The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-08-2015 10:41 AM
60 123
tools
    i am planning to buy htc m8 but little bit confused should.. and by the way i was thinking m8 is an android phone not windows
    The HTC M8 is available in two versions. One runs Android, the other runs Windows Phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=Q67tNFR0

Of course most people here agree that Windows Phone is by far the more elegant OS, but YMMV.
    12-14-2014 01:21 AM
    Just got mine yesterday. At first, "that's not a Nokia phone". After using it for a few hours, it's beginning to grow on me. I'm coming from the ICON. Even though the M8 is mostly one piece metal, it doesn't feel as well built as the ICON. Still setting it up and making it run as close to the ICON as I can so will reserve final judgement for a few days, weeks.

Update:

It did not take a few days to determine that I miss my ICON a lot. This is a good phone, should satisfy anyone and runs WP 8.1 really smoothly. I just can't get warm and fuzzy about it. I just bought another ICON off Swappa and can't wait to get it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this phone, It's just not a Nokia and that means a lot to me.
    Last edited by aximtreo; 12-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    12-14-2014 07:32 AM
    Just got mine yesterday. At first, "that's not a Nokia phone". After using it for a few hours, it's beginning to grow on me. I'm coming from the ICON. Even though the M8 is mostly one piece metal, it doesn't feel as well built as the ICON. Still setting it up and making it run as close to the ICON as I can so will reserve final judgement for a few days, weeks.

Sorry to hear you left the icon but look forward to hearing your future thoughts.
    12-14-2014 09:35 AM
    I am fairly happy with my m8, but there are a few features im displeased over. The lack of wireless charging is a bummer,( I hollowed out a hole and installed a wireless charger inside my night stand that is now useless) I like the dotview case, but it doesn't seem like the m8 can work as a compass, and the biggest complaint I have is the camera is not as good as my HTC 8x camera. And my m8 had a bad overheating problem before i factor reset it (which fixed it for now)

I bought it for the slow motion video, and yeah its an awesome phone, but I think in order for it to be a top end phone it needs to have all the features available on the market, and a much higher mp camera. Honestly I think Microsoft should embrace windows phone as the "camera phones" of smart phones, and everyone one of them should have at least 20mp (that might sound ridiculous, but its 2014 and they need something to make them relevant)
    12-15-2014 08:27 AM
    I am fairly happy with my m8, but there are a few features im displeased over. The lack of wireless charging is a bummer,( I hollowed out a hole and installed a wireless charger inside my night stand that is now useless) I like the dotview case, but it doesn't seem like the m8 can work as a compass, and the biggest complaint I have is the camera is not as good as my HTC 8x camera. And my m8 had a bad overheating problem before i factor reset it (which fixed it for now)

I bought it for the slow motion video, and yeah its an awesome phone, but I think in order for it to be a top end phone it needs to have all the features available on the market, and a much higher mp camera. Honestly I think Microsoft should embrace windows phone as the "camera phones" of smart phones, and everyone one of them should have at least 20mp (that might sound ridiculous, but its 2014 and they need something to make them relevant)
    You can't really put that on Microsoft. Microsoft specifically has much better phones with camera quality that is better...lumia. This is an htc thing since they are porting it from android so microsoft embracing it has nothing to do with its megapixel.

Besides let Lumia be known for what it is. I don't want Microsoft to Muck around with the cameras simply because i don't want to devalue the Lumia brand. Unless boomsound is coming to all windows phone.

I still dont know whose bright idea it was to give only 4 megapixels in a super high end phone where you have to be careful not to overcrop and zoom. Or the pictures are only suitable for say facebook or instagram.

Should have been at least 8...especially when the iphone 6+ has a top class camera, second to lumia, as well as even galaxy line....and sony and i believe even lg and the new moto.

Htc was being different for the sake of being different and unfortunately the camera is usually the thing it gets nicked for and also the very reason this phone unfortunately goes ignored as it does because most don't want it.

I hear the m9 may finally make htc have a more modern camera. I likely won't get it....but we shall see. If they still carry that stupid ultrapixel in 2015, something is off.
    aximtreo and ajb1965 like this.
    12-15-2014 10:33 AM
    and by the way i was thinking m8 is an android phone not windows
    You can get the phone with either Android or Windows Phone 8.1. Same exact hardware, your choice of OS (before you buy it).
    12-15-2014 03:27 PM
    Sorry to hear you left the icon but look forward to hearing your future thoughts.

LOL. Picking up a used ICON on Tuesday, 12/16. Need a back up and now can decide which I'll use and whick to have for backup.
    paulxxwall likes this.
    12-15-2014 05:06 PM
    I took the plunge today and ordered the M8 from Verizon via an "Edge Up". It should be here Tuesday. I also ordered a horizontal belt case from Amazon.
    Last edited by bmetelsky; 12-15-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    12-15-2014 08:33 PM
    I got the phone delivered today, super quick. Problem was, it was the android version....
    It was probably my mistake. Anyway, went to the store to exchange it, and they wanted to charge me a $35 re-stocking fee. I had to call VZW while in the store to get the fee credited to my account. That was really so that the store, which has the authority to waive the fee, didn't take the hit. This is why I hate going in to this type of store. It's less customer service and more "how can we profit".

The phone is all set up now and works great, so far! I had exchanged my Lumia Icon so will do a short review in a day or so.
    12-16-2014 05:09 PM
    I'm a couple of weeks into mine, and really liking it. Coming from a Note 2, I'm amazed at the the battery life, this thing just sips the juice! Very pleased with the switch to WP as well. Picked up a transparent case that really shows off the great styling of the one M8. Integration with my MS Band has been flawless, with rock-solid BT connectivity throughout the house. Over time, I'm sure some sort of a niggle will show up, but so far I've not found anything that's not to like.
    12-16-2014 05:46 PM
    I just posted and update. I bought another ICON today. Just couldn't stay away from that Nokia goodness.
    12-16-2014 06:15 PM
    Ive had mine since August and have not had any real problems. Just a rock solid phone.
    12-16-2014 06:15 PM

Update:

It did not take a few days to determine that I miss my ICON a lot. This is a good phone, should satisfy anyone and runs WP 8.1 really smoothly. I just can't get warm and fuzzy about it. I just bought another ICON off Swappa and can't wait to get it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this phone, It's just not a Nokia and that means a lot to me.
    Saw your post...was thinking of going from ICON to this but I am afraid I'll miss my ICON and the camera. The XBOX Dot Case is tempting as a fanboy novelty but I'd be better off sticking with the ICON I believe, for now...I'm kind of hoping we may see a Dev. Preview of 10 during the consumer announcement in late January...
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-17-2014 09:48 AM
    I just posted and update. I bought another ICON today. Just couldn't stay away from that Nokia goodness.
    Smart choice :) I made a jump to the iPhone 6+ and the phone was amazing but it wasn't a Lumia and I immediately switched back to my Lumia. Can't give up the goodness :)

Sometimes you have to jump to the other side to truly appreciate that you have the best. I couldn't ever use an m8 as a daily driver as I'd feel like I am missing something plus worried about updates and support, considering it is HTC. It is not a bad phone but I simply want the best experience and I fear htc can't provide that. Good to have you back in the Lumia fam :)
    12-17-2014 10:06 AM
    Saw your post...was thinking of going from ICON to this but I am afraid I'll miss my ICON and the camera. The XBOX Dot Case is tempting as a fanboy novelty but I'd be better off sticking with the ICON I believe, for now...I'm kind of hoping we may see a Dev. Preview of 10 during the consumer announcement in late January...
    I honestly don't see the rage about dot view. As attractive as the m8 is, dotview just makes it look so...cheap and tacky. It is like a poor mans glance imo.
    12-17-2014 10:07 AM
    Your aware the M8 can run the dev preview also right? So anything that comes along via the DP should work on the M8 as well.

I honestly don't see the rage about dot view. As attractive as the m8 is, dotview just makes it look so...cheap and tacky. It is like a poor mans glance imo.
    I don't get the dot view either. Would hate to cover an M8 in that fugly thing. With the double tap to wake feature don't see the need anyway.
    12-17-2014 12:26 PM
    Well it has been 2 months, and I can say I have never been happier with a phone then I am with the M8, I have had zero problems with it and the Battery last forever.

I have been reading the replies on this post and a lot of the other M8 forum posts, and it really seems to me like most of the negative replies could have been avoided by just researching the phone before you bought it. # 1 it is not a Lumia phone, it will not run Lumia app's , #2 it does not have a super great camera but it does have a good camera, #3 No it does not feel like a Lumia ,look like Lumia or is built like a Lumia, witch is the main reason I bought one. Yes it runs the DP and yes it does get all the new Windows updates, no it does not get the Lumia firmware updates, yes HTC does send out updates. I know it is not for everyone just as Lumia's are not for everyone, do a little research before you buy and save yourself some heart ache .
    ajb1965, cbreze, mark233 and 3 others like this.
    12-27-2014 10:49 AM
    Well it has been 2 months, and I can say I have never been happier with a phone then I am with the M8, I have had zero problems with it and the Battery last forever.

I have been reading the replies on this post and a lot of the other M8 forum posts, and it really seems to me like most of the negative replies could have been avoided by just researching the phone before you bought it. # 1 it is not a Lumia phone, it will not run Lumia app's , #2 it does not have a super great camera but it does have a good camera, #3 No it does not feel like a Lumia ,look like Lumia or is built like a Lumia, witch is the main reason I bought one. Yes it runs the DP and yes it does get all the new Windows updates, no it does not get the Lumia firmware updates, yes HTC does send out updates. I know it is not for everyone just as Lumia's are not for everyone, do a little research before you buy and save yourself some heart ache .
    Well said!

This phone sure has a polarizing effect on these forums and to some degree I can understand why. Lumia phones are amazing pieces of hardware, no question about it, but there is a lot of room on the WP landscape for other OEMs to build on and make their own mark. My point is WP can do so much more than just be a support system for amazing cameras, and the more OEM's that jump in and build quality devices bringing their own unique features should be considered a good thing.

I am still waiting for mine... T-Mob and UPS had a miscommunication and instead of next day air it got shipped ground. TMO refunded my shipping costs so it's all good but I am le sad......
    Last edited by ajb1965; 12-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    mark233 likes this.
    12-27-2014 11:35 AM
    Well, be swapping the 3 8Xs I have for 3 M8s on friday. Really looking forward to comparing this phone with my 1520. The line the 1520 is on will eligible for upgrade in April. By then hopefully there will be a 1530 to get. If not, perhaps the M9.
    12-28-2014 11:38 AM
    I've been using this phone for just 24 hrs...and of course I love Windows OS, but the look and feel of this phone is just great. I recently broke my Lumia 1520, and I sure as hell miss it, but there's nothing wrong with some change. This phone is the perfect fit, the weight is just what I'm looking for, and even though I was used to having the massive 1520 in one hand, I'm even more comfortable with the M8. Really good phone, nothing will beat the battery life of the 1520 which gave me almost 2 days without a charge. The M8 is perfectly fine.

P.s.- still worried about it being an HTC but I have some faith...don't really have a choice.
    12-28-2014 02:07 PM
    Still VERY happy using the One on T-mo. I love the blazing speed and the speakers. I watch a fair amount of video on occasion and the speakers are second to none. All day+ battery life. I've never had the phone go less than 45% charge on a day of pretty heavy usage. The One and the L925 are the best windows phones I've used. The 830 is very nice (outstanding camera), but not like the One or the 925 when it comes to overall performance.
    jfdavis17 likes this.
    12-28-2014 06:09 PM
    Still loving it, going on 4 months and I still can not find anything to complain about.
    02-19-2015 10:56 AM
    I passed the two month mark a few days ago and have nothing but praise for this phone.
    mark233 likes this.
    02-19-2015 12:57 PM
    I love my new M8! I finally made the switch to WP after waiting way too long for Sprint to get the hint and start offering WP that were decent. The best they could muster was the Lumia 635, which is a nice, cheap budget phone for someone that has never has a smartphone. Seriously, it has no flash and no front facing camera. Anyway, I had the Android M7 and liked the phone very much, but wanted a WP. So, I switched to AT&T for the better coverage and WP support. I got an upgrade to my HTC One with the OS I have been wanting. Reasons:
    - I have always been a fan of HTC products. I had the Evo - One M7.
    - I love the front facing speakers. I got so much use out of them with my M7. I don't think I could go back to rear speakers again.
    - Build quality is phenomenal
    - Accessories. I can find cases for the phone in my local best buy and radio shacks. I use a case with rear kickstand and belt clip. I can find it easy.
    - Battery life is the best I've in any phone so far. I am sure there is better, but this is my personal best thus far.

The one thing I would change: the camera. There is no argument the camera is weak by today's standards. That being said, I am no photographer. I don't take that many pictures. The camera on board is fine with me.

My daughter switch to AT&T with me. She got the Nokia Lumia 830. That device is also awesome. I would have been happy with that, as well. IN fact, the 830 feels better in my hand. However, I went with the M8 and am still happy. She takes a lot of pictures and cares more for the camera, which is why she wanted a Lumia. She is just as happy as I am. That is two new converts to the OS. I came from Android. She came from iOS. We are both staying for the long run. All hail W10 on the horizon!
    mark233 likes this.
    02-19-2015 03:37 PM
    Got mine the day after it came out on AT&T, coming from a long line of Lumias and I gotta say, I'm still ever as happy with it as I was the day I bought it. Occasionally, I'll have some iPhone 6+ envy with all the app support and what not, but then I actually play with it and realize that it's the same when I had my iPhone 5.

Works flawlessly, backs up seamlessly, camera is great for my needs, and I rebuild it once a month to keep it in tip top shape. Bought a nice case from Hyperion and it looks sexy as hell.
    mark233 likes this.
    02-19-2015 05:13 PM
60 123