Hey Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
the 630 use sensor core but snapdragon 400 and while the m8 does not use sensor core it has the snapdragon 8xx. this is bullsh*t if ms doesn't work away round to give hey cortana to m8 users. I am on 920 at the moment currently awaiting a windows "mobile" 10 flagship replacement.

compare.jpg

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's coming with the Denim firmware update which is Lumia only so no it isn't coming to any other device.

Operating System is Microsoft, firmware is individual manufacturers responsibility. Up to HTC

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Why is it BS? It's Microsoft's prerogative to retain some exclusive features on their hardware if they so desire. That's like saying all WP's should support dot view cases. And by the way if you've ever used OK Google, speech activation is not really not that big of a deal IMHO.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Why is it BS? It's Microsoft's prerogative to retain some exclusive features on their hardware if they so desire. That's like saying all WP's should support dot view cases. And by the way if you've ever used OK Google, speech activation is not really not that big of a deal IMHO.

I'm starting to feel that this is the exact approach MS is taking now WP is given out free to OEM's. They will get their money back in Lumia sales by holding back certain features. It will be upto the individual OEM's to offer their differentiation. That being said, it's doesn't give MS license to rip off OEM features like they just did with attentive phone / motion launch if that's the path they are taking.

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
well MS isn't going in the right direction because all of last year towards mid of this year the biggest carrier in my country was pushing Nokia windows phone which is the only reason I am using the OS. Ever since the acquisition of Nokia they are no longer pushing the windows OS. So if they know what I know they better work close to HTC to get Hey Cortana working. I am one of those persons getting pissed by their delays and slow services so they better pull their socks up and get it together.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
the 630 use sensor core but snapdragon 400 and while the m8 does not use sensor core it has the snapdragon 8xx. this is bullsh*t if ms doesn't work away round to give hey cortana to m8 users. I am on 920 at the moment currently awaiting a windows "mobile" 10 flagship replacement.

View attachment 92519

SENSORCORE and 800 and 801 processor. Presently only the Icon, 930 and 1520 have both. That is why Lumias with less processors but sensorcore still don't have it and those with the processor but no sensorcore(Ativ SE and M8) don't. It may change in the future but who knows. As far as today, it's a Lumia only feature that is AMAZING.

well MS isn't going in the right direction because all of last year towards mid of this year the biggest carrier in my country was pushing Nokia windows phone which is the only reason I am using the OS. Ever since the acquisition of Nokia they are no longer pushing the windows OS. So if they know what I know they better work close to HTC to get Hey Cortana working. I am one of those persons getting pissed by their delays and slow services so they better pull their socks up and get it together.

Why would they work with an OEM that barely sales anything for them? More like they better get to it and bring the feature to their other lumias first and foremost. Maybe not the 520/530/630 but at least their 1GB lumias.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

It actually kind of is. The Android users like it, especially since you don't need to press a button. It's why iPhone users wanted Siri active all the time instead of when it is plugged up.

But you make a good point...Microsoft maybe a Software provider of Windows Phone but it is now also an OEM and a competitor of HTC. It gave HTC the dot view case thing with Cortana. Why can it not have its on exclusive features and apps?

Nobody demands that HTC bring Dot View to Lumias, do they? For the love of God, please keep Dot View on the M8. It's tragic and tacky looking. Or HTC's apps....But they always demand Lumia apps. Even in the Nokia days, they demanded the Lumia apps.

It's not spitting in the face of anyone like someone above claimed.. HTC has the right to have their apps exclusive. I don't want them. I've already had most of their apps on my Lumia...Be it Storyteller, Creative Studio, Etc etc.

In that case, all Lumia features should be on all Windows Phone...All Samsung ATIV and HTC m8 features should be on Lumias since EVERYONE wants everything and the redundant experience.

There's a reason why WP 8.1 is better than Windows Phone 7. Because every phone has the same OS but their own unique and interesting aspect and features. In the WIndows Phone 7 days, there was little differentiation between any of the phones and little identity.
I'm starting to feel that this is the exact approach MS is taking now WP is given out free to OEM's. They will get their money back in Lumia sales by holding back certain features. It will be upto the individual OEM's to offer their differentiation. That being said, it's doesn't give MS license to rip off OEM features like they just did with attentive phone / motion launch if that's the path they are taking.

How is that Ripping off OEM features? HTC did not create Attentive Phone? I had been using that on my Samsung Android phones since years ago.

I agree with you though. Hold back certain features, Make Lumia the envied windows phone of the bunch and the PREMIUM experience and recoup money through them.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Idk why people keep claiming that the feature is coming to m8. Isn't one of the key components the hey Cortana feature is sensorcore which is a LUMIA ONLY hardware aspect.

Meaning only three phones are actually capable of it right now. Unless the m8 has sensorcore why do you guys keep saying it will get it.

Having finally gotten my hands on the 930 unlocked and with denim I have to say the fact I can launch it without touching it is making me weep I am still on cyan and not denim with my 1520. It's an awesome feature

'Hey Cortana' for Lumia 630 - Microsoft Community

Go read up on sensorcore. It requires hardware (Snapdragon 400+), plus software. Now that Microsoft owns it, they can add the software portion to the OS. Problem solved for everyone. If they do not, well, bon voyage WP. Microsoft cannot float the platform alone, no matter how much you want to see that. See RIM for what happens when you try and no longer have an ecosystem or user base to keep you on top.

I don't want to see WP die, but if MS is planning on holding back features from OEMs, then they deserve to fail.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I would be very careful about that. There's a distinct difference between Update and Upgrade. MSFT continued to Update XP 10+ years after it's release, but that didn't mean you were eligible to receive Vista or Windows 7. Updates to me means updating Sense, corrective patches and HTC apps, not the OS itself.

I did a little more poking around HTC's website, and found this link:

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

From the webpage:

HTC is focused on providing timely software updates for HTC Sense? innovation, Windows Phone releases, the Eye Experience, and major Google Android? releases. In an effort to bring transparency to this process, we will be marking the steps of preparation and our progress, by device and carrier.

This sounds a little more optimistic than "updates". I don't like how they differentiate between Windows Phone releases and "Major" android releases, though.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I did a little more poking around HTC's website, and found this link:

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

From the webpage:

This sounds a little more optimistic than "updates". I don't like how they differentiate between Windows Phone releases and "Major" android releases, though.

Uh, you seriously overlooked the fact that it says "GOOGLE ANDROID RELEASE ADAPTATION STAGES" right below that paragraph... Not much is said about Windows at all. The issue is that the hardware may not support something that MS does in the future. Just like the compatibility issues that the 8X had with the 8.1 update... You just don't know how Win 10 will play with the hardware yet.

Now I'm not going to say that Win 10 isn't coming to the M8, but everyone is so excited about something that isn't happening for another 6 months and HTC knows it. The M8 for Windows (VZW) was already updated once, so I think that shows that HTC is serious about keeping on track with the updates, but changing the OS all together might creates some unforeseen issues. We will just have to wait and see.

As far as the actual Hey Cortana feature, I think it is part of the Win 10 rollout - which we should see in the Tech Preview soon enough if it is going to be there or not - so it's probably going to make it on to the mobile device version as well. It's important to remember - if/when Win 10 comes - it is going to be a computer OS on a mobile device - not the just the same old Windows Phone we know and love.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Go read up on sensorcore. It requires hardware (Snapdragon 400+), plus software. Now that Microsoft owns it, they can add the software portion to the OS. Problem solved for everyone. If they do not, well, bon voyage WP. Microsoft cannot float the platform alone, no matter how much you want to see that. See RIM for what happens when you try and no longer have an ecosystem or user base to keep you on top.

I don't want to see WP die, but if MS is planning on holding back features from OEMs, then they deserve to fail.

Bon Voyage WP? More like Bon Voyage HTC, Samsung and others....aka the other 3 percent. That argument would actually be valid if those other OEMS combined together even made up 20 percent let alone 10 percent of the overall marketshare for windows phone.

Losing 1-2 million phones is not good of course but it doesn't spell the end of the platform. No matter how much you want to see that, NOKIA and now Microsoft IS what is holding the platform up presently. It's like you are being willfully blind and refuse to acknowledge that.

I'll give you another scenario. In the WP7 days, before Nokia...when Dell and LG begin to diss and leave WIndows phone and HTC and Samsung also begin slowing down their releases and barely supporting it...there was a time people were worried that that spelled the end of Windows Phone.

What happened? Nokia joined and Lumia became a thing and nobody really even mentions Dell or LG except in passing. Huawei is now off WIndows Phone...Again, irrelevant.

When your Market Share looks like this...Losing any of the other OEMs wont matter because they do nothing really for the platform now. But of course you choose to see it how you want despite facts proving that losing OEMs has really not hurt the platform anymore than having them helps the platform. But yes let's appease the 2 percent of people who brought an HTC and bring all Lumia apps and features to the others because you guys chose that phone and devalue the Lumia Brand/Majority.

See the screenshot below...this is just a week ago. HTC's marketshare has dropped despite the M8 windows being on now 3 carriers(in their defense, it has only been on out on T-Mobile and Att for over a month) yet I hear absolutely nothing about this device at work or in my inner circles.
a1af22bcd0c33d60596101bb1d2f4975.png

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Bon Voyage WP? More like Bon Voyage HTC, Samsung and others....aka the other 3 percent. That argument would actually be valid if those other OEMS combined together even made up 20 percent let alone 10 percent of the overall marketshare for windows phone.

Losing 1-2 million phones is not good of course but it doesn't spell the end of the platform. No matter how much you want to see that, NOKIA and now Microsoft IS what is holding the platform up presently. It's like you are being willfully blind and refuse to acknowledge that.

I'll give you another scenario. In the WP7 days, before Nokia...when Dell and LG begin to diss and leave WIndows phone and HTC and Samsung also begin slowing down their releases and barely supporting it...there was a time people were worried that that spelled the end of Windows Phone.

What happened? Nokia joined and Lumia became a thing and nobody really even mentions Dell or LG except in passing. Huawei is now off WIndows Phone...Again, irrelevant.

When your Market Share looks like this...Losing any of the other OEMs wont matter because they do nothing really for the platform now. But of course you choose to see it how you want despite facts proving that losing OEMs has really not hurt the platform anymore than having them helps the platform. But yes let's appease the 2 percent of people who brought an HTC and bring all Lumia apps and features to the others because you guys chose that phone and devalue the Lumia Brand/Majority.

See the screenshot below...this is just a week ago. HTC's marketshare has dropped despite the M8 windows being on now 3 carriers(in their defense, it has only been on out on T-Mobile and Att for over a month) yet I hear absolutely nothing about this device at work or in my inner circles.
View attachment 92527

I'm not having this convo with you again. You lack the business sense to understand what is going on and what needs to happen for WP success.

My bon voyage WP was not because I think HTC leaving will hurt. I think all OEMs abandoning them will, however. Again, you don't have the business sense to comprehend why that would be bad. If MS wants anything other than rock bottom market numbers, they will not abandon OEMs.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having this convo with you again. You lack the business sense to understand what is going on and what needs to happen for WP success.

My bon voyage WP was not because I think HTC leaving will hurt. I think all OEMs abandoning them will, however. Again, you don't have the business sense to comprehend why that would be bad. If MS wants anything other than rock bottom market numbers, they will not abandon OEMs.
Good let's not :) You say I lack business sense, perhaps that's true. Hence why my job is marketing and actually getting people interested in products :)

And i think you put much stock in things that have otherwise proven to be highly irrelevant, i.e. The other OEMs

:)

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
HTC or Samsung leaving could leave a mark in other ways. While HTC and Samsung don't have a significant number of units in the field compared to Lumia, they are major brand names and that carries some weight, especially to someone that might be on the fence about WP and would be more apt to try it on a handset brand they are familiar with. Lumia makes brilliant devices, no question about it. However WP has become somewhat of a niche product and is too often pigeonholed as the OS for camera enthusiasts when in reality it offers much more.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC or Samsung leaving could leave a mark in other ways. While HTC and Samsung don't have a significant number of units in the field compared to Lumia, they are major brand names and that carries some weight, especially to someone that might be on the fence about WP and would be more apt to try it on a handset brand they are familiar with. Lumia makes brilliant devices, no question about it. However WP has become somewhat of a niche product and is too often pigeonholed as the OS for camera enthusiasts when in reality it offers much more.

But the issue with Windows phone has never been the oem or lack thereof. So a person hesitant about windows phone isn't likely going to be hesitant about the os but because of the lack of apps.

I desperately tried to get my friend to get a Lumia and he said the phone was nice but it lacked apps like clash of clans and others he likes.

Samsung is a prime example. They've released one windows phone this year on one carrier and rumor has it they may not be making anymore. Most people don't even realize that there is a Samsung windows phone on Verizon.

The os is not pigeonholed as the camera enthusiasts os. It's pigeonholed as the os with no apps.

If Samsung or HTC put half as much effort into their windows phones that they do with android, I could see more people buying them but they don't and people don't buy them. It's why I refuse to buy one presently until they prove otherwise they are worth anything to me.

I might even consider the m9, only because I want a new phone and I refuse to wait till fall to get it. Then again I may 'downgrade' and get the Lumia 1330 :p

Sicka Altaar

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Adrynalyne it's becoming pointless. Its best to agree with Superboy that 25/5 = 14 or 2+2=5. We all know you have to you carry the "1" to get "5" when you add "2+2"

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Adrynalyne it's becoming pointless. Its best to agree with Superboy that 25/5 = 14 or 2+2=5. We all know you have to you carry the "1" to get "5" when you add "2+2"
Sigh nobody can ever have a civil discussion because you guys don't want to accept facts.

You point out something factual and somehow that means debate fact and proven stats lol.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Sigh nobody can ever have a civil discussion because you guys don't want to accept facts.

You point out something factual and somehow that means debate fact and proven stats lol.

Facts? You stated that Lumia is the premium brand earlier and they don't even have flagship available in the US lol It's no wonder we can't take you seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb