12-23-2014 01:13 PM
70 123
tools
    If you're going to give the OP advice at least make it somewhat sound.

What does walking into a store and seeing the display have to do with it being a Pro and better than Nokia? Come on now.

As far as your Pros

1. Icon is announced to be getting Windows Phone 8.1 with Denim...so that's nill
    2. Battery Life.....Is subjective
    3. The Curved feel vs Nokia feel...subjective to you....So you cant count that as a pro or a con OVERALL except only to yourself
    4. As you said there is a Gestures app for Lumia that does the same thing so no point really mentioning Attentive settings really.
    5. Navigation Bar really isn't a Pro or a Con. Isn't that on all Windows Phone(not just hTC) that have on screen buttons.

Most of your Pros for the M8 are either already on the Lumia or just subjective to you. At best, if you take out the Camera from Lumia and the support and OS updates both phones are exactly equal to each other.......

Battery life is subjective, but you can objectively compare different battery capacities, and different drain rates. The M8 has a larger capacity and less avg drain than my 820. My previous HTC phone, the WP7 Titan, could last 4 days on a single charge and never lasted less than 2. The M8 isn't quite that awesome but it's still objectively better than my 820 in battery, and based on my previous HTC devices, HTC seems to know what they're doing in the battery department.

I was under the impression that the nav bar is a unique implementation by HTC, or at least HTC has modified it to have the swipe to hide/show? I could be wrong.
    EvoLuTioNHeaVy likes this.
    12-23-2014 09:12 AM
    Icon is announced to be getting Denim? Right on time my friend, can't wait. Glad they skipped Cyan.
    I owned the Icon as well as the 928 so I can compare the two with constructive criticism and I think I did that. OP can go into the store and play around with the HTC and test my Pros and see if they are true.
    You on the other hand just jump all over anyone saying anything negative about Nokia...
    And walking into a store and seeing the HTC means it is still supported, a Pro, not abandoned after 8 months like the Icon, a Con.
    HTC guaranteed 2 years of support and updates as well. Icon didn't even get a year and still will not see Denim until some time next year.
    Lmao the HTC 8x was still sold in stores for a good part of 2013. We see how long it took them to get that updated. Just because a phone is in stores does not mean it will get updated. Come on now you guys can't be this stubborn. Lmao I may be critical of the m8, but at least these points I make are valid.

You're harping because you can't see a display.

And now that is officially announced that it is getting denim you guys still want to hold it against it just because it is coming early 2015. Too funny.

Yet when the phone does get windows phone 8.1 and denim I do wonder what your excuse will be then since they will be on the same os.

But wait the HTC fans say that even if HTC stops supporting the m8 hypothetically at least we have dp....so why doesn't that same argument hold up for icon users who already are on 8.1?

Double standards are hilarious :)

The kicker will be if the icon manages to nab win10 before the m8 while being discontinued lmao.

Op, stick with what you have or give the icon a shot.
    12-23-2014 09:13 AM
    Battery life is subjective, but you can objectively compare different battery capacities, and different drain rates. The M8 has a larger capacity and less avg drain than my 820. My previous HTC phone, the WP7 Titan, could last 4 days on a single charge and never lasted less than 2. The M8 isn't quite that awesome but it's still objectively better than my 820 in battery, and based on my previous HTC devices, HTC seems to know what they're doing in the battery department.

I was under the impression that the nav bar is a unique implementation by HTC, or at least HTC has modified it to have the swipe to hide/show? I could be wrong.
    It's quite subjective since you can't truly say 100% simply because we all use our phones differently.

My brother has a 1520 that can last two days. Mime lasts 20 hours. Why? I have everything set to high brightness and mail constantly pushing and various other tasks. His is more casual usage

My bf icon lasts a day and half with medium usage and then the m8 we have lasts about a day with medium to heavy usage. So that's why I don't give that a pro or con simply because it is subjective to the user of the device.

I am not 100% sure nav thing so I will *shrug* since our Lumias have capacitive. It could be an HTC thing. I hope it is simply because I do not want on screen buttons on my high end phone.
    12-23-2014 09:18 AM
    Lmao the HTC 8x was still sold in stores for a good part of 2013. We see how long it took them to get that updated. Just because a phone is in stores does not mean it will get updated. Come on now you guys can't be this stubborn. Lmao I may be critical of the m8, but at least these points I make are valid.

You're harping because you can't see a display.

And now that is officially announced that it is getting denim you guys still want to hold it against it just because it is coming early 2015. Too funny.

Yet when the phone does get windows phone 8.1 and denim I do wonder what your excuse will be then since they will be on the same os.

But wait the HTC fans say that even if HTC stops supporting the m8 hypothetically at least we have dp....so why doesn't that same argument hold up for icon users who already are on 8.1?

Double standards are hilarious :)

The kicker will be if the icon manages to nab win10 before the m8 while being discontinued lmao.

Op, stick with what you have or give the icon a shot.
    HTC 8whatever is not part of HTC Advantage. You just cannot handle another company being good. It is sad, really. BTW, early 2015 for icon was an estimate. MS has no clout to decide when an OEM agrees to release updates.

The reason why Icon on DP < M8 on DP, is lack of updated drivers and firmware. No double standard, just a fact.
    12-23-2014 09:23 AM
    It's quite subjective since you can't truly say 100% simply because we all use our phones differently.

It isn't subjective if we compare our same usage equally across devices, which a sane person would do.
    12-23-2014 09:29 AM
    The reason why Icon on DP < M8 on DP, is lack of updated drivers and firmware. No double standard, just a fact.
    My Icon on DP was terrible so I agree. BTW I never once mentioned DP Superiorboy so mentioning "double standards" is hilarious!!!
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    12-23-2014 09:35 AM
    My Icon on DP was terrible so I agree. BTW I never once mentioned DP Superiorboy so mentioning "double standards" is hilarious!!!
    I liken it to using AOSP on an Android phone without updated binary blobs. It will usually work, but the missing API hooks and updated drivers hurts the experience.
    12-23-2014 09:37 AM
    Off-topic: I wish WC would convert to a new forum software. It's ridiculously tedious using Vbulletin Forum software...part of the reason I just use the app or tapatalk to reply. I had to come on so I can accurately reply to you two.

I'd love to see a more modern software on WC such as my favorite Invision Power Board or if we must, Xenforo. Plus it be good to be able to get alerts instead of checking to see if someone replied.

Sorry. /off-topic rant over :P
    HTC 8whatever is not part of HTC Advantage. You just cannot handle another company being good. It is sad, really. BTW, early 2015 for icon was an estimate. MS has no clout to decide when an OEM agrees to release updates.

It isn't subjective if we compare our same usage equally across devices, which a sane person would do.
    That is still subjective. For starters, to me good battery life is lasting 10 hours. If it can get through 10 hours without me needing to charge it, I am good. Anything past that and i'm blown away. I use my phone a WHOLE lot. It's constantly always going off with text, phone calls...me listening to music or going for a run and using this app or that app or playing games stuck in the airport traveling back and forth for work/school for east coast.

It is smart to compare your usage from phone to phone...However it is still subjective to YOU when you say the Icon has worse or better battery life than the M8. Not an overall fact.

So you cant just say it is a Pro or Con simply because your usage and expectations differ from my own and the next person. Besides for me, I always am either near a wall or have my portable charger for me so in reality my battery is almost never dead so I don't care really about battery life.

I never said you mentioned it. Your fellow friend in M8 arms, link, mentioned it to me yesterday. If HTC somehow breaks their agreement or is slow with updating the M8 to Windows 10, that DP makes that irrelevant if HTC doesn't support it.

Which brings me to....
    I liken it to using AOSP on an Android phone without updated binary blobs. It will usually work, but the missing API hooks and updated drivers hurts the experience.
    I agree(look at us agreeing on something). DP is cool and all to get stuff at the first glance. I had a terrible experience with DP on my 1520. I did it for 8..1 and update 1....but no more.

That's why when people use the argument "We have DP" so it doesn't matter if this OEM or that OEM never updates the phone, we still have support from DP.

That's true but DP is buggy and for a lot of users(Samsung, HTC and Nokia) it has caused issues. The only way I'll do another preview is if Windows 10 comes out. But no more because I can wait :)
    12-23-2014 10:13 AM
    Off-topic: I wish WC would convert to a new forum software. It's ridiculously tedious using Vbulletin Forum software...part of the reason I just use the app or tapatalk to reply. I had to come on so I can accurately reply to you two.

I'd love to see a more modern software on WC such as my favorite Invision Power Board or if we must, Xenforo. Plus it be good to be able to get alerts instead of checking to see if someone replied.

Sorry. /off-topic rant over :P

That is still subjective. For starters, to me good battery life is lasting 10 hours. If it can get through 10 hours without me needing to charge it, I am good.

It is not subjective. Battery life from one device to the next is measurable with the same usage. It has nil to do with what you define as good or bad battery life.
    12-23-2014 10:15 AM
    It is not subjective. Battery life from one device to the next is measurable with the same usage. It has nil to do with what you define as good or bad battery life.
    Yes...Adrynalyne, that is subjective. It's measurable BY YOU....and your experience and your opinion and observation. That's subjective TO YOU. Not me. You.

to help you out

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, experiences, tastes or opinions. To say that the battery life on the M8 is better than the Icon goes off of YOUR experiences and what YOU do with it. For someone else it can be worse.

For someone, the Camera on the M8 is the best thing(LOL) and better than any phone they used previously. Someone who used a Lumia and then goes to an M8 will likely feel completely different. Though in that case, it is actually proven the camera is better on the Lumia. But still even without being proven, that is still subjective between those who use it and expect different things from it.
    12-23-2014 10:29 AM
    Yes...Adrynalyne, that is subjective. It's measurable BY YOU....and your experience and your opinion and observation. That's subjective TO YOU. Not me. You.

to help you out

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, experiences, tastes or opinions. To say that the battery life on the M8 is better than the Icon goes off of YOUR experiences and what YOU do with it. For someone else it can be worse.

For someone, the Camera on the M8 is the best thing(LOL) and better than any phone they used previously. Someone who used a Lumia and then goes to an M8 will likely feel completely different. Though in that case, it is actually proven the camera is better on the Lumia. But still even without being proven, that is still subjective between those who use it and expect different things from it.
    LOL. Battery life tests can be done scientifically. The only one making it subjective is yourself. You are trying to argue against worse battery life in other handsets by preaching that it is all subjective.
    12-23-2014 10:51 AM

Battery life is an objective value. It does not matter how you use your phone.

A phone with a 2000mAh battery with an idle drain of 1%/hr is objectively better than a phone with 1800mAh battery and an idle drain of 4%/hr. It literally DOES NOT MATTER how any individual uses the phone. Micah, if you had a phone with an objectively better battery with the same idle drain and used it exactly the same way you use your 1520 to get 20hr, you would get more than 20hr out of it because the battery is OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

SCIENCE. IT WORKS.
    12-23-2014 11:00 AM

SCIENCE. IT WORKS.
    Best.Post.Evar.
    12-23-2014 11:04 AM

to help you out

You are an oidiot. We are comparing the same usage on two different phones and obviously there will be a winner. If you can't understand that then there's no point in having this conversation. My Girlfriend has the HTC M8 and it gets way more complements than my 1020. Camera quality is awesome and she loves her phone (previous phones, Lumia 920 (bulky) and G2 (not a fan of android.)

We got the DotView case yesterday (she loves it) and being able to completely control your tv, cable box from your phone is more awesome than I thought.
    12-23-2014 11:05 AM
    You are an oidiot. We are comparing the same usage on two different phones and obviously there will be a winner. If you can't understand that then there's no point in having this conversation. My Girlfriend has the HTC M8 and it gets way more complements than my 1020. Camera quality is awesome and she loves her phone (previous phones, Lumia 920 (bulky) and G2 (not a fan of android.)

We got the DotView case yesterday (she loves it) and being able to completely control your tv, cable box from your phone is more awesome than I thought.
    I love that you cant have a discussion without resorting to name calling :) this alone says more about it then you think.
    12-23-2014 11:55 AM
    So all 3 of you have actually scientifically tested these phones out....I assume all 3 of you have owned the Icon and had them both at the same time, using them the same exact ways and have some scientific proof. After all you're quoting science :P

And I am glad you get compliments on your M8 :) I always get attention and compliments on my 1520. The "oh it's big" and "Can I see that?"

and in the 1020 days "Is that the phone from the commercial?" :)
    Battery life is an objective value. It does not matter how you use your phone.

A phone with a 2000mAh battery with an idle drain of 1%/hr is objectively better than a phone with 1800mAh battery and an idle drain of 4%/hr. It literally DOES NOT MATTER how any individual uses the phone. Micah, if you had a phone with an objectively better battery with the same idle drain and used it exactly the same way you use your 1520 to get 20hr, you would get more than 20hr out of it because the battery is OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

SCIENCE. IT WORKS.
    Best.Post.Evar.

12-23-2014 12:03 PM
    I didn't claim anything about the icon, I just explained to you how it is quite possible to objectively compare battery life, and the M8's life is objectively better than my 820. Possibly better than the 520 (I don't have a whole lot of experience there), whichever phone my mother has (925?) and a little better than my father's 1020.
    12-23-2014 12:06 PM
    I didn't claim anything about the icon, I just explained to you how it is quite possible to objectively compare battery life, and the M8's life is objectively better than my 820. Possibly better than the 520 (I don't have a whole lot of experience there), whichever phone my mother has (925?) and a little better than my father's 1020.
    So that doesn't answer my question...you said SCIENCE, it works.

I asked that you all have experimented and tested these phones rigorously to come to these claims. Stress tests and heavy duty usage. Inside and out?

More importantly, you're comparing a HIGH end phone to a Lumia 820 and 520 and 1020...and 925? Outdated, Under specced phones from 1-2 years ago to a 2014 model?

Okay then.
    12-23-2014 12:18 PM
    I'm comparing the phone I owned last to the phone I currently own. Because I don't like to talk about things I don't have experience with.

The science part of my explanation is the science of capacity and rates. mAh is a unit of capacity- like a gallon or a liter. Let's use milk as an analogy for a battery.

You and a friend have one quart of milk. You pour your milk out at a rate of 1quart/hr, so your milk will be gone in one hour. Your friend pours his milk at 0.5qts/hr, so his milk will be gone in two hours. Your argument seems to be that people drain their milk at different rates, so you can't compare milk containers. Well, the fact is, you can. Lets upgrade both of you to one gallon of milk. You still pour the milk at a rate of 1qt/hr-your drain speed hasn't changed. But it would take you 4 hours to drain the gallon, because the gallon is objectively bigger. It would take your friend 8 hours at his rate of 0.5qts.

This directly translates to batteries. This is science!
    Adrynalyne likes this.
    12-23-2014 12:28 PM
    Hmm still arguing and name calling? That means this thread is now done.
    12-23-2014 01:13 PM
70 123