Hey Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about that... When you look at AT&T right now, the only premium Lumia WP they have in house is the 1520. The 920 and 1020 are both gone. That leaves the beast of a device or the 635 as their current offerings. I'd be inclined to stick with the M8 there. I'd consider the non-contract 635 as the next best option.

Actually I am hoping for something like the 1520 to come to Verizon. I think I can now handle a phone larger than the 5" that I am accustomed too.

asa2015

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
It is NOT an exclusive feature of Nokia/Microsoft. There is no reason for the M8 not to get this feature.

Actually yes it is. Microsoft themselves said it to be a Nokia, Microsoft exclusive. Though the M8 can have it HTC had to make the update for it to have it. I read that Microsoft isn't planning on making for other phones except Nokia/Microsoft

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually yes it is. Microsoft themselves said it to be a Nokia, Microsoft exclusive. Though the M8 can have it HTC had to make the update for it to have it. I read that Microsoft isn't planning on making for other phones except Nokia/Microsoft

Source? Its easy to make claims of all sorts of things on the Internet.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This is just likely a Lumia thing.

Especially if the processors in the SE and the m8 are the same or better(as minute as the difference is) since these phones lack sensorcore.

Based on Daniel article the other day, the phone also appears to need denim firmware. The fact this feature has been announced like almost 6 months ago....for Lumia should be the writing on the walls.

I say this because I think people who use m8 should out the pitchforks down and deal with it and not pass along false information to unaware customers.

A user at work came in complaining that Cortana didn't work like google now on his m8 windows and I had to explain to him why it wouldn't and he left with an 1520.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Lmfao ^ I'd take the M8 over the 1520 any day. The 1520 is just too damn big for my liking. As for the Hey Cortana feature working or not working, I dont really care. I'd probably never use it anyway.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Lmfao ^ I'd take the M8 over the 1520 any day. The 1520 is just too damn big for my liking. As for the Hey Cortana feature working or not working, I dont really care. I'd probably never use it anyway.

Old phone, old tech, too big.

Who wants to put a tablet to their ear?

As for hey cortana, yeah it's a gimmick. First thing I turned off on my turbo was voice activation.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have heard zero about it coming to the M8. I have also heard zero that it won't.

I am getting out my calculator...

0+0= no information either way.....

My bet is that it is a Lumia exclusive. Understand I was pushing for Nokia exclusives to become universal to all OEMs long before it was cool:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nokia-exclusives-all-oems-promote-growth.html

So I have long been in favor of MS supporting HTC, Samsung, and all other present/future OEMs with whatever WP features they can. I do not think there are Windows 8 tools just for the Surface that other Tablet makers can't use. Not sure what value there is in approaching smartphones any different.

That doesn't mean I think they will, just that they should.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Since we now know Lumia camera is coming to all WP devices, it's not inconceivable to think that it just wasn't worth updating 8.1 universally. We could see a broader range of features (hey cortana included) baked in 10 for all devices and working or not based on device performance as iOS does it.

Last edited:

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Ugh don't remind me. I do hope this is a rumor as it hasn't been officially confirmed about Lumia features going to non Lumia phones. It would seen highly stupid of Microsoft to devalue and slight their loyal customers to appease those they aren't making profit off of(non Lumia owners).
Of course even if it is true, as annoying as tthis is to imagine Lumia apps on non Lumia phones, its not like phones like the m8 or se will suddenly become better with the camera and what not....since tthat would also require preview which I am not sure but I heard rumor that Nokia still holds claim to that.

Sigh, mmicrosoft really does make it hard to be a fan of theirs when they do silly stuff like this.

How on earth does MS providing current Lumia features to other devices "devalue and slight their loyal customers"? Last I heard, Microsoft wanted Windows Phone to succeed. They bought Nokia's mobile operation, and it's their prerogative to fold that tech into their OS and/or general offering.

Let me ask my question a different way. Do you really care what camera app I have on my phone? If you do, I believe you are too emotionally invested in the "Lumia" brand. You might want to ponder that for a few minutes before you fire off a reply.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
How on earth does MS providing current Lumia features to other devices "devalue and slight their loyal customers"? Last I heard, Microsoft wanted Windows Phone to succeed. They bought Nokia's mobile operation, and it's their prerogative to fold that tech into their OS and/or general offering.

Let me ask my question a different way. Do you really care what camera app I have on my phone? If you do, I believe you are too emotionally invested in the "Lumia" brand. You might want to ponder that for a few minutes before you fire off a reply.

Interesting Observation....
I notice that most of the people who clamor for wanting the Lumia apps are the ones who are usually more often than not bashing the Lumia products in favor of their hardware they chose. Hmm, interesting.

Removing features that are signature to and made for Lumia phones and placing them on others....taking a big reason people brought your products in the first place and just giving it to those who you're not making any profit from is devaluing
TThe brand.

I couldn't care less what camera app you use. I do care that Microsoft is taking exclusive features from products that sell to accommodate products that don't and those who chose to buy others(the minority).

It's like the nexus brand of android. There are exclusive features and perks that those phones have and why people prefer those devices.

What I find hilarious is the fact people whine that Microsoft should make Lumia apps exclusive instead of demanding all OEMS make their apps available for download.

Why exactly can Samsung or HTC or anyone else have their exclusive features but Lumia can't. I certainly don't expect HTC to make their stuff for my Lumia nor do I want any of their crap on my phone. I understand that they made those apps for their customers :) same with Lumia apps.

Something tells me had Nokia kept Lumia and still went android, Lumia would have kept selling and the features would be exclusive :p but hey maybe the apps will help HTC sell more products lmao

Because you know that's what is holding HTC and windowsphone back. :D The fact that Lumia has exclusive features(Hey cortana) and exclusive apps that the others don't and once the other OEMs get those apps, we'll suddenly sell a lot more windows phones.

/s

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Cortana is NOT a Lumia exclusive.
It appears to be that way. While there is no evidence to officially support this, do you have any to back up that it is not or is this wishful thinking?
Since it aappears to require sensorcore, which non Lumia lack, it does appear to be a Lumia exclusive at least for now.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
If MS is giving everyone the Lumia camera software, there is no reason why they couldn't include sensorcore as well.

Last edited:

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting Observation....
I notice that most of the people who clamor for wanting the Lumia apps are the ones who are usually more often than not bashing the Lumia products in favor of their hardware they chose. Hmm, interesting.

Removing features that are signature to and made for Lumia phones and placing them on others....taking a big reason people brought your products in the first place and just giving it to those who you're not making any profit from is devaluing
TThe brand.

I couldn't care less what camera app you use. I do care that Microsoft is taking exclusive features from products that sell to accommodate products that don't and those who chose to buy others(the minority).

It's like the nexus brand of android. There are exclusive features and perks that those phones have and why people prefer those devices.

What I find hilarious is the fact people whine that Microsoft should make Lumia apps exclusive instead of demanding all OEMS make their apps available for download.

Why exactly can Samsung or HTC or anyone else have their exclusive features but Lumia can't. I certainly don't expect HTC to make their stuff for my Lumia nor do I want any of their crap on my phone. I understand that they made those apps for their customers :) same with Lumia apps.

Something tells me had Nokia kept Lumia and still went android, Lumia would have kept selling and the features would be exclusive :p but hey maybe the apps will help HTC sell more products lmao

Because you know that's what is holding HTC and windowsphone back. :D The fact that Lumia has exclusive features(Hey cortana) and exclusive apps that the others don't and once the other OEMs get those apps, we'll suddenly sell a lot more windows phones.

/s

This is so far out there, I'm not sure I know how to respond.

I am not clamoring for anything. You assume too much. I had Nokia Camera on my Lumia 810. It was nice, but I preferred the default camera app. On my M8, I prefer the HTC camera app. If 'Hey Cortana' comes to the M8, I seriously doubt that I'll use it.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Microsoft isn't looking to continue the Lumia exclusives. It creates confusion around a brand/product that is already WAY behind the curve. Let me explain. If someone asks be about my phone, the conversation usually goes something like this:

Them: Is that one of those windows phones?
Me: (enthusiastically) Yeah.
Them: Ok... I've saw one in the store and the sales rep told me not to get it. Do you like it?
Me: Yeah, it's awesome.... (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

The conversation does NOT go like this:

Them: Is it a "Lumia"? I heard those are better than the non-Lumias.
Me: Ummmmm, Ok.... (thinks to myself, 'this guy's a weirdo') No, this is the HTC One M8, same hardware as the Android version. (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

Also, you revealed your biases in that rant. You really have an axe to grind with HTC, don't you? I don't. I am rooting for Window Phone. I want every OEM that supports it to be successful. I want the ecosystem to grow. I want all app makers to think of WP as a must-be-a-part-of platform. My next phone might be a Lumia, or whatever Lumia evolves into, but it might not be. I have an open mind. Do you?

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If MS is giving everyone the Lumia camera software, there is no reason why they wouldn't include sensorcore as well.

The developers at Microsoft are smart. If the Android M8 can support "Ok, Google" without sensor core, I'll bet the MS devs and can make "Hey, Cortana" work too. Whether or not they do it and it gets incorporated into a update that actual users see is another story.

EDIT: I just realized that I don't know if sensorcore is hardware or software. I was assuming hardware...

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The developers at Microsoft are smart. If the Android M8 can support "Ok, Google" without sensor core, I'll bet the MS devs and can make "Hey, Cortana" work too. Whether or not they do it and it gets incorporated into a update that actual users see is another story.

EDIT: I just realized that I don't know if sensorcore is hardware or software. I was assuming hardware...

Its both. The part the M8 is missing is software.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying Lumia is behind the curve or Windows Phone? If lumia, I have to amuse myself with that because it is not behind the curve.....if you mean windows phone, I can agree with that...though i'd simply would drop the products that aren't selling than Lumia exclusives.

Oh I definitely have an open mind :) I very well may try an HTC. Quite unlikely, especially if it has inferior features compared to my phone I have now(See the camera) but you never know. Stranger things have happened lo. I also want windows phone to survive...For starters it kind of relates to my job and then that would put me into an interesting predicament, wouldn't. But more importantly I want to get awareness out there that this product does exists. That it is not inferior to android or IOS and the app thing is not as bad as people make.

I also wish the best for all OEMs, however I have no problem amusing myself at various ones who screw the OS over...Huawei for example.....I support Lumia(both during Nokia and now Microsoft). I also support Blu heavily.

I do not support HTC nor Samsung(though I will give Samsung a slight pass as they have done slightly better with the OS than HTC ever has. I don't care for either of them.

This has nothing to do with Lumia bias. And it's not bias. I am well aware that HTC's phone has some things my phone does not have. I am also aware that my Lumia does things that the M8 can't do or does it better and in the real world, most of their plusses and minuses are a wash not making any Lumia better than the M8 and the M8 better than Lumia. Which I will always point out anytime someone tries to hype up the M8 as being better due to a marginal processor difference and dismissing a phone like the 1520930 as old tech :D

With the name and power of Samsung and even HTC, they could do so much more with their devices and they don't. So no, I don't have a grudge against them. I simply find them irrelevant. Not because the products are bad(they aren't...they are great) but because of the companies themselves.
It's unfortunate the M8 is made by HTC...I am sure with Huawei the phone probably would have sold more than it has and in the grand scheme of things, the M8 unfortunately won't be that memorable of a device.

With windows 10, I want these OEMs to step it up....I wouldn't care if these features we have on Lumia go to these other OEMs. But I don't like the idea of

A. these OEMs who have done nothing really profiting off of someone else's work. HTC has impressed me with their own apps. While I still find most inferior to Lumia, they've done well thus far.

B. Taking away exclusive features from a SELLING PRODUCT......to give to a not selling product. Because in the end, you are slighting and taking away the very reason people supported your selling product.

I want windows 10 to succeed.....it's certainly the best tablet and Desktop OS out there presently. Microsoft has set a bar high with Surface Pro 3.

I want them to succeed with the upcoming Windows Phone future.. Stop making your own OS wait for apps and stop waiting on these OEMs like HTC and Samsung to save a platform YOU should be saving. HTC is not a flagship to carry the OS....it's quite obvious next to know one wants it. Even less than Lumia flagships. Until HTC and Samsung can step it up, then there is no reason to deal with them or acknowledge them because we all know, Microsoft include, that those two companies released amazing hardware and yet the devices are irrelevant simply because the companies do nothing with them at all.

Use a ATIV in one of their iPhone bashing commercials....I haven't seen an HTC commercial in ages, but didn't they have some kind of sponsorship with Robert Downey Junior. The only commercial I saw with the HTC was from Microsoft with Cortana and not HTC themselves lol
This is so far out there, I'm not sure I know how to respond.

I am not clamoring for anything. You assume too much. I had Nokia Camera on my Lumia 810. It was nice, but I preferred the default camera app. On my M8, I prefer the HTC camera app. If 'Hey Cortana' comes to the M8, I seriously doubt that I'll use it.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Microsoft isn't looking to continue the Lumia exclusives. It creates confusion around a brand/product that is already WAY behind the curve. Let me explain. If someone asks be about my phone, the conversation usually goes something like this:

Them: Ok... I've saw one in the store and the sales rep told me not to get it. Do you like it?
Me: Yeah, it's awesome.... (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

The conversation does NOT go like this:

Them: Is it a "Lumia"? I heard those are better than the non-Lumias.
Me: Ummmmm, Ok.... (thinks to myself, 'this guy's a weirdo') No, this is the HTC One M8, same hardware as the Android version. (then I tell them more if I sense they are genuinely interested)

Also, you revealed your biases in that rant. You really have an axe to grind with HTC, don't you? I don't. I am rooting for Window Phone. I want every OEM that supports it to be successful. I want the ecosystem to grow. I want all app makers to think of WP as a must-be-a-part-of platform. My next phone might be a Lumia, or whatever Lumia evolves into, but it might not be. I have an open mind. Do you?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If MS is giving everyone the Lumia camera software, there is no reason why they couldn't include sensorcore as well.

If it is a hardware and software thing, then how come none of the released Android turned windows phones have it. Also it makes me wonder...since we are getting Android rehashes for windows Phones....will you ever see sensor core in those phones because it is essentially the same exact hardware as the android version just a different OS. That would require further modification just to add it, would it not?

My age is often brought up to dissuade arguments but unlike most people here I actually work selling these products and I work on a day to day basis with people/windows phone:

Most people are aware of Lumia branding and phones, due to the commercials and the amazing cameras. Most people are highly unaware that HTC and Samsung make windows phones...My own boyfriend did not believe me when I told him that Samsung/HTC had been making windows phones long before Lumias came around.

Even our very own WC members half the time forget that there are other windows phones besides Lumia.

From my own experience at my own job, the places I've visited thanks to work and the people I meet...A person rarely returns a phone(usually Lumia) because the hardware is bad or because it is not a Samsung/HTC.

My android and IOs friends love my Lumia and the camera......they don't leave their OSes because of a 'lack of choice'.

The problem is and always will be apps and it really does not matter what OEM windows phone has, this will be a problem until it is no longer a problem. People on WC think giving apps/features like Lumia exclusives and Hey cortana will make people want these devices. It's not that they don't want the devices...those things still wont change the fact we lack plenty of apps and the windows phone name is tarnished by "no apps' exaggeration.

Again I work with people daily using windows phone...it's actually my career aspiration hence my internship and other things I have recently begun working on myself for windows 8/phone....so as I tell people please don't pretend to know me or what I do or base anything off my age.

My opinions are less of a "Lumia fan" and more of someone who deals with this on a daily basis and gets paid for it :D

Oh above comments...I am glad to hear your windows phone experience.

For me it went

2012(HTC 8x originally....then Lumia 920)

Person: What's that?
Me: this a windows Phone.
Person: I never heard of that.
Me: it's relatively new. I am not a fan of Android or iPhone and I like being different. It's a wonderful OS and this is one of the best phones to date. If you're in the mood of looking for one check it out.t

2013(With the Lumia 1020)....

Person/People: Hey is that the phone from the commercial. the lumia?
Me: Sure is.
Person: I've never actually seen one up close. Is the camera really as amazing as they say.
Me: Get one and see. Spoiler alert, it is.

I actually got a lot of attention towards my phone back when I had a Lumia 1020 and it was instantly recognized as a Lumia when I had it.

2014(with the Lumia 1520)

Person: Wow that phone is huge.
Me: I get that lot.
Person; What's it called.
Me: The Lumia 1520
Person: Oh is it like that one with the camera.
Me: Not quite. Camera is still amazing but this one is more about its sheer size, the screen quality and all the other goodies that you don't put as much focus on the camera itself.

^anyone who knows me knows I always talk up windows phone :D I annoyed my mom so much with it, I got her on Windows phone and most people who come up to me recognize my phone as a Lumia first then a Windows phone.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't mean to be rude with the next thing I'm about to say, although it's probably somewhat unavoidable. Your reply is frankly too long for me to read. I read the first paragraph, and then I gave up. You've taken, what I imagine is considerable time to write back to me. Thank you for that. However, I don't have the time, effort, or interest in continuing this conversation if you write back a novel with each response. It is exhausting and irritating. Do you talk to people like this in real life? We are living in an age of text and twitter. Now I am not saying you need to limit your responses to a predefined number of characters, but for me to continue to be part of this conversation, I do need you to capture your thoughts succinctly.

Are you saying Lumia is behind the curve or Windows Phone? If lumia, I have to amuse myself with that because it is not behind the curve.....if you mean windows phone, I can agree with that...though i'd simply would drop the products that aren't selling than Lumia exclusives.

Oh I definitely have an open mind :) I very well may try an HTC. Quite unlikely, especially if it has inferior features compared to my phone I have now(See the camera) but you never know. Stranger things have happened lo. I also want windows phone to survive...For starters it kind of relates to my job and then that would put me into an interesting predicament, wouldn't. But more importantly I want to get awareness out there that this product does exists. That it is not inferior to android or IOS and the app thing is not as bad as people make.

I also wish the best for all OEMs, however I have no problem amusing myself at various ones who screw the OS over...Huawei for example.....I support Lumia(both during Nokia and now Microsoft). I also support Blu heavily.

I do not support HTC nor Samsung(though I will give Samsung a slight pass as they have done slightly better with the OS than HTC ever has. I don't care for either of them.

This has nothing to do with Lumia bias. And it's not bias. I am well aware that HTC's phone has some things my phone does not have. I am also aware that my Lumia does things that the M8 can't do or does it better and in the real world, most of their plusses and minuses are a wash not making any Lumia better than the M8 and the M8 better than Lumia. Which I will always point out anytime someone tries to hype up the M8 as being better due to a marginal processor difference and dismissing a phone like the 1520930 as old tech :D

With the name and power of Samsung and even HTC, they could do so much more with their devices and they don't. So no, I don't have a grudge against them. I simply find them irrelevant. Not because the products are bad(they aren't...they are great) but because of the companies themselves.
It's unfortunate the M8 is made by HTC...I am sure with Huawei the phone probably would have sold more than it has and in the grand scheme of things, the M8 unfortunately won't be that memorable of a device.

With windows 10, I want these OEMs to step it up....I wouldn't care if these features we have on Lumia go to these other OEMs. But I don't like the idea of

A. these OEMs who have done nothing really profiting off of someone else's work. HTC has impressed me with their own apps. While I still find most inferior to Lumia, they've done well thus far.

B. Taking away exclusive features from a SELLING PRODUCT......to give to a not selling product. Because in the end, you are slighting and taking away the very reason people supported your selling product.

I want windows 10 to succeed.....it's certainly the best tablet and Desktop OS out there presently. Microsoft has set a bar high with Surface Pro 3.

I want them to succeed with the upcoming Windows Phone future.. Stop making your own OS wait for apps and stop waiting on these OEMs like HTC and Samsung to save a platform YOU should be saving. HTC is not a flagship to carry the OS....it's quite obvious next to know one wants it. Even less than Lumia flagships. Until HTC and Samsung can step it up, then there is no reason to deal with them or acknowledge them because we all know, Microsoft include, that those two companies released amazing hardware and yet the devices are irrelevant simply because the companies do nothing with them at all.

Use a ATIV in one of their iPhone bashing commercials....I haven't seen an HTC commercial in ages, but didn't they have some kind of sponsorship with Robert Downey Junior. The only commercial I saw with the HTC was from Microsoft with Cortana and not HTC themselves lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05