Hey Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Facts? You stated that Lumia is the premium brand earlier and they don't even have flagship available in the US lol It's no wonder we can't take you seriously.

Lumia is the premium brand and the face of windows phone. And last I check, I can still buy both a Lumia 1520 and Lumia icon in the us. So its not lacking presently and despite HTC being on three carriers, doesn't seem to be helping them much either.

And if we want to be technical, Microsoft is calling the Lumia 830 a flagship as well. I of course don't consider it as one :)

That's fine if you don't take me seriously as I've given up on having an actual l discussion with defensive HTC fans lol

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Uh, you seriously overlooked the fact that it says "GOOGLE ANDROID RELEASE ADAPTATION STAGES" right below that paragraph... Not much is said about Windows at all. The issue is that the hardware may not support something that MS does in the future. Just like the compatibility issues that the 8X had with the 8.1 update... You just don't know how Win 10 will play with the hardware yet.

Now I'm not going to say that Win 10 isn't coming to the M8, but everyone is so excited about something that isn't happening for another 6 months and HTC knows it. The M8 for Windows (VZW) was already updated once, so I think that shows that HTC is serious about keeping on track with the updates, but changing the OS all together might creates some unforeseen issues. We will just have to wait and see.

As far as the actual Hey Cortana feature, I think it is part of the Win 10 rollout - which we should see in the Tech Preview soon enough if it is going to be there or not - so it's probably going to make it on to the mobile device version as well. It's important to remember - if/when Win 10 comes - it is going to be a computer OS on a mobile device - not the just the same old Windows Phone we know and love.

I didn't overlook it. I agree it's completely ambiguous. The web page was clearly built for android, and they shoe-horned in Windows Phone. Square peg in a round hole for sure. That being said, they have still made promises that they better keep in regards to updates.

I'm not overly concerned about Hey Cortana. It seems like a 'me too' feature that I'll bet 90% of users never actually use. By the time Win10 comes along, I'll probably upgrade from the M8 anyway.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
But yes let's appease the 2 percent of people who brought an HTC and bring all Lumia apps and features to the others because you guys chose that phone and devalue the Lumia Brand/Majority.

Devalue? I loved my icon and 928, but it was Verizon who devalued the Lumia's for the consumers. I wanted something current and went with the M8 because there is not much of a choice through my carrier. Had I been on AT&T I would have surely gotten a Nokia.

It's pigeonholed as the os with no apps.

I can concur with this. My daughter and some of her friends switched back to Apple because after roughly a year they were very displeased with the lack of app support that teens seem to need to function for everyday communication and life? For me it works great for business and some basic social and gaming apps.
Microsoft will always have a hard time selling to the youth with the lack of their favorite apps, for adults and business, doesn't seem to be too much of an app gap IMO...

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Devalue? I loved my icon and 928, but it was Verizon who devalued the Lumia's for the consumers. I wanted something current and went with the M8 because there is not much of a choice through my carrier. Had I been on AT&T I would have surely gotten a Nokia.

I don't know about that... When you look at AT&T right now, the only premium Lumia WP they have in house is the 1520. The 920 and 1020 are both gone. That leaves the beast of a device or the 635 as their current offerings. I'd be inclined to stick with the M8 there. I'd consider the non-contract 635 as the next best option.

I can concur with this. My daughter and some of her friends switched back to Apple because after roughly a year they were very displeased with the lack of app support that teens seem to need to function for everyday communication and life? For me it works great for business and some basic social and gaming apps.
Microsoft will always have a hard time selling to the youth with the lack of their favorite apps, for adults and business, doesn't seem to be too much of an app gap IMO...

I think Microsoft will have a hard time selling to youth because they are Microsoft. As much as the "App Gap" pisses me off on occasion, the basics for the kids are there. The issue is there's nothing that makes Windows Phone better anymore. The Smoked By Windows Phone campaign really highlighted the reason to get a Windows Phone. Social Networkers got better access built in to the device - Business users got better calendar and mail functions - Everyday users had live tiles instead of goofy icons... It was BETTER... Now, they don't really give users a reason to choose WP over anything else. They're stuck between being a device and software company and being a services and software company. Not a strong point to be at. Let's see where it goes with the new leadership.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about that... When you look at AT&T right now, the only premium Lumia WP they have in house is the 1520. The 920 and 1020 are both gone. That leaves the beast of a device or the 635 as their current offerings. I'd be inclined to stick with the M8 there. I'd consider the non-contract 635 as the next best option..

Pretty sure there is also the Lumia 830 which launched alongside the m8 for windows....which is what a lot of users(at least in our area) are choosing over the M8 based on my research for work and what not.

Except they didn't. Granted the Cyan debacle was a mess and retiring for whatever reason...At work rumor has it, that it was because of the HTC One M8 possibly. As there was no reason to retire it and not a phone like the Ativ SE or the 928 at the time.

More importantly, with Denim now coming to the 822, 928 and soon the Icon...a lot of my friends who did switch to the M8 more or less "settled" because they thought the Icon was forever on Black and are annoyed to know they could've waited a little longer and gotten Cyan and Denim features. I just tease them about it all the time...Only one of my coworkers/friends actually got the M8 because they actually liked it(they had an 8x and like HTC products). Most people simply settled(the ones I know) and it makes me wonder is that true for a lot of M8 owners. I see many M8 owners here are happy and that is great...but I've seen plenty as well here and other places, who miss their lumia or flat out hated the M8....or those who simply avoid the m8 altogether.

Given my job, I am given the opportunity to actually see the OS in action on many different phones(I actually saw the Dell Windows Phone 7 device recently, my first time) and most people simply avoid the HTC or Samsung hardware because they believe the Lumia line is the premium or the best.

But yes with everyone clamoring that it is not fair that Nokia had the exclusives it had in 2012 and 2013....or that now that Microsoft owns Nokia D&S they should make all their apps available for all windows phone...or release Lumia Camera for WIndows phone, yes that does devalue the Lumia Brand because those are the very reason that many of us begin supporting Windows Phone in the first place. Was because of the Lumia experience and I sincerely hope Microsoft keeps rewarding those who support them and their phones. I don't want to be using the same apps as an HTC person or Samsung person. I want my Lumia experience as I am a Lumia enthusiasts.

I'm 19 and I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest apps.

However my brother is 12 and my other younger brother is 10....For them, they need the latest Game, The Best Snapchat experience, etc etc

However, I have been working with them and their little group of friends to get them on Lumias and they've actually really adapted to it well. I was worried...the 12 year old hates Xbox Music but he loves his Lumia and the apps and what not. The younger one loves the fact that the OS matches his tablet.

I had to do a survey for work and my boss was asking me what do I think could help reach a younger audience/demographic...They need something really cool. Xbox Gaming is something they really need to build upon and push upon.

Use the Lumia Brand and build an amazing Pureview selfie camera along with some amazing Xbox Integration and type of games.

Gaming may be a weakness for windows phone but Microsoft is not fully using that Xbox weapon the best way they can to counter. You may lack Clash of Clans...So Create a great game and actually make it a game that people talk about. Make commercials for it like the stupid Clash of Clans or Beach Boom commercials.

Use the HTC One M8 as a prime example of Xbox Music...Showcasing the phone's speakers against the iPhone and sell Xbox Music pass at a loss to get people in the service and ecosystem as well.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'll go a bit down the road with the 830, but it's not flagship quality... The 800 series has always been midrange at best - and the 930 was/is a better phone that should have been brought in to the mix. That said, I'm not paying $100 for an 830 with a 2 year deal when I can get the M8 for the same deal or better. I mean, they have to giveaway a Fitbit Flex to get people on that deal. They need that 930 or 1030 to come around and really be a flagship device for the Lumia's. Of course, that's not the stuff that is really moving. The 520/530 series sold a ton of devices last year and this holiday season. The 635 did pretty well as well, but with places like Amazon selling it for $50, how is it NOT going to do well? The $30 Lumia 520 is still one of the best phone deals out there.

All of that said, your are so dead on with the marketing aspect. I don't feel the urge to buy a Windows Phone when I see a commercial (did they even run those during the Holidays?) The Apple ad with the lady at the table hearing the duet that her daughter created... Golden! The Samsung ads with Dak and Kristen... Hilarious! Microsoft Surface ad with the annoying take on Jingle Bells... Please stop...

Show me Xbox games - really good ones like Ages of Empires, the new Halo Spartan title, use your video game muscle and bring some titles like Madden, PGA Golf and heaven forbid a team sport besides Soccer to the platform. Grab some really great first person shooter games that are as good as the Xbox titles! Bring the entertainment factor to the next level with that Xbox Music Pass (and make it shareable like every other music service - maybe like 5 devices?) Most of all, make games that are the next big thing, not something that was big a year ago (Candy Crush)...

With the services, it's time to fix the gap there. Let's get Xbox Music fixed up and merged with MixRadio like it should be. Tweak the Apps and give us 2-4 offline mixes with ads! Ads for games and services for Windows Phone! I laugh so hard when I click an in game ad from one of my ad based games and it comes up with Google AdSense! What the heck is up with that... Fix the browser so it stops showing "get the Android App for ______ today" or continue to the Mobile Site. That's just embarrassing...

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sigh nobody can ever have a civil discussion because you guys don't want to accept facts.

You point out something factual and somehow that means debate fact and proven stats lol.

Lets see stats with high end phones only. I guarantee that the %s go up then. 90% of the lumia numbers is probably all mid/low end phones. You are showing HTC which only has 1 high end phone compared against all budget ones...show some real stats bro.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Lumia is the premium brand and the face of windows phone. And last I check, I can still buy both a Lumia 1520 and Lumia icon in the us. So its not lacking presently and despite HTC being on three carriers, doesn't seem to be helping them much either.

And if we want to be technical, Microsoft is calling the Lumia 830 a flagship as well. I of course don't consider it as one :)

That's fine if you don't take me seriously as I've given up on having an actual l discussion with defensive HTC fans lol

Budget phones are what is holding Windows Phone up.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Lets see stats with high end phones only. I guarantee that the %s go up then. 90% of the lumia numbers is probably all mid/low end phones. You are showing HTC which only has 1 high end phone compared against all budget ones...show some real stats bro.

Well since you asked Nicely(Gotta love ad duplex). Make sure you check out the screenshots below :p I really don't mean to be offensive. But I really wished you guys would stop using weak explanations to defend your arguments about why Nokia/Microsoft/Lumia has success and HTC doesn't.

Fact is, even with the Signature branding and the fact Microsoft actually favored the 8x over the Lumia in the early days, the fact HTC had a 2 year head start over Lumia and the fact that HTC technically is a bigger name in the US.....the 8x is proven to not outsell a Lumia.

Perhaps the M8 can outsell the Icon....Let's hope. It's a retired device and the M8 is on 3 carriers. If it can't outsell an icon, that may be a problem.

Comparing HTC 8x to the Lumia 920.....two high end and flagship phones. During this era, The Lumia 920 was only on one US carrier while the 8x launched on THREE carriers(and in different configurations) and then a 4th carrier in 2013....and both had global releases(Canada/Europe).

December 2013:
10.8% were Lumia 920
3.1% were Lumia 925
2.5% were HTC 8X
ea22cc3248a8187a5183afb3302bb906.png

2. August 2013
Lumia 920: 11 percent
HTC 8x: 4 percent
9c0b985b2deba933ea94150c25c46a95.png

3. April 2013
Htc 8x: 4 percent
Lumia 920: 14 percent
a6a407834f624396ee8d1f25fc042d34.png

4. January 2013
htc 8x: 3 percent
Lumia 920: 9 percent
a283b07344233b93ee3f5a7df817d8eb.png

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
"Budget phones" are the only reason WP has above a 0.5% market share.

Budget phones are what is holding Windows Phone up.

*Whispers* Hey you guys are a bit wrong there :p

Windows Phone 7 had hardware that was identical(Remember the LG quantum, HTC HD7, HTC Surround, and Samsung Focus).

Budget windows Phones didn't actually come out until the Nokia 710 which technically wasn't a total budget phone and the HTC radar.

Market Share was in the high 1 and low 2s at that time :D

Again you guys should do some research if you're going to make those claims. But I will agree...Budget windows phone is what has brought the market share even higher and continues to grow it today :) But we can attest that to Lumia phones. not the other low budget and midrange options<3

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
*Whispers* Hey you guys are a bit wrong there :p

Windows Phone 7 had hardware that was identical(Remember the LG quantum, HTC HD7, HTC Surround, and Samsung Focus).

Budget windows Phones didn't actually come out until the Nokia 710 which technically wasn't a total budget phone and the HTC radar.

Market Share was in the high 1 and low 2s at that time :D

Again you guys should do some research if you're going to make those claims. But I will agree...Budget windows phone is what has brought the market share even higher and continues to grow it today :) But we can attest that to Lumia phones. not the other low budget and midrange options<3

Windows Phone 7... is not Windows Phone 8.

So you're lecturing me to do some research and claim that a 1% market share proves your point. I dont think so.

It's been well documented that the next billion or two smartphone users will come from developing markets, that won't be looking for high end phones. And its not just the major brands, but the smaller, local Asian OEMs that will become more & more important.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow this got out of hand fast.

Anyway, regarding WP10... I do not foresee any technical reason why the M8 wouldn't get WP10 through the developer preview, at least.

I think HTC will officially update to 10 too, but that's just my gut feeling.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Since there's a training session I wonder if you can train for another phrase as well. Like Yo Cortana or Hey WallE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte