Talk me into an HTC One M8 for Windows (Outcome: Never buying an HTC product again)

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Talk me into an HTC One M8 for Windows

HTC support was helpful. Removing the SIM, rebooting, rebooting again, reentering the SIM and turning back on seems to have fixed it.

... The SIM tray looks a little loose. I bet THATS why people are having reboot issues! And its probably the solution to my problem! If it works like the HTC 8X, some scotch tape around the sim tray to hold it in place will work wonders.

If this scotch tape trick doesn't work, I am never buying anything from HTC again. Problem resumed itself immediately. After two total hour with tech support, we exhausted every solution except sending it in for repairs, which I absolutely refuse to do for a phone that's in the two week return period (since it'll take longer than that to get back.)

Sadly can't verify now due to a lack of scotch tape in the house.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Did someone seriously suggest using scotch tape on a phone that costs this much? You guys will literally try and make a reason to make the m8 work. Lmao I literally can't even with this.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

If this scotch tape trick doesn't work, I am never buying anything from HTC again. Problem resumed itself immediately. After two total hour with tech support, we exhausted every solution except sending it in for repairs, which I absolutely refuse to do for a phone that's in the two week return period (since it'll take longer than that to get back.)

Sadly can't verify now due to a lack of scotch tape in the house.
Check out the Samsung se with Verizon if you take your m8 back. The SE is basically the jack of all trades phone to me.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

Check out the Samsung se with Verizon if you take your m8 back. The SE is basically the jack of all trades phone to me.

How well does it work with Developer Preview?

And the scotch tape is a random idea based on the observation that my SIM tray is unacceptably larger than the nanosim and I'm aware of this fix from the HTC 8X. But you're right, it's ridiculous that this should even be a thought in my mind. For SHAME HTC.

With everything I've read about the build quality issues with the Nexus 9, I'm starting to wonder if HTC WANTS to fail.

At this point I'm done with the HTC experiment. Phone goes back tomorrow, I get an Icon with DP or just run my 822 into the ground waiting for something new. I'm personally never buying anything from HTC again, since I'm pretty well 0 for 2 with them.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

How well does it work with Developer Preview?

And the scotch tape is a random idea based on the observation that my SIM tray is unacceptably larger than the nanosim and I'm aware of this fix from the HTC 8X. But you're right, it's ridiculous that this should even be a thought in my mind. For SHAME HTC.

At this point I'm done with the HTC experiment. Phone goes back tomorrow, I get an Icon with DP or just run my 822 into the ground waiting for something new. I'm personally never buying anything from HTC again, since I'm pretty well 0 for 2 with them.

I am sorry to hear that. I am glad it didn't taint your experience with windows phone.

I can't speak too much on Samsung SE as I never owned one(I only owned/used a M8 windows limited). I am a Lumia guy through and through :D

I peeped into their forums(it's so quiet in that area). I believe there were some complaints early on about the DP causing issues for some people but many people have been able to update with no problems whatsoever. They seem to be really happy with the device.

The SE is the Jack of all trade phone because it has things the icon lacks(the SD card slot and a IR blaster) that the M8 has if that is of course something that matters to you. On the flipside, it's camera is of course weaker than the Icon but miles better than the M8's camera.

Personally I'd advice you to just stick with your 822 or just get an icon....I grew bored with my 1520. I have had it for a year literally and I never keep phones longer than 3-6 months tops. So that shows how much I love it. I got bored with it(and the OS) twice and decided to go iPhone and I literally came back to it.

My boyfriend has the Icon and he loves it :D He returned his M8 Windows for it and I have a friend who does have the SE with Verizon and also returned theirs for the SE. Of course in his case, he is a Samsung ****** so he'll buy anything Samsung lol.

If you are unable to move to At&T for the 830(Such an amazing device btw...I brought one for my little brother over the M8 windows and he is loving it and the fitbit thing) definitely try and get yourself an Icon. And if you don't like the icon(I can't see how lol), the SE by Samsung. Though like HTC, you have to also question their support in the future in releasing things. Though Samsung is actually way better than HTC is with updates. It's updating the Ativ S(2012) aka a phone that came out the same time HTC and the 920 came out.

I'd never buy an HTC windows phone in this present time. And even if they did become better in the future, I'd likely be wary due to the way they handled stuff presently. Now if I was into android, Definitely get an HTC android phone since they only make the best android phones imo

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

I've never owned anything but HTC's and Nokias. That Nokia 822 has been a real trooper, and I shouldn't have strayed back to HTC, considering my bad history with them. I really wanted to give them another chance, but they blew it. I make most of my calls on speakerphone, so this was probably the number one thing that could have gone wrong to make me immediately give up.

Also, ain't nothin' gonna make me give up Windows Phone. I have too much invested in it (personal interest, apps, disdain for Google/Apple, etc).

Does the ATIV SE have that weird pseudo-leather feel a lot of Samsung stuff does? I'm not terribly fond of that. 100 dollars less for new, off contract phoneage does sound nice though... (EDIT: Nevermind, if I buy the SE through Verizon, it costs as much as the M8. They still have Icons at my local store for 500 compared to 600. Time to edge that stuff!)

Stupid hard decisions! If Verizon would just update the Icon, it'd be the simplest thing ever.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I've never owned anything but HTC's and Nokias. That Nokia 822 has been a real trooper, and I shouldn't have strayed back to HTC, considering my bad history with them. I really wanted to give them another chance, but they blew it. I make most of my calls on speakerphone, so this was probably the number one thing that could have gone wrong to make me immediately give up.

Also, ain't nothin' gonna make me give up Windows Phone. I have too much invested in it (personal interest, apps, disdain for Google/Apple, etc).

Does the ATIV SE have that weird pseudo-leather feel a lot of Samsung stuff does? I'm not terribly fond of that. 100 dollars less for new, off contract phoneage does sound nice though... (EDIT: Nevermind, if I buy the SE through Verizon, it costs as much as the M8. They still have Icons at my local store for 500 compared to 600. Time to edge that stuff!).
As far as windows Phone goes, I've mainly owned Nokia. I did own the 8x(lovely device at the time).

I did own HTC android Phones( most of my android phones were android). I loved them up until like 2010-2011 and they fell off for me by then.

Personally I find the speakers on the M8 nice but completely overrated for music. My 1520 may not have the complete BOOM of the M8 but music is great and sounds good. So I find the M8 speakers completely overrated personally.

As far as the SE, it is more akin to the Galaxy S4 than the Gs5 hardware wise :D

LOL if you're going to spend 500 bucks on an Icon or what have you, why not just switch over to At&t and next the 830? Next being Att's version of edge.

Stupid hard decisions! If Verizon would just update the Icon, it'd be the simplest thing ever.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

Because I just switched to Verizon to save money and get actual good coverage around where I live. It's really annoying; Verizon has the good coverage in the outskirts of my city, and I could join my sister's share plan, but they don't have the phones I could buy without hesitation.

(Also, the way I use phones, I honestly don't care a whole bunch about the specs, just as long as it works reliably and has a good battery life.)

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Insult to injury, Verizon charged me a restocking fee because I had swapped out two phones, and wouldn't refund me the cost of the screen protector I'd gotten for the second one. Really hope that Dumb and Dumber Too can make me feel better about life, because I need SOMETHING to go well.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Insult to injury, Verizon charged me a restocking fee because I had swapped out two phones, and wouldn't refund me the cost of the screen protector I'd gotten for the second one. Really hope that Dumb and Dumber Too can make me feel better about life, because I need SOMETHING to go well.

What phone did you end up getting?

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Trust me I know the feeling I swore up and down after my 8x I'd never own HTC again but the one m8 has changed my opinion. Sorry to hear your bad luck with but hey third times the charm lol

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lol yea however my third HTC 8x worked perfectly and it was a shame I dropped it and cracked screen. And I love my m8 so glad I went with this and not the icon

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Lol you should go with HTC if they come up with something even better than M8. However only on Android.. They do pretty good job there with updates. It's their holy grail in centre of attention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel