got uncomfortably hot this weekend 3 separate times. Once the overheating gets started the battery drained rapidly. At one point I restarted the phone and put it in my pocket and it got hot just sitting there. All three times this happened I was away from home and at a place where there was WiFi available, but I wasn't connected. I got the impression that it may have something to do with wanting to connect to hotspots, but I have no firm evidence for this.
    earlyadapter likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:54 AM
    My M8 did get hot when I first fired it up and started the set up. The warmth stayed also while doing the updates and installing several apps. After everything was completed and set the way I like it, it hasn't got hot like it did before.

11-24-2014 02:57 PM
    I have an M8, dot view case, NO developer preview and I have Skype but I never have used it on this phone. My phone got uncomfortably hot this weekend 3 separate times. Once the overheating gets started the battery drained rapidly. At one point I restarted the phone and put it in my pocket and it got hot just sitting there. All three times this happened I was away from home and at a place where there was WiFi available, but I wasn't connected. I got the impression that it may have something to do with wanting to connect to hotspots, but I have no firm evidence for this.
    I've been without the dot view case or Skype, and its done it to me three times in the week with out the two. This is much less rare than prior. To build off of the wifi idea,, all of these did happen while I was in Wi-Fi range, but not connected to it . That being said, when this problem first came up I was at home, where I was connected to wifi. I'm going to try to go wifi off a bit and see if that has any affect
    11-25-2014 02:18 PM
    Nope. No problems here.
    11-25-2014 02:27 PM
    So my phone got hot today at work, and I decided to test the 'unconnected to available Wi-Fi' theory, and my phone stopped heating after I turned the Wi-Fi off.
    11-25-2014 03:41 PM
    Hate to say it, but mine only seems to heat up when some gaming action is occurring. Have Skype/Dot View/DP installed...

It is worth noting that the DP will NOT have the firmware installed for the HTC products - or at least the newer versions - that are on the One. You may lose Duo-Cam and a few other features if you install it. The only major issue that I could see happening is if the soft keys go away... :)
    11-25-2014 04:12 PM
    After resetting/restoring my phone, the battery drain/overheating issue has gone away. All is good again.
    11-26-2014 10:21 AM
    After resetting/restoring my phone, the battery drain/overheating issue has gone away. All is good again.
    After resetting, did you you install developer preview, as well as all the apps you previously had installed?
    11-29-2014 03:33 PM
    Ok, so I've had many issued with overheating/battery drain.

Not on DP. No Dot View. No Skype. Not around WiFi.

I've been able to stop it every time by simply turning airplane mode on. At first, I would try to just restart, but that would not fix it surprisingly. Turning airplane mode on does fix it for the most part. It stops the heat and the majority of the battery drain, but the battery still drains faster than usual.

HTC needs to fix this. Bad. I'm having to bring my charging cable to work everyday because of this. Huge annoyance.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    12-01-2014 12:52 PM
    Yes I was having these issues as well as of late.
    I decided to upgrade to the developer preview. Same heating issues.
    I ended looking though my email settings for Gmail and it was set to "download my mail based on usage". Originally I had changed this to every two hours so I did and that seemed to fix the overheating until two hours came up and it would overheat again.
    I am assuming for me that it was the Gmail setup (I just use the default Windows Mail account setup, not a developer app). I changed it to "manual" and no overheating issues since. I do get some heat when I charge my phone though.
    Anyways for now I just check my Gmail though the web browser since it is my junk personal email stuff and no overheating or battery drain issues.
    12-01-2014 03:24 PM
    This needs a fix bad, it seems there is no consistent knowledge of what is causing this
    12-01-2014 05:28 PM
80 123 ...