HTC One M8 Windows Phone won't turn off when plugged in

udontquit

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I turned off my HTC One M8 Windows phone (just got it 2 days ago) by holding down the power button and sliding the screen down. It successfully shut down. But then when I plugged it in to charge it, it started back up again. So, I went through the shut-down procedures again while it was plugged in, and it turned back on again. It won't shut down and stay shut down. Thoughts? Ideas?

russland

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere, ( I don't remember where) that the OS controls the charging in a Windows phone rather than the SOC. And this is why the device must be powered on to charge.

crash0330

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the reply above, the last 1020 and 920 I had did the exact same thing, so like it was said before, seems to be an OS function rather then the phone itself.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe the HTC 8X (don't know about others) can charge while mostly powered off.
No it can't. as soon as you plug it in, it turns on. All Windows Phones back to WP7 all turn back on when you plug in charger. No getting around it except turning oh quiet time.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Today (12-12-2014) I dumped my Verizon Nokia ICON Win Phone (done with the 'sudden battery drain' issue!!) for an Verizon HTC One M8 for Windows.

Firmware: 2061.30.10602.605
"No updates available - your phone is up to date"

If you plug in the charger when the device is OFF, it *definitely* turns the M8 ON.
​Conversely, if charger is plugged and you turn the M8 OFF, it immediately turns back ON.

GOT to love this forum ... because I was asking myself ... "WTF ??? Why is this M8 powering ON when the charger is in??"

And I was asking myself this because ... I can state DEFINITELY for SURE ... the ICON did *not* do this. ICON was running the 8.0 OS with the most recent update ... when I handed turned it in today at a Verizon Corp store.

As a side note ... I was SHOCKED the store actually had an HTC One M8 for Windows. The 'sales rep' (and I do mean SALES) hates WinPhones and actually tried to get me to do Android ... but nothing new here. The guy was a real aHole ... nothing new there either.

And yes, I got hosed. I have 3.5 months left on Edge for a no cost update. BUT ... I simply could not stand another 3 months of an unreliable smart phone ... with the well documented 'sudden battery drain' issue.

Reeeeeally hoping that is not going to happen with the M8.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Today (12-12-2014) I dumped my Verizon Nokia ICON Win Phone (done with the 'sudden battery drain' issue!!) for an Verizon HTC One M8 for Windows.

Firmware: 2061.30.10602.605
"No updates available - your phone is up to date"

If you plug in the charger when the device is OFF, it *definitely* turns the M8 ON.
​Conversely, if charger is plugged and you turn the M8 OFF, it immediately turns back ON.

GOT to love this forum ... because I was asking myself ... "WTF ??? Why is this M8 powering ON when the charger is in??"

And I was asking myself this because ... I can state DEFINITELY for SURE ... the ICON did *not* do this. ICON was running the 8.0 OS with the most recent update ... when I handed turned it in today at a Verizon Corp store.

As a side note ... I was SHOCKED the store actually had an HTC One M8 for Windows. The 'sales rep' (and I do mean SALES) hates WinPhones and actually tried to get me to do Android ... but nothing new here. The guy was a real aHole ... nothing new there either.

And yes, I got hosed. I have 3.5 months left on Edge for a no cost update. BUT ... I simply could not stand another 3 months of an unreliable smart phone ... with the well documented 'sudden battery drain' issue.

Reeeeeally hoping that is not going to happen with the M8.

All my Nokia phones turned on when plugged in without exception. L520,620,635,720,800,925,930.
My android phones did not. Galaxy S2,S3, note 3.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, apparently "Your results may vary" because I charged my ICON many times with the phone *off* .... such that it would charge faster.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
All my Nokia phones turned on when plugged in without exception. L520,620,635,720,800,925,930.
My android phones did not. Galaxy S2,S3, note 3.

Yes they did, you just did not realize it. The battery charging icon on the Android screen is part of the firmware and sits on the /system partition. In addition, the kernel controls charging rate and methods. It usually uses the recovery kernel so that you do not ruin your phone if your primary kernel somehow becomes corrupted. Of course, aside from Nexus devices, that is rather hard to do unless your have an unlocked NAND, bootloader, and root.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro