The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-20-2015 09:08 AM
82 1234
tools
    "Budget phones" are the only reason WP has above a 0.5% market share.
    Budget phones are what is holding Windows Phone up.
    *Whispers* Hey you guys are a bit wrong there :P

Windows Phone 7 had hardware that was identical(Remember the LG quantum, HTC HD7, HTC Surround, and Samsung Focus).

Budget windows Phones didn't actually come out until the Nokia 710 which technically wasn't a total budget phone and the HTC radar.

Market Share was in the high 1 and low 2s at that time :D

Again you guys should do some research if you're going to make those claims. But I will agree...Budget windows phone is what has brought the market share even higher and continues to grow it today :) But we can attest that to Lumia phones. not the other low budget and midrange options<3
    12-31-2014 07:55 PM
    *Whispers* Hey you guys are a bit wrong there :P

Windows Phone 7 had hardware that was identical(Remember the LG quantum, HTC HD7, HTC Surround, and Samsung Focus).

Budget windows Phones didn't actually come out until the Nokia 710 which technically wasn't a total budget phone and the HTC radar.

Market Share was in the high 1 and low 2s at that time :D

Again you guys should do some research if you're going to make those claims. But I will agree...Budget windows phone is what has brought the market share even higher and continues to grow it today :) But we can attest that to Lumia phones. not the other low budget and midrange options<3
    Windows Phone 7... is not Windows Phone 8.

So you're lecturing me to do some research and claim that a 1% market share proves your point. I dont think so.

It's been well documented that the next billion or two smartphone users will come from developing markets, that won't be looking for high end phones. And its not just the major brands, but the smaller, local Asian OEMs that will become more & more important.
    01-01-2015 02:39 AM
    Wow this got out of hand fast.

Anyway, regarding WP10... I do not foresee any technical reason why the M8 wouldn't get WP10 through the developer preview, at least.

I think HTC will officially update to 10 too, but that's just my gut feeling.
    01-04-2015 05:27 PM
    I just wonder... If you say "Hey Cortana" while you are out home, will like 10 phones reply you from people's pants? XD
    01-04-2015 05:33 PM
    I just wonder... If you say "Hey Cortana" while you are out home, will like 10 phones reply you from people's pants? XD
    Unless you are at a Windows Phone convention, I don't think you will find 10 phones to reply. ;)
    01-05-2015 02:56 AM
    I read that you must say this EXACTLY the same every time to be recognized. So it is not just the words, but your voice/tone.
    01-05-2015 07:57 AM
    Unless you are at a Windows Phone convention, I don't think you will find 10 phones to reply. ;)

In family I find at least other 3 Lumias lol
    01-05-2015 12:14 PM
    In family I find at least other 3 Lumias lol
    You are still short 7 devices, hehe.
    01-05-2015 01:04 PM
    You are still short 7 devices, hehe.

I have an idea: "Free beer for Windows Phone users" giant sign. I'll get the damn 10 at any cost!
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    01-05-2015 04:15 PM
    Since there's a training session I wonder if you can train for another phrase as well. Like Yo Cortana or Hey WallE?
    01-06-2015 07:55 AM
    I don't know about that... When you look at AT&T right now, the only premium Lumia WP they have in house is the 1520. The 920 and 1020 are both gone. That leaves the beast of a device or the 635 as their current offerings. I'd be inclined to stick with the M8 there. I'd consider the non-contract 635 as the next best option.
    Actually I am hoping for something like the 1520 to come to Verizon. I think I can now handle a phone larger than the 5" that I am accustomed too.
    01-06-2015 02:00 PM
    It is NOT an exclusive feature of Nokia/Microsoft. There is no reason for the M8 not to get this feature.
    Actually yes it is. Microsoft themselves said it to be a Nokia, Microsoft exclusive. Though the M8 can have it HTC had to make the update for it to have it. I read that Microsoft isn't planning on making for other phones except Nokia/Microsoft
    01-14-2015 01:51 PM
    Actually yes it is. Microsoft themselves said it to be a Nokia, Microsoft exclusive. Though the M8 can have it HTC had to make the update for it to have it. I read that Microsoft isn't planning on making for other phones except Nokia/Microsoft
    Source? Its easy to make claims of all sorts of things on the Internet.
    01-16-2015 10:15 PM
    This is just likely a Lumia thing.

Especially if the processors in the SE and the m8 are the same or better(as minute as the difference is) since these phones lack sensorcore.

Based on Daniel article the other day, the phone also appears to need denim firmware. The fact this feature has been announced like almost 6 months ago....for Lumia should be the writing on the walls.

I say this because I think people who use m8 should out the pitchforks down and deal with it and not pass along false information to unaware customers.

A user at work came in complaining that Cortana didn't work like google now on his m8 windows and I had to explain to him why it wouldn't and he left with an 1520.
    Last edited by eric12341; 01-19-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    01-16-2015 10:26 PM
    Lmfao ^ I'd take the M8 over the 1520 any day. The 1520 is just too damn big for my liking. As for the Hey Cortana feature working or not working, I dont really care. I'd probably never use it anyway.
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    01-17-2015 04:33 PM
    Lmfao ^ I'd take the M8 over the 1520 any day. The 1520 is just too damn big for my liking. As for the Hey Cortana feature working or not working, I dont really care. I'd probably never use it anyway.
    Old phone, old tech, too big.

Who wants to put a tablet to their ear?

As for hey cortana, yeah it's a gimmick. First thing I turned off on my turbo was voice activation.
    01-17-2015 05:15 PM
    I have heard zero about it coming to the M8. I have also heard zero that it won't.

I am getting out my calculator...

0+0= no information either way.....

My bet is that it is a Lumia exclusive. Understand I was pushing for Nokia exclusives to become universal to all OEMs long before it was cool:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...te-growth.html

So I have long been in favor of MS supporting HTC, Samsung, and all other present/future OEMs with whatever WP features they can. I do not think there are Windows 8 tools just for the Surface that other Tablet makers can't use. Not sure what value there is in approaching smartphones any different.

That doesn't mean I think they will, just that they should.
    mark233, sixseven and ajb1965 like this.
    01-17-2015 06:31 PM
    Since we now know Lumia camera is coming to all WP devices, it's not inconceivable to think that it just wasn't worth updating 8.1 universally. We could see a broader range of features (hey cortana included) baked in 10 for all devices and working or not based on device performance as iOS does it.
    Last edited by Br1t; 01-17-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    snowmutt and sixseven like this.
    01-17-2015 07:21 PM
    Ugh don't remind me. I do hope this is a rumor as it hasn't been officially confirmed about Lumia features going to non Lumia phones. It would seen highly stupid of Microsoft to devalue and slight their loyal customers to appease those they aren't making profit off of(non Lumia owners).
    Of course even if it is true, as annoying as tthis is to imagine Lumia apps on non Lumia phones, its not like phones like the m8 or se will suddenly become better with the camera and what not....since tthat would also require preview which I am not sure but I heard rumor that Nokia still holds claim to that.

Sigh, mmicrosoft really does make it hard to be a fan of theirs when they do silly stuff like this.
    How on earth does MS providing current Lumia features to other devices "devalue and slight their loyal customers"? Last I heard, Microsoft wanted Windows Phone to succeed. They bought Nokia's mobile operation, and it's their prerogative to fold that tech into their OS and/or general offering.

Let me ask my question a different way. Do you really care what camera app I have on my phone? If you do, I believe you are too emotionally invested in the "Lumia" brand. You might want to ponder that for a few minutes before you fire off a reply.
    bmetelsky and cbreze like this.
    01-18-2015 09:53 PM
    How on earth does MS providing current Lumia features to other devices "devalue and slight their loyal customers"? Last I heard, Microsoft wanted Windows Phone to succeed. They bought Nokia's mobile operation, and it's their prerogative to fold that tech into their OS and/or general offering.

Let me ask my question a different way. Do you really care what camera app I have on my phone? If you do, I believe you are too emotionally invested in the "Lumia" brand. You might want to ponder that for a few minutes before you fire off a reply.
    Interesting Observation....
    I notice that most of the people who clamor for wanting the Lumia apps are the ones who are usually more often than not bashing the Lumia products in favor of their hardware they chose. Hmm, interesting.

Removing features that are signature to and made for Lumia phones and placing them on others....taking a big reason people brought your products in the first place and just giving it to those who you're not making any profit from is devaluing
    TThe brand.

I couldn't care less what camera app you use. I do care that Microsoft is taking exclusive features from products that sell to accommodate products that don't and those who chose to buy others(the minority).

It's like the nexus brand of android. There are exclusive features and perks that those phones have and why people prefer those devices.

What I find hilarious is the fact people whine that Microsoft should make Lumia apps exclusive instead of demanding all OEMS make their apps available for download.

Why exactly can Samsung or HTC or anyone else have their exclusive features but Lumia can't. I certainly don't expect HTC to make their stuff for my Lumia nor do I want any of their crap on my phone. I understand that they made those apps for their customers :) same with Lumia apps.

Something tells me had Nokia kept Lumia and still went android, Lumia would have kept selling and the features would be exclusive :P but hey maybe the apps will help HTC sell more products lmao

Because you know that's what is holding HTC and windowsphone back. :D The fact that Lumia has exclusive features(Hey cortana) and exclusive apps that the others don't and once the other OEMs get those apps, we'll suddenly sell a lot more windows phones.

/s
    Last edited by Superboy Micah; 01-19-2015 at 03:07 AM.
    01-19-2015 02:56 AM
    Hey Cortana is NOT a Lumia exclusive.
    01-19-2015 11:21 AM
    No more arguing please.
    Anymore attacks or off topic and I'll close this.

Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    01-19-2015 11:48 AM
    Hey Cortana is NOT a Lumia exclusive.
    It appears to be that way. While there is no evidence to officially support this, do you have any to back up that it is not or is this wishful thinking?
    Since it aappears to require sensorcore, which non Lumia lack, it does appear to be a Lumia exclusive at least for now.
    01-19-2015 12:00 PM
    If MS is giving everyone the Lumia camera software, there is no reason why they couldn't include sensorcore as well.
    Last edited by Adrynalyne; 01-19-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    01-19-2015 03:47 PM
    Interesting Observation....
    I notice that most of the people who clamor for wanting the Lumia apps are the ones who are usually more often than not bashing the Lumia products in favor of their hardware they chose. Hmm, interesting.

Removing features that are signature to and made for Lumia phones and placing them on others....taking a big reason people brought your products in the first place and just giving it to those who you're not making any profit from is devaluing
    TThe brand.

I couldn't care less what camera app you use. I do care that Microsoft is taking exclusive features from products that sell to accommodate products that don't and those who chose to buy others(the minority).

It's like the nexus brand of android. There are exclusive features and perks that those phones have and why people prefer those devices.

What I find hilarious is the fact people whine that Microsoft should make Lumia apps exclusive instead of demanding all OEMS make their apps available for download.

Why exactly can Samsung or HTC or anyone else have their exclusive features but Lumia can't. I certainly don't expect HTC to make their stuff for my Lumia nor do I want any of their crap on my phone. I understand that they made those apps for their customers :) same with Lumia apps.

Something tells me had Nokia kept Lumia and still went android, Lumia would have kept selling and the features would be exclusive :P but hey maybe the apps will help HTC sell more products lmao

Because you know that's what is holding HTC and windowsphone back. :D The fact that Lumia has exclusive features(Hey cortana) and exclusive apps that the others don't and once the other OEMs get those apps, we'll suddenly sell a lot more windows phones.

/s
    This is so far out there, I'm not sure I know how to respond.

I am not clamoring for anything. You assume too much. I had Nokia Camera on my Lumia 810. It was nice, but I preferred the default camera app. On my M8, I prefer the HTC camera app. If 'Hey Cortana' comes to the M8, I seriously doubt that I'll use it.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Microsoft isn't looking to continue the Lumia exclusives. It creates confusion around a brand/product that is already WAY behind the curve. Let me explain. If someone asks be about my phone, the conversation usually goes something like this:

Them: Is that one of those windows phones?
    Me: (enthusiastically) Yeah.
    Them: Ok... I've saw one in the store and the sales rep told me not to get it. Do you like it?
    Me: Yeah, it's awesome.... (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

The conversation does NOT go like this:

Them: Is that one of those windows phones?
    Me: (enthusiastically) Yeah.
    Them: Is it a "Lumia"? I heard those are better than the non-Lumias.
    Me: Ummmmm, Ok.... (thinks to myself, 'this guy's a weirdo') No, this is the HTC One M8, same hardware as the Android version. (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

Also, you revealed your biases in that rant. You really have an axe to grind with HTC, don't you? I don't. I am rooting for Window Phone. I want every OEM that supports it to be successful. I want the ecosystem to grow. I want all app makers to think of WP as a must-be-a-part-of platform. My next phone might be a Lumia, or whatever Lumia evolves into, but it might not be. I have an open mind. Do you?
    01-19-2015 04:22 PM
82 1234