HTC One M8 For Windows - TMO Wifi Calling

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the the latest dev preview brings back Wi-Fi calling? I'm about to buy the One and this is a big sticking point for me as I get spotty cell service on my college campus.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the the latest dev preview brings back Wi-Fi calling? I'm about to buy the One and this is a big sticking point for me as I get spotty cell service on my college campus.

a dev preview update will not bring wifi calling if it is non existant, wifi calling is baked into the windows device's firmware, and accessed via an app, a dev preview wont touch the firmware, so you are actually waiting on T-mobile to update their firmware

on a less optimistic note.. has anyone actually tried just downloading the app from the store and running it and enabling it? perhaps tmobile derped and baked the features into the firmware, but didnt preinstall the app

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
a dev preview update will not bring wifi calling if it is non existant, wifi calling is baked into the windows device's firmware, and accessed via an app, a dev preview wont touch the firmware, so you are actually waiting on T-mobile to update their firmware

on a less optimistic note.. has anyone actually tried just downloading the app from the store and running it and enabling it? perhaps tmobile derped and baked the features into the firmware, but didnt preinstall the app

Damn I was afraid of that. I might have to hold off on buying it then. That's really disappointing given HTC and Tmo's track record for pushing updates.

Last edited:

Crane Courtier

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

It doesn't even show up as an option when searching.

pcleland79

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where you got your info from, but I have been an 810 user since it came out and it never had and was not capable of WiFi Calling ever. Would have been a great feature considering I fly all over the country to for work, and the new gogo messaging would be awesome. I upgraded to the M8 the day it was finally released after calling tmo every day, going into the stores and checking online repeatedly for it after the "soft launch". But now I'm expecting the WiFi Calling, and I am greatly disappointed to see it missing. I agree with the track record comments about getting an update, as with my 810 I was really disappointed in the lack of tmo support, but I did use the DP to get the new features.. well most of them.. I do think it will be available in the future since they are pushing it and its android cousin supports it.

groovshooter

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So i just got off the phone for the 3rd time with support. My new rep (who was genuinely helpful) told me that this was not flagged as a known issue in their support system for this phone. She told me that things like this are normally communicated about within the support group and she was shocked to hear that everyone was having this problem. Not like we needed more support for the theory that Tmo has no interest in promoting a non Apple or Samsung device.

I was promised a call back in 20 minutes after she reaches out to Windows. I am not holding my breath. I hate to see negative press but I wish that one of the blogs (ahem WC!) would post a small story about T-Mobile not following through on their Uncarrier 7 promise that all smart phones will support wifi calling. On a side note, I saw someone comment on another thread that the Nexus 6 also has this problem at Tmo. Is it too much to ask that people get what they pay for?

I will update this thread if/when I actually get real info from Tmo support.

groovshooter

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK. Official word from Tmo rep is that this feature is now escalated and that HTC/Tmo will release an OTA update "sometime in 2015". The rep was very clear that she has no indication that this will be early 2015. If the Cyan update was any signal, we are looking like next summer if at all. This is more frustrating than I have words for.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So i just got off the phone for the 3rd time with support. My new rep (who was genuinely helpful) told me that this was not flagged as a known issue in their support system for this phone. She told me that things like this are normally communicated about within the support group and she was shocked to hear that everyone was having this problem. Not like we needed more support for the theory that Tmo has no interest in promoting a non Apple or Samsung device.

I was promised a call back in 20 minutes after she reaches out to Windows. I am not holding my breath. I hate to see negative press but I wish that one of the blogs (ahem WC!) would post a small story about T-Mobile not following through on their Uncarrier 7 promise that all smart phones will support wifi calling. On a side note, I saw someone comment on another thread that the Nexus 6 also has this problem at Tmo. Is it too much to ask that people get what they pay for?

I will update this thread if/when I actually get real info from Tmo support.
The problem with the Nexus 6 vs. The M8 is that T-Mobile has actually announced WiFi calling WILL be coming to the Nexus 6 next year.

http://m.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-add-wi-fi-calling-support-its-nexus-6-model-early-2015

Hopefully the same will happen to the M8. WiFi calling isn't a big deal to me, but it is nice to have the option, and I understand the frustration of those that do rely on it. Despite this I am looking forward to receiving mine today!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
OK. Official word from Tmo rep is that this feature is now escalated and that HTC/Tmo will release an OTA update "sometime in 2015". The rep was very clear that she has no indication that this will be early 2015. If the Cyan update was any signal, we are looking like next summer if at all. This is more frustrating than I have words for.
I get the sort of feeling that this launch was sort of a one-off that MS sort of coaxed T-Mobile into doing because they couldn't get a flagship out in time for the holiday season. As a result you get this obscure online niche release with zero fanfare and little to no support from the carrier because practically no one (even inside T-Mobile, it seems) even knows the device exists.

I'm just glad I have jump, because while this was a necessary upgrade for me coming from a 925 with the added storage space and faster processor, I don't think I can see myself sticking with this device long after Windows 10 comes out if there is no WiFi calling by then.

Greggf2k3

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have been dealing with this issue for 3 days on the phone with Tmo support and 2 different phones. I finally got a service rep to admit that it was not supported on this phone and Tmo is blaming HTC. Now they are trying to find a 4G Booster for me. Right now, the phone is a paper weight if I want to make calls from my home.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
As a TMo subscriber I am not happy that my phone is missing a popular feature although I have to admit that with unlimited minutes and good cellular coverage I am not going to miss it.

As a network administrator for a large community college (with limited resources especially compared to TMo, ATT, etc.) I am not at all happy to be subsidizing the large carriers cellular service. Smart phone data and Wi-Fi calling are severely impacting our wireless network and using a good chunk of our costly bandwidth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos