What will I miss if I switch to HTC from Nokia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd bypass the M8 for a Lumia if I were you or if your 822 is running smoothly stick with it and wait for amazing Lumia hardware to come out for Win10...But the icon is an awesome device and I am going to see if I can get one myself at full price since it is unlocked.

Or, you could read reviews from people that have actually bought and used the M8, instead of relying on the posts of a Lumia ******. :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Or, you could read reviews from people that have actually bought and used the M8, instead of relying on the posts of a Lumia ******. :)

I think he works at a carrier store, so he probably has at least played with the display model.

He has some valid points, but many are conditional (eg, IF HTC doesn't update, then...) and he doesn't like to acknowledge the current favorable conditions (HTC has been very actively updating), or when he does acknowledge this it's only to minimize their importance and call it a fluke.

He might be right, time will tell, but I believe he (and others) place a disproportional amount of weight on OEM updates, something I elaborated on at length in a post I will link to when I get to a PC.

The post, in summary: Lumia firmware updates have played three roles: 1) Updating the core OS, 2) supporting features that should have been present at product launch, 3) and sprinkling in a new feature here and there.

The developer preview covers #1 for all phones. HTC One already launched with all hardware features properly supported (#2, excluding hey Cortana). That leaves #3- if HTC stops supporting their phones (and that's a big if), by buying into HTC we only lose #3. The mistake most people make when thinking of Lumia firmware updates is thinking they're still bringing features #1 and #2. Now that all hardware features have been properly supported, Lumia firmware updates will not consist of much more than camera improvements and other small features. They'll probably come less often too.

Tl;dr Nokia playing feature catchup and the pre-devpreview era has given us a false sense of grandeur regarding Lumia firmware. Leaving Nokia is not as devastating as many on the forum believe it to be.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If their past history tells us anything I would say HTC owners will have to wait a great deal of time for firmware updates. And with wp10 that means many Nokia owners will be enjoying wp10 for months and months before HTC owners get it.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much everything that is coming from Denim .....Not to mention if you are able to upgrade to a higher end Lumia, you'll be receiving Hey Cortana which the M8 does not have.[/B]

While a Lumia requires Denim (and capable CPU) to get Hey Cortana, I haven't seen anything that said this will be an exclusive Lumia feature. The M8 is capable of Hey Cortana.

I'd bypass the M8 for a Lumia if I were you or if your 822 is running smoothly stick with it and wait for amazing Lumia hardware to come out for Win10...But the icon is an awesome device and I am going to see if I can get one myself at full price since it is unlocked.

The key word above is 'wait'. Wait for Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim... Wait for 8.0. Wait for 8.1... Wait for 10. It's always waiting. The M8 is an excellent phone now. I got tired of waiting for a mid to high end Lumia to come to T-Mobile so I went with the M8. Also, like with T-Mobile, there's no guarantee that Verizon will get a high-end Lumia with Win10.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
While a Lumia requires Denim (and capable CPU) to get Hey Cortana, I haven't seen anything that said this will be an exclusive Lumia feature. The M8 is capable of Hey Cortana.

The key word above is 'wait'. Wait for Amber, Black, Cyan, Denim... Wait for 8.0. Wait for 8.1... Wait for 10. It's always waiting. The M8 is an excellent phone now. I got tired of waiting for a mid to high end Lumia to come to T-Mobile so I went with the M8. Also, like with T-Mobile, there's no guarantee that Verizon will get a high-end Lumia with Win10.

Apparently the hey Cortana feature is dependent on sensorcore which I don't think the m8 has.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
About a week ago, I switched from my ICON - Verizon - with 8.0 OS (latest update) to the HTC One (M8) - Verizon - with "8.1 with Update" OS, which includes Cortana of course (no clue what 'Hey Cortana' is ?).

I was basically forced to do so because of the well documented problem with the ICON of 'sudden battery drain', rendering the phone unreliable.
This cost me $91 to end my Edge program early on the ICON (trust me, I will get VZN to credit this back shortly).
Anyway ...

What you *might* miss:

Dedicated camera button.

5 MP cam instead of 20 MP cam.

Power button is on Top instead of on the side with the Volume button. WTF?
This makes it a TAD more inconvenient to unlock the phone with your right hand when you pull it out of your pocket, or want to put in in lock mode.
Good news: HTC has a double tap option to wake up, and I installed the 'Nice Lock' app to lock directly from desktop. So, overall ... actually better than ICON.

Headphone jack is on the Bottom instead of on the Top of the phone.
This means if you have a 'kickstand' case like I to, the phone cannot be sitting vertically with a headphone plugged in. Another WTF ?

Another subtle thing. My "Bluetooth +" app does not show Off/On in its 'live tile' like it did on the ICON. No clue why. A minor disappointment.

Also, seems IE is getting 'hung up', in that suddenly shortcuts that I have tied to IE to bring up web pages end up with an error basically indicating that I do not have an internet connection. Not sure what's going on here yet. Reboot fixes it.

Upsides from switching:

"8.1 with Update" OS

Cortana (very cool)

Ringer volume and Vibrator intensity are 1000 times louder/stronger on the HTC than the ICON, where both were virtually non existent.
Whereas standby battery life on the ICON was good, it appears to be 2x on the HTC. So far ... ... ... I have not encountered the 'sudden battery drain' issue. If I do, and it persists, I'm done with Windows Phone (and I am a Microsoft MVP!) ...and I will switch to a Droid Turbo !

Speakers

So .... that's what I can tell you ...

===

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately that's because Verizon has been horrible with releasing updates and the one m8 ships with wp8.1 that doesn't mean you wont have to wait forever for wp10 (hopefully not).

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If their past history tells us anything I would say HTC owners will have to wait a great deal of time for firmware updates. And with wp10 that means many Nokia owners will be enjoying wp10 for months and months before HTC owners get it.
Pure speculation. The icon is still on the OEM 8 and that's pretty much what this thread is discussing, icon vs M8. As someone said "time will tell".
Since there is one M8 and many lumias the odds are in favor of a Lumia getting the update first. I wonder if the leaked M9(?) will arrive before a new flagship Lumia.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
"Pure speculation."
Well, I don't know about that. Where is CYAN (for ICON) months later ?
Meanwhile M8 (Verizon at least) had 8.1 w/Update out of the box.

= = =

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Customer service.

I have a HTC 8X and live in England, not trolling. If you live in the US and are planning to get the w8 on the most popular carrier over there then maybe... Just maybe you may have a decent time. Otherwise, avoid like the plague, no kidding.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Why were my posts deleted? I posted about the HTC Assurance program. Adrynalyne responded with the Tommy Boy reference. Is there some Lumia ****** mod that deleted them? If so, that is BEYOND STUPID. We are all on the same team. I have T-Mobile Jump, and I expect to go back to a Lumia/Microsoft device with Windows 10.

There was NOTHING inappropriate about my posts. Nothing that violated the rules.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why were my posts deleted? I posted about the HTC Assurance program. Adrynalyne responded with the Tommy Boy reference. Is there some Lumia ****** mod that deleted them? If so, that is BEYOND STUPID. We are all on the same team. I have T-Mobile Jump, and I expect to go back to a Lumia/Microsoft device with Windows 10.

There was NOTHING inappropriate about my posts. Nothing that violated the rules.
We're on the same team and you're using Lumia fan boy as an insult? I think it has to do with the fact you probably spammed posted(as you admitted) to get the 10 posts to post a link.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
We're on the same team and you're using Lumia fan boy as an insult? I think it has to do with the fact you probably spammed posted(as you admitted) to get the 10 posts to post a link.

You don't get it. It's not an insult. People like you seem to think there is such granular differences between Lumia and Non-lumia. I've had both. The experience on both is great. The point of my post was that if someone was such a lumia ****** that they deleted my posts, that is indeed beyond stupid.

And since you asked... A mod send me a PM saying my post with the URL was approved. Then it was deleted hours later.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, you may not be missing much in making the jump.

I owned a 920, then a 925 and a 8x. Surprisingly, the 8X is still my favorite of those three. Yes, Nokia has a better camera but outside that, the HTC for my taste was a little better. I now own a 1520.3 and the camera feels like the 925 I had...ok but not as stellar as the 920 felt. Maybe Denim may cha he my mind, but with MSFT pulling the strings officially, I'm not holding my breath.

People need to stop drinking the Lumia koolaid so hard. The only advantage Lumia now has is the camera sensor on their high end models and the fact that MSFT will put out the custom firmware still. Jumping from a Lumia to a HTC you're not missing as much...but it depends on your needs. If camera is important, Nokia is ahead. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

The saddest thing I've seen is people comparing the 830 to the One and picking the 830 over it. That was such a joke.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[Warn] Alright, I'm going to say this once. Enough with the flame baiting and name calling. If we cannot constructively answer OP question without name calling or flame baiting then this thread will be closed and points will be issued. [/warn]

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
You don't get it. It's not an insult. People like you seem to think there is such granular differences between Lumia and Non-lumia. I've had both. The experience on both is great. The point of my post was that if someone was such a lumia ****** that they deleted my posts, that is indeed beyond stupid.

And since you asked... A mod send me a PM saying my post with the URL was approved. Then it was deleted hours later.

HTC Assurance is offensive, apparently :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99