What will I miss if I switch to HTC from Nokia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes...Adrynalyne, that is subjective. It's measurable BY YOU....and your experience and your opinion and observation. That's subjective TO YOU. Not me. You.

to help you out

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, experiences, tastes or opinions. To say that the battery life on the M8 is better than the Icon goes off of YOUR experiences and what YOU do with it. For someone else it can be worse.

For someone, the Camera on the M8 is the best thing(LOL) and better than any phone they used previously. Someone who used a Lumia and then goes to an M8 will likely feel completely different. Though in that case, it is actually proven the camera is better on the Lumia. But still even without being proven, that is still subjective between those who use it and expect different things from it.

LOL. Battery life tests can be done scientifically. The only one making it subjective is yourself. You are trying to argue against worse battery life in other handsets by preaching that it is all subjective.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes...Adrynalyne, that is subjective. It's measurable BY YOU....and your experience and your opinion and observation. That's subjective TO YOU. Not me. You.

Battery life is an objective value. It does not matter how you use your phone.

A phone with a 2000mAh battery with an idle drain of 1%/hr is objectively better than a phone with 1800mAh battery and an idle drain of 4%/hr. It literally DOES NOT MATTER how any individual uses the phone. Micah, if you had a phone with an objectively better battery with the same idle drain and used it exactly the same way you use your 1520 to get 20hr, you would get more than 20hr out of it because the battery is OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

SCIENCE. IT WORKS.

EvoLuTioNHeaVy

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

to help you out

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, experiences, tastes or opinions. To say that the battery life on the M8 is better than the Icon goes off of YOUR experiences and what YOU do with it. For someone else it can be worse.

For someone, the Camera on the M8 is the best thing(LOL) and better than any phone they used previously. Someone who used a Lumia and then goes to an M8 will likely feel completely different. Though in that case, it is actually proven the camera is better on the Lumia. But still even without being proven, that is still subjective between those who use it and expect different things from it.
You are an oidiot. We are comparing the same usage on two different phones and obviously there will be a winner. If you can't understand that then there's no point in having this conversation. My Girlfriend has the HTC M8 and it gets way more complements than my 1020. Camera quality is awesome and she loves her phone (previous phones, Lumia 920 (bulky) and G2 (not a fan of android.)

We got the DotView case yesterday (she loves it) and being able to completely control your tv, cable box from your phone is more awesome than I thought.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You are an oidiot. We are comparing the same usage on two different phones and obviously there will be a winner. If you can't understand that then there's no point in having this conversation. My Girlfriend has the HTC M8 and it gets way more complements than my 1020. Camera quality is awesome and she loves her phone (previous phones, Lumia 920 (bulky) and G2 (not a fan of android.)

We got the DotView case yesterday (she loves it) and being able to completely control your tv, cable box from your phone is more awesome than I thought.

I love that you cant have a discussion without resorting to name calling :) this alone says more about it then you think.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So all 3 of you have actually scientifically tested these phones out....I assume all 3 of you have owned the Icon and had them both at the same time, using them the same exact ways and have some scientific proof. After all you're quoting science :p

And I am glad you get compliments on your M8 :) I always get attention and compliments on my 1520. The "oh it's big" and "Can I see that?"

and in the 1020 days "Is that the phone from the commercial?" :)
Battery life is an objective value. It does not matter how you use your phone.

A phone with a 2000mAh battery with an idle drain of 1%/hr is objectively better than a phone with 1800mAh battery and an idle drain of 4%/hr. It literally DOES NOT MATTER how any individual uses the phone. Micah, if you had a phone with an objectively better battery with the same idle drain and used it exactly the same way you use your 1520 to get 20hr, you would get more than 20hr out of it because the battery is OBJECTIVELY BETTER.

SCIENCE. IT WORKS.

Best.Post.Evar.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't claim anything about the icon, I just explained to you how it is quite possible to objectively compare battery life, and the M8's life is objectively better than my 820. Possibly better than the 520 (I don't have a whole lot of experience there), whichever phone my mother has (925?) and a little better than my father's 1020.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't claim anything about the icon, I just explained to you how it is quite possible to objectively compare battery life, and the M8's life is objectively better than my 820. Possibly better than the 520 (I don't have a whole lot of experience there), whichever phone my mother has (925?) and a little better than my father's 1020.
So that doesn't answer my question...you said SCIENCE, it works.

I asked that you all have experimented and tested these phones rigorously to come to these claims. Stress tests and heavy duty usage. Inside and out?

More importantly, you're comparing a HIGH end phone to a Lumia 820 and 520 and 1020...and 925? Outdated, Under specced phones from 1-2 years ago to a 2014 model?

Okay then.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm comparing the phone I owned last to the phone I currently own. Because I don't like to talk about things I don't have experience with.

The science part of my explanation is the science of capacity and rates. mAh is a unit of capacity- like a gallon or a liter. Let's use milk as an analogy for a battery.

You and a friend have one quart of milk. You pour your milk out at a rate of 1quart/hr, so your milk will be gone in one hour. Your friend pours his milk at 0.5qts/hr, so his milk will be gone in two hours. Your argument seems to be that people drain their milk at different rates, so you can't compare milk containers. Well, the fact is, you can. Lets upgrade both of you to one gallon of milk. You still pour the milk at a rate of 1qt/hr-your drain speed hasn't changed. But it would take you 4 hours to drain the gallon, because the gallon is objectively bigger. It would take your friend 8 hours at his rate of 0.5qts.

This directly translates to batteries. This is science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster